Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

you're not wrong that there's factional politics at play. The conservative old guard hates these kind of activities and has been working to stymie efforts at local levels around the country over the past weeks for shops or locals to sign on calls for ceasefire, Palestinian solidarity etc.

The call today wouldn't be possible w/o the direct elections and reform efforts of the rank and file over a decade+. Im overwhelmed by this today it's very exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And for whatever it's worth, UAW still has not endorsed the Dems despite biden's many strike like visits / grovelling / rallies during the big 3 strike. My dream for left near term political movement in US is for organized labor to finally ditch the worthless relationship with the Democrats, at the very least at the federal level. This will continue to drive that wedge between the goals of the UAW and biden's admin. Very cool

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

And for whatever it's worth, UAW still has not endorsed the Dems despite biden's many strike like visits / grovelling / rallies during the big 3 strike. My dream for left near term political movement in US is for organized labor to finally ditch the worthless relationship with the Democrats, at the very least at the federal level. This will continue to drive that wedge between the goals of the UAW and biden's admin. Very cool

The uaw read my posts in the i/p thread

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Dec 1, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
This older Jacobin article was shared with me to provide some historical context - It's good to see UAW leadership finally doing right by their rank-and-file.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Wisconsin just had a coalition of various labor groups file suit to challenge the Act 10 ban on (some) public unions. The key argument is unequal treatment for groups under the law, as the original Act exemption included Police, Firefighter, and some other public safety types (Troopers, because they formed Scott Walker's safety detail). The major donors to his campaign, coincidentally. Interestingly they did not exempt all public safety - Dept. of Natural Resources Conservation Officers got their union busted into an association, but their membership has been increasing lately. My last Federation of Labor meeting, one of their members said that their chapter has gone from 6 officers to over 60 in the past few months, as conditions are really bad. lovely times get union cards Employee Association Cards signed.

Hoping the new, more liberal State Supreme Court make up will be favorable.
https://www.wpr.org/act-10-collective-bargaining-ban-lawsuit-supreme-court

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loving momentum like this, I hope the big 3 strike inspires many more non-union auto shops to join the movement. I know UAW is also finally committing resources to new organizing in the south. LFG.

https://twitter.com/UAW/status/1732769997292724671?s=20

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

wow. I thought VW was unionized there because there is this story about the power of German unions—how they didn’t want to approve the expansion/threatened strike over the US facility without it being unionized from the start.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Does only UAW unionise students or are other unions also active in this field? Why did the UAW decide to focus on students anyway? Since it seems a bit foreign to the other sectors it is active in, but maybe I'm missing the history here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Other unions do organize academic workers/students, but idk the answer to your 2nd q. I think it's bc a change in labor law under Bush + a way for UAW to combat shrinking membership numbers from deindustrialization? There's probably something published about the history and strategy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sube posted:

Why did the UAW decide to focus on students anyway? Since it seems a bit foreign to the other sectors it is active in, but maybe I'm missing the history here.

the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America is rather a big tent union. Academic staff compromise 25% of membership. They expanded to office/technical professions in the 60s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/nihfellowsunite/status/1732858533384016248

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Geight posted:

This older Jacobin article was shared with me to provide some historical context - It's good to see UAW leadership finally doing right by their rank-and-file.
amongst the people i know here in nyc, perhaps unsurprisingly, there are a good number of liberal UAW professional workers who are upset about the international's call for a ceasefire. i mean, no big surprise i guess.

kinda funny that it runs counter to conventional narratives

In Training posted:

you're not wrong that there's factional politics at play. The conservative old guard hates these kind of activities and has been working to stymie efforts at local levels around the country over the past weeks for shops or locals to sign on calls for ceasefire, Palestinian solidarity etc.

The call today wouldn't be possible w/o the direct elections and reform efforts of the rank and file over a decade+. Im overwhelmed by this today it's very exciting
mm hmm. my impression has been that plenty of "old guard" PERSONALLY support a ceasefire, but think it's a bad idea for the union to speak on the matter.

they are loving idiot losers whose time has come to move along. some talented, experienced, losers, but losers all the same.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lolling at the swedish tesla auto workers strike has been continually expanding via sympathy actions

started with the auto workers, then dock workers refused to unload cars in harbor, then no mail (including license plates), or cleaning. pension funds are recommending divesting and in the last week danish unions have taken up sympathy actions as well, so they cant unload the cars over here and drive them over either

theyre basically completely cut off from any other unionized company in sweden and denmark, which pretty much means any company larger than 3 employees

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Dec 8, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Now that’s paper

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

lolling at the swedish tesla auto workers strike has been continually expanding via sympathy actions

started with the auto workers, then dock workers refused to unload cars in harbor, then no mail (including license plates), or cleaning. pension funds are recommending divesting and in the last week danish unions have taken up sympathy actions as well, so they cant unload the cars over here and drive them over either

theyre basically completely cut off from any other unionized company in sweden and denmark, which pretty much means any company larger than 3 employees

international solidarity ftw

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Scandinavian unions are notoriously passive too iirc so lol that musk managed to piss them off this badly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zodium posted:

international solidarity ftw

gently caress yea

Agean90 posted:

Scandinavian unions are notoriously passive too iirc so lol that musk managed to piss them off this badly

yeah it can take a while before they go into action. theyve been trying to get tesla to negotiate for a long rear end time, its only in the last couple months that it really started popping off. but once a strike is on, thats when picket lines & sympathy actions really show their power.

i mean musk could pay scabs for centuries if he wanted, so the only way to stop him is to cut him off. he cant scab the entire infrastructure of multiple countries (yet, anyway, and he probably wouldnt want to either lol)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: the union has a p good site here with press releases, faqs for workers, journalists, quotes from workers, etc.

https://www.ifmetall.se/aktuellt/tesla/

cursory glance at the auto google translations look ok

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Sbux posted a document in all the union stores that was basically just an open letter to our union prez saying they want to restart bargaining next month, I'm not knowledgeable enough about this stuff to know for sure if I should interpret that as a good sign but I'm choosing to because I want it to be a good sign.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NoU posted:

i forget where i read the story, but it wrote in jest UAW should be renamed United Academic Workers because of how union numbers have grown purely from the rise in academic unions

sube posted:

Does only UAW unionise students or are other unions also active in this field? Why did the UAW decide to focus on students anyway? Since it seems a bit foreign to the other sectors it is active in, but maybe I'm missing the history here.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/19/1206209107/united-auto-workers-union-uaw-membership-grad-students-big-3-strike

The article doesn't exactly explain how it got started, but it evidently works for UAW because academic workers have expanded their membership more than any other profession recently. As for why choose UAW, postdoc unions have been going that way because UAW has a track record of recent successes, so why not?

Elsewhere in the Anglosphere private universities are not as prominent so academic workers tend to belong to public sector unions, if any. Well I suppose that doesn't explain why public sector unions never had much of a foothold in higher education in the US but I'm sure there are reasons, predictable and otherwise.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it can also be a matter of ‘what union is around and active near me?’ the Milwaukee art museum unionized with machinists, for example

there are no actual rules, just traditions.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah in Canada there's like three or four union starbucks that signed up with the steelworkers union and refer to themselves as steelbucks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nordic unions are exclusively trade-specific, i mean you can be a member of any union you want or no union, but any company that wants to employ workers in some trades has to sign the agreements with the unions that represent those trades

also, sanitation workers are saying they will strike against tesla sweden from dec 24

and they just got fined for having uncertified workers drive forklifts lmao
https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/sverige/tesla-botfalls-brister-upptackta-pa-fabriken/

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Amazing photojournalism showing the effects of a transit strike in Finland

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Student workers put up a notice that they're organizing with UAW. :black101:

Don't quite know how that works since they're all part-time, but I doubt UAW blew smoke up their rear end.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
student workers are unionized here at UW, works just fine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Student workers put up a notice that they're organizing with UAW. :black101:

Don't quite know how that works since they're all part-time, but I doubt UAW blew smoke up their rear end.

part time workers can still unionize! Good on em and judging from recent history, that election is going to be a landslide yes vote

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah the two union jobs I've had both had mandatory membership for part-time workers. You don't want to give management any way of dividing people up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dunno how it works elsewhere but grad students in Canada typically have the union cover teaching/research assistant contracts including hours, hourly pay and benefits, and negotiate for minimum total compensation without having any direct control over grant/scholarship funding.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Who’s the fuckin scab with the pallet jack?

More seriously, good on the AKT. Go get em, boys and girls.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
who wants to read some true bullshit lmao https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/society-equity/starbucks-did-not-use-anti-union-playbook-against-employees-report-2023-12-13/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"the coffee chain appointed labor relations expert" oh this seems like a trustworthy person :rolleye:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Juan Valdez has decades of experience in labour relations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Juan Valdez has decades of experience in labour relations.

i might be missing something but i was talking about thomas mackall whos on the employer side. thus "expert :rolleye:"

for the record, the telegram goes:

quote:

Dec 13 (Reuters) - Starbucks (SBUX.O) did not engage in any anti-union practice during its contract negotiations with union employees at its U.S. stores, a report based on a third-party inquiry showed on Wednesday.

The coffee chain appointed labor relations expert Thomas Mackall in March on a request by shareholders to look into its labor practices following complaints to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) by some employees and labor groups.

They had accused Starbucks of engaging in "union-busting" activities when workers sought better wages, staffing and schedules.

The inquiry conducted from July to September called on Starbucks to improve the way it engages with unionization and revise its Global Human Rights Statement, but said there were no sign that it interfered with the freedom of employees to unionize.

"The assessment was direct and clear that while Starbucks has had no intention to deviate from the principles of freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining, there are things the company can, and should, do to improve its stated commitments," said Mellody Hobson, independent chair of Starbucks.

The Starbucks Workers United union, which represents more than 9,000 employees at about 360 U.S. stores, said the report "acknowledges deep problems" in the company's response to unionization by workers.

"If the company's efforts at dialogue over the last few days are sincere, we are ready to talk," the union said.

Starbucks last week reached out to the union and proposed to resume with a set of representative stores in January.

The NLRB declined to comment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

i might be missing something but i was talking about thomas mackall whos on the employer side. thus "expert :rolleye:"

Yes, I was joking that Starbucks hired Juan Valdez as their coffee labour expert.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my workplace is unionizing. we won the election over the summer before I was hired and we're entering the bargaining phase now. I'm a steward and working on rallying people to prepare for the struggle, including getting people to signal their support for possible collective action if management isn't accommodating. anyone got any good recommendations for ways to do this? I'm using materials provided by our umbrella union but my coworkers are all good natured liberals who don't quite understand what is happening and I'd like to use the right language to stress the importance of this process. i'm non-ideological when interacting with my reports, they don't need to know i'm a Communist for me to organize effectively, but I'm also generally trying to encourage radicalization among other stewards/supporting union statements in support of Palestine and stuff. we're in a tough stage right now where we have a proposed contract and management is about to attack it / do everything they can to undermine our demands, so I'm just trying to do what I can to prepare and help my union start the negotiations on solid footing

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

how is the bargaining process? how and what from the process is being communicated to the rank and file? are the bargaining sessions closed or open?

there are ruthless employers who are able to successfully snuff out a new union at this stage by dividing and conquering, especially if it's an uphill battle to do a strike authorization.

hard to give really specific talking points, because your best ammunition is going to be your workplace grievances and CBA demands. I'd focus on gathering as much institutional knowledge as possible and looking for stories to show your colleagues that management does not act in good faith in the interest of the rank and file.

you can't do labor action for palestinians if management uses the issue to destroy your solidarity and thwart the whole CBA process

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Jan 4, 2024

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Frog Act posted:

my workplace is unionizing. we won the election over the summer before I was hired and we're entering the bargaining phase now. I'm a steward and working on rallying people to prepare for the struggle, including getting people to signal their support for possible collective action if management isn't accommodating. anyone got any good recommendations for ways to do this? I'm using materials provided by our umbrella union but my coworkers are all good natured liberals who don't quite understand what is happening and I'd like to use the right language to stress the importance of this process. i'm non-ideological when interacting with my reports, they don't need to know i'm a Communist for me to organize effectively, but I'm also generally trying to encourage radicalization among other stewards/supporting union statements in support of Palestine and stuff. we're in a tough stage right now where we have a proposed contract and management is about to attack it / do everything they can to undermine our demands, so I'm just trying to do what I can to prepare and help my union start the negotiations on solid footing

gonna self-quote here, it seems what you need is an escalating action.

me! posted:

Take action. This can, and should, start small- everyone signing a letter to the boss, or wearing a matching button or T-shirt on the same day. Will these initial small actions solve everything? Almost certainly not. But the goal is to build power and build solidarity. People are going to be scared shitless just of wearing that button, then they go "oh poo poo! Even Bella's wearing the button!" and they feel encouraged, proud, and powerful.
Escalate. Wearing a button didn't work? Have everyone march into the boss's office at the same time. Have everyone leave their shift exactly on the dot instead of working free extra minutes like you're expected to. Be creative, it's different for every workplace. Keep escalating until you get what you want.
so in a workplace of good-natured liberals, what i'd do is do something small and non-threatening. write a letter asking the bosses nicely for things! the liberals will be like "wow, my boss, a Great Person, will surely do exactly what we ask, because we are nice!"

obviously, the boss won't do that, and you'll be able to go back to those people saying "hey, the boss didn't do the things we asked so nicely for. let's [wear buttons/tshirts/march on the boss together]" to show them we mean business

this is both great ideological indoctrination, to prove to libs that the boss is not their friend, and gets people in the workplace doing something together.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah, you gotta follow a path of escalation that demonstrates to the bargaining unit that management doesn’t give a poo poo about polite actions. buttons, flyers, etc. demonstrations are sometimes polite, sometimes not.

who knows, maybe they will! in which case, congrats

but they won’t. then it’s obvious to everyone that slowdowns, sickouts, work to rule, and maybe a strike are what’s gonna be necessary. no one’s gonna jump straight to a strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thanks! it's a remote workplace which complicates things a little, but having already won and entered the status quo period definitely makes us all feel more secure. it sounds like what we're doing now is the right thing.