Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Awesome joke, Bill.

And also very clearly not a comic strip recycled from the 1950s as evidenced by the very modern clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Bil Keane is dead, op

Contemporary Family Circus has always been a 50’s/60’s/70’s throwback.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
NJ.com with something about what Patrick McDonnell is up to.

quote:

“I just did a book signing and a woman came up to me crying talking about Guard Dog,” McDonnell, 67, tells NJ Advance Media.

“It’s just amazing how people get attached ... it’s really touching as a cartoonist,” he says.

The Guard Dog storyline started in late October and just arrived at the decisive moment when Doozy, the girl who loves him, officially adopts the dog. McDonnell, who lives in Princeton, says it’s the longest continued story he’s ever done with “Mutts.” But this journey has a bit more mileage left.

“The story lasts a little longer just to cement that bond,” he says of Guard Dog and Doozy’s happy milestone.

“My favorite strip out of the whole seven weeks will come out this Sunday,” he says.

Mutts, in which Guard Dog has a name now.

I think we should all know by now where "Sparky" comes from.

Santa's Victory Christmas (December 15, 1942)

Yes. That unmistakable character totally identified with Christmas...the Picture Book Man.

Sally Forth

Skippy (which I totally forgot yesterday, so December 6-7, 1935)

Peanuts (December 17, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Because of technical issues, Li'l Abner couldn't come to the thread today.

Thimble Theater (July 19, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 26-28, 1943)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Thank god

quote:

So, they're in Portland, Maine? Surely flying would be cheaper at that point.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

The famously chatty Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's still surreal how Phantom wasted all of our time. The thread put up with 3 years of Old Man Mozz's prophecy, and the Phantom being a huge dumbass every step of the way, and then the author decides to just.. give up. Phantom and Diana didn't just completely drop the ball at the last second, they actively stopped trying to avert their bad future altogether. Now they're trying to gaslight readers into thinking it's fine to let things happen as-is just because Phantom interpreted Kit's answer of when he decided to come back home as this vital clue that he's off the hook.

They've pretty much rolled out the red carpet for fate to come in and kick their asses.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

It's still surreal how Phantom wasted all of our time. The thread put up with 3 years of Old Man Mozz's prophecy, and the Phantom being a huge dumbass every step of the way, and then the author decides to just.. give up. Phantom and Diana didn't just completely drop the ball at the last second, they actively stopped trying to avert their bad future altogether. Now they're trying to gaslight readers into thinking it's fine to let things happen as-is just because Phantom interpreted Kit's answer of when he decided to come back home as this vital clue that he's off the hook.

They've pretty much rolled out the red carpet for fate to come in and kick their asses.

It's so weird, you'd think if you're going to do a years-long storyline about a horrible, seemingly unavoidable fate, you'd come up with a dramatic twist to avert it.

Phantom goes "oh! Maybe we averted it already? Ah well!"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Willo567 posted:

I just wanted to talk about a part of a comic strip i I grew up with, and it's the comic strips thread. I'll drop it
I don’t want to chase you out of the conversation.

I think my issue with Calvin and Susie hooking up is it’s just plain trite and cloying. It’s cheesy. And also to me Calvin and Susie are children and always will be, like the Peanuts kids or most other kids in comic strips. They don’t grow up and I don’t want to see what happens when they do.

But, on a larger scale, the old “boys abused girls they liked when they were kids” was a lot more acceptable to me than it is now. When I was a kid, that was a common sentiment, and kids acted accordingly, but in a way it dismissed and even encouraged abuse and the idea of associating that with affection. It’s really a very unhealthy thing to teach kids.

I still love C & H but that aspect of his and Susie’s interactions is off putting to me now, because it was obvious Calvin liked her and didn’t know how to handle that, and no one ever stopped to teach him, or teach her that she didn’t have to put up with Calvin’s bullying.

Strips are products of their time and it often shows, sometimes obviously with for example casual racism and sexism in older strips, sometimes less obviously with the way characters interact, like with this or the family dynamics in foob. I wouldn’t have batted an eye at that family 20 years ago. Now? Eeeeesh. :stare:

It’s all way more than you are intended to read into that comic strip but that’s what we do here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Murdstone posted:

I think my issue with Calvin and Susie hooking up is it’s just plain trite and cloying. It’s cheesy. And also to me Calvin and Susie are children and always will be, like the Peanuts kids or most other kids in comic strips. They don’t grow up and I don’t want to see what happens when they do.

But, on a larger scale, the old “boys abused girls they liked when they were kids” was a lot more acceptable to me than it is now. When I was a kid, that was a common sentiment, and kids acted accordingly, but in a way it dismissed and even encouraged abuse and the idea of associating that with affection. It’s really a very unhealthy thing to teach kids.

I still love C & H but that aspect of his and Susie’s interactions is off putting to me now, because it was obvious Calvin liked her and didn’t know how to handle that, and no one ever stopped to teach him, or teach her that she didn’t have to put up with Calvin’s bullying.

Strips are products of their time and it often shows, sometimes obviously with for example casual racism and sexism in older strips, sometimes less obviously with the way characters interact, like with this or the family dynamics in foob. I wouldn’t have batted an eye at that family 20 years ago. Now? Eeeeesh. :stare:

It’s all way more than you are intended to read into that comic strip but that’s what we do here.

The flip side is shipping Charlie Brown and Lucy.
Good grief.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

I think fiberglass hulls were still relatively new back then, so mass-produced plastic hulls isn't an unreasonable assumption. But the car/boat hybrid doesn't look likely. Can you imagine how many people would drive their cars into the water trying to dock with the boat hull?

The best the 60s could come up with:

Best the 80s could come up with:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 15, 2023

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Copper Ma is incredibly crafty, getting pneumonia/hit by a car in order to defeat the Cowboys.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Kris Straub hit the nail on the head with his "Adult Calvin" strip

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's apparently a Scandinavian thing for a girl to have candles on her head for the feast day of Saint Lucia.

It's honestly a really weird day. Saint Lucia is a catholic saint but all the nordic countries are protestant and have been so for a very long time. She and St. Olav are also the only saints we celebrate. Part of the day is also to eat buns called lussekatter, lusse cats, but they aren't shaped like cats. They're shaped like the letter S. They also have to be yellow and traditionally that is achieved by using saffron.
I actually celebrated the day in the kindergarten I work in on wednesday. The kids had fun and the parents got some nice pics and videos of their kids walking and singing. The buns even tasted good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Literally me October 16, 2004

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

instead of jumping copper ma was struck by lightning and filled with BASEBALL POWER

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Murdstone posted:

Certainly some of the C&H comics have ages poorly, but saying that Calvin abuses Suzy is a tremendous leap that strains the definition of "abuse" and needlessly holds the behavior of children to an adult standard.

Calvin and Suzy are six years old.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Schwarzwald posted:

Certainly some of the C&H comics have ages poorly, but saying that Calvin abuses Suzy is a tremendous leap that strains the definition of "abuse" and needlessly holds the behavior of children to an adult standard.

Calvin and Suzy are six years old.
That’s fair. It’s a strong word. Maybe bullying, but that doesn’t quite feel right either.

They both really liked each other and he was way too mean to her too often and it didn’t have to be that way and shouldn’t have, but it was more or less expected behavior at the time. That’s what I’m arguing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

That’s fair. It’s a strong word. Maybe bullying, but that doesn’t quite feel right either.

They both really liked each other and he was way too mean to her too often and it didn’t have to be that way and shouldn’t have, but it was more or less expected behavior at the time. That’s what I’m arguing.
Yeah. Basically even though you shouldn't really hold kids culpable for reflecting toxic cultural attitudes, you should still push back against those attitudes, is where I(and I think you) are at.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I mean, yes, but that's not a mistake on the comics part to be corrected; that's a major part of the premise.

There is a lot to criticize about Calvin's behavior. It's frequently very bad, and it's absolutely not fair to Suzy for her to be targeted. Calvin's parents should have done a lot more to guide Calvin. But his upbringing could be improved in a lot of different ways, and I think the comic is very upfront about that. Mom and Dad may be caring and supportive, but they're not always attentive and they don't seem to understand how understimulated their child is or recognize the trouble he has with school. Calvin is frequently left to fend for himself with very little guidance.

I think this is something people are likely to overlook if they've first read it as a kid, but Calvin's relationships with other people being troubled is a purposeful element of the comic.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 16, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Time travel is a really stupid thing to write about. After all, history is a mystery. That's why those two words rhyme - it's no coincidence.

For years I'd been thinking about doing a new comic called "Real True History", where I would provide amusing and fictitious perspectives on the events that have shaped man-kind. In a sense this was a trial run. And it taught me a few things: research is hard, history involves drawing a lot of items that are brown, and the past was extremely smelly.

What a story like this really needed was a lot of very opulent pictures of carriages and town squares and people being drunk in the gutter on gin. Unfortunately, on my tight schedule, I can only manage to draw one opulent building a week.

So I tried to show how Shelley and Amy would use their particular individual skills and talents to succeed in 1840s England.

Some people wrote to me to say that this story ends quite abruptly. I wrote back to them saying that this was the way of things and that it was time for a new yarn. All lies.

The truth is that I had no way to continue the story that wasn't so desperately brutal that my family and friends would have disowned me. Bob Crowley, Blackie and the Orphan are monsters, and once I let them out of the box, every plot I worked out extrapolated into Victorian nastiness played out in stygian gloom.

Here are some of my actual notes, the only other ending that was even semi-pleasant (and it is not pleasant): "Blackie stabs Crowley in his rooms. Blackie goes downstairs, drinks wine. The Orphan has poisoned it. She dies. Orphan goes outside with her jewels. Crowley in death throes falls out of window crushing Orphan. The end". Read on (and beware!)

Scary Go Round (September 20-22, 2004)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

JethroMcB posted:

Kris Straub hit the nail on the head with his "Adult Calvin" strip

Yeah, what I think people usually find off-putting about "Calvin grows up and marries susie and they have a kid named Bacon" bullsit comics isn't about the dynamics of kids bullying or abuse or whatever is going on in the above posts, it's that, at best, this is saccharine and maudlin, and at worst, it's loving boring.

"What if cartoon kid become cartoon adult" is not an interesting premise in and of itself. There's no story-based need to see how Calvin turned out, and even as a creative writing exercise "I think Calvin would marry literally the only girl in the cast and they would have a precocious kid and start over again" is also loving boring and lazy. It's a premise that doesn't work, because Calvin and Hobbes is essentially about childhood.

Part of this is a response to an increase in media that overly spoon-feeds every part of the character too the audience, and an annoyance with people who won't let just let stories end. But I think it's particularly egregious with C&H because the ending was already left intentionally open-ended, and it is to most fans, absolutely perfect.

You're adding closure onto something that doesn't need it, and that closure is basic and inane. These fanfic codas or epilogues are not better than "Let's go exploring."

And just to be clear, if you're reading these threads from over a decade ago, you probably saw a post combining all these fanfic comics into one narrative. That post was made by me, and it is some dumb cringy bullshit.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

gently caress you, Barry, you're supposed to have like a 12-grade intellect, and gently caress you Barry's mom for enabling this little baby poo poo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "440 - Jucika And The Ventilator"

Jucika's power moves are the best. :allears:

"441 - Jucika Picks"

Murdstone posted:

Seconding all this.

I think Calvin and Susie is... eh, it's fine, but that's all it is. It's a very safe option that works best if you have a very strong feeling about the sentiment of a lifelong soulmate that can be traced back to childhood interaction. Otherwise it precludes a life in which Calvin can do any number of things, including finding people who resonate with his (80s-90s childhood) weirdness and subtle isolation as he grows as a person. I liked all the chat in the thread of how Calvin doesn't make friends with other kids, it flew over my head reading C&H for the first time. I get the feeling that mirrors a lot of us here, myself included, so seeing Calvin slide down the storytelling assembly line to mirror his parents with the first girl he ever met is a bit dull.

Does Calvin have a happy life if he's grounded by his sensible wife who was also his childhood friend/rival? Sure. Is it annoyingly twee if he gives birth to an identically precocious bratty boy who he can pass Hobbes onto? Very.

In conclusion Calvin needs to go to high school or college and meet a bunch of other nerds and an alt/goth girl/partner, thanks for coming to my C&H Ted Talk.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 15, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think Hobbes should marry Cathy

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

This is the last essay in the book, and it seems she stopped including them in later collected volumes as well. So that’s about as straight an explanation we get of her whole relationship situation for a bit.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
RE: Calvin & Susie, I agree that the whole pairing is cliché, though it comes from the economy of characters in the Calvin & Hobbes strip were there's maybe 10 recurring characters. As for Calvin's treatment of Susie, I find it tempered by the fact that usually Susie gets the upper hand or Calvin gets some sort of comeuppance.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

My eyes usually roll past Intelligent Life, but this strip was featured on The Comic's Curmudgeon (the first time for that particular comic), who pointed out the problem. Will Reddick address it? Probably not.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (September 16-17, 2004)

First appearances: Esther de Groot, teenage goth and future protagonist of Giant Days; Big Lindsey, school bully and semi-friend of Esther; and that other girl whose name I can't remember.

I do like how important characters get introduced to the Tacklefordverse seemingly randomly.

Or maybe seemingly random characters end up being important later down the line.

And in this case, random character's seemingly unimportant younger sister ends up being one of the key characters.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/24-26/51

Archie 12/31/48 - 1/1/49

Only two Archies today to get lined up with the calendar again properly.

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 12/10-12/51

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kennel posted:

Or maybe seemingly random characters end up being important later down the line.

It's absolutely this one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

I think Calvin and Susie is... eh, it's fine, but that's all it is. It's a very safe option that works best if you have a very strong feeling about the sentiment of a lifelong soulmate that can be traced back to childhood interaction.

Which is itself a little odd. It's actually very rare in the real world for people who grew up together to hook up as adults. People might marry their high school sweetheart, but almost never their elementary school crush. It's been suggested that this is caused by the same brain wiring that keeps you from being attracted to your own siblings.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Calvin and Susie were already married and divorced in the same strip, on multiple occasions

checkmate child shippers

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Which is itself a little odd. It's actually very rare in the real world for people who grew up together to hook up as adults. People might marry their high school sweetheart, but almost never their elementary school crush. It's been suggested that this is caused by the same brain wiring that keeps you from being attracted to your own siblings.

wasn't there something about that with old European arranged marriages where they'd put the kids together at like age 5 or 7 so they could grow up together, and there was usually a very low birth rate between those couples?

And yes, we have seen Calvin and Susie marry and divorce many times in strip. He left to become Tarzan after she had a rabbit baby.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck it sounds like I combined two Holbrook strips there.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Cowslips Warren posted:

wasn't there something about that with old European arranged marriages where they'd put the kids together at like age 5 or 7 so they could grow up together, and there was usually a very low birth rate between those couples?

Yeah the Westermark Effect, which basically states that people tend to not be attracted to people they lived with as children. It's been cited as one of the causes for the decline of the French House of Valois, although from what little I've read most scientists think it' wrong.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Professor Wayne posted:

I think Hobbes should marry Cathy

Ack!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It won't work out, Cathy is already having Ray Smuckles's baby

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

I appreciate this thread for enabling me to get all of th' references in this Zippy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

Al is lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Safety Dance posted:

Thank god

So, they're in Portland, Maine? Surely flying would be cheaper at that point.

They're probably in RI because Feuti but they are probably taking into account getting TO I95 and maybe breaks for gas and meals and toilet