Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Does the Retroid Flip suspend the running game when you close it? I have kids and find myself badly missing the ability my DS had a decade ago to immediately suspend and resume anything you’re doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Arcsech posted:

Does the Retroid Flip suspend the running game when you close it?

It does! And I love that feature like you wouldn't believe it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

It does! And I love that feature like you wouldn't believe it.

Thanks! Now I have another purchase to explain to my wife…

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
It's a pretty reasonable purchase considering how inexpensive, yet capable these handhelds are becoming.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://anbernic.com/collections/christmas-sale

Anbernic is having a sale through 12/15, $5 off and it can be combined with other sale prices

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

It's a pretty reasonable purchase considering how inexpensive, yet capable these handhelds are becoming.

*me showing a chart to my wife which graphs reasonability rising over time as I procure more and more devices*

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sad everyone forgot it existed because for a brief moment before it sold out, Pimax were fire sale-ing the base model Portal for $150 earlier.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Arcsech posted:

Does the Retroid Flip suspend the running game when you close it? I have kids and find myself badly missing the ability my DS had a decade ago to immediately suspend and resume anything you’re doing.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for with the Miyoo Flip (which supposedly has a final design render now pictured here that does NOT have the Lisa Frank-rear end color scheme from the first renders, boo).

I just wanna be able to throw something in my pocket and open/close for short burst gaming and so I'm patiently waiting for the drat thing to be real.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Those loving analogue stick placements constitute grievous bodily harm in several jurisdictions.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lets hope Anbernic quickly offers their more ergonomic version of SP.

Also I expect an Anbernic version of RP4 with a better screen. Retroid probably knows the spec of Anbernic's upcoming model, that's why they announced 2 models at the same time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also I expect an Anbernic version of RP4 with a better screen. Retroid probably knows the spec of Anbernic's upcoming model, that's why they announced 2 models at the same time.

Supposedly they announced 2 models at the same time knowing no-one trusts them to not put a plus out, so in theory the 4 Pro is the 4 Plus but it's just there now. So you have the base 4 with a slight power boost over the 3 Plus and the actual big step up in the 4 Pro both out at the same time. That's what the Retroid rep told Russ anyway.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

there's not that many high performance SOCs readily available to these small companies so they'll tend to land on similar specs even if they don't know what each other are doing

the only other likely choice besides the dimensity chips is the RK3588, but that hasn't shown up in any handhelds yet. when it does it'll be the new king for linux enjoyers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's also not many more screen options, Anbernic probably aren't going to get the 5.5" 4K screen Pimax used in the Portal and Retroid are still using the iPhone screens they got. I doubt Anbernic have enough Vita screens to keep going with those. Though if they did put out a better looking handheld than the 505 I'd consider it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

repiv posted:

there's not that many high performance SOCs readily available to these small companies so they'll tend to land on similar specs even if they don't know what each other are doing

the only other likely choice besides the dimensity chips is the RK3588, but that hasn't shown up in any handhelds yet. when it does it'll be the new king for linux enjoyers.

I heard rumor of Rk3588s, which is on par with d900, or whatever the Allwinner equivalent. I think these non phone mainland arm chips are cheaper than D900 so Anbernic can push the price lower

If I am Anbernic, I would release the RG505 successor first, because the 505 is older than the 405m. Priced at exactly $200 but with a better 16x9 screen, then you have a winner. The 405 successor can come out later with a 6x4 screen. Let's say it has a RK3566 then it arguably is a better PS2 handheld than RP4. I don't know where they place the left stick because alot of people want the dualshock controller layout.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they should make another weirdly bulky one like the 503 but with a good chip, but still having those back curves instead of the straight slab

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

What determines whether a chip will have Linux support?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

driver support by the chip manufacturer, rockchip provides both android and standalone linux support but others like mediatek and unisoc only support android officially

stephenthinkpad posted:

I heard rumor of Rk3588s, which is on par with d900, or whatever the Allwinner equivalent.

yeah handhelds would use the RK3588S most likely, the bigger RK3588 is mainly differentiated by having a lot more I/O which would be pointless for this application

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 15, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Has anyone installed Drastic on their Miyoo Mini+?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/nds-drastic-rc4-89118093

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Has anyone installed Drastic on their Miyoo Mini+?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/nds-drastic-rc4-89118093

I haven't, but I did run FFTA2 on my 351M when I had it. Worked pretty alright in that at least, gonna vary a lot game by game though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Which has better controls, Miyoo Mini Plus or RG35XX?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
A month since I submitted my refund request to Powkiddy and nothing. Emailed 'em twice this week. Please take back this bad handheld so I can get a good handheld :smith:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

shyduck posted:

Which has better controls, Miyoo Mini Plus or RG35XX?

Best to consult Russ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdo44c2HsQY&t=239s

Note that he definitely liked how the RG35XX Plus improved in this department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEr_Pjsb_iQ&t=174s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you want a emulation device to hook up to the tv it doesn’t get cheaper

https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1735648797017911322?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

mystes
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1735648797017911322?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA
I'm seeing $269 so maybe it was a price mistake they correctly quickly

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think I'm gonna go with the Miyoo Mini+, I already have a 353P on the way for Christmas and it might be fun to try something not Anbernic (My collection is like 4 Anbernic devices and a PocketGo) that's also very pocketable. Seems like there's a good support community for it too

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MarcusSA posted:

Too bad you can’t run batocera instead of the no fun MS OS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsCjvo-jIU0

russ still really likes it, but would only recommend buying it at $200. currently the cheapest it is, is $270 on amazon for a refurbished model

- great combination of ergonomics, screen size and resolution
- gamecube emulation has improved a bit, GC/PS2 performance is better than T618 (Retroid 3+/Flip/RG405M) but worse than the Odin Lite. you'd be running PAL roms and settings tweaks/hacks on this at 1x resolution for full speed, 55-60% compatibility
- key mapping and video out are available for the device now
- still uses fat32 for the SD slot so you can't put 4+GB files on a card, which of course impacts PS2/GC
- PSP @ 4X pretty much perfect, some exceptions like GOW:CoO which runs full speed @ 2X. PSP (in his opinion) is the ideal system to play on this
- 12 hours of battery life, based on switching back and forth between cloud gaming and heavy duty emulation

that it still costs $300 by default just isn't in parity with devices like the Odin Lite and Retroid Pocket 4 which are $150-200. $300 can get you the base Odin 2 which is basically A+ emulation for everything currently available on Android, and also has the great battery life

it's still really tempting to me though just because it has those great grips and it's 33% lighter than the Steam Deck. but i'm not in any hurry to get one unless it drops to $200 or below

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

it's still really tempting to me though just because it has those great grips and it's 33% lighter than the Steam Deck. but i'm not in any hurry to get one unless it drops to $200 or below
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314916579122

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i've seen they have open box models on ebay. i'm still going to wait on amazon because of the ease of shipping/returns

but also because I still have the Retroid Flip and I should really get my money's worth out of that first or else I'm just contributing to the eWaste problem

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like also, the cheaper/smaller devices fill a niche, but once you get up to the size/cost of something like that there probably is less reason for it to exist compared to the steam deck

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mystes posted:

I feel like also, the cheaper/smaller devices fill a niche, but once you get up to the size/cost of something like that there probably is less reason for it to exist compared to the steam deck
I tentatively agree but the Steam Deck is pretty heavy and gets irritating to hold after a while, particularly in bed. which hasn't stopped me from using it all the time anyway, but it makes my elbows sore and my arm will fall asleep sometimes depending on how i'm laying down

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Have you considered getting an old Switch to mod it? It also has a 7" screen, costs about the same used but has shittier control. You can install android and run stream app on it.

Regarding the G cloud device itself, I think its price dropped too slow compared to other devices, that to me means Logitech hasn't made many and will not be making the mark II. Odin Lite/Pro will get more user support in the long run. 2024 will see many one-and-done pretenders exit the retro console market.

But if you really prefer 7" over 6" then go for it. Btw I don't believe the G cloud chip can do psp 4x. On my Odin 1 pro I already have to run half of the PSP driving games in 3x. I also have come to terms that no amount of upscaling can make PSP's texture look good so no big deal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most important thing for me is ergonomics. SD would be perfect if not for the weight. Odin has appealed to me but seems like it would not fully fit the hands like the 7” devices do. In Russ’ review of the 1 and Lite for example I think he mentioned his pinkies hanging off the device.

I also lost my job last week so I am not in a hurry until my income is stable again.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

shyduck posted:

[…] it might be fun to try something not Anbernic (My collection is like 4 Anbernic devices and a PocketGo)

Funny, I’ve been through quite a lot of these devices but been strict about selling ones I don’t use rather than amassing a Reddit-style collection. At one point I had 3 Anbernic out of 4 total (V90, 351P, 350M, 552) and now I’m down to zero from 5 (V90, Miyoo Mini, RGB30, Odin, Deck).

Really the V90 could go, but it’s been ever-present and it’s so cheap to not be worth re-selling. I’ll just pass it onto my kid as a beater device once he’s old enough to try games. Right now it lives in my car glovebox for “emergencies” (if one ever cropped up the battery would be dead).

The 7th Guest posted:

Most important thing for me is ergonomics. SD would be perfect if not for the weight. Odin has appealed to me but seems like it would not fully fit the hands like the 7” devices do.

I guess it all depends on hand size. For me the Odin is chef-kiss perfect and the Deck is “power through anything the others can’t” as I don’t have a capable gaming PC. It’s been weeks since I touched the Deck (bounced off Cyberpunk when it was last on sale) while I’ve used the Odin daily.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Deck is also the least miserable docked experience because SteamOS is designed for navigating with a controller and Android is not.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsCjvo-jIU0

russ still really likes it, but would only recommend buying it at $200. currently the cheapest it is, is $270 on amazon for a refurbished model

I got mine for $196 and I love it.

stephenthinkpad posted:

But if you really prefer 7" over 6" then go for it.

:wink:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
I've got a nuc for home media server hooked up running ubuntu, any reason to get a dedicated box for emulation?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Food Boner posted:

I've got a nuc for home media server hooked up running ubuntu, any reason to get a dedicated box for emulation?

Depends on the NUC and what you expect to run.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Froist posted:

I guess it all depends on hand size. For me the Odin is chef-kiss perfect and the Deck is “power through anything the others can’t” as I don’t have a capable gaming PC. It’s been weeks since I touched the Deck (bounced off Cyberpunk when it was last on sale) while I’ve used the Odin daily.
do you have the original odin, the lite or the new 2?

e: looking at retrosizer it just seems kinda small to me, like it's the size of a switch lite.. and i usually use my regular switch with hori split pad pro for hand comfort

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you considered getting an old Switch to mod it? It also has a 7" screen, costs about the same used but has shittier control. You can install android and run stream app on it.

I'm sorry, this is a thing? I have a switch from like day 1 and I can install android on it?!?