Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

South Carolina is weirdly one of the best for some reason. Illinois is also among the best and has a similar demographic and political makeup to NY and CA, but seems to be doing significantly better than them in terms of number of homeless.

Couldn't tell you what folks are doing here to keep people from being unhoused, it might be an issue with how the stats are recorded. I know I've seen an uptick in unhoused people working at a small-town library.

E: Hail Satan

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in 2016 la city voters overwhelming approved proposition hhh, which approved a $1.2 billion bond issue to fund the building of new permanent supportive housing. it was supposed to be a silver bullet that would immediately and visibly reduce the population of people living on the street. instead the city only began to see a significant portion of the total promised new housing units opening this year. in 2016 the promised 10,000 housing units corresponded with an estimated unsheltered population of 21,000 in the city. the city is now expecting to meet the total promised number of units by 2026, however the now the 7,000 or so units funded by hhh which are left to open over the next few years corresponds with a most recent census count of nearly 33,000 unsheltered individuals in 2023

to me it seems clear that it's a combination of difficulty in both getting units built quickly even when resources are allocated, and a rate of increase that is dwarfing even stepped up efforts to address the situation. my unscientific opinion is that policy makers and the general voter came around to embracing permanent housing as a solution to homelessness just as the housing affordability crisis began to change the nature of who is likely to become homeless and why. something like hhh would have made a real impact a decade prior, when a larger portion of the homeless community were individuals slipping through the cracks. it's not as effective when there start to be a significant number of people simply no longer able to afford the rent

i don't know much about new york's approach to the crisis, i'd be very interested to see whether it's a similar solution better executed, or a completely different approach to providing shelter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Triskelli posted:

Couldn't tell you what folks are doing here to keep people from being unhoused, it might be an issue with how the stats are recorded. I know I've seen an uptick in unhoused people working at a small-town library.

There has been an uptick in Illinois and South Carolina, but they are near the bottom in terms of rates compared to other states. So homelessness objectively got slightly worse in those states in 2022, but they were still significantly better compared to most states + D.C overall and grew at a slower rate.

Basically, South Carolina and Illinois started at 8 per 100,000 people and went up to 8.1 per 100,000 people. Whereas, California started at 43.7 per 100k and went up to ~48 per 100k.

Washington State and California are proportionately the worst states for homelessness.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

New York is the only make American city with a right to shelter law. Eric Adams has recently been trying to suspend it. But that's the difference.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/new-york-city-moves-to-suspend-right-to-shelter-after-more-than-four-decades/4739257/

Edit: beaten but yeah, NYC is unique in this regard. This is also a big reason why homelessness "feels" worse in cities like San Francisco even though the NYC homeless population is much larger.

Um...the whole state of Massachusetts also has right to shelter.

The other reason veternan's might have an easier time with housing is that members of Congress and the Senate can influence the VA and there are cutouts, exemptions, and all sorts of housing benefits now with vets. Where as if you are homeless, section 8 vouchers are a full loving decade behind.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rising housing costs is the #1 cause of the increases everywhere, but it isn't a 1:1 translation.

Illinois outperforms the trend positively.

Vermont performs disproportionately way worse and is actually in the top 5 for worst states.

Those weird outliers are kind of interesting and it isn't totally clear why some of these places seem to dramatically buck the trend.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going by several npr podcast segments, local vet orgs also have pretty decent ground game for getting favors for their demographic.

also we're one the page that Ron and regressives hate. hail

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Um...the whole state of Massachusetts also has right to shelter.

The other reason veternan's might have an easier time with housing is that members of Congress and the Senate can influence the VA and there are cutouts, exemptions, and all sorts of housing benefits now with vets. Where as if you are homeless, section 8 vouchers are a full loving decade behind.

The MA law only applies to families. No other major American city has a right to shelter that applies to all individuals to be 100% accurate

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PhazonLink posted:

going by several npr podcast segments, local vet orgs also have pretty decent ground game for getting favors for their demographic.

also we're one the page that Ron and regressives hate. hail

https://twitter.com/RonDeSantis/status/1735671610617499886

i guess some chud state rep decapitated the temple statue and now got charged with vandilism. i think whats funny is if the evangelicals saw past their own asses and realized that, the satanic temple might be in trouble because some clever lawyer could spin up some "its all a weird scam/joke" poo poo. instead the GOP think helluva boss style hell is real so they wont.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/RonDeSantis/status/1735671610617499886

i guess some chud state rep decapitated the temple statue and now got charged with vandilism. i think whats funny is if the evangelicals saw past their own asses and realized that, the satanic temple might be in trouble because some clever lawyer could spin up some "its all a weird scam/joke" poo poo. instead the GOP think helluva boss style hell is real so they wont.

Appropriate page number for this :devil:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Here's to another 666 pages discussing current events in the Great Satan

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vermont performs disproportionately way worse and is actually in the top 5 for worst states.

Housing in VT has in significant part gotten worse due to how well, relatively speaking, the state handled Covid. Starting roughly in early 2021 we saw a noticeable rise of wealthy flatlanders buying up places they could ride out the pandemic, often dumping cash offers well above asking to get them; one of my best friends was trying to buy his first place during this and had about half a dozen condos bought out from under him in that exact fashion. It's getting a little better now, but housing costs and inventory aren't likely to fully return to normal anytime soon.

haveblue posted:

Hail satan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Appropriate page number for this :devil:

yeah, its weird to me because my family was never strongly religious outside vague prot christianity. like personally id like to believe in some sorta of nice afterlife/isakei poo poo but won't know until i die and then it wont matter. but i like reading about religious history and herasys and stuff like that. so people like this who think satan is real and tempts you and all this crap always interest me because it doesnt even make sense for the weird literalist perspective these clowns come from because alot of the ideas of hell and the devil come from dante or milton or etc. idk hell is more interesting i guess. idk. idk i have always liked the idea of hell just being here but shittier and with no hope at all(yeah i know)

hail satan, hail yourself.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 15, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hail Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopeFgwApCM

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

haveblue posted:

No joke, just this morning I was chaperoning my 9 year old's class trip to the history museum. Throughout the museum they have these mobile mini-exhibit carts with a docent behind it. One of them (seriously) had a rotary phone on display. Just the phone lol. Anyway the kids were obsessed with how that's how phones used to work. Then my daughter picks up the receiver and says "wait... I want to dial something... SIX SIX SIX!" then hands the receiver to her friend and says "can you hear the devil!?!" None of the parents were pleased lol

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Thats a hate crime, but apparently only for the correct religions

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
other (non) 666 news, i noticed that a street with the 600s houses skip 666 for some reason. cowards. i wonder what % of streets in the US skip 666.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At my new job someone was giving me a number that started 666 and I made a little "oh spooky" comment. And then they asked why that was spooky. :negative: I was like "uh well its a number related to some superstitions and well jee let's get back to talking about your benefits, don't really have the time to get into it!"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PhazonLink posted:

other (non) 666 news, i noticed that a street with the 600s houses skip 666 for some reason. cowards. i wonder what % of streets in the US skip 666.

Don't certain floor numbers get skipped in various countries due to similar beliefs? I know I've been in buildings that didn't have a button for the 13th floor on the elevator.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

selec posted:

you won’t be getting your usurious college loans forgiven,

Gotta say, I'm a bit curious about actual polling on this, because this talking point seems incredibly resilient to the (admittedly not as simple as blanket forgiveness, because courts and senate) things the department of education et al are doing. And that's weird, because unlike say "Biden hasn't changed any Trump immigration policies", where if you're not an immigrant and not involved with activism you might not pick up on things directly, the student loan reforms and batches of forgiveness are directly impacting borrowers and the Biden administration is generally directly telling them about autoenrollment and their forgiveness getting processed and opt in programs and what have you.

I don't know if the total failure of any of that to stick in the pessimistic mind is just an artifact of certain internet information ecologies or if it's a symptom of a wider problem. Normally I wouldn't put money on the American general populace being informed but... this seems harder to miss among anyone who has student loans or pays attention to student loan developments.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

No building has a 666th floor that I know of

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a 666 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan (some people insist it's 660 Fifth Avenue; these people are wrong)

It was owned by the Kushners for a time and figured into a minor Trump administration side scandal

e: Also not to be confused with 666 Park Avenue, which was fictional

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 15, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Aztec Galactus posted:

That just gives us time to solve the problem before we build the space elevator.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Housing in VT has in significant part gotten worse due to how well, relatively speaking, the state handled Covid. Starting roughly in early 2021 we saw a noticeable rise of wealthy flatlanders buying up places they could ride out the pandemic, often dumping cash offers well above asking to get them; one of my best friends was trying to buy his first place during this and had about half a dozen condos bought out from under him in that exact fashion. It's getting a little better now, but housing costs and inventory aren't likely to fully return to normal anytime soon.

Snowbirds are an issue as well, they're infamous for coming from New York State and buying up winter homes for the ski season. There was record rainfall in the state as well, some towns had some serious floods and it was next to impossible to do any serious new construction this summer because it rained nearly every day.

Staluigi posted:

Thats a hate crime, but apparently only for the correct religions

It feels like violently beheading a religious icon in a fit of anger is a kind of celebration of Satanism, but I'm not familiar with the core tenants. It just seems like the sort of religion where it states in the rules that attacking the iconography makes you an honorary Satanist if you do it out of genuine malice.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Rudy just got hit with $148 million in total damages for defaming Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

Rudy just got hit with $148 million in total damages for defaming Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss.

I only just saw a verdict was reached. If your info is accurate then gently caress yes.

I assume it's going to be diminished? I feel like lofty jury-led damages are always reduced heavily by statute.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Scags McDouglas posted:

I only just saw a verdict was reached. If your info is accurate then gently caress yes.

I assume it's going to be diminished? I feel like lofty jury-led damages are always reduced heavily by statute.

This is the CBS reporter in the room I believe:

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1735771007892312544

Compensation + intentional emotional distress + punitives came out to 148 million.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hail Satan, I look forward to hearing about someone beheading Baby Jesus and using the same arguments these religious nutters are for their own defense.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Good for them, hopefully they can collect on a small fraction

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Aztec Galactus posted:

There's one I can think of that might but for some reason I can't understand the floor labels after a while. Like they were written in a different language or something. Weird.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Almost 150 million dollar judgement against Rudy AND page 666? Hail Satan.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Then my daughter picks up the receiver and says "wait... I want to dial something... SIX SIX SIX!" then hands the receiver to her friend and says "can you hear the devil!?!" None of the parents were pleased lol

I would be so proud.

Does Rudy have $150M?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

In the endless, almost insurmountably high to list number of people that have willingly walked through a buzzsaw for Trump and ruined their own lives, I think Rudy just claimed a new high watermark.

My political prediction is that this will do absolutely nothing to dissuade the scores of idiots still standing in line to be next.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

cgeq posted:

I would be so proud.

Does Rudy have $150M?

I don't think he has $10M, much less $150M. His apartment is apparently worth ~$5M and there are talks about him having to sell that to pay off any judgment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cgeq posted:

I would be so proud.

Does Rudy have $150M?

Doesn't seem like it.

According to CBS, he was worth more than $50 million in 2008 and was making $17 million per year. But, he lost his job and a lot of his money when he went through his third divorce.

He now makes around $400,000 a year, owes $1.4 million in unpaid legal fees, and is being sued for non-payment by two other people.

He's put his house up for sale for $6.5 million, but hasn't sold it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rudy-giuliani-net-worth/

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

This is a photo WaPo is using for the headline, and I think sums up the verdict.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Snowbirds are an issue as well, they're infamous for coming from New York State and buying up winter homes for the ski season. There was record rainfall in the state as well, some towns had some serious floods and it was next to impossible to do any serious new construction this summer because it rained nearly every day.

Oh absolutely, wasn't claiming it was the only reason. Was pretty tense watching to see if the dam outside Montpelier was going to overtop that one weekend; would have lost the capital if it had.

Doesn't seem like it.

According to CBS, he was worth more than $50 million in 2008 and was making $17 million per year. But, he lost his job and a lot of his money when he went through his third divorce.

He now makes around $400,000 a year, owes $1.4 million in unpaid legal fees, and is being sued for non-payment by two other people.

He's put his house up for sale for $6.5 million, but hasn't sold it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rudy-giuliani-net-worth/

Given he's more or less mimicked Alex Jones' "strategy," one expects he'll try to shrug it all off by declaring bankruptcy. I hope it goes just as well for him as it did for Jones.

Caros
May 14, 2008

They'll never get a fraction of that money since Rudy simply doesn't have it, but I suspect they'll each make off with a few hundred thousand at least when all is said and done. That and utterly ruining what remain of Rudy's golden years is about as good one can get for justice against someone like him.

You love you see it.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Hail Santa.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Caros posted:

They'll never get a fraction of that money since Rudy simply doesn't have it, but I suspect they'll each make off with a few hundred thousand at least when all is said and done. That and utterly ruining what remain of Rudy's golden years is about as good one can get for justice against someone like him.

You love you see it.

Just as with Alex Jones, getting the judgement is not the same as getting the person to pay up. Rudy could drag this out for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Just as with Alex Jones, getting the judgement is not the same as getting the person to pay up. Rudy could drag this out for years.

Unlike* Jones, it's less likely Rudy has that many years left.

*Assuming he doesn't have one chicken-fried-steak-revelation-too-many and explode, of course.