Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You do realize that *you* posted the Israeli source, right?

Then someone pointed out an issue with your summary, and now you're attacking the validity of anything coming from any Israeli source.

Seems backwards to me.

I genuinely wish you'd try to engage with what I am writing than try to own me with facts and logic. I don't think I've posted anything strange or contradictory here. Coming from my position of "no israeli source is trustworthy", which I think I've made very clear is my honestly held opinion, I still believe that -- even if everyone is lying! -- we can glean some pretty shocking information in the discrepancies between two figures coming from official sources.
The difference between 15% and 33% doesn't refute my argument. That's still a huge number undercounted! My argument to Kagrenak is that I think it's naive to think that Harretz or the israeli health ministry is publishing accurate numbers because they'll catch just as much heat for the real numbers. I think few sources in israel have access to the real numbers and that multiple elements of the israeli state apparatus are denying, hiding, or slow-walking figures for propagandistic (domestic or external) ends, but outside of the actual government and IDF coordination is necessarily limited. That point isn't constrained because it's coming from israeli sources -- it depends on it!

I am posting earnestly in this thread with my real and actual opinions and thoughts on the matter. I'm not trying to do some sort of weird troll thing to rile you up specifically. Even if I have commented on this thread elsewhere I promise you I am not posting in it (nor have I ever done so) to evoke reactions that I could quote in CSPAM or discord or wherever. I'm posting things I actually believe, and even though my first posts in this thread were sarcastic they were in service of points that I honestly believe.

e:
There's no moral point here, moths was wondering about IDF casualty numbers
VVV

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Militaries routinely downplay casualties on their side. I really don't see what the scandal is all about. Is it "wrong?" Sure, yeah, I'd agree. But it's pretty par for the course.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

ummel posted:

Militaries routinely downplay casualties on their side. I really don't see what the scandal is all about. Is it "wrong?" Sure, yeah, I'd agree. But it's pretty par for the course.

It's interesting to discuss considering how casualty adverse the IDF is. Casualty avoidance drives a lot of the military doctrine of the IDF. I.e. Airstrikes, driving around tanks without infantry screens, hanibal directive ect. The fact that they are all conscripts adds another dimension to the discussion. So for the purposes of discussing the Israeli military, casualty numbers and how accurately they are being reported are very important, because they matter a lot to the direction of the genocide that Israel is pursuing.

To be clear, Modern Israel is used to short victorious wars where conscripts are not in individual danger. A quagmire with 1000 dead after months of urban combat (not suggesting that number has been hit, just conjecture) would greatly affect public perception within Israel and its ability to conduct wars in the future.

National Parks fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 14, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ummel posted:

Militaries routinely downplay casualties on their side. I really don't see what the scandal is all about.

This seems to go way beyond "routine downplaying," given the massive discrepancy between what Hamas is showing/telling and what IDF is stating.

Earlier this week Hamas claimed ten kills in one morning, which would be (by Israel's numbers) ~10% of total deaths ...before lunch. Even allowing Hamas some inflation and Israel some downplaying, you still get a picture that's considerably less rosy than Israel is claiming.

My takeaway is that if the fraction they were willing to disclose was this incomplete and embarrassing, then the decision to not disclose 10/7 and the first three weeks is more telling than anything they directly announced.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sure seems like the Israeli minister deliberately embarrassed the US NSA here

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1735366761740980724?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

moths posted:

This seems to go way beyond "routine downplaying," given the massive discrepancy between what Hamas is showing/telling and what IDF is stating.

Earlier this week Hamas claimed ten kills in one morning, which would be (by Israel's numbers) ~10% of total deaths ...before lunch. Even allowing Hamas some inflation and Israel some downplaying, you still get a picture that's considerably less rosy than Israel is claiming.

My takeaway is that if the fraction they were willing to disclose was this incomplete and embarrassing, then the decision to not disclose 10/7 and the first three weeks is more telling than anything they directly announced.
Israel did actually take 9 fatalities in a single incident this week, so that may be a rare example of Hamas telling the truth.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/13/gaza-israel-soldiers-killed-hamas-ambush
With that said it's true that Hamas tells a lot of absurd and desperate lies when it comes to killing IDF soldiers, probably because they need to keep their fighters motivated in spite of their very weak results. cf this no evidence claim of 60 kills in a single incident (that as far as I can tell never happened in any capacity whatsoever).

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731195838926303435https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731211934031106188

No video evidence, as far as I'm aware, but they're pushing this story pretty hard; it's shown up at a couple of MEastern news orgs so far. It's a significant leap from what Hamas usually claims to have hit (in fact I think they usually just say things along the lines of "we dispatched a group of soldiers in this building" when referring to actual IDF casualties).

60 would absolutely be on the high side, but I also imagine that the ceasefire has been more advantageous for Hamas intelligence than the other way around: I can't imagine the average IDF soldier has much experience discretely sitting in the middle of a city full of people who can actually harm you, and the ceasefire meant they couldn't go tunnel exploring beyond noting entrances. One side's' had nearly twenty years to develop doctrine around avoiding sniper fire and bombing runs, the other is raising a giant steel menorah atop the roof of multi-level public utilities.

They also seem to be getting more aggressive in general if their announcements are anything to go by; perhaps they want to send a message that North Gaza is not neutralized, both for demoralization purposes & to drag resources away from sieging South Gaza.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Israel did actually take 9 fatalities in a single incident this week, so that may be a rare example of Hamas telling the truth.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/13/gaza-israel-soldiers-killed-hamas-ambush
With that said it's true that Hamas tells a lot of absurd and desperate lies when it comes to killing IDF soldiers, probably because they need to keep their fighters motivated in spite of their very weak results. cf this no evidence claim of 60 kills in a single incident (that as far as I can tell never happened in any capacity whatsoever).

This is, again, a bizarre expression of implicit trust in israeli sources while discounting anything else. Hamas rarely tells the truth, they tell a lot of absurd and desperate lies, there's no evidence of claims -- where are the counterclaims coming from? israel? We've already demonstrated how israel lies constantly, about everything, including within their own propagandistic apparatus. Where are even the casualty discrepancies between the IDF and the israeli health ministry coming from? Surely they can't all be friendly fire incidents?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm also scratching my head at the implicit trust of Israel - if you needed to characterize their actions in a word, it'd be hard to pick between "deceitful" and "excessive."

Which honestly makes sense for them - this entire exercise is, for them, more about managing perception than anything else.

October 7th broke the idea that Israel was "safe" which is the whole point of Israel. This entire campaign is an attempt to reassert that illusionary safety.

Israel needs to rebuild public trust or it cannot continue to exist.

They're obviously trying very hard to do this, but they've only got one drum. It's loud, and they're banging it real hard, but it's never going to play the PR symphony they need.

They're signaling that We'll try to get revenge for you. And that's a very different concept.

They would say that they're making their citizens safe by eliminating Hamas, but what they're doing is collectively punishing the Palestinians for Hamas's success on 10/7. The idea is that this disproportionate reprisal will intimidate Hamas's leadership or undermine their popular support.

Has an occupying force ever bombed its way into hearts and minds?

The longer they flounder, the more obvious it is that they cannot achieve their stated goal of eliminating Hamas. Lying about it doesn't help, and actively hurts their existential goal of rebuilding the public trust.

Consider the arrests of a bunch of dadbod civilians (in two takes,) driving different stripped randos to a mass grave, the Mexican-Israeli actress posed as a Palestinian ER nurse, the tunnel fiasco, the "invincible" iron dome, and now these impossibly rosy casualty numbers. None of this fools anyone.

It only signals that Israel needs to be perceived as winning, and they probably aren't if their victories are obvious lies.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 14, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

If anything did hold up as truth in this war it's the effectiveness of Iron Dome. Hundreds if not thousands of rockets fired from Gaza and how many casualties in Israel from them?

Sure, the rockets from Gaza aren't exactly cutting edge and this still disrupts Israeli society on a daily basis but Iron Dome as far as I can tell works as expected.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It has been known to work fine for a while now. At $60k per interception it really should.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Iron Dome is effective at a specific use-case (intercepting dumb rockets that travel fairly slowly), it does have the obvious issue of "they're exponentially more expensive than the rockets they're intercepting", which on an existential time & resource scale is a problem, but currently they have some stockpile of supplies for it. Will say that it's likely a combination of both the ID being good at its specific use-case, but also the rockets not being very powerful to begin with.

IIRC they've tried to sell both Merkava's and Iron Dome's to other countries, but haven't had much luck finding buyers because of the obviously niche use-cases of both.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

moths posted:

It's genuinely amazing how they found a way to speedrun every hard lesson America learned in 20 years of Iraq and Afghanistan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean if another country was essentially funding your Iraq or Afghanistan, why would you stop?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This is, again, a bizarre expression of implicit trust in israeli sources while discounting anything else. Hamas rarely tells the truth, they tell a lot of absurd and desperate lies, there's no evidence of claims -- where are the counterclaims coming from? israel? We've already demonstrated how israel lies constantly, about everything, including within their own propagandistic apparatus. Where are even the casualty discrepancies between the IDF and the israeli health ministry coming from? Surely they can't all be friendly fire incidents?
Israel lies when it can if it will benefit itself - I certainly wouldn't trust their "5000 Hamas members killed" figure, for instance. That doesn't meant they can lie about everything, though. Lying about IDF deaths would be really difficult and nobody has been able to point me to examples of it doing so in the past. Every IDF member who dies is specifically named, so if someone died and the IDF delayed the announcement of their death for a significant length of time their family would know due to suddenly losing contact with them. The Israeli government does not have the popularity or political capital to get away with doing this.

Beyond that, note how the 9 Israeli deaths were announced by the IDF and were news in many major publications. If the 60 deaths (a much more notable story!) incident was true, why is there no trace of it anywhere other than that one Hamas announcement? Why is no-one writing articles about it, and why did Hamas provide no evidence? The fact that Israel (like basically all parties to any war that has ever happened) will lie cynically to advance its cause doesn't mean that we should automatically believe the equally absurd lies of their opponent, or imagine that they're able to coverup things that they have no way to hide.

moths posted:

I'm also scratching my head at the implicit trust of Israel - if you needed to characterize their actions in a word, it'd be hard to pick between "deceitful" and "excessive."

Which honestly makes sense for them - this entire exercise is, for them, more about managing perception than anything else.

October 7th broke the idea that Israel was "safe" which is the whole point of Israel. This entire campaign is an attempt to reassert that illusionary safety.

They're obviously trying very hard to do this, but they've only got one drum. It's loud, and they're banging it real hard, but it's never going to play the PR symphony they need.

They're signaling that We'll try to get revenge for you. And that's a very different concept.

They would say that they're making their citizens safe by eliminating Hamas, but what they're doing is collectively punishing the Palestinians for Hamas's success on 10/7. The idea is that this disproportionate reprisal will intimidate Hamas's leadership or undermine their popular support.

The longer they flounder, the more obvious it is that they cannot achieve their stated goal of eliminating Hamas. Lying about it doesn't help, and actively hurts their existential goal of rebuilding the public trust.

Consider the arrests of a bunch of dadbod civilians (in two takes,) driving different stripped randos to a mass grave, the Mexican-Israeli actress posed as a Palestinian ER nurse, the tunnel fiasco, the "invincible" iron dome, and now these impossibly rosy casualty numbers. None of this fools anyone.

It only signals that Israel needs to be perceived as winning, and they probably aren't if their victories are obvious lies.
I find this post confusing. You state - completely correctly in my view - that the goal of this campaign is revenge, and to enact collective punishment upon the citizens of Gaza. But then you go on to suggest Israel cares about winning the "hearts and minds" of the Palestinians. They don't! They are not trying to convince Gazans to support Israel. They are making them suffer as punishment for October 7th. They are trying to put them in such bad living conditions (dispersed among various Arab countries? Expelled into the desert? Living under occupation in a camp in the shattered ruins of Gaza?) that their ability to resist will be severely damaged. They are harming and humiliating them to make an example so that other actors such as Hezbollah do not for one moment imagine that attacking Israel is a good idea.

They would do all these things regardless of how well or badly the war against Hamas was going (although if Hamas was successfully resisting you might think that Israel wouldn't be able to arrest and humiliate large numbers of men in the middle of cities Hamas supposedly controls with impunity).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah that is to say that Israel cannot make Israelis safe by pacifying Palestine with bombs; it Israel's foolish mistake to think that more bombs = weaker resistance.

They would do all these things regardless of how well or badly the war against Hamas was going (although if Hamas was successfully resisting you might think that Israel wouldn't be able to arrest and humiliate large numbers of men in the middle of cities Hamas supposedly controls with impunity).

No - if Israel were doing well they wouldn't need to present civilians as "captured Hamas fighters;" They would be presenting captured Hamas fighters instead.

moths fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 15, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean if another country was essentially funding your Iraq or Afghanistan, why would you stop?

Only about 15% of Israel's military budget comes from the US. That is a hilariously large proportion, but they're still paying for most of it out of their own pocket.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

moths posted:

Yeah that is to say that Israel cannot make Israelis safe by pacifying Palestine with bombs; it Israel's foolish mistake to think that more bombs = weaker resistance.

No - if Israel were doing well they wouldn't need to present civilians as "captured Hamas fighters;" They would be presenting captured Hamas fighters instead.

This does, of course, assume that Israel's objective is simply to eliminate Hamas rather than building a crude-but-adequate international excuse for genociding/ethnically cleansing the entire Gaza Strip. I think the former is a notion that's now long past its expiry date.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think they woke up on 10/8 and decided to kill everybody, but Israeli leadership panicked. They have one tool and it's indiscriminate violence. Which they applied as hard as they could.

Ironically, I think Washington shares my read that this is the shortest path to "no Israel."

Nobody in the West has sympathy for Palestine - Biden's "suggested timeline" is about ensuring there's still an Israel to hand over to the next guy. (Who hopefully isn't a total fuckup.)

kiminewt posted:

If anything did hold up as truth in this war it's the effectiveness of Iron Dome. Hundreds if not thousands of rockets fired from Gaza and how many casualties in Israel from them?

Sure, the rockets from Gaza aren't exactly cutting edge and this still disrupts Israeli society on a daily basis but Iron Dome as far as I can tell works as expected.

There's frustratingly sparse reporting on this, but I don't think the 10/7 rockets were ever intended to cause casualties - they were supposed to choke Israeli air defense and allow the paragliders through.

I'd bet a dollar that the "5000 rockets" were substantially fewer and full of foil, but nobody who could confirm that would benefit from saying.

In general, rocket attacks are designed to make Israel sound the sirens and flush $60k a pop. This keeps Israelis scared, which is something that benefits both Hamas and Israeli officials.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

moths posted:

I don't think they woke up on 10/8 and decided to kill everybody, but Israeli leadership panicked. They have one tool and it's indiscriminate violence. Which they applied as hard as they could.

On that note, there's this:

quote:

Compared to previous Israeli assaults on Gaza, the current war (...) has seen the army significantly expand its bombing of targets that are not distinctly military in nature. These include private residences as well as public buildings, infrastructure, and high-rise blocks, which sources say the army defines as “power targets” (“matarot otzem”).

The bombing of power targets, according to intelligence sources who had first-hand experience with its application in Gaza in the past, is mainly intended to harm Palestinian civil society: to “create a shock” that, among other things, will reverberate powerfully and “lead civilians to put pressure on Hamas,” as one source put it.

Source: https://www.972mag.com/mass-assassination-factory-israel-calculated-bombing-gaza/

Obviously it's completely backwards and could never work, but that's supposedly their internal justification.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

enahs posted:

Is there a term for the practice of people constantly (or at least partially) misinterpreting the other side's argument, expressing outrage/judgment at the misinterpreted argument they've imagined, and claiming ignorance of how the other side could misunderstand their own arguments? I feel like I've seen it several times in this thread and it is very tiresome to read, especially when it is the same argument that has been had before, just with different posters. I believe the first time I saw it was regarding reports of decapitated babies, then the Al-Shifa hospital bombing, and now sexual assault. It feels similar to whataboutism and gish galloping, but distinct from that.

The specific practice of misrepresenting someone else's position or claims to attack them is related to a strawman fallacy. The overall function is bad faith or motivated reasoning; the individual decides, on some level, that they care more about the sense of victory, about being impervious to attack, than being correct about other elements of the discussion. As a result their grip on reality, as expressed by the facts under debate or the positions of the person they're debating, is secondary.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even before Iron Dome existed rocket fire killed relatively few people - it was around 50 in the first decade. A single day of this bombardment kills more people than all the rocket fire over two decades plus combined has.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even before Iron Dome existed rocket fire killed relatively few people - it was around 50 in the first decade. A single day of this bombardment kills more people than all the rocket fire over two decades plus combined has.

While true, there were a lot less rockets pre-Iron Dome. Especially longer-range rockets which didn't start reaching places like Tel-Aviv until like 2014 and even then it was like single digit stuff.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looks like Qassams are hitting Jeruselam today.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/hamas-claims-responsibility-for-rockets-at-jerusalem-one-said-to-fall-near-ramallah-hospital/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IDF killed three hostages:

https://x.com/idfonline/status/1735725778250170731?s=20

quote:

IDF spokesperson:

During the fighting in Shejaiya, an IDF force mistakenly identified three Israeli hostages as a threat. As a result the force fired at them and they were killed.

During a scan and inspection of the area of ​​the incident, a suspicion arose regarding the identity of the dead. The bodies were taken for examination in Israeli territory, after which it turned out that they were three Israeli abductees

That's four they've killed by gunfire I think.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

In defense of the IDF, they could easily have been mistaken for Gazan civilians.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

In defense of the IDF, they could easily have been mistaken for Gazan civilians.

Made the same crack in the other thread. This is a monumental gently caress up it has to be on video or something for them to admit it I can't imagine not blaming it on Hamas like they have everything else.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Groovelord Neato posted:

Made the same crack in the other thread. This is a monumental gently caress up it has to be on video or something for them to admit it I can't imagine not blaming it on Hamas like they have everything else.

Does it? Because it feels like they're just loving up actively and openly and not even trying to hide it. I hear about at least three or more new horrifying and deadly gently caress ups every day.

At this point, them just outright saying, "Yeah, we killed the hostages we were trying to rescue. We shot them like a hundred times. They were unarmed." is incredibly on brand with every other thing they've done so far.

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/15/gaza-kerem-shalom-humanitarian-aid

More humanitarian aid is going to be allowed into Gaza. This makes me both extremely happy because it means thousands upon thousands of people won't starve to death, and overwhelmingly angry because the situation should have never been allowed to get this bad to begin with, and more people would be alive if the aid were allowed in sooner.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Just a minor oopsie. It's not like the IDF has been indiscriminately slaughtering civilians or anything.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/Lana_Tatour/status/1735747677521055794

Israel is screaming through a bull horn what their actual goal is, and we’re still supposed to go through the loving farce of pretending otherwise.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

I find this post confusing. You state - completely correctly in my view - that the goal of this campaign is revenge, and to enact collective punishment upon the citizens of Gaza. But then you go on to suggest Israel cares about winning the "hearts and minds" of the Palestinians. They don't! They are not trying to convince Gazans to support Israel. They are making them suffer as punishment for October 7th. They are trying to put them in such bad living conditions (dispersed among various Arab countries? Expelled into the desert? Living under occupation in a camp in the shattered ruins of Gaza?) that their ability to resist will be severely damaged. They are harming and humiliating them to make an example so that other actors such as Hezbollah do not for one moment imagine that attacking Israel is a good idea.

I'd add that I think another intended audience is Arab governments and Iran. Most debates center on Israel-Palestine in that binary logic, but within the mindset of Israeli leaders, they're trying to look tough to everybody else in the neighborhood. It's a cycle of vengeance and insecurity about appearing weak and overall they're simply not operating according to this mindset about winning hearts and minds. Joshua Landis gives an anecdote about Omani military officers he met and their reaction to the Oct. 7 attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHhhpCvtW1Y&t=980s

moths posted:

There's frustratingly sparse reporting on this, but I don't think the 10/7 rockets were ever intended to cause casualties - they were supposed to choke Israeli air defense and allow the paragliders through.
Fire and movement. The rockets could also help create confusion about what was happening, focus attention from first responders on the rocket impacts and away from the assault squads (and also delaying responses, even if by minutes, by forcing troops and cops into shelters). It's very logical during a big assault like that even if the rockets themselves don't do much damage. It's also not like the rockets are sitting around to serve as decorative furnishings. They're meant to be used, so use 'em or lose 'em.

To tie it all together, the "hearts and minds" logic applied to the U.S. war with Al Qaeda where it invaded Iraq from thousands of miles away and left a power vacuum that Al Qaeda exploited. But Hamas and Islamic Jihad and other groups attacked Israel with 2,500 guys from across the border in Gaza. Hamas also claimed around 30,000 members. Then there's Hezbollah that is stronger than any Palestinian group and has an alliance with Iran and there's a possibility of a second front, and so obviously, that reinforces a belief in Israel that they should smash Gaza at the expense of the Palestinian population there. Nasrallah also seems like a rational guy who has to factor what might happen in the event of a war in the north.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 16, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israeli-troops-filmed-brutally-beating-palestinian-photojournalist-in-east-jerusalem/

It shouldn't surprise me how naked and brazen the abuse is, but it still does.

A friend of mine who visited Hebron and Jenin in the late oughts told me that he was there with friends and family and they had planned a trip to Jerusalem. At the checkpoint, they split the group into three smaller ones, because if the soldiers saw a party of friends, they'd always retain one of more people for hours or send them back, just to be shits and ruin everyone's trip.

Obvious couples were also separated just as often, and everyone had a horror story of needing to take an elderly relative to another city for a medical exam or visit and then be told "Oh, your dad can go. You stay while we, um, check things." or vice versa. If you get pissed because this is happening for the 56th time and scream at a sargeant? Criminal charges.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

It has been known to work fine for a while now. At $60k per interception it really should.

60k is, as far as I know, really cheap for missile interceptions.

moths posted:

It's likely to be the mirror of the 'all Israelites are Opposing Forces Colonizers' mindset, in that it doesn't matter if they're actual Hamas fighters or not. They exist in Gaza, so they are The Enemy, it doesn't matter who they are. So it's no sweat if they gun down a bunch of elderly and children, they're just as Hamas as anyone else.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/OpiningChickpea/status/1735592025389498642?s=20

"Why can't you just protest peacefully? Wait, no, not like that."

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'd add that I think another intended audience is Arab governments and Iran. Most debates center on Israel-Palestine in that binary logic, but within the mindset of Israeli leaders, they're trying to look tough to everybody else in the neighborhood. It's a cycle of vengeance and insecurity about appearing weak and overall they're simply not operating according to this mindset about winning hearts and minds. Joshua Landis gives an anecdote about Omani military officers he met and their reaction to the Oct. 7 attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHhhpCvtW1Y&t=980s

Fire and movement. The rockets could also help create confusion about what was happening, focus attention from first responders on the rocket impacts and away from the assault squads (and also delaying responses, even if by minutes, by forcing troops and cops into shelters). It's very logical during a big assault like that even if the rockets themselves don't do much damage. It's also not like the rockets are sitting around to serve as decorative furnishings. They're meant to be used, so use 'em or lose 'em.

To tie it all together, the "hearts and minds" logic applied to the U.S. war with Al Qaeda where it invaded Iraq from thousands of miles away and left a power vacuum that Al Qaeda exploited. But Hamas and Islamic Jihad and other groups attacked Israel with 2,500 guys from across the border in Gaza. Hamas also claimed around 30,000 members. Then there's Hezbollah that is stronger than any Palestinian group and has an alliance with Iran and there's a possibility of a second front, and so obviously, that reinforces a belief in Israel that they should smash Gaza at the expense of the Palestinian population there. Nasrallah also seems like a rational guy who has to factor what might happen in the event of a war in the north.

Interesting podcast/show, thanks for this. I didn't know about him.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

He's also out of sync with his own party. I was pleasantly surprised to see more Democrats sympathizing with Palestinians than Israelis in this WSJ poll, but almost half sympathize with "both equally" which I find hard to understand.

I don't think it's that hard to understand when you consider that both "Israelis" nor "Palestinians" are diverse groups consisting of a number of factions and movements with differing strategies, goals, and aims, along with a large number of civilians who aren't particularly affiliated with any movement and/or just want to live their lives without getting dragged into war and ethnic cleansing. If someone is inclined to do so, it's easy for them to find groups on both sides to sympathize with.

Kagrenak posted:

It's like their strategy for keeping any specific atrocity out of the news is to just commit the next inconceivably horrible act so fast you can't keep up

Is it normal for ambulances to be taking discharged patients home in some countries? It's not the usual practice in the US - ambulances are for rapid response to immediate health emergencies, not for transporting healthy people around.

moths posted:

Did they ever actually present civilians as "captured Hamas fighters"? Several Twitter accounts certainly accused them of doing so, but when I checked their claims, I didn't find any evidence of that. Official Israeli sources stated only that they had captured military-aged males in an area that was supposed to have been evacuated, and they would be investigating and interrogating the captured men to determine whether any of them were affiliated with Hamas. I was not able to find Israeli authorities claiming those captured civilians as confirmed Hamas members.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

https://x.com/OpiningChickpea/status/1735592025389498642?s=20

"Why can't you just protest peacefully? Wait, no, not like that."

how the gently caress do they enforce this? Gonna arrest me for not buying israeli poo poo?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I liked this interview with a Shin Bet interrogator who met Yahya Sinwar.

quote:

While preparing for this interview, I read remarks by the interrogator Micha Kobi, who also questioned Sinwar at length. His description really sounds like it comes from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), definition of an antisocial disorder. He said Sinwar is emotionless, insensitive and cruel, shameless, lacks compassion. That he balks at nothing. That he seems to be pleased with the murders.

I agree completely. He saw murder victims as people who needed to die. From his viewpoint they were totally superfluous in the world – how come they're alive, anyway? He brutally murdered a barber. Why? Because there was a rumor that the man had obscene material in the barbershop that he sometimes showed his clients quietly, behind a curtain. A rumor, yes? No more than that.

Did you succeed in extracting what you wanted from him?

Yes. He provided detailed accounts. It was really easy to talk to him about the murders, because he was so proud of what he had done. When he spoke I thought about us, as interrogators, about all the resources we invest to understand whether we are being told the truth. That was of no interest to him at all. He tortured someone until he confessed? Yallah. Murder is permitted. He took no one into account, including the people around him. Only he decides.

Yes. It was also no problem for him to inform on his friends. He sees himself as a supreme authority.

He considered himself to be a leader. He always spoke with head held high, aggressively, authoritatively. He was not in awe of the interrogator – on the contrary: He was defiant all the time. I can read you what I wrote about him in the first interrogation. I kept it. "Definitely an anomalous figure in his personality, wisdom and level of intelligence. Religiously extreme, a believer, one who is at peace with his words and his deeds."

You were impressed by his intelligence.

Yes. He is super-intelligent. And also educated."

That's unusual in the landscape of Shin Bet interrogatees?

Yes. Very. All the top Hamas figures involved in the organization at the beginning were unusual. Doctors. Engineers. Students.

I read a paper by journalist Shlomi Eldar that dealt in part with a security prisoner who was the first to talk about the importance of acquiring education in Israeli prisons, in the 1960s. He said something like: With the ignoramuses and rabble of Gaza it will be impossible to defeat the Zionist enemy. Learning is essential. Education is essential.

That's it exactly. The entire senior leadership of Hamas at that time had studied at the Islamic University.

What else did you see in Sinwar? What did you discern about his persona?

Very ambitious. Incredibly charismatic. Everyone he sought to recruit to Hamas did not hesitate and said yes.

Sweeping charisma is also an attribute of psychopaths.

Look, he suggested that people endanger their life, confront the army. People usually respond to such ideas apprehensively and attempt to evade the issue. But with Sinwar no one declined. Everyone he approached was recruited immediately and agreed to every mission. This is what I wrote about him after the second round of questioning: "A Hamas activist in every fiber of his body. A figure of a leader with the personality of a murderer. During interrogation he was characterized by cleverness, guile, with operative cognitive abilities that were manifested in his field activity. A logistics person, and an amazing organizer and operator in the field." To you, I'll say that he hates Israel at an extreme level, which was translated in our presence into toxic comments, spoken with burning hatred.

Such as what, for example?

He told me in one interrogation: "You know that one day you will be the one under interrogation, and I will stand here as the government, as the interrogator. I will interrogate you." I shudder when I say that now, because just think: This is not so very far from reality now. If I lived in a community near the Gaza Strip, I might have found myself in a tunnel, opposite that man. I absolutely remember how he said it to me, as a promise, his eyes red. How did he put it? "Our roles will be reversed. The world will turn upside-down for you." You could see how much he believed in himself.

https://archive.ph/XForD#selection-573.0-573.12

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 16, 2023

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Did they ever actually present civilians as "captured Hamas fighters"? Several Twitter accounts certainly accused them of doing so, but when I checked their claims, I didn't find any evidence of that. Official Israeli sources stated only that they had captured military-aged males in an area that was supposed to have been evacuated, and they would be investigating and interrogating the captured men to determine whether any of them were affiliated with Hamas. I was not able to find Israeli authorities claiming those captured civilians as confirmed Hamas members.

Much like with American or Russian government announcements the default mode is to assume the opposite of what they have claimed.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

moths posted:

, the Mexican-Israeli actress posed as a Palestinian ER nurse.
This is misinformation you fell for, where they accused some random Israeli woman of being the (likely) fake Palestinian nurse

You shouldn't blindly believe everything you read online.

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/Lana_Tatour/status/1735747677521055794

Israel is screaming through a bull horn what their actual goal is, and we’re still supposed to go through the loving farce of pretending otherwise.
"An Israeli real estate company" doesn't set the Israeli government's policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Is it normal for ambulances to be taking discharged patients home in some countries? It's not the usual practice in the US - ambulances are for rapid response to immediate health emergencies, not for transporting healthy people around.

We do this in the US for certain discharged patients, usually when transitioning to home health care, or transporting back to a nursing home, etc. Types of ambulances can vary wildly too, not every one is equipped to deal with emergency calls, some just move patients from place to place (and bill the gently caress out of insurance for it).