Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently Congress slipped a provision in the latest NDAA (defense funding bill) that made it impossible for Trump to pull out of NATO without an act of Congress.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-nato-withdraw-congress-defense-bill-2023-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

We're a comparatively rich nation for our size, we have a lot of money to spare, and aside from that our military is somewhat active. We've contributed troops and materiel to pretty much every major peacekeeping operation, we were in Afghanistan and Iraq with the US. So we've got a decent amount of materiel, once again, despite our size.

Gotta maintain a credible deterrence for when things get spicy with Sweden again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

psydude posted:

Apparently Congress slipped a provision in the latest NDAA (defense funding bill) that made it impossible for Trump to pull out of NATO without an act of Congress.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-nato-withdraw-congress-defense-bill-2023-12

The Republicans got it in there, by my understanding.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/aronlund/status/1735588912460968011

The Afrika Korps are back and as nazi as ever.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That is an incredible rebrand

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

The Republicans got it in there, by my understanding.

To make him more electable I reckon

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Christ, they're not even TRYING to hide it. :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh poo poo, the Nazis have been found, and its coming from inside the house.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Austria has an army?? Who knew. They published a nice 30 minute recap "The Ukraine offensive has failed - What´s next": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjMr3RZ8Ss
It sums up the last 6 months or so quite nicely.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I would take anything coming out of Austria about the conflict with a grain of salt considering that they're toeing an almost-Hungarian line on a lot of points, including opposing further sanctions on Russia.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

PurpleXVI posted:

I would take anything coming out of Austria about the conflict with a grain of salt considering that they're toeing an almost-Hungarian line on a lot of points, including opposing further sanctions on Russia.

Oh! Thanks for the heads-up.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gotta sell those Glocks. I know next to nothing about Austria. All I know is Glocks. Do they have a Glock based economy?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

PurpleXVI posted:

Would you say they're in bed with Hungary? Some sort of, idk, austro-hungarian union?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Would you say they're in bed with Hungary? Some sort of, idk, austro-hungarian union?

You know, trench warfare has come back in style recently...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Gotta sell those Glocks. I know next to nothing about Austria. All I know is Glocks. Do they have a Glock based economy?

Based purely on my anecdotal experience, it's about 40% dairy and wine, 40% tourism, and 20% reminding everyone they aren't Germans.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Nah, Reisner position has been "The West isn't doing enough to support Ukraine and live up to its rhetoric" for the last 18 months or so. He's made a few dubious claims, but is firmly in the "Russia is an existential threat to Europe" camp.

Which is a bit awkward coming from a neutral country with still significant ties to Russia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Nah, Reisner position has been "The West isn't doing enough to support Ukraine and live up to its rhetoric" for the last 18 months or so. He's made a few dubious claims, but is firmly in the "Russia is an existential threat to Europe" camp.

Which is a bit awkward coming from a neutral country with still significant ties to Russia.

Speaking of Austrians with close ties to Russia, the WSJ is reporting that the western intelligence is pretty sure the Wirecard COO whose portrait you see every time you leave EU immigration was a Russian agent helping to launder money for Wagner.
https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/he..._mobilewebshare

Netflix has a good documentary on the whole scandal.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 16, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

psydude posted:

Based purely on my anecdotal experience, it's about 40% dairy and wine, 40% tourism, and 20% reminding everyone they aren't Germans.

Hey don't forget "you can ski the Austrian Alps too!"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I missed the entire country of Austria in a snowstorm once. Like, literally left Garmisch, headed to a place in Austria, and the next road sign I could make out was in Italian.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Austria does have Europe's best food, that I will give them. The only European country where I've never had a bad meal and never left a table hungry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

I missed the entire country of Austria in a snowstorm once. Like, literally left Garmisch, headed to a place in Austria, and the next road sign I could make out was in Italian.

Well that's a bummer, because the Fernpass (assuming that's the way you went) is absolutely stunning. I've done it late autumn and late spring and it was glorious both times.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've done it in better weather, and hard agree. I was used to the Rockies, which is a climb climb climb descend descend gently caress another mountain climb climb, and then I saw the Alps which just have these beautiful mountain/valley splotches with broad swathes of green that are impossibly beautiful.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In addition to making extremely reliable firearms, Glock also sells horse cum.

http://www.ghpc.at/en/at/glock-stallions/

Glock: for when you absolutely demand performance out of your shooter.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pantslesswithwolves posted:

In addition to making extremely reliable firearms, Glock also sells horse cum.

http://www.ghpc.at/en/at/glock-stallions/

Glock: for when you absolutely demand performance out of your shooter.

I worked for a law firm for a time that had Glock as one of their clients. They would send Christmas cards with the traditional object replaced by Glocks. Glocks on a tree, a Glock in a manager, wise men coming to bring gifts to a Glock.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

We're a comparatively rich nation for our size, we have a lot of money to spare, and aside from that our military is somewhat active. We've contributed troops and materiel to pretty much every major peacekeeping operation, we were in Afghanistan and Iraq with the US. So we've got a decent amount of materiel, once again, despite our size.

When I was in I saw Danes at every single one of my multinational deployments. Not a lot of Danes, mind you, but they were always there.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I wouldn't say they're reliable. They don't even have safeties

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

I wouldn't say they're reliable. They don't even have safeties

Look at hamlet. Dude just went off when he got dropped.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

S-S-s-s
A-A-a-a
F-F-f-f
E-E-e-e
T-T-t-t
Y-Y-y-y
Danessssssssss

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can dansk if you want to

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Wasabi the J posted:

You can dansk if you want to

You can leave your consonants behind

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Austria does have Europe's best food, that I will give them. The only European country where I've never had a bad meal and never left a table hungry.

Sounds like you haven't been to Italy or France.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Nice

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

A æ u å æ ø i æ å, æ a.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rust Martialis posted:

Lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

A æ u å æ ø i æ å, æ a.

Just a complete mockery of the entire concept of human language.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Finally, the true reason behind the Kiel Canal!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rust Martialis posted:

A æ u å æ ø i æ å, æ a.

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Non-Euclidian language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Non-Euclidian language.

That's why Tycho Brahe thought the sun revolved around the earth