Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

yo I just looked up where Alfira even is in act 1 cos I'd never actually seen her alive and not only had I twice managed to miss a chunk of the map I'd managed to miss basically a whole rear end music video

this poo poo is wild

I only found the sirens once in like 4 playthroughs, I am bad at that area of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grem posted:

I am seriously worried about the state of my game.

I went upstairs and killed Gortash before the coronation started by killing a guard and funneling everything to a balcony. Now the quest for the coronation is still there, I think all the guards are agro to me, and I still have the quest for the coronation. Will this all work out? I know act 3 quests are a mess.

Unless it's been massively patched (which I don't think it has), breaking the coronation fucks up all sorts of poo poo in Act 3, it's like the major load-bearing pillar of the act. Reload and let it play out.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

PantsBandit posted:

So I rolled a warlock out the gate. After playing with my friends in our coop campaign, they informed me warlock's whole gimmick is eldritch blast. And it is extremely strong, but it also makes a lot of my other damage spells feel redundant.

Anyone have thoughts on the class being one-note in this way? Should I consider switching to a different casting class?

A lot of spells do different things than eldritch blast, like AoE damage or crowd control. You can afford to cast a lot of spells too, since you get 2 (later 3) high level spells every short rest, and this is a game where you want to be resting a lot anyway for camp events. Up to you but I’d stick with it myself, my first run was pure warlock and I did a lot more than just eldritch blast spamming.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

So I rolled a warlock out the gate. After playing with my friends in our coop campaign, they informed me warlock's whole gimmick is eldritch blast. And it is extremely strong, but it also makes a lot of my other damage spells feel redundant.

Anyone have thoughts on the class being one-note in this way? Should I consider switching to a different casting class?

I tend to use cloud of dagger or hunger of hagar and then eldritch blast. Hopefully, even pushing them back into the AoE

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea, Hunger of Hadar, Eldritch blast to keep them in it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I think one of the most interesting notes in that interview is that Orin did originally always kidnap your romance partner if you had one, and they changed it because playtesters hated it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Monathin posted:

You don't get the Extra Attack anymore but you still get a lot of poo poo from going a more traditional split. I'd probably go Warlock 7/Bard 5, since that still gets you Font of Inspiration and the usual bag of Sword Bard tricks while letting you get 4th-level Warlock slots (and a third Short Rest, obviously)

That is true. 7/5 seems like it'd still be pretty good and get the spells I want. May give that a go.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Thuryl posted:

I think one of the most interesting notes in that interview is that Orin did originally always kidnap your romance partner if you had one, and they changed it because playtesters hated it.

rabble rabble kids these days, we used to have to save our RPG love interests from vampirism every run and we LIKED IT rabble rabble

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Knocked out Minthara in honour mode by using darkness cheese. As long as she’s just temp hostile I can just move on? The rest of the goblins are still alive, minus a few pockets in various corners that got smited (smitten? smoten?) on the way. Gut and the hobgoblin are still kicking. No one hostile.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The Hadar cloud spell thing at level 5 is awesome for crowd control.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://x.com/leonthecowboy/status/1735383710944395370?s=20

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PantsBandit posted:

As a Warlock you're basically only going to have 3 non-cantrip spells per encounter, 4 if you have an item or elixir. This can be fine sometimes because you can blow through a lot of encounters in less than 3 rounds, but using Eldritch Blast for your regular damage means you can use those spells on AOE, control, or Counterspelling. People have already mentioned Hunger of Hagar, you can cast Darkness with good effect because there's a Warlock power that lets you see through it yourself, allowing you to block enemies and still snipe them. Spells like Hold Person and Banishment are powerful for removing enemies from the fight, and Misty Step and Dimension Door are good for repositioning. Basically, if you can check off damage as coming through Eldritch Blast, you free up your slots for other kinds of spells.

Also Eldritch Blast does Force damage, which is possibly the most reliable and least-resisted damage type in the game, so you don't have the situation of 'oh no this devil is immune to fireballs'.

It does make a Warlock feel a little more like a martial class, because unlike a Wizard thumbing through their spellbook or a sorcerer modifying spells, you're are pretty much going to hammer Eldritch Blast the same way a Fighter swings an axe. That's not a weakness, it's just a matter of how you feel about playstyle. I preferred it because I liked having a narrower set of spells to use reliably than lots I keep forgetting about (also you can always use scrolls to supplement for the moment when you really really need a fireball)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Monathin posted:

You don't get the Extra Attack anymore but you still get a lot of poo poo from going a more traditional split. I'd probably go Warlock 7/Bard 5, since that still gets you Font of Inspiration and the usual bag of Sword Bard tricks while letting you get 4th-level Warlock slots (and a third Short Rest, obviously)

this is my plan for my Honour mode run, Swords bard 5 for third level spells (meh, bard spell list is mediocre for combat honestly), an inspiration charge and inspirations recharge on short rest then either blade pact warlock or oathbreaker paladin 7

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Thuryl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ4LjNK8w_E

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's almost perfect except that Nadja would be the Shadowheart of the party.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

yo I just looked up where Alfira even is in act 1 cos I'd never actually seen her alive and not only had I twice managed to miss a chunk of the map I'd managed to miss basically a whole rear end music video

this poo poo is wild

If you didn't, be sure to use speak with animals to talk to the squirrels watching her play. Also there are multiple ways you can see that play out, and it's funny, because if you help her by playing along with her, it's a very abbreviated version. you only get the full thing if you help her through the songwriting process. the best part was that I got this great performance and everyone in the party was clapping (except for Lae'zel who was off screen scowling), and then we promptly beat her rear end into the ground (to save her life).

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

exquisite tea posted:

BAFTA just released their longlist for the 2024 Game Award nominees. BG3 has 15 total nominations, just ahead of Alan Wake 2 with 14. I think this is the first time I've seen Samantha Beart as Karlach nominated for Best Performance alongside Neil Newbon and Amelia Tyler. A couple years ago they created a separate category for Best Supporting Performance and Raphael, Halsin and Jaheira's VAs are all nominated.

Emma Gregory getting snubbed

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:smugbert:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Knocked out Minthara in honour mode by using darkness cheese. As long as she’s just temp hostile I can just move on? The rest of the goblins are still alive, minus a few pockets in various corners that got smited (smitten? smoten?) on the way. Gut and the hobgoblin are still kicking. No one hostile.

You’ve got to resolve everything before you long rest or she just wakes back up.

I thought I was very clever and then had to reload before my rest and clear it all out again because she was at full health, in her underwear, with no weapon, surrounded by dead goblins, and fully hostile.

brilliant

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also having a bunch of level 3 spells wasted by a mega racist dwarf slaver spamming Counterspell only to shove his dumb rear end off a rickety makeshift platform and plummet to the bottom of a lake, killing him instantly, makes me :gizz:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ChronoReverse posted:

The happiest ending for her is actually to give the noblestalk to the husband because she then leaves him and starts life afresh. You'll get the gloves because you save him first before you feed him the noblestalk.

If you kill her husband, she just miserably continues to tend the shop.

There’s actually a hidden unmarked quest where if you kill the husband you can choose one of the cats that roams the lower city to move in with her to keep her company

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Geekboy posted:

You’ve got to resolve everything before you long rest or she just wakes back up.

I thought I was very clever and then had to reload before my rest and clear it all out again because she was at full health, in her underwear, with no weapon, surrounded by dead goblins, and fully hostile.

Goddamn it. Oh well, I’ll recruit her when I finally do a dickhead run.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ashcans posted:

As a Warlock you're basically only going to have 3 non-cantrip spells per encounter, 4 if you have an item or elixir. This can be fine sometimes because you can blow through a lot of encounters in less than 3 rounds, but using Eldritch Blast for your regular damage means you can use those spells on AOE, control, or Counterspelling.

Yeah, Warlock's well placed to be a utility caster type because Eldritch Blast is so good at covering all your offensive bases. By the midgame it's very easy to have it doing 2d10+16 damage in two shots, both of which can have significant knockback. So you can spend your 2-3 spell slots on the highest level CC/AOE you have and then just force bolt people for the cleanup. Then short rest afterwards and do it again. You can end up with 6-12 max level spellcasts per long rest depending on your level and if you have a Bard in your party which is far more than any other caster can get.

Also, don't sleep on Counterspell. There's a lot of fights that can be made much easier by keeping your spell slots and reaction open to shoot down enemy CC. In my warlock playthroughs, Counterspell was by far my most commonly used non-cantrip spell. One spellslot and a reaction to steal an enemy caster's entire action phase? Absolutely worth it.

Professor Beetus posted:

If you didn't, be sure to use speak with animals to talk to the squirrels watching her play. Also there are multiple ways you can see that play out, and it's funny, because if you help her by playing along with her, it's a very abbreviated version. you only get the full thing if you help her through the songwriting process. the best part was that I got this great performance and everyone in the party was clapping (except for Lae'zel who was off screen scowling), and then we promptly beat her rear end into the ground (to save her life).

On the other hand, if you successfully pass the checks to play along with her you will get free musical instrument proficiency if you don't already have it. Not super important, but nice to grab if you're on a cha-heavy class that doesn't start with it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thuryl posted:

Dragon's Dogma except with actual emotional attachment to your Beloved instead of it just being Fournival Madeleine Feste.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
For some reason this time in the Harpy fight one of them dropped... a rare bone?

I'm annoyed that I can't try to feed it to Gale because I'm on a Durge run.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

Yeah, Warlock's well placed to be a utility caster type because Eldritch Blast is so good at covering all your offensive bases. By the midgame it's very easy to have it doing 2d10+16 damage in two shots, both of which can have significant knockback. So you can spend your 2-3 spell slots on the highest level CC/AOE you have and then just force bolt people for the cleanup. Then short rest afterwards and do it again. You can end up with 6-12 max level spellcasts per long rest depending on your level and if you have a Bard in your party which is far more than any other caster can get.

Also, don't sleep on Counterspell. There's a lot of fights that can be made much easier by keeping your spell slots and reaction open to shoot down enemy CC. In my warlock playthroughs, Counterspell was by far my most commonly used non-cantrip spell. One spellslot and a reaction to steal an enemy caster's entire action phase? Absolutely worth it.

As someone who plays a lot of Warlock (prob my favorite class tbh) I agree with you.

Counterspell rocks. Hunger of Hadar is absurdly good, especially if you can get it into a chokepoint. Hex is lowkey pretty solid too because you can keep recasting it and adding +1d6 damage to your hits is pretty nice whether you're spamming Eldritch Blasts or meleeing as Bladepact.

I like Armour of Agathys as well. Upcasted it's quite an hp boost and does decent damage to anyone meleeing you. If you're about to head into a tough fight you can just cast it, short rest to get your spells back, and then still have the nice hp boost. And that hp boost stacks with aid.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can’t bring myself to like warlock. Even with all the extra damage modifiers you can stick onto it, it’s still worse damage than many other classes can do at any given level.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lord Bude posted:

I can’t bring myself to like warlock. Even with all the extra damage modifiers you can stick onto it, it’s still worse damage than many other classes can do at any given level.

3 pushes to a standard action can really make a difference in some places though. Thinking of one act 3 arena that is part of Wyll's side plot in particular where you're on a dias with a pit surrounding you and lots of enemies streaming in

Into the pit with you!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just use the one feat to give people the blast and I'm good. Or just take two levels of warlock to get the real good blast.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I used to be in the "Warlocks suck" camp until I learned about Hunger of Hadar and how it can shut down huge groups. Also punting two enemies at once is nice.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There's a bunch of gear in later Act 1 and in Act 2 that interacts with thunder/lightning damage and it's really fun to throw that on a tempest cleric. You're tossing around nukes debuffing everything with Reverberation (reduces str/dex/con saves by 1 per stack, Prones at 5 stacks), Encrusted with Frost (disdvantage on dex saves, Freeze at 7 stacks) and occasionally Dazed.

It's fun and combos super well with other nukes and abilities that target dex because you'll be shredding dex saves very significantly.

edit: this also allows your cleric to more easily take feats like War Caster, Alert, or whatever because you don't really need to squeeze out more +spell attack/DC from Wisdom as you'll be reducing enemy dex saves by a lot (most of your nukes target dex)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO warlocks suffer from the BG3 implementation of the rules that give you two short rests per long rest and which effectively allow you to take as many long rests as you like.

Warlocks really shine as the caster that can be throwing out a lot of max level spells per day. At L7 your wizard gets one L4 spell per day. Your warlock, on the other hand, gets two per short rest which means they can really go hard on their big things and throw out a lot of extremely potent effects at the cost of having to rely on their cantrips for everything else. This is strong in a tabletop environment where the DM isn't going to let you set up camp after every encounter, but it's relatively weak in a cRPG where you can just spam long rests whenever you want them. And it's especially weak in BG3 where the game gives you so many events specific to long resting that you're gonna want to be long resting all the time anyways.

That said, gently caress it. Warlock is fun and has a lot of great flavor and who gives a poo poo if other classes can do more damage. If I cared about that I'd just be running four tavern brawlers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

3 pushes to a standard action can really make a difference in some places though. Thinking of one act 3 arena that is part of Wyll's side plot in particular where you're on a dias with a pit surrounding you and lots of enemies streaming in

Into the pit with you!

See I belong to the school of role playing where I look at an enemy near a pit and I think, gee; I better kill him real carefully so as not to waste all that perfectly good loot by letting it fall in the pit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thuryl posted:

In my playthrough they kidnapped Gale, whom I never used and did not feel strongly about either way. So I only got around to rescuing him after doing about a dozen side quests first

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well lol Shadowheart is fukken DEAD in this run because I spent all my inspiration points trying to tell the duergar historian in Grymforge that "a monster was here" and got that camp scene immediately after. Honor Mode is so real for that, honestly. I'm curious what Act 2 is going to be like now when all my characters are staring at stuff in the Sharran Temple like "yup, that sure is a thing."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

And this is why I have zero interest in honour mode. Playing a roguelike is one thing but this game isn’t set up for that. There are so many things with major long term implications that come down to a skill check.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Actually that's pretty cool.
It makes for an organic story rather than you quicksaving your way to the best results every time.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I felt pretty immersed when that one guy lost a Act 3 companion because dialogue triggers are still dumb.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well lol Shadowheart is fukken DEAD in this run because I spent all my inspiration points trying to tell the duergar historian in Grymforge that "a monster was here" and got that camp scene immediately after. Honor Mode is so real for that, honestly. I'm curious what Act 2 is going to be like now when all my characters are staring at stuff in the Sharran Temple like "yup, that sure is a thing."

Yeah I'm snooping around for a couple of inspiration points for this reason. Since I have spicy builds planned for both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Geekboy posted:

Hmmm, now I’m trying to remember if I had to long rest between Gut and Razlin. Guess I’ll find out when I get to Moonrise!

I’m playing Honor mode and basically crawling through the game. I just hit level 5 in Grymforge and was debating barreling towards Moonrise to grab her or keep doing my slow and plodding approach. I’m less worried now that I’m out of the soft and squishy levels, but I’ve had some real nail biters including almost getting wiped on the nautiloid, so I might err on the side of caution still.