Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

holding tank and a solar-powered boiler to turn it into steam?

Taking this dumb idea to the end, it takes ~700 watt-hours to vaporize a gallon of water, so a 5kW array generating ~30 kWh attached to a boiler can boil 42 gallons/day, or 1.7 ccf/mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

MarcusSA posted:

Just rent your neighbors toilet.

Talk about an easement.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I didn’t realize you were in California so yeah it probably makes it infinitely harder.

The steam plant idea is good I like where this is going.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The piping is going to get messed up by whatever's in the greywater, so really she needs to cover her entire .09 acres, including her roof, in black tarps and just pump all the water onto that to evaporate. As they get gunked up, just get new tarps. Your neighbors won't mind at all.

Edit my apologies on the wrong pronoun , fixed

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 15, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What about that centrifugal space launch system they were working on a while back? Every time you flush it goes into that, spins it up and launches outside of the jurisdiction. Shouldn't need more that a couple square feet in the side yard.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wasn't there a goon recently that had a septic system that routinely overflowed into their yard, and was totally unconcerned about that? I still get nauseous thinking about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Wasn't there a goon recently that had a septic system that routinely overflowed into their yard, and was totally unconcerned about that? I still get nauseous thinking about it.

Yes, I believe their main concern was their neighbors calling DEP on them. not....you know...infectious disease or anything.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Growing up our septic would flood every spring with snow melt cause it wasn't installed properly, sucked to have to use the building next door for 2-3 months out of the year but thank god there was that option. The first year we moved in my dad had it pumped thinking it was just full and the pump truck couldn't even keep up with the amount of water pouring in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheBacon posted:

Where abouts the california coast are you because this sounds wild as hell to me.
Northern California, 3/4 of the way up the state.

trevorreznik posted:

The piping is going to get messed up by whatever's in the greywater, so really he needs to cover his entire .09 acres, including his roof, in black tarps and just pump all the water onto that to evaporate. As they get gunked up, just get new tarps. Your neighbors won't mind at all.
Her roof.

Motronic posted:

What about that centrifugal space launch system they were working on a while back? Every time you flush it goes into that, spins it up and launches outside of the jurisdiction. Shouldn't need more that a couple square feet in the side yard.
Now you're talking.

I really appreciate the ridiculous solutions y'all are coming up with; they make me smile on a fairly dire day.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I see signs around the bay area touting how (this fountain) or (that public garden) uses gray water. What if you get a fountain made to look like someone posting on the internet, and it's just a constant stream of poo poo/gray water coming out of his mouth onto the monitor? Could maybe get an art grant of some sort too from all of this

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sundae posted:

I see signs around the bay area touting how (this fountain) or (that public garden) uses gray water. What if you get a fountain made to look like someone posting on the internet, and it's just a constant stream of poo poo/gray water coming out of his mouth onto the monitor? Could maybe get an art grant of some sort too from all of this

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/things-to-do/fountain-of-waste

Something like this but much much bigger and liquid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emx59FNCy34

complete household sewage treatment plant that can make potable water, this old house put it in a basement, but they have containerized versions

https://bussegt.com/systems-photos

Found a few references to price, looks like $25K ballpark to install, $500/yr to operate

I wanna go to Maine and visit the cuckhouse

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just poo poo on your lawn and tell everyone you have a big dog, but they're shy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just noticed my washing machine door is actually broken. I thought it was just worn out and loose on the hinge bearings but I can see cracks behind what I assume is a thin film of plastic chrome coating. Now to decide if I want to spend $350 on a new door part (including shipping tax etc) or double that for a new washer. Considering the washer is about 15 years old it's not an easy choice. The rest of it seems to work fine and my only real complaint is that it's a front load and I'd prefer a top-load.

Let's hope the door doesn't just fall off during a spin cycle while I figure it out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sundae posted:

Run a really long hose to one of those fountains!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Benagain posted:

My parents and I have always enjoyed telling each other about the books we're reading or have read since I was a child. I've got fond memories of hearing about Dune in a restaurant when I was 8 and attempting to walk without rhythm through the parking lot. But for some reason, I kept remembering my mom telling me about this story where a woman could just think about pooping and bam! the poop would magically drop into the toilet from wherever she happened to be, no muss no fuss. When I was in college I remembered it again and realized how stupid I'd been. My mom must have read some magazine article about healthy pooping habits or what have you and told me about it and my child brain had conflated that with the sci fi stories she also told me about. I brought this up next holiday as an example of weird childhood memories.

Only it turns out that no, my mom had read some weird-rear end 70s sci fi story about people developing psychic powers and one woman used her teleportation powers to just never visit the bathroom again.

In conclusion, I own a home.

JK Rowling probably read that same story and ripped it off in some interview years later, according to her apparently before plumbing all of the wizards would just poo poo their robes and then magic away the mess. I don't know why plumbing would make any difference but there you go hope you enjoy that little morsel

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My gas HVAC and water heater are in the garage. Garage is moderately to well sealed

If the outside temp (5:30pm, sun just set) is 51F, rel. humidity is 57%, and my thermostat is set to 71F (cycles on and off every 45 min-hour?), what should the temp of my garage be?

Obviously I'm going to get some "leakage" heat from my HVAC and water heater, I'm curious what normal might be and/or if I have abnormal leakage

Garage is SW facing with pretty much unobstructed view of a sunny sky. The bedroom above it is 75° (yay California)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok we aren’t going to do your math homework for you dude.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

My gas HVAC and water heater are in the garage. Garage is moderately to well sealed

If the outside temp (5:30pm, sun just set) is 51F, rel. humidity is 57%, and my thermostat is set to 71F (cycles on and off every 45 min-hour?), what should the temp of my garage be?

Obviously I'm going to get some "leakage" heat from my HVAC and water heater, I'm curious what normal might be and/or if I have abnormal leakage

Garage is SW facing with pretty much unobstructed view of a sunny sky. The bedroom above it is 75° (yay California)

Exactly six.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

If you let the furnace and water heater vent into the garage it'll keep it warm for the rest of your life.

this is a joke do not do this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

If you let the furnace and water heater vent into the garage it'll keep it warm for the rest of your life.

It's free money :homebrew:

Garage is currently 70F

That seems moderately high to me

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Qwijib0 posted:

Taking this dumb idea to the end, it takes ~700 watt-hours to vaporize a gallon of water, so a 5kW array generating ~30 kWh attached to a boiler can boil 42 gallons/day, or 1.7 ccf/mo

Can we burn the solid waste as fuel for the boiler to steam away the grey water? Turning problems into solutions.

Alternative: become a famous streamer and sell your grey water to weirdos.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just drill a hole in your yard and say you're using your "mud" for fracking purposes and i dunno maybe you'll hit something good

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sundae posted:

I see signs around the bay area touting how (this fountain) or (that public garden) uses gray water.

Earthships!

Interesting viddya where they interview the creator of the concept, talk about how the whole system works, and tour some of the homes that have been built:
https://youtu.be/wgUkjbMhF18

Tl;dr, people use grey water to grow their own food in a berm house built out of used tires, dirt, upcycled materials, and concrete. You'd think people living there would have to make major sacrifices, but honestly they just live mostly normal lives in beautiful homes that are passively heated/cooled by being built to adapt to their local environment. A solarium is a long term wishlist item for me, as is stuff like permaculture/regenerative agriculture and how maintaining a healthy bacterial & fungal ecosystem in soil pays dividends in yields. Combining the idea of a solarium with grey water runoff & treatment is a pretty interesting concept imho.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Catatron Prime posted:

Earthships!

Interesting viddya where they interview the creator of the concept, talk about how the whole system works, and tour some of the homes that have been built:
https://youtu.be/wgUkjbMhF18

Tl;dr, people use grey water to grow their own food in a berm house built out of used tires, dirt, upcycled materials, and concrete. You'd think people living there would have to make major sacrifices, but honestly they just live mostly normal lives in beautiful homes that are passively heated/cooled by being built to adapt to their local environment. A solarium is a long term wishlist item for me, as is stuff like permaculture/regenerative agriculture and how maintaining a healthy bacterial & fungal ecosystem in soil pays dividends in yields. Combining the idea of a solarium with grey water runoff & treatment is a pretty interesting concept imho.

Houses built along these concepts are neat. I wish they were affordable enough to just be a standard choice in new builds or developments.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think a lot will have to change for working class people to be able to afford the time to handle a household that depends on “regenerative agriculture.” These houses are huge projects though that doesn’t mean some concepts shouldn’t trickle down.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've already asked the septic engineers about a similar system. The problem is that they still have to have a place to discharge water to! It doesn't matter that it's potable and so on, it matters that I have to have a legal place for it to discharge to. Which is a matter for multiple boards, including the California Coastal Commission.

I think if we all become breathatarians it might work. If you don't need to eat, you presumably don't need to poop either.

Isn't California having major issues with lack of water for farming and stuff? Just get one of those big water trucks for the discharge water, then you can drive around and sell it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

devicenull posted:

Isn't California having major issues with lack of water for farming and stuff? Just get one of those big water trucks for the discharge water, then you can drive around and sell it.

I think the lack of water is because they already give it all for free to the almond farmers or w/e, hard to compete with that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

distortion park posted:

I think the lack of water is because they already give it all for free to the almond farmers or w/e, hard to compete with that.

Yeah if we didn’t do that it wouldn’t be nearly the problem it is now.

It’s kinda ridiculous.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

devicenull posted:

Not northern northern california, really more like southern oregon where OP lives. And definitely not on the coast. You’d have to truck the water across the state.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Not northern northern california, really more like southern oregon where OP lives. And definitely not on the coast. You’d have to truck the poo poo water across the state.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheBacon posted:

Not northern northern california, really more like southern oregon where OP lives. And definitely not on the coast. You’d have to truck the water across the state.
Naah, we had the same drought everybody else did. There are worries this year because the people who were doing the water trucking were doing it as a sideline, and there are state regulations (reasonable) about proving the water's clean and your truck wasn't hauling anything toxic the week before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Naah, we had the same drought everybody else did. There are worries this year because the people who were doing the water trucking were doing it as a sideline, and there are state regulations (reasonable) about proving the water's clean and your truck wasn't hauling anything toxic the week before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

distortion park posted:

Yes you're correct

Per "public policy institute of California" pic (2006)

The important graph to look at is the tiny one in the bottom right, "drought year" agriculture is 53% of total water use, including for rivers

Environment, presumably means a combination of evaporation, plant growth and water in streams and rivers flowing out to sea. Just northeast of tidal estuary San Francisco Bay is a giant freshwater marsh (Wikipedia calls it the Netherlands of North America, or something) which if they pump too much water or if the San Joaquin during high tide with an 8' tide it will suck out all the fresh water and turn it salt water, killing most of the fresh water ecosystem there in a short period of time. It's an impressively large area too. There's all kinds of laws about measuring salinity levels and where and how often to keep everything balanced against water usage. A lot of the water pumped out of this ecosystem actually gets sent via a ~500 mile long series of canals through the valleys and mountains to keep Los Angeles from dying drying up

:airquote: it's complicated

The consequences are pretty dire but yeah agriculture on a good year is easily 30% and if you take environmental use out they top 60% even on the best years

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Agriculture also accounts for roughly 3% of Californias GDP.

Seems like a poor return to me!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Agriculture also accounts for roughly 3% of Californias GDP.

Seems like a poor return to me!
Agriculture is worth more than just money. "California produces a dramatic majority of many fruits, vegetables, and nuts in the United States. Dramatic as in: 99 percent of artichokes and walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis and plums, and 95 percent of celery and garlic. The list doesn't stop there, either. As Palmer notes, "No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California's output per acre."

https://www.thedailymeal.com/how-much-does-us-agriculture-depend-california

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah while the midwest might be the "bread basket of america", the central valley (the green part on the second graphic I posted) is the "everything else on the table of america"

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

There absolutely needs to be a middle ground between "we're exporting all our water as almonds and the state is literally sinking because of it" and "we're all going to starve", though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
also "we're exporting all our water as alfalfa to Saudi Arabia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You won't starve you'll just be limited eating corn, wheat, or soy