Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sleepy Princess decided to do a Frieren reference gag this week because "this is popular lately", so you can tell this manga has truly arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Sleepy Princess decided to do a Frieren reference gag this week because "this is popular lately", so you can tell this manga has truly arrived.

Meanwhile, Me and Roboco still has a running reference to Tokyo Shinobi Squad. What gets referenced in gag manga can be strange and unpredictable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm really glad it has, honestly. A few friends of mine weren't going to check out the anime because they'd assumed it was just going to be "another garbage horny isekai" until I convinced them to try the first episode at least, and they fell in love with it and we've been doing group watches of each new episode since.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

we’re back with the kids and headed to the capital, excited for the big city and maybe a little intrigue if we’re lucky

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

A little sad that the time bubble arc did what I feared and it's basically completely disconnected from the kids. Happy that we're back on the road

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What did Himmel do there. he really did seem to love Frieren

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Darth TNT posted:

What did Himmel do there. he really did seem to love Frieren

Is it implied he is the one who finished the inscriptions?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Okay how long has it been for Frieren, Fern and Stark to get to this point?

With old man Himmel here, that implies that near the end of his life he set out on a journey just to inscribe on this monument and come back. So like... 3-5 years solo trekking as an old man?

He really did love her.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Donkringel posted:

Okay how long has it been for Frieren, Fern and Stark to get to this point?

With old man Himmel here, that implies that near the end of his life he set out on a journey just to inscribe on this monument and come back. So like... 3-5 years solo trekking as an old man?

He really did love her.

He probably gets rather less distracted.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Supremezero posted:

He probably gets rather less distracted.

I mean we just had a whole arc talking about how distracted he gets with sidequests. Either age calmed him down or he is a total menace because the Heiter and Eisen aren't there to curb his worse impulses.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
it would kinda rule if Old Himmel just spent a chunk of the last decade he ever lived going on a hike to the monument, casually loving up all kinds of monsters and doing JRPG sidequests out the rear end with his cane sword all the while.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Donkringel posted:

I mean we just had a whole arc talking about how distracted he gets with sidequests. Either age calmed him down or he is a total menace because the Heiter and Eisen aren't there to curb his worse impulses.

Meanwhile, Frieren.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Maybe his side questing was more an excuse to dawdle with Frieren. Surely she'll realize his feelings soon! Aaaany day now....

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

Maybe his side questing was more an excuse to dawdle with Frieren. Surely she'll realize his feelings soon! Aaaany day now....

I feel like his experience with Future Frieren basically confirms two things for him - that she ends up feeling the same way at some point in the future, but that they never get together. Wonder if there was some element of self-fulfilling prophecy there, where Himmel never said anything because he felt it wasn't supposed to happen based off of Future Frieren.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah, that definitely sucks for himmel. Can't rock the predestination boat so he has to just let things play out, even though he now knows there's potential for frieren to reciprocate his feelings

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like his experience with Future Frieren basically confirms two things for him - that she ends up feeling the same way at some point in the future, but that they never get together. Wonder if there was some element of self-fulfilling prophecy there, where Himmel never said anything because he felt it wasn't supposed to happen based off of Future Frieren.

Future Frieren was pretty careful to not reveal very much about the future aside from stuff that was forced out like "yes I can fly now" and "I'm from far enough ahead that Himmel and Heiter are dead" so I don't feel like there would be very much risk to the timeline after "current" Frieren came back to their group. That said, yeah I don't know how Himmel would have taken it all. Man I hope he didn't screw himself over in that way, because the story of the boy in love with the elf who just didn't get it is already tragic enough without the added element of him self-sabotaging to keep a time loop stable.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

TwoPair posted:

Future Frieren was pretty careful to not reveal very much about the future aside from stuff that was forced out like "yes I can fly now" and "I'm from far enough ahead that Himmel and Heiter are dead" so I don't feel like there would be very much risk to the timeline after "current" Frieren came back to their group. That said, yeah I don't know how Himmel would have taken it all. Man I hope he didn't screw himself over in that way, because the story of the boy in love with the elf who just didn't get it is already tragic enough without the added element of him self-sabotaging to keep a time loop stable.

If he wasn't aware of frieren's potential feelings before (and no particular reason why he would be, given how she acts) then him learning about it from meeting her future self was actually terrible. Because it means if he acts on that knowledge he's potentially disrupting the timeline. and you know himmel loves being selfless

so yeah, himmel couldn't ask out the girl he likes because doing so might Literally Destroy Reality

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 14, 2023

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

At one point Himmel got on one knee and put a ring on Frieren's finger. Don't worry about time shenanigans when you have the densest elf around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, though I think that, in his position, I would interpret Frieren's behavior as "inconsistent with the idea that they (at least seriously) got together at some point."

Granted, it's at least as likely that he'd interpret her actual present behavior as a lack of interest (and tbf I think she wasn't actually aware of any feelings at the time), but his exposure to her future self might have pushed him over the edge into deciding against being more direct.

I think it's actually probably more likely that it didn't influence things, but it's still plausible to me how it could.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when they get to the land of the dead and find ghost himmel frieren is gonna smooch that ghost

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

when they get to the land of the dead and find ghost himmel frieren is gonna smooch that ghost

I kinda hope that the whole land of the dead / heaven thing isn't actually real. I know that it's kind of the whole goal of the series, but it feels so rare in anime for death to actually be for-realsies permanent, and a large part of the appeal of this series is about how when you die you're Dead And Gone, not to mention all the themes around the legacies we leave behind and how people will remember / honor us after we're gone - and for how long.

Being able to just hike really far north to see all the dead people kind of feels like it cheapens that theming, and also Frieren's development as a whole. Himmel's death is what really motivated her to try and change and grow and appreciate others. While being able to just go visit him at any time wouldn't necessarily undo that development, it would devalue it imo - why bother learning about someone if you can just go visit them in the afterlife to say hi if you miss them or wanna learn something about them? It's only a mere 10 year journey, who cares. I was a little weary on the time travel plot, worrying it'd have this cheapening effect, but it was clearly established that Frieren has no clue how to do this freely, and also that she needed to be very careful and conservative about how she interacted with her old friends.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

CodfishCartographer posted:

I kinda hope that the whole land of the dead / heaven thing isn't actually real. I know that it's kind of the whole goal of the series, but it feels so rare in anime for death to actually be for-realsies permanent, and a large part of the appeal of this series is about how when you die you're Dead And Gone, not to mention all the themes around the legacies we leave behind and how people will remember / honor us after we're gone - and for how long.

Being able to just hike really far north to see all the dead people kind of feels like it cheapens that theming, and also Frieren's development as a whole. Himmel's death is what really motivated her to try and change and grow and appreciate others. While being able to just go visit him at any time wouldn't necessarily undo that development, it would devalue it imo - why bother learning about someone if you can just go visit them in the afterlife to say hi if you miss them or wanna learn something about them? It's only a mere 10 year journey, who cares. I was a little weary on the time travel plot, worrying it'd have this cheapening effect, but it was clearly established that Frieren has no clue how to do this freely, and also that she needed to be very careful and conservative about how she interacted with her old friends.

I don't think it would be as bad as all that to let frieren have a conversation and probably a smooch with ghost himmel. It's closure, and given how much their relationship has formed the emotional heart of the series even though himmel is dead I think that's something a lot of fans will need. It doesn't completely invalidate the fact that he's dead; I seriously doubt they'll be able to have any kind of relationship. It's would just be a kind thing to give her, and it is still a fantasy story.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hypocrisy posted:

At one point Himmel got on one knee and put a ring on Frieren's finger. Don't worry about time shenanigans when you have the densest elf around.

At the end of the series someone's going to explain to Frieren what the words "I love you" mean, and then she's going to have a brief flashback to like, twenty different times Himmel's said it and just be like "Oh, so that's what he meant."

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It's very Odyssey to visit the land of the dead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

At the end of the series someone's going to explain to Frieren what the words "I love you" mean, and then she's going to have a brief flashback to like, twenty different times Himmel's said it and just be like "Oh, so that's what he meant."

Even if she didn't in the ring chapter/flashback, I think now that she's seen Himmel's Black Mercy dream world is marrying her she probably gets it.

Anyway while I also doubt that the Heaven thing is real, much like Heiter and Kraft, I believe it would be nice if it did happen. As long as they can't come back, getting to talk again with her comrades (unencumbered by the pressure of withholding details so the timeline doesn't get destroyed) would be good.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 15, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe it's like a one time thing, you leave the magic room and then they're gone for good. Frieren can just stay there for 50 years without leaving though to make up their lost time.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
When Frieren meets Himmel in the afterlife do u think it's gonna be young himmel or old himmel. Young Himmel is obviously what the shippers (me) would want but himmel being the little old man version would be a legendary gag

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

When Frieren meets Himmel in the afterlife do u think it's gonna be young himmel or old himmel. Young Himmel is obviously what the shippers (me) would want but himmel being the little old man version would be a legendary gag

It's gonna be a mimic with a Himmel name tag

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Well I mean Frieren's already been to Aureole once. She should have an idea what's there.

Also Flamme'd been there and told her straight out that she met with her dead friends.

100% pure speculation: I don't know if Frieren's coming back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mirage posted:

100% pure speculation: I don't know if Frieren's coming back.

Yeah it does have a bit of a "Bilbo sailing into the West" feel about it, especially now that she's had a taste of living in the past again.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I don't know. The introduction of Ubel the human mage, whose name means evil and likes killing people, being immediately preceded by Frieren talking about being defeated by human mages couldn't possibly be foreshadowing.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 15, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mirage posted:

Well I mean Frieren's already been to Aureole once. She should have an idea what's there.

Nothing really hints at that?

Frieren didn't seem to know that it was possible to meet dead people, that something like Aureole existed or where it would be located before discovering Flamme's notes. Once she saw the location of Aureole in the notes, she recognized it as the place where Demon King's Castle was located, but the whole scene (and the entire way the journey is set up) makes absolutely zero sense if Frieren already knew about, and has been to, Aureole.

Now, Demon King on the other hand...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mirage posted:

Also Flamme'd been there and told her straight out that she met with her dead friends.

On the other hand, Flamme has been quite easily able to clock Frieren hundreds of years ahead of time. It wouldn't shock me if she was flat-out lying about that in her notes solely to try to teach Frieren something.

Now I wanna see Flamme set up some kind of practical joke on her centuries ago.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I''d be pretty down for Frieren deciding to hang out with ghost Himmel until she gets bored and saying goodbye to her party once she's able to do that. Then show us some nice epilogue of her party and Eisen living out the rest of their lives and maybe coming to hang out with her in basically heaven.

Then make the last few panels be her finally being convinced that she needs to head out of the afterlife (or just chilling with her soul pals as they manifest around her) and go back to living life, have her re-enter into a modern or futuristic world, and put up some text saying 10,000 years after the death of Himmel the Hero as she sets off for another journey, perhaps with some gray hair to have her finally showing some proper signs of aging.

I imagine the ending will be something better than that, but that seems satisfying enough and hard to mess up, if something like those broad strokes were to happen.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah, I think a very important element of the story is that frieren, as an extremely long-lived person, can carry her memories of who himmel and flamme actually were into the future. Her sadness at himmel's funeral is not just because she missed her chance with him, but because she feels she didn't get to know him well enough to remember him properly.

For that reason I think it's pretty unlikely she'll end up just dying, or fantasy 'dying' by going into the west.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Captain Invictus posted:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Hope it's tiny old man Himmel

Lt. Lizard posted:

Now, Demon King on the other hand...

Build your house next to Heaven then kill everyone so you can chat with them and learn forever without all that pesky conflict. That seems like a very Solitar demon psychology plan.

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 16, 2023

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

Build your house next to Heaven then kill everyone so you can chat with them and learn forever without all that pesky conflict. That seems like a very Solitar demon psychology plan.

I'm betting old man Himmel turns around, sees Frieren and then a burst of light is young man Himmel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GloomMouse posted:

Frieren's going to find her most useful useless grimoire right in time, the "make ghosts sexy again" spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Do Demon Kings go to Heaven?