Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The man’s twitter url is “2gay2lift” and, as a member of a very queer powerlifting gym, I assure you that simply is not possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I always got weirdass vibes from that guy (and not just because he’s a self-described furry, etc) even if I think his Disney movie watch podcasts with those two other dudes have been funny

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Sometimes I wonder if people only become youtube famous to build up a cabal of rabid fans they can sicc on their posting enemies. YouTube seems better at allowing people to build parasocial relationships than to make money reliably it seems.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This person doesn’t seem to have successfully built up that sort of fanbase because even the most sympathetic replies to that are saying “they’re being ridiculous but that is absolutely not a threat of violence.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So was Adum using AI voices or criticizing their use that set this off?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Adam throws a manchild fit on social media over something stupid every full moon, I'm pretty sure.

Arc Hammer posted:

So was Adum using AI voices or criticizing their use that set this off?

We'll have to wait for the 2 hour response video for the full context or something.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Wowza Dawg, a very talented Gen Z artist/storytime type, put out this adorably strange tale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3udulW8_DY
I'm glad to find out that the younger generations are getting to experience the same kinds of utter absurdity we used to on IRC and whatnot back in the day

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Glad to see more people enjoying Majuular's videos. Been watching them for a while, even though I -still- mix him up with Kbash, another creator with a somewhat similar style and voice.

They should just agree to do the fusion dance so as not to further confuse me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj9S0y3Y430

History Buffs looks at Ridley Scott's Robin Hood

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

...Hey someone should do a video essay about this!

Sorry to quote an old post but I was catching up with the thread.

I've been thinking about doing this, I've been involved in that community for a long time, long enough for me to form my own ideas and I have a lot I'd enjoy talking about.

I have some ideas for doing movie reviews about films with kink it and how it correlates with reality. There is at least one movie that has some really interesting concepts that I'd love to talk about.

Also, there are not a lot of good YT channels about that kind of stuff, so I'd be basically making the content that I'd want.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mappo posted:

I've been thinking about doing this, I've been involved in that community for a long time, long enough for me to form my own ideas and I have a lot I'd enjoy talking about.

I have some ideas for doing movie reviews about films with kink it and how it correlates with reality. There is at least one movie that has some really interesting concepts that I'd love to talk about.

Also, there are not a lot of good YT channels about that kind of stuff, so I'd be basically making the content that I'd want.

do it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mappo posted:

It's an interesting endeavor, but I'd be worried about constantly fighting with youtube to avoid them age-restricting and demonetizing videos covering content like that. And then you have the normal content ID fights on top of that if you're reviewing any movies or TV shows.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's an interesting endeavor, but I'd be worried about constantly fighting with youtube to avoid them age-restricting and demonetizing videos covering content like that. And then you have the normal content ID fights on top of that if you're reviewing any movies or TV shows.

there’s a fair amount of kink/sex/etc-focused or adjacent YouTubers staying within the platform’s graces and/or, like Intelexual and Kat Blaque, mainly relying on merch or Patreon or alternate funding streams and just counting on their kink/sex/etc content being demonetized

even if a yt/twitch channel gets deprioritized or whatever it still tends to get more eyeballs than something like a blog or an independent site, never mind any of the other platform alternatives, so some people who want to do that kind of education/advocacy find it worthwhile regardless

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 16, 2023

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

SummoningSalt has made his 2nd video about his own progression as the world leader in NES Punchout Speedruns.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

there’s a fair amount of kink/sex/etc-focused or adjacent YouTubers staying within the platform’s graces and/or, like Intelexual and Kat Blaque, mainly relying on merch or Patreon or alternate funding streams and just counting on their kink/sex/etc content being demonetized

even if a yt/twitch channel gets deprioritized or whatever it still tends to get more eyeballs than something like a blog or an independent site, never mind any of the other platform alternatives, so some people who want to do that kind of education/advocacy find it worthwhile regardless

Seconding the do it. I mean if it's something you've got a big interest in and you wanna do YouTube vids on it, what's the worst that could happen? Suck it and see.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Wrong thread sorry

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lotus Aura posted:

Wrong thread sorry

I forgive you. We all make mistakes. Although, you are lightning fast on the edit. So yah got that going for yah!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think the first video of Majuular I watched was him playing all the 3DO rpgs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEcIsZFTPw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

How high/drunk/stupid do you have to be to confuse "kicked to the curb" for "curb-stomped"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

Youtube Nitpick: Anytime I walk away from the keyboard while playing youtube the next video will always end up being

1. Evermore vid from Jenny Nicholson
2. Line Goes Up from Folding Ideas
3. Vampire Diaries from Jenny Nicholson
4. AVGN full-season megavid

and I am so god damned tired of seeing any of these specific videos.

skill issue

but also, good taste

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

This is such a pro click. Sardines rock.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

This is such a pro click. Sardines rock.

I've fallen down a rabbit hole and never want to climb out

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah holy poo poo what a wild channel. This man makes 600 CAD per month on patreon for his canned fish videos. That rules.

What’s great with sardines? Beer is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I genuinely didn't expect the sardine video to be this entertaining

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in Baldtannia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZ9bSSPHHI

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kunster posted:

SummoningSalt has made his 2nd video about his own progression as the world leader in NES Punchout Speedruns.

I love the multiple montages of Tyson doing his stupid little 8-second delay shuffle. Can't imagine how infuriating it must be to lose a word record attempt because Mike Tyson decided to waste some time break dancing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sardines aren’t that bad, and they’re a pretty healthy protein source. the problem is everyone in a sizable radius around you will instantly hate you the second you open that tin.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

god bless the weirdo niches of youtube

edit: lol he reviewed the sardine store in times square, the weirdest tourist trap on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi1vzn-P8so

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Seconding the do it. I mean if it's something you've got a big interest in and you wanna do YouTube vids on it, what's the worst that could happen? Suck it and see.

The worst thing that could happen is my boss finding out and losing my job. So, I don't know if I'll show my face, I may get a rantsona or something.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'll make it a resolution for next year.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgSDClU4Qo

hoo boy really glad of that Majuular recommendation because today he put out another banger, about one of the most underrated RPGs ever made

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Takehiko Inoue ftw

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Sardines guy ftw

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Saw this video the other day that ranks different history-youtubers that's been called out on r/badhistory, it was quite good. History-youtube is full of bad "historians":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7qV7QBxmTE

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Kamrat posted:

Saw this video the other day that ranks different history-youtubers that's been called out on r/badhistory, it was quite good. History-youtube is full of bad "historians":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7qV7QBxmTE

Oh man that’s disappointing to hear about ExtraHistory. I hadn’t heard about any of this, and I’ve been watching for a few years, and was briefly a Patron.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

a video that uses reddit and twitter posts as sources is something i would like to call incredibly garbage as a critique of anything lmao

doesn't matter if they're wrong or right, clicking to his list of sources and finding an endless wall of reddit posts is just lmao. clicked on one reddit post about Overly Sarcastic Productions, and the redditor was angry that the video he was critiquing said that wars are messy. like there were actual, proper critiques there too, but there was also hyperbolic idiocy that was just put there so the redditor would sound smarter than he was.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

clicked on one reddit post about Overly Sarcastic Productions, and the redditor was angry that the video he was critiquing said that wars are messy.

lmao

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having watched Nick Hodges/History Buffs for years, it's a big ask to tell me to watch an hour forty video telling us he blows because of a leftwing bias or some nonsense. Who is this guy?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The entire premise of the video is that r/badhistory has critiqued these people, and the amount they've critiqued them forms a non trivial part of the score this guy gives them to determine their badness tier. What a strange premise to use for the purposes of determining accuracy when you can just do it yourself and check against actual sources instead of taking u/ilovexerxes' word when he says that Overly Sarcastic's videos weren't as reverential towards Persia as he would have liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
IMHO History Youtube isn't much worse than any other medium, everywhere tends to have the same issues of "pop history vs academic history" or how much compromise is made between being strictly factual or being more dramatic and engaging.

Also James Portnow is a manipulative rear end in a top hat, don't give Extra History your time and attention.