Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I was kicking around the same idea about the test; the implication I get is she might help out with the specials, but I can't imaging her lining up to host Jeopardy Masters unless Ken gets the urge to pick up his signalling device again.

I think he and Buzzy are DQed due to having hosted.

It does sound like the door is still open for primetime Celebrity Jeopardy which would be a better fit for her but otherwise Ken is in firm control.

If this is the end, I can't say I'd miss her presence but it still must sting for her losing two shows in one year. Her schedule with Call Me Kat threw off developing her voice but ultimately in my opinion she didn't seem to try to improve between her tryout and her semi-regular time on the show.

Now watch her win best drama at the Emmys for rebooting Blossom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Island Nation posted:

It does sound like the door is still open for primetime Celebrity Jeopardy which would be a better fit for her but otherwise Ken is in firm control.

If this is the end, I can't say I'd miss her presence but it still must sting for her losing two shows in one year. Her schedule with Call Me Kat threw off developing her voice but ultimately in my opinion she didn't seem to try to improve between her tryout and her semi-regular time on the show.

Hey she can have all the Emmys she wants if it keeps her away from Jeopardy!

Happy day, everyone!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Anne Whateley posted:

Ultra crossing my fingers that it all goes to Ken instead of them picking some other rando
Some interesting wording on this one, but thank God

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Anne Whateley posted:

Some interesting wording on this one, but thank God

Did they choose to use the exact same background and stuff or is that just how whatever app that's being shared on looks?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

She's going to speedrun Trebek's career in reverse. First Jeopardy, then Classic Concentration, and in a few years she'll be posting Wizard of Odds.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Did they choose to use the exact same background and stuff or is that just how whatever app that's being shared on looks?
The same person/PR office didn’t do them because the background and punctuation are different. Obviously they’re trying to come off the same, and afaict from Mayim’s blurry one, the font is the same. The blue/white is obvious because of Jeopardy but idk if that sans-serif is part of their online branding.*

Along with the sassiness of Jeopardy’s first sentence, I’m getting the vibe that they were supposed to do a coordinated professional announcement, Mayim blew it up early, and Jeopardy is trying to pretend it was arranged while being lowkey pissy. This is total headcanon and I have no actual idea, though

*e: I just looked it up and their website is incoherently using like 4 sans-serifs, but that’s among them. I don’t care about sanses so I don’t recognize if it’s a somewhat common Mac font or something.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Luigi Thirty posted:

She's going to speedrun Trebek's career in reverse. First Jeopardy, then Classic Concentration, and in a few years she'll be posting Wizard of Odds.

I hope those pitfall checks clear.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

She has probably made a poo poo ton of money doing those two shows , plus past stuff, plus she’s a terrible person, so I don’t think we need to have sympathy on someone having two shows canceled in a year.

Good riddance.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Luigi Thirty posted:

She'll end up on High Rollers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Mayim Bialik making a brief cameo as herself in the Mafia! remake nobody asked for

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Still happy, just gonna enjoy the W. Although I've only been half watching Jeopardy these last couple of months. These tournaments just aren't grabbing me.

I still watch every day, but I agree that these tournaments aren't grabbing me at all. They've certainly taped everything through the rest of the year (earlier this week, there was a chyron saying that the episode had been taped in early October; the answer to the question was Matthew Perry), so I'm hoping they wrap up soon and we get to Season 40 episodes proper.

In any event, every now and again I chuckle at the thought of Yogesh sitting at home and alternating between pouting and fuming that he wasn't invited to any of these tourneys.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Anne Whateley posted:

The same person/PR office didn’t do them because the background and punctuation are different. Obviously they’re trying to come off the same, and afaict from Mayim’s blurry one, the font is the same. The blue/white is obvious because of Jeopardy but idk if that sans-serif is part of their online branding.*

Along with the sassiness of Jeopardy’s first sentence, I’m getting the vibe that they were supposed to do a coordinated professional announcement, Mayim blew it up early, and Jeopardy is trying to pretend it was arranged while being lowkey pissy. This is total headcanon and I have no actual idea, though

*e: I just looked it up and their website is incoherently using like 4 sans-serifs, but that’s among them. I don’t care about sanses so I don’t recognize if it’s a somewhat common Mac font or something.

That's my read as well. I was not expecting an announcement from them until Monday, but the fact that they put it out so late on a Friday (8:17pm eastern is the timestamp I see on the official fb page) really suggests she went off book and preempted them. That first sentence really reads like the petty corporate office politics crap I deal with at work all day, where they want to call her out without actually calling her out.

I guess if she pulled a move like that and they're pissy about it that's good news for us that they won't bring her back. If she's acting unprofessionally, that does make me wonder if part of the reason is her anti-Palestine poo poo and in the coming days we'll see her venting about it and calling Sony anti-Semitic for letting her go or something.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

e: Never mind. Repeating a rumor I heard second hand that probably isn't true. My bad completely.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 16, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Are you hearing that from people with inside knowledge?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, so take with a huge grain of salt.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

To believe she was fired because of her positions on I/P, you have to believe that the execs were okay with her walking off the job for six months in support of a strike, but weren't okay with her vocally supporting Israel because it what, pisses off Jeopardy!'s audience of boomers?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I started to say that thinking anyone would get got for anti-Palestine stuff is wishful thinking, but then I remembered that she was doing videos using Jeopardy format to push points which might have been enough to piss off somebody at the studio. At least as a last straw. Probably the ratings and walk off though. Or her champion in the back office left or her Q score dropped a little or some other TV exec thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Can we maybe not be doing weird speculation about why Bialik was fired? I'm perfectly fine with taking Sony at their word, that they feel it's better to have one host on the syndicated program instead of goofy alternating hosts throughout season 40. It makes perfect sense to want to have one consistent face of the show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HookShot posted:

Bialik is OUT

loving finally.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
lol my last post

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's my read as well. I was not expecting an announcement from them until Monday, but the fact that they put it out so late on a Friday (8:17pm eastern is the timestamp I see on the official fb page) really suggests she went off book and preempted them. That first sentence really reads like the petty corporate office politics crap I deal with at work all day, where they want to call her out without actually calling her out.

I guess if she pulled a move like that and they're pissy about it that's good news for us that they won't bring her back. If she's acting unprofessionally, that does make me wonder if part of the reason is her anti-Palestine poo poo and in the coming days we'll see her venting about it and calling Sony anti-Semitic for letting her go or something.
I don’t think they’re that mad because of the last part explicitly saying they still want to work with her on “primetime specials.” I would guess more just miffed.

It could be something like they were waiting for her to get back to them with her decision, and instead of responding to them first, she dropped that on social media

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Please do not diss Classic Concentration. I watched a lot of that show when it originally aired.

Then again, my memories are even more attached to the C64 version because I was awesome at the bonus round.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Can we maybe not be doing weird speculation about why Bialik was fired? I'm perfectly fine with taking Sony at their word, that they feel it's better to have one host on the syndicated program instead of goofy alternating hosts throughout season 40. It makes perfect sense to want to have one consistent face of the show.

I agree. It's none of our business.

It took 3 years and more weirdness than a primetime soap opera but it's over. The battle for the Iron Lecture between newscasters, sports announcers, a active NFL Quarterback, a astroturfing campaign, real/TV doctors and a attempted coup ends with the confirmed goat of the game becoming its master.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

I still watch every day, but I agree that these tournaments aren't grabbing me at all. They've certainly taped everything through the rest of the year (earlier this week, there was a chyron saying that the episode had been taped in early October; the answer to the question was Matthew Perry), so I'm hoping they wrap up soon and we get to Season 40 episodes proper.

In any event, every now and again I chuckle at the thought of Yogesh sitting at home and alternating between pouting and fuming that he wasn't invited to any of these tourneys.

There are no new contestants until April of next year, because of all the tournaments.

Timby posted:

Yogesh got an automatic invitation to the Tournament of Champions either last week or two weeks ago. He's not in any of them because he's bypassing them entirely.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

There are no new contestants until April of next year, because of all the tournaments.

Noooo!

quote:

Yogesh got an automatic invitation to the Tournament of Champions either last week or two weeks ago. He's not in any of them because he's bypassing them entirely.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I thought he said Jeopardy wasn't real trivia and was a waste of his time or some poo poo :smuggo:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HookShot posted:

Did he get 5 wins?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

Did he get 5 wins?

According to this, he only won three.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

That's what I thought. Thought you needed 5 to be in ToC.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

That's what I thought. Thought you needed 5 to be in ToC.

I'm guessing there's now some squishiness with that rule after they expanded the ToC to 21 contestants last year.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Timby posted:

I'm guessing there's now some squishiness with that rule after they expanded the ToC to 21 contestants last year.

Ah. Well it'll be funny to see him again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, a few people who didn’t get to five wins got auto invites and he’s one of them.

Tbh he probably deserves the spot, he is a top-level trivia player.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yogesh should be automatically invited to every tournament just so people can beat his rear end at the buzzer

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

christmas boots posted:

Yogesh should be automatically invited to every tournament just so people can beat his rear end at the buzzer

And so we can watch him get progressively more pouty.

Also, per TV Line, both Bialik and Jennings were pulling down $4 million a year, each, for their Jeopardy jobs, though Jennings is expected to get a raise now that he's the sole host of the syndicated edition. Not bad for a show that shoots, what, fifty days a year (outside of the primetime specials, which as I understand it also shoot in a very compressed timeframe)?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In a bit of a coincidence, Ken's initial run of $2.5M in 2004 comes out roughly today via inflation as $4M so he's making the same amount in terms of buying power as from back then but with the clues and correct responses in hand this time.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Speaking of money, it's been 22 years since the Jeopardy round went from 100-500 to 200-1000 and similar for Double Jeopardy. Anyone think we'll see another increase soon, or is it too risky for the show since super champs show up like Ken or James or Amy who can potentially walk away with six figures in a single game?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bucksmash posted:

Speaking of money, it's been 22 years since the Jeopardy round went from 100-500 to 200-1000 and similar for Double Jeopardy. Anyone think we'll see another increase soon, or is it too risky for the show since super champs show up like Ken or James or Amy who can potentially walk away with six figures in a single game?

I think what's more likely is that they'll increase the totals for 2nd / 3rd place to something like $4,000 / $2,000, just because contestants have to travel to and from LA on their own dime and that ain't cheap.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

I think what's more likely is that they'll increase the totals for 2nd / 3rd place to something like $4,000 / $2,000, just because contestants have to travel to and from LA on their own dime and that ain't cheap.

Yeah the winnings for 1st place coming in around 20k is pretty reasonable, but $1000 for 3rd when you had to shell out for an airline ticket and hotel just isn't cutting it.

Very happy with the outcome of tonight's final, I like that guy. I'd have been ok with right podium, too, but I really disliked middle dude both in his original run and now.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The guy on the right shouting out the answer without buzzing in today was amazing. Especially because it immediately led to the eventual winner getting the daily double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, I felt bad for him.