Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's a RISE event going on right now too if you want real kickboxing https://abema.tv/now-on-air/fighting-sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
BKFC just did a copyright claim against Karate, and the live stream went down.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For a brief moment before it switched to BKFC Youtube said Karate Combat had copyright claimed their own livestream and I'm not sure which would have been funnier.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
its back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QGlfxtrKxU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Man, Raymond Daniels has been in the game for so long.
2007, he was fighting Wonderboy in WCL, an early attempt at recapturing a old kickboxing style ruleset.
Karate Combat makes much more sense for an audience used to MMA. Makes it easier to poach athletes from broader backgrounds, too.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Champion Sam Alvey

coathat
May 21, 2007

Being really bad in the UFC is the best base for Karate Combat

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Both Bendo and Pettis look to be really frozen up by having to actively think about not throwing thigh kicks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fozzy The Bear posted:

BKFC just did a copyright claim against Karate, and the live stream went down.

wait why?

coathat
May 21, 2007

I think it’s because they showed a 2 second clip from BKFC.

Now that Sam Alvey is a heavyweight champion we need to get Chase Sherman a title shot at Gamebred

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/bareknucklefc/status/1736080965510832572

So yeah, whatever copyright bot company they have doing takedowns went after them for the clip.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

While we're in this dead space in the shadow of a looming PPV I'd like to take this time to thank LobsterMobster and CommonShore for their Iron Turtle writeup before the last event, it was a very funny practical joke to get me invested in his grappling and submission skills right before watching him get neutralized and exhausted for fifteen straight minutes :xd:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/KSW_MMA/status/1736104865611313608?s=20

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

DoombatINC posted:

While we're in this dead space in the shadow of a looming PPV I'd like to take this time to thank LobsterMobster and CommonShore for their Iron Turtle writeup before the last event, it was a very funny practical joke to get me invested in his grappling and submission skills right before watching him get neutralized and exhausted for fifteen straight minutes :xd:

:qq:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049750

Our final UFC GDT of the year is up. Come watch the horrors unfold.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Leon Edwards and Josh Emmett saved Christmas tonight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When was the last time that we got to feel like the good guys won?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
What great victories for America and spherical Earth.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

CommonShore posted:

When was the last time that we got to feel like the good guys won?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r0mGLDUI8

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1736277990751744389
https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1736278229436993603?s=20

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ian Garry vs Geoff Neal is a fight where there are four names but no last names.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If Maddalena knocks out Burns they will 100% say "well, Belal and Shavkat both have such great claims to a title shot the only answer is for them to fight each other" while they run Edwards/JDM in the UK.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ian Garry vs Geoff Neal is a fight where there are four names but no last names.

lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Big lol at "Bad taste to say what Colby said but Leon's dad wasn't a good man."

Get wrecked Colby Covington

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CarlCX posted:

If Maddalena knocks out Burns they will 100% say "well, Belal and Shavkat both have such great claims to a title shot the only answer is for them to fight each other" while they run Edwards/JDM in the UK.

Fortunately Burns is going to tie JDM into a nice little bow to put on the UFC’s plans before they get buried in the back yard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Yeah a bit of a "not informed of the societal pressure, prejudice and general society's hatred of any carribbean immigrants in London & England" moment.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ilmucche posted:

yeah being an obtuse ignorant dipshit about Colby covington is kind of BlindSite's Thing

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Michael Page is the guy who rolled a pokeball at a KO'd opponent. I can't wait to see him in the octagon

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

parthenocarpy posted:

Michael Page is the guy who rolled a pokeball at a KO'd opponent. I can't wait to see him in the octagon

Not just a ko'd opponent, a man who just got kneed so hard his skull broke and ended his career

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm fine with Page in the UFC, but I want him to fight guys on that Kevin Holland tier for a bit before he sniffs a proper contendership fight. Treat him as an entertaining gatekeeper.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spaced God posted:

Not just a ko'd opponent, a man who just got kneed so hard his skull broke and ended his career

His career should have been over before that fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

CommonShore posted:

I'm fine with Page in the UFC, but I want him to fight guys on that Kevin Holland tier for a bit before he sniffs a proper contendership fight. Treat him as an entertaining gatekeeper.

But what if...when's the next London card?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Colby says the judges were biased against him for being a Trump lover

Versus the

*Checks notes* black foreigner. That can't be right, notes must be wrong

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Totally possible, but we need to do research and find out if the judges are lib cuck snowflakes or alt right nazis.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

You gotta at least make the rounds close for the refs to rob you, idiot.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Holland/MVP should actually be fun, but I also just really want MVP to have to fight a wrestler and get righteously indignant wrestling exists again.

https://twitter.com/laura_sanko/status/1736440068964077632

On which topic, it turns out Shavkat destroyed Wonderboy with one leg.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Can UFC just sacrifice more dumb trumpers to embarrassing defeat at the hands of non-white foreign fighters that'd be great thanks

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Shammypants posted:

Can UFC just sacrifice more dumb trumpers to embarrassing defeat at the hands of non-white foreign fighters that'd be great thanks

We need more khabib putting Conor in the Dagestan handcuffs then punching him in the face while shouting why aren't you talking now moments

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'd settle for him getting thumped for sexual assault while the cops yell STOP RESISTING

although I guess that would require a new case since he skated on all the others so never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
curious to see how long before they politely ask Sean Strickland to stop calling people the hard got 50 times a presser. kind of amazed Disney hasn't said anything about it. I'm generally all for saying whatever. but I can't believe they are just letting that happen constantly lol. cannot imagine that happening with the n-word or any racial slur.