Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Hoo boy I bet he'll be super embarrassed by this hypocrisy!

hypocrisy ... their secret weak point, you catch them on that and they explode into pixie dust, never to do harm again

works like a charm, u catch them and go "you claim to be about america liberty freedom, but you want to put all minority in forever jail. four pinnochios." and their reign of terror is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Halloween Jack posted:

Why is Satan's head a disco crab?

It's in the bible I think.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Crustaceans 2:10

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The Lone Badger posted:

So literally "you cannot even imagine how bad the poo poo I did was"?

Yes, that's what they tried. The problem is that they never bargained for a defendant that would refuse to submit to discovery and an accounting audit to establish ability to pay. If Rudy had done that, damages would likely have been limited to a maximum of 10% of his net worth. Now he's gonna try to knock it down to that range on appeal, and get skull-hosed because he already waived that angle when he pled and waived discovery.

At every level, Rudy and his representation completely hosed up this case. His last resort, after what he did, was bargaining an out of court settlement to drop the suit. They anted up, waived any right to look at their cards, and then pushed all their chips in. It's really stunning, but I'd by lying if I said an appeals court doesn't bail him out somehow. Appeals courts don't like these kinds of payouts to plaintiffs. They'll find something.

That said, the plaintiffs are still likely to get millions. I just doubt they get anywhere near 148 million. They'll likely get enough money to never have to work again. They'll be lucky if either of them get millions in the double digits. Rudy is going to appeal and immediately declare bankruptcy.. or maybe he doesn't. He's a loving loon, and he should be under conservatorship.

Rudy is hosed either way. He didn't have enough money to pay counsel prior to this. It's likely he has stuff that can be liquidated, but that's basically the end of it. He'll end up with a little bit set aside to pay for the nursing home for the next 10 years, and that's about it. His lawyers and his creditors are gonna eat him first, leave some for these plaintiffs, and then that will be that.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 18, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do court-ordered judgements get priority over other creditors in the same way unpaid tax does?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The Lone Badger posted:

Do court-ordered judgements get priority over other creditors in the same way unpaid tax does?

I believe someone in another thread mentioned that it'd likely be order of first incurring the debt.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ErIog posted:

That said, the plaintiffs are still likely to get millions. I just doubt they get anywhere near 148 million. They'll likely get enough money to never have to work again. They'll be lucky if either of them get millions in the double digits. Rudy is going to appeal and immediately declare bankruptcy.. or maybe he doesn't. He's a loving loon, and he should be under conservatorship.

As an aside, they have settled out of court with, I think, 2 other entities for undisclosed amounts so even though Rudy is going to continue to gently caress around and try not to pay out a dime they aren't relying on him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Murgos posted:

As an aside, they have settled out of court with, I think, 2 other entities for undisclosed amounts so even though Rudy is going to continue to gently caress around and try not to pay out a dime they aren't relying on him.

I did not know that part. That makes Rudy's decision to take this to a trial where he immediately pleads to avoid discovery even stupider then. They showed they were willing to entertain other avenues to address the harm, and Rudy runs his defense case like he's working for the plaintiffs to get max payout.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ErIog posted:

I did not know that part. That makes Rudy's decision to take this to a trial where he immediately pleads to avoid discovery even stupider then. They showed they were willing to entertain other avenues to address the harm, and Rudy runs his defense case like he's working for the plaintiffs to get max payout.

"I work both sides! That way, I can never lose!"

It would be awful if Rudy was put in such a precarious financial position that he'd have to flip on Trump. (Assuming there is any room for anyone to still flip on Trump.)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

"I work both sides! That way, I can never lose!"

It would be awful if Rudy was put in such a precarious financial position that he'd have to flip on Trump. (Assuming there is any room for anyone to still flip on Trump.)

No, he's pretty much screwed as there is only limited amounts of venues he can earn money on. He's too extreme now for Fox News, so OAN is it and they don't exactly pay too much. He'll never flip on Trump at this point because he's got nothing left but desperate hopes Trump dumps more money and fundraisers on him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cimber posted:

No, he's pretty much screwed as there is only limited amounts of venues he can earn money on. He's too extreme now for Fox News, so OAN is it and they don't exactly pay too much. He'll never flip on Trump at this point because he's got nothing left but desperate hopes Trump dumps more money and fundraisers on him.

What if he gets locked up for a week and the prosecutors offer him some booze to help with the dts if he flips on trump? I feel like this must happen all the time.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cimber posted:

No, he's pretty much screwed as there is only limited amounts of venues he can earn money on. He's too extreme now for Fox News, so OAN is it and they don't exactly pay too much.

Speaking of which, he was on Newsmax last night and surprise! He defamed them all over again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I just keep committing various torts and crimes, they'll never be able to prosecute me because they won't be able to catch up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

If I just keep committing various torts and crimes, they'll never be able to prosecute me because they won't be able to catch up.

Up until he gets slapped with a gag order, then he goes on Newsmax to complain his first amendment rights are being violated, and all around the country Uncle Chester nods sagely in agreement.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I tried to give AM radio a listen. I got very angry at the host and guest talking about how we're in the worst time for America and we must fight back.

I turned it off. I think it's better that I don't listen to these monsters peddling hatred and rage.

They're a Lot of names I'm unfamiliar with, but when Gorka has a two hour block of time to peddle rightwing cellphone services and MyPillow Christmas shopping.... I have to ask, how is this business model viable! Do AM stations really have low overhead, so much so that they can pay Gorka syndication fees?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I find people really underestimate how big the radio audience still is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cimber posted:

Up until he gets slapped with a gag order, then he goes on Newsmax to complain his first amendment rights are being violated, and all around the country Uncle Chester nods sagely in agreement.

You'll be safe as long as you have your Radical Left Insurance.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah, the SBF gambit. Hope that they store crimes as a 32-bit integer -- if I keep criming, it'll overflow to 0 and they'll have to let me go free!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm wondering what legitimate insurance company would actually insure the kind of people who would both a) actually buy this and b) actually need it. It sounds like inviting a bunch of insane people to bankrupt you.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I like to give people like this hypotheticals like "Would you support universal healthcare and lower taxes?"

See I like to get to the bottom of their ideology- if all they care about is what taxes they pay then other stuff shouldn't matter since it doesn't impact their bottom line. Similarly, what are they willing to sacrifice to get their way? Would they hold their nose through paying triple the amount of property taxes if it meant the borders were sealed tight? What do they care about more?

Truly a modern ultima gypsy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

For every page of indictments they write each day, just commit double that amount of crime while they’re writing them.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

OgNar posted:

Not sure if thats a real thing or not. Worse is the fact that I am entertaining the possibility that it _might_ be a real thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rudy is creating his own reality, and while you're studying that reality, he'll just create other new realities for you to study. He is history's actor, and everyone ITT will only study what he does.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

OgNar posted:

Now this is a grift I can get behind! Maybe they'll hire an actual radical leftist so they can say they've got an inside man who's willing to sell out to help Real Americans (selling out is a Bad Thing and therefore what they expect from a radical leftist)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OgNar posted:

It's an extremely questionable pseudoretainer legal referral service, as far as I can tell; the kind of situation where they'll argue any possible scenario doesn't actually fall under the plan, and the services provided are likely to be trash.

It's clearly built off of a similar model focused entirely on gun charges that was (and afaik still is) a major profit center for the NRA.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
finally i will become uncancellable

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OgNar posted:

Ten bucks a month to say the n word? What a steal

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

HootTheOwl posted:

Twitter Blue already exists

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Hey! It's X Premium now! :mad:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Buck Sexton :laffo:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Twitter Blue already exists

:golfclap:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

If a lovely leftist yellow journalist wants a hot idea for clicks, buy this insurance, get a poo poo job, be amazingly racist and act shocked when the insurance doesn't cover you being discriminated against at work for your sincerely-held political belief that the negro is inferior to the white man and slavery to him is his natural state

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

A Bad King posted:

I tried to give AM radio a listen. I got very angry at the host and guest talking about how we're in the worst time for America and we must fight back.

I turned it off. I think it's better that I don't listen to these monsters peddling hatred and rage.

They're a Lot of names I'm unfamiliar with, but when Gorka has a two hour block of time to peddle rightwing cellphone services and MyPillow Christmas shopping.... I have to ask, how is this business model viable! Do AM stations really have low overhead, so much so that they can pay Gorka syndication fees?

The way the Limbaugh show worked was that, as a station, you got the show for free, but the catch is they get to sell the great majority of advertising time. This deal also lets them tell advertisers "hey look, we're carried on 2,000 stations" or whatever to squeeze higher ad rates out of the advertiser. For your local podunk millionaire who owns 870 WKKK or whatever, it's basically just another passive income stream.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was listening to a video about the recent Moms for Liberty controversies and one thing that really stuck out to me about conservative political organizations, particularly women centric ones, is the fact that in a conservative organization an individual has a much more clearly defined role in the social hierarchy. So for instance, being a mother has strict bioessentialist parameters attached to it. Doesn't matter if you're a good mom or a bad mom, a smart mom or a stupid mom, you're still a MOM. That is going to be very attractive to a certain demographic that might not have much going for themselves. For a value system that supposedly throws a lot of weight towards "merit" they actually recruit much more on the notion of passive :biotruths: that the individual has very little control over.

So for a conservative woman who feels scared, stupid, and uncertain of herself, these organizations give her a sense of place and purpose. Who cares if you weren't motivated enough to go to college, it's just an indoctrination center anyway! So what if you don't have much of a career, that's not what women are built built for, play on your strengths!

Contrast this with more egalitarian leftist organizations which emphasize that motherhood isn't defined by your gender assigned at birth or even gives it any undue significance beyond other members of the community. The same kind of person might not feel as unique or "special" if they feel nothing inherent to them really stands out it is important.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
These organizations are definitely for MOMS whose children don't go to school in this district, and are no longer school age, and are no longer speaking to them.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/status/1737267694028648838

https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/status/1737485448560157115

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"For transparency, here's me when I had a spine before Der Furhrer asked me to remove it"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Although personal insecurity about one's own achievements may certainly play a factor, I think the larger aspect of the current moral panic (of which Moms for Liberty is an offshoot) is an attempt to wrest back a perceived loss of control on the part of parents. Like, back in the 80's and 90's, the Satanic Panic had a whole bunch of people saying goofy bullshit, sure. But it had the undeniable subtext of parents, scared about their perceived diminishing importance and authority over their children, forcibly taking it back on both a personal and societal level. They were terrified that they were losing control, so they either consciously or subconsciously played along with the idea of the Generational Satanist boogeyman in order to justify their actions. Like, the standard advice that "experts" gave was to go through all of your childrens' belongings and throw out/destroy anything that smacked of Satanism. Once you take away that fabricated justification, that's a great reminder to your child that you're the one in charge, and that they aren't allowed to have any aspect of themself that's private.

The same pattern is happening with Moms for Liberty and other conservative movements. They're generally aware that society is generally less bigoted-by-default than when they grew up, and most kids nowadays have lives on the internet that they keep mostly private from their parents. So, they willingly believe in groomers and the "trans industrial complex" boogeyman in order to justify taking more control over their children, whether monitoring their online presence or what media they consume. It's okay that they do that, you see, because otherwise the kids might get brainwashed into being trans! Pulling them out of school, forbidding them from reading Heartstoppers and banning them from talking to certain friends is a reasonable protection!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The reason parents in the 80s felt that sense of diminishing importance was because the bottom was dropping out of white working-class prosperity and women had to enter the work force en masse, leaving their children to be raised by the television. So they were paranoid about what was on television. I'm not entirely sure about the underlying economic reasons at work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The paranoia is 100% orchestrated by right-wing grifters/ideologues like Christopher Rufo who meticulously planned all of this. It’s just not working the way they thought. Mostly it’s just driving already right wing/right leaning people who consume a lot of conservative media even more insane than they already were.