Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

brocked posted:

Just imagine us poor souls who were excited that Juliette Binoche was going to be in G14

I'm still mad that Sally Hawkins got SFA to do and the she got stomped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I love Akiko Wakabayashi as the Princess/Prophetess in Ghidrah, esp. her ragamuffin getup in the fisherman's clothes. Her deadpan dub lines as the Prophetess are incredible too ... "Because he's already arrived!" The film's a bit messy but it's still one of my favorites, just barely over Astro Monster.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

Astro Monster has two good points:

1) The bit where Godzilla does his stupid happy dance
2) A genuinely entertaining human plot, full of alien invasion conspiracies and prominently featuring Kumi Mizuno in a swingin' 60s spacesuit

Her whole look as an Xian certainly awakened something in me as a kid that I didn't fully understand at the time.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Her whole look as an Xian certainly awakened something in me as a kid that I didn't fully understand at the time.

the Xians are some of the best movie aliens ever imo because they don't have any goofy star trek bumps or w/e, they're just really weird dudes in a techno-uniform and enough unsettling tics

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

robot roll call posted:

It's really not good! It was probably one of my biggest letdowns when I was going through the Criterion set, just completely squandering the amazing premise of having every monster possible in it. I feel the same way about Final Wars, actually...

Destroy All Monsters is one of the least-essential Showa films - especially since it was intended as the last Godzilla, but they just kept making them.

For a more-complete and coherent Showa marathon, it’d be interesting to place Ebirah between Mothra and Mothra vs. Godzilla - and then to place Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla between Ghidorah and Astro-Monster.

Desumaytah posted:

I see Minus One as more focused on survivor's guilt, found family and ultimately eschewing military/cultural trappings in favor of moving on with your new community. G14's protagonist certainly does have some trauma and survivor's guilt, but his journey is more focused on being an active cog in the machine, and using his place in that machine to assist the strange god he's going on this odyssey with. They're both very good movies, with some parallels, but I don't think they're all that similar.

There are of course differences - but the protagonist of Godzilla 2014 starts off losing both his parents to a disaster in Japan (one to mental illness, in his case) and then, consequently, begins a career as a bomb-defusal technician. That’s curiously specific! The middle portion of the film involves his foreknowledge of a monster attack on the city where his wife works, and the race to reunite with her. Failing to do so, he instead gets tangentially involved in a botched plan to kill the bad monsters while the government serves as minor antagonist - worsening the situation while perpetrating a halfassed conspiracy to hide the existence of the threat. You can go on like that, but there’s already more commonality here than with pretty much any other films in the series.

In terms of the difference, there’s a lot more nuance in Godzilla 2014 - just for having the two distinct monsters, having the dead parents and government figures appear onscreen, etc. I like that Brody doesn’t kill the monsters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I love Akiko Wakabayashi as the Princess/Prophetess in Ghidrah, esp. her ragamuffin getup in the fisherman's clothes. Her deadpan dub lines as the Prophetess are incredible too ... "Because he's already arrived!" The film's a bit messy but it's still one of my favorites, just barely over Astro Monster.

Same, Ghidorah the Three-Headed monster has easily my favorite human-sized plot in the entire series (or jockeying for first with the original, at least). There is so much going on.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the Xians are some of the best movie aliens ever imo because they don't have any goofy star trek bumps or w/e, they're just really weird dudes in a techno-uniform and enough unsettling tics

I still want those tiny slit shades.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I still want those tiny slit shades.

*moves fists around* You can ... never have them :smuggo:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

And actual good CGI instead of the video gameified bullshit we got in the Del Toro-less sequel

The quality of the CGI was not horrible, the shot design and choreography was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Same, Ghidorah the Three-Headed monster has easily my favorite human-sized plot in the entire series (or jockeying for first with the original, at least). There is so much going on.

It helped me understand the Godzilla franchise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
From my recollection from hanging around Kaiju fan sites since back in the Geocities & Angelfire days, Destroy All Monsters has basically always had a reputation as being a slightly below average film that gets propped up by how many monsters are stuffed in it(and for being like 95% of the reason that anyone has ever described themselves as being a Gorosaurus fan)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
King Kong Escapes deserves wider recognition.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection from hanging around Kaiju fan sites since back in the Geocities & Angelfire days, Destroy All Monsters has basically always had a reputation as being a slightly below average film that gets propped up by how many monsters are stuffed in it(and for being like 95% of the reason that anyone has ever described themselves as being a Gorosaurus fan)

Arc Hammer posted:

Gorosaurus kicks rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gorosaurus gets his rear end kicked. He only got some good swipes in on Ghidrah because it was 10 vs 1

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Arc Hammer posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Gorosaurus kicks rear end

:hai:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

My problem is destroy all monsters has extremely low energy fights for giving us the full entourage. It's totally fine but Godzilla basically only throws rocks at other monsters. Also more than usual b reel and reused scenes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The intended Destroy All Monsters! viewing experience is for you to catch it on the Sci Fi Channel on a lazy Saturday morning, only half watching it as you eat your poptarts and play with your Imperial Godzilla figure with the red lips, looking up whenever a monster is on screen to cheer it on.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Man, Minus One hit theatres here today and it was a thrill to see an actual, factual, proper Godzilla on the big screen in my local. Yeah, no complaints. It felt a lot more heartfelt than Shin Godzilla, which I DID enjoy, but felt the undercurrent of snarky satire distanced me slightly from giving a poo poo about pretty much any of the human cast.

The Ifukube tracks pumping out enthusiastically at PERFECT moments were also pretty rad and gave me fanboy goosebumps, but the newer material is pretty fantastic and frightening.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bonus points for holding a contest to see who can get the most 'airsick' during the fight between the SY-3 and the so-called fire dragon

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
THRILL to five full minutes of cutting thru the doohickey, on the moon!!!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'll go to bat for DAM, I think it's got a lot going on even if there's a slow build. The visuals are really neat, everyone's in boldly colored uniforms like Star Trek or something, the Kilaaks have a cool vibe, and it's an evolution of the Showa series theme of science and technology offering a possible way out of the horrors of war and... also technology. Lots of spy action, a cool rocketship flying around, and the big attack on Tokyo is a really great effects setpiece. I go back and forth over whether I favor it, or Ghidorah, or Monster Zero as my favorite of that era.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Heads up for the thread: shin godzilla on blu ray is like 12 bucks on amazon right now. Get it before it's gone!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

brocked posted:

Just imagine us poor souls who were excited that Juliette Binoche was going to be in G14

I was way more upset about her demise than Cranston's

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

The intended Destroy All Monsters! viewing experience is for you to catch it on the Sci Fi Channel on a lazy Saturday morning, only half watching it as you eat your poptarts and play with your Imperial Godzilla figure with the red lips, looking up whenever a monster is on screen to cheer it on.

You're drat right. My Imperial Godzilla has far less silver on his chest than most and proudly holds a Lego Superman in his mighty claw to this day. Got him for a buck at a garage sale like 35 years ago. Best dollar I ever spent. :krakken:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kingtheninja posted:

Heads up for the thread: shin godzilla on blu ray is like 12 bucks on amazon right now. Get it before it's gone!

And a $3.99 purchase on Prime Video.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

Seeing it mentioned on the internet I notice Tokuzô Tanaka's The Whale God is considered a kaiju film so I would say absolutely 100% yes to both.

Speaking of which, I have a few issues with that flick but holy poo poo does it have some visuals and is worth watching for folks who post in this thread. What an incredibly bleak film imo even if life is pretty normal for everyone in it outside of like a few main characters' fixation on the titular whale for various reasons. Their bullshit casts a pall over the entire village, almost apocalyptic tone at times and when there is action it has some real momentum.

Also has the rare instance of Shintarô Katsu playing an absolute shitbag instead of Zatoichi.

Anyway, what a flick

If you seek it out, it wasofficially released in English for the first time a few months ago under the title The Whale God, but I think IMDB and some other sites still call it "Killer Whale" which isn't really accurate.

Man I ordered that poo poo from SRS Cinema months ago and haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

The one I found is region 2 and warns that it won't play on most North American players

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've got basically no background in Godzilla or kaiju movies (I think I saw the American one from a decade ago or so... I think, I'm not sure), but I'd heard someone describe Godzilla Minus One as a drama film that just happens to have Godzilla in it occasionally.

I think they oversold the drama-to-Godzilla ratio, but still: I really enjoyed it. Loved the story and thought the acting, sets, and most of the special effects were great. The only thing that I found kind of jarring was Godzilla itself; it kind of looked like a Playstation 3 model to me. Maybe they were trying to bridge the CGI designs with the rubber-suit designs and this was the middle-ground? That part didn't work for me, but pretty much everything else did.

edit: apparently they made this film on a shoestring budget? Alright, I'm impressed with what they were able to do effects-wise then.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 16, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

surf rock posted:

edit: apparently they made this film on a shoestring budget? Alright, I'm impressed with what they were able to do effects-wise then.

The word on the street was $15million, but recently Takashi Yamazaki said he "wished he could have gotten $15mil", so probably less than that. Definitely low budget for what it was.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Rewatched 2014 in my “watch the monsterverse movies” mission. Enjoyed it a lot more than the first couple of times, but that 6.4 on IMDb is totally warranted and maybe even a bit high.

-Lots of great location shooting and the CGI was really well done overall, amazing how much different and better movie making was even just 10 years ago before everyone was locked into a studio with a green screen for the most part
-Dialogue writing sort of sucked. Some really clunky moments that are fine by movie logic but really stuck out here (particularly Serizawa’s dramatic “them” to get Kick-rear end and Walter White involved in the military plot
-I absolutely love the idea that all of the nuclear tests were because they knew about Godzilla and were trying to kill it
-Only getting the TV snippets of the Hawaii fight still feels like such a robbery
-Godzilla is so gray. I always thought toys of this Zilla looked bad and shittily painted, but no…he’s just gray
-Everything with Kick-rear end’ wife and kids is awful, it honestly seems like their existence and plots were tacked on at the last minute to have someone in danger when the action happens, like the bus getting stuck on the bridge or the wife in the shelter downtown
-This movie really would’ve benefitted by having ~20 minutes left on the cutting room floor, by the time stuff is really getting good in San Francisco I’m sort of tired of the movie

Think I’ll just go in release order and watch Kong: Skull Island next.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Godzilla has been grey in the vast majority of films, from the very beginning.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well technically in the black and white films the suit was brown, but yeah, when they went to color they went with a dark charcoal grey. (Though between lighting and film stock issues you get hints of other colors.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the only time he's ever really been green in the way that's seemingly stuck in American pop culture is in the Marvel comics and that 70's cartoon with Godzooky. Pretty much every other iteration is really grey in general.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla 2000 is green

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The one I found is region 2 and warns that it won't play on most North American players

Try this one:

Shin Godzilla - Movie https://a.co/d/cdkXp1f

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I don’t have any problem with the color, it’s how relentlessly gray it is. I think it’s because it doesn’t really have the big expressive eyes that the suits had that makes it seem like it’s sort of flat or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We're you watching the blu ray edition or the 4K remaster? The original Blu ray hone release crushes almost all the colour out of the film.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I have the later version, I swapped when it came out. It’s not a hugely colorful film either way.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RIP Kenpachiro Satstuma :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Aww, man, that's sad. The Heisei era of films was sort of my intro to the big G.

What timing too, I'm buzzing off Minus One last night and then this.