Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ulio posted:

What's a good survival to get started on the genre, prefer having multiplayer of any sort.

To start out? Give Raft a shot. Fun multiplayer, not too brutal, and a nice little story to follow. It never overstays its welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ulio posted:

What's a good survival to get started on the genre, prefer having multiplayer of any sort.

The genre is so vast that even knowing slightly more specific interests would help a lot.
With that said:
Astroneer. Cartoony co-op multiplayer crafting-survival-exploration. Not the hardest game but very fun and in MP pranks are common and death to suffocation is constant. Most of the game revolves around planet hopping for resources. Has a story and definitive ending.
Grounded Another cartoony co-op multiplayer crafting-survival-exploration game but significantly harder, even on medium settings. Will spend the early game scrounging just to survive but will eventually build a base that covers your basic needs. Very fun in mp, less so in sp. And bugs. So many bugs. Decently long and more integrated and detailed storyline than the above.

Two our group really enjoyed playing through.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 16, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LordSloth posted:

Return to Moria might be a case of an immediate mod if you're used to single-player, but not if you most commonly play this type of game in MP.

There is no pause. Let me repeat, there is no pause, even offline and hitting escape.

Fortunately, there is the BD Game Pause mod
Unfortunately, it may or may not be broken with the latest update. I had no luck getting it to interact, not sure if I installed it correctly since my directories don't match exactly with the directions or if it just isn't.

My install folder had that path, I will be trying it out later today. But do note that the install folder is very confusing, there are many different Binaries and Win64 and I'd bet you need the exact one for it to work (?) unless there are other bugs.

e: Works for me at least

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 16, 2023

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Ulio posted:

All the above suggestions are excellent but Astroneer and Grounded are available on Gamepass, if you happen to have that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I do have Gamepass so I might give Grounded a try even thoug the setting doesn't do much for me.

Rynoto posted:

The genre is so vast that even knowing slightly more specific interests would help a lot.

I just want to try like what's the best example of the genre since I haven't played any. I am not sure what part will I like, is it pvp aspect, crafting, other survival. Since I haven't played any I am not sure what I will like. I am just giving shots to new genres or sub genres I missed, I recently played a BR for the first time in Fortnite and love it. So thats where this idea came from.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Valheim is probably the best intro. The survival elements are pretty mellow - different foods give you varying health & stamina bonuses, and there are some environmental effects like getting cold and wet, but most of it won’t actually kill you. You can go absolutely bonkers with creative building and have a lot of fun setting up a full base with friends and such. The aesthetic is a little no-frills, but also very nice and generally pretty mellow. And it’s like $10-20 depending on sale price.

Raft and Grounded are both good. Raft can have a little bit of an unforgiving start while you’re still learning what you need to do in the early game to survive, and Grounded combat can be unforgiving in that missing parry timing gets you killed pretty quick, and while it isn’t Dark Souls the timing can still be finnicky. Both have a decent amount of exploration (tho in slightly different ways) and both have somewhat linear storyline progression.

For pure survival I’ll throw in Vintage Story. It takes a little getting used to but I think it feels like the best execution of “survival” through gameplay. Making knapped tools and clay vessels is actually a big part of the gameplay, and depending on the rarity of ores in your world progressing through the various metals can be significantly challenging. And seasons affect everything around you so you actually need to think about like, preparing for winter and such. Just about all of it can be fine-tuned to your specific liking in the base game, too - everything about world generation, ore frequency, growth rates, year durations, etc. it’s good

Edit: if you’re in it for the pvp aspect you could try V Rising, it’s a little bit survival meets MOBA. I very very hesitantly offer Rust as well if you want a LOT of pvp with some crafting and some building, with the huge caveat that Rust is one of the most toxic games on the loving internet

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 16, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having played it recently, Grounded has gotten a lot more generous about the combat. Parry timing feels more forgiving, heals are stronger, bandages are faster, I think armor even counts for more. It's still got a ton of combat for a survival game, but I feel unless you're playing on hard it's more manageable than ever.
That said, if you're not into heavy 90s theming and and Honey I Shrunk the Kids aesthetics, they go pretty hard on that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Project Zomboid is a good survival game as well which not only can be altered for desired difficulty but is intended for either solo or group play. Its post apocalyptic zombie survival where you’re not a murder god (until you get gud) based on 1990s Kentucky.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vib Rib posted:

Having played it recently, Grounded has gotten a lot more generous about the combat. Parry timing feels more forgiving, heals are stronger, bandages are faster, I think armor even counts for more. It's still got a ton of combat for a survival game, but I feel unless you're playing on hard it's more manageable than ever.
That said, if you're not into heavy 90s theming and and Honey I Shrunk the Kids aesthetics, they go pretty hard on that.

It's also pretty much a horror game. The fight night you're out and suddenly a wolf spider comes out of nowhere, yea gently caress that poo poo. I never go out at night in Grounded.

Speaking of that, has anyone given Smalland a try? It looks more like a sandbox survival game where you're bug sized, while Grounded has a clear story and end point.

Also, I'm not sure if its 100% a survival game, but Eco has been described as ethical minecraft?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, I'm not sure if its 100% a survival game, but Eco has been described as ethical minecraft?

Absolutely not survival at all but still a very good MP game. Food is just for skill gain and combat is hunting animals. Combat here being used very loosely.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ulio posted:

Lego Fortnite

Seriously

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ulio posted:

I do have Gamepass so I might give Grounded a try even thoug the setting doesn't do much for me.
For Game Pass, be sure to give Astroneer a shot, too. It's definitely the most chill "survival" game I've ever played, as there's no impending threat and it only punishes you for your own mistakes. The base-building and exploration is super fun, especially with a group, and discovering the planets' secrets together is a blast.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Good recommendations all, I will start with Grounded since it's "free" on gamepass, maybe Astroneer. Although the setting of neither excites me, it should be a good way to test out the genre.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

HelloSailorSign posted:

Project Zomboid is a good survival game as well which not only can be altered for desired difficulty but is intended for either solo or group play. Its post apocalyptic zombie survival where you’re not a murder god (until you get gud) based on 1990s Kentucky.
As someone who likes PZ, I absolutely would not recommend it to someone wanting to get into survival games because even on easy settings it is unforgiving and often downright mean. My recs would be:

The Long Dark - there's a story and sandbox mode. Story is ok, I'd play sandbox. They just added a 2nd expansion. SP only, they really nailed the "oh god I'm the only one left" feeling. Has custom settings so you can switch things around to how you like it.
Valheim - will run on a potato. You'll never starve to death, food only gives bonuses. SP/MP Fun building. Also boat travel!
Conan - Robust building system, crafting, and forced friendship! SP/MP. There are a shitton of DLC's but other than the map Siptah all are cosmetic. Siptah is PvP oriented so unless you're interested in that then just stick with the base game. Unique in that it has an actual win condition, also if you "win" it deletes your character :v: Currently kinda hosed up due to issues with the last release and needs a patch so you might wanna hold off until it's fixed.
Ark Survival - two versions; Evolved is the old one and Ascended the new one, though they are the same game. You can probably get ASE for super cheap now that the new one is out. Caveat: they shut down all the official servers for ASE with the release of ASA. 2nd caveat: official servers are poo poo trash so it's no loss. Tame dinosaurs and ride them. Go from the stone age to the space age. SP/MP.
7 Days to Die - zombie 'pocalypse. Its' gimmick is every 7 days there's a blood moon where at sundown you get swarmed by a shitton of super zombies. You can turn the BM feature off if you just want a more standard survival experience. Crafting, building, looting. SP/MP.

All of the MP games have goon servers, though population at any one time can be small to nothing.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

For :lol:
TheGamer.com list of top “survival” games on game pass
There are a few titles on that list that belong in this thread, but my ironic favorites on this list: Plants Vs. Zombies, Dead Space, Amnesia, Darkest Dungeon, Vampire Survivors

For serious, if Grounded and Astroneers aren’t thematically fascinating I can make a few other suggestions (with a hint towards what would draw your interest), from endless winter to zombie apocalypse. They may not be on Game pass and may be a bit less introductory, but there may be something where the theme is enough to compensate for some rough edges.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lego Fortnite

It’s also free.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LordSloth posted:

For :lol:
TheGamer.com list of top “survival” games on game pass
There are a few titles on that list that belong in this thread, but my ironic favorites on this list: Plants Vs. Zombies, Dead Space, Amnesia, Darkest Dungeon, Vampire Survivors

For serious, if Grounded and Astroneers aren’t thematically fascinating I can make a few other suggestions (with a hint towards what would draw your interest), from endless winter to zombie apocalypse. They may not be on Game pass and may be a bit less introductory, but there may be something where the theme is enough to compensate for some rough edges.

If you can die in the game it's a survival game, obviously.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Finally found something more tedious to argue than “well technically you play a role in every game”

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
7 Days to Die and Valheim are probably the survival games that got the most traction with the group I tend to play with. I personally prefer Valheim and we're thinking about going back now there have been some updates.

The Forest also went down well with them too I think, I never played that though so don't take my work on it!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

As someone who likes PZ, I absolutely would not recommend it to someone wanting to get into survival games because even on easy settings it is unforgiving and often downright mean. My recs would be:

The Long Dark - there's a story and sandbox mode. Story is ok, I'd play sandbox. They just added a 2nd expansion. SP only, they really nailed the "oh god I'm the only one left" feeling. Has custom settings so you can switch things around to how you like it.
Valheim - will run on a potato. You'll never starve to death, food only gives bonuses. SP/MP Fun building. Also boat travel!
Conan - Robust building system, crafting, and forced friendship! SP/MP. There are a shitton of DLC's but other than the map Siptah all are cosmetic. Siptah is PvP oriented so unless you're interested in that then just stick with the base game. Unique in that it has an actual win condition, also if you "win" it deletes your character :v: Currently kinda hosed up due to issues with the last release and needs a patch so you might wanna hold off until it's fixed.
Ark Survival - two versions; Evolved is the old one and Ascended the new one, though they are the same game. You can probably get ASE for super cheap now that the new one is out. Caveat: they shut down all the official servers for ASE with the release of ASA. 2nd caveat: official servers are poo poo trash so it's no loss. Tame dinosaurs and ride them. Go from the stone age to the space age. SP/MP.
7 Days to Die - zombie 'pocalypse. Its' gimmick is every 7 days there's a blood moon where at sundown you get swarmed by a shitton of super zombies. You can turn the BM feature off if you just want a more standard survival experience. Crafting, building, looting. SP/MP.

All of the MP games have goon servers, though population at any one time can be small to nothing.

Good I do like the setting of Valheim, a few people recommended it as a more relaxing survival.

Btw this might be a completely idiotic question but do the tips from these games carry over into real scenarios?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ulio posted:

Good I do like the setting of Valheim, a few people recommended it as a more relaxing survival.

Btw this might be a completely idiotic question but do the tips from these games carry over into real scenarios?

Yeah you can't teleport with higher tier resources in real life either.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Trolls are weak to fire irl also

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Sharks have a voracious appetite for rafts, and can be fended off by wooden spears to little consequence. Their legal protection means little after the entire world has been flooded and there are incredible number of them with nothing better to eat than a wood and plastic foundation. This will be essential information in near future Florida.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 17, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Survival Horror is survival, it's right there in the name

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ulio posted:

Sure, you can learn rudimentary map navigation skills in DayZ and in the apocalypse some jerk will shoot and kill you in the rear end while you're scrounging in a trashcan.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's also pretty much a horror game. The fight night you're out and suddenly a wolf spider comes out of nowhere, yea gently caress that poo poo. I never go out at night in Grounded.

Speaking of that, has anyone given Smalland a try? It looks more like a sandbox survival game where you're bug sized, while Grounded has a clear story and end point.

Smalland is a lot of fun. It’s actually got a fairly clear progression path as well— you’re pointed to various NPCs that will have tasks for you that point you further to more dangerous biomes, etc. Resources are abundant, though certain drops can be a pain, which is both good and bad from a survival perspective, and while combat isn’t anything to write home about it also felt a bit better than Grounded to me since it’s more based on dodging and thus way more forgiving of lovely connections to the host. It does have a big emphasis on matching the right damage type to the enemy, but you can also see their weaknesses and resistances with the hit of a button. I love how easy it it is to move bases as well, thank you magic base gnomes.

It does have some problems of course— crafting is fiddly, and it unlocks new things when you construct certain stations but not for everyone, so each person playing has to break down the station and recraft it to unlock the recipes for themselves. Luckily deconstructing gives back all materials.

It’s also leaving EA early next year though, so might be worth holding off until then.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 17, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sure, you can learn rudimentary map navigation skills in DayZ and in the apocalypse some jerk will shoot and kill you in the rear end while you're scrounging in a trashcan.

You also learn that if you're in an arctic survival scenario in a blizzard and find yourself a nice secure house with a warm fire, soft bed, and plenty of food and water it's absolutely imperative that you sleep behind the house in a tattered bedroll or else you'll go insane

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Smalland is a lot of fun. It’s actually got a fairly clear progression path as well— you’re pointed to various NPCs that will have tasks for you that point you further to more dangerous biomes, etc. Resources are abundant, though certain drops can be a pain, which is both good and bad from a survival perspective, and while combat isn’t anything to write home about it also felt a bit better than Grounded to me since it’s more based on dodging and thus way more forgiving of lovely connections to the host. It does have a big emphasis on matching the right damage type to the enemy, but you can also see their weaknesses and resistances with the hit of a button. I love how easy it it is to move bases as well, thank you magic base gnomes.

It does have some problems of course— crafting is fiddly, and it unlocks new things when you construct certain stations but not for everyone, so each person playing has to break down the station and recraft it to unlock the recipes for themselves. Luckily deconstructing gives back all materials.

It’s also leaving EA early next year though, so might be worth holding off until then.

It certainly looks like my jam. How's the co-op? Looks like you can rent a server from G-Portal, but for random testing, I guess it's host join again? As I understand your SP character is saved (Valheim, Core Keeper) and can join the multiplayer so it's good no matter what you do you always get progress. There even seems to be a base copy/share function (Great Trees), how does this work exactly?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I started up a new game of Vintage Story and Clay Storage Vessels are behaving oddly. When I first put down a storage vessel, transferring meat and berries from my inventory to it, increases the amount of time to spoil, as expected. Then after a few game days, I'll put something into the storage vessel, and it decreases the amount of time to spoil (the opposite of expected behavior). This happens regardless of where I put my storage vessel. I don't have plank so no door yet, but I can dig a proto-cellar out under ground with no light access and that helps delay spoilage, but, again, after a few days it seems to stop working.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TeaJay posted:

It certainly looks like my jam. How's the co-op? Looks like you can rent a server from G-Portal, but for random testing, I guess it's host join again? As I understand your SP character is saved (Valheim, Core Keeper) and can join the multiplayer so it's good no matter what you do you always get progress. There even seems to be a base copy/share function (Great Trees), how does this work exactly?

I’ve only done peer to peer play, but that’s been pretty smooth. No real connection problems or hiccups and relatively little lag.

Great trees are your primary spot for building bases— each has an identical layout at the top that you initially reach via a jumping puzzle and then once you claim it has a lift you can take up and down. Once you claim a tree and start building a base you can transfer it to any other great tree on the map by climbing it and interacting with the gnome statue at the top, and it’ll automatically transfer your entire base over to that tree until you choose to move it again. It’s a really nice feature, since while the map isn’t huge you’re often moving from biome to biome as you progress and there’s always a nearby tree to make your new base.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nice piece of fish posted:

Played DayZ last night, can confirm.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For MP survival there's also vintage story, not sure I saw anyone bring that up this time around

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah you can't teleport with higher tier resources in real life either.

Lol ya mb should have asked that question better, but I was wondering if there is a super realistic survival where it shows you how to start a fire and weather has affect on you like rain/heat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LLSix posted:

I started up a new game of Vintage Story and Clay Storage Vessels are behaving oddly. When I first put down a storage vessel, transferring meat and berries from my inventory to it, increases the amount of time to spoil, as expected. Then after a few game days, I'll put something into the storage vessel, and it decreases the amount of time to spoil (the opposite of expected behavior). This happens regardless of where I put my storage vessel. I don't have plank so no door yet, but I can dig a proto-cellar out under ground with no light access and that helps delay spoilage, but, again, after a few days it seems to stop working.

Try popping this question into the Vintage Story thread if you haven't. Experts over there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RandomBlue posted:

If you can die in the game it's a survival game, obviously.

It speaks for itself

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

Lol ya mb should have asked that question better, but I was wondering if there is a super realistic survival where it shows you how to start a fire and weather has affect on you like rain/heat.

For multiplayer I think, that kinda thing was a big selling point of SCUM? Have not played myself.

For single-player, The Long Dark is all about fire and weather and heat.

Can't really think of much else, there's a bunch in an entirely different quadrant of the survival games spectrum (the 'low-fidelity, high complexity' zone) from what you seem to be looking for however, like Unreal World, CDDA, Card Survival: Tropical Island, more I probably can't remember, that go extremely in depth in their own ways.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Super realistic survival?

Three ideas, not taking the time to think hard about my suggestions
Miasmata - navigation, specifically. It’s the only survival game I remember that triangulating your position from landmarks on a map
https://miasmata.fandom.com/wiki/Cartography
Green Hell -infection, parasites, sleeping on the ground is a very bad idea.
I’m reminded of Florida, where we have snails spreading real-life brain worms.
Unreal World- been a long time since I played, probably the least beginner-friendly experience. The perspective would make learning applicable skills a lot less likely.

quote:

It has what many similar wilderness survival games lack: a sense of genuine achievement in something that would, in other games, simply be considered basic. Building a log cabin takes weeks of work, and you could easily starve to death if you prioritize it over food. Hunting a reindeer involves chasing it for miles on foot, desperately trying to keep track of its footprints: I have yet to encounter a game that gives as much pure joy and satisfaction out of murdering an innocent animal for its meat and skin as UnReal World does. It’s a game about the simple things, and draws a huge amount of enjoyment out of simplistic actions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQ9SJHs7_4

Take these suggestions with a grain of salt - I didn’t think too hard about it when Google didn’t make me go “Ah! That would be perfect”

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vintage Story definitely has a lot of realism in climate / season on various things, most obviously in food preservation with cellars, salting, pickling, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ulio posted:

Card Survival is the closest I've seen from a personal wellness and function standpoint, ie the world around you and your body is closely tracked but also you don't die in 30 minutes if you are short on Vitamin D. From a crafting standpoint, though, Vintage Story is definitely more detailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Card Survival is the closest I've seen from a personal wellness and function standpoint, ie the world around you and your body is closely tracked but also you don't die in 30 minutes if you are short on Vitamin D. From a crafting standpoint, though, Vintage Story is definitely more detailed.

You do puke if you eat ten bananas in a row though