Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tai posted:

Russia's insistent need to gently caress around with kids is grossly messed up. This doesn't end well psychologically for some of these kids once they finish school. Creating problem after problem that will backfire in 20-30 years time. The demographic crisis is getting worse each time they gently caress around.

They're also NOT the Nazis, everyone

Extremely not-Nazi behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

EorayMel posted:

I wonder how many of these kids who have been viciously drilled on why the Special Military Operation™ is good and cool and why Ukraine is a bunch of Confused Russians who need Putin's fair but brutal pragmatism genuinely believe all this stuff versus how many just nod along but know that it's just bullshit/don't care, whether or not they do know the reality happening in Ukraine or they just really want to go home and play some DOTA.

Bonus points for if they ever look at any corner of the internet that isn't deathgripped by the Kremlin

It's the <10's that are the ones that will soak this up. Remember seeing a Russian dad talking about this stuff. The teenagers were old enough to nod along like you said but the toddlers were taking it in. There are going to be poo poo loads of kids in 10-15 years with some very deeply rooted racism towards Ukraine and a good chance it can't be unwired from their brain.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's a blyat hole?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-funding-weapons-2153375d4394d5783fad73858b51e993

lmao

Hey, uh, sorry, uuhhh we seemed to have overcharged a lot of stuff we gave to Ukraine so actually there's still more money kicking around!

It's not the big bill GOP is holding out on but $6 Bil to plug the hole while Xmas plays out is quite handy for UA.

:homebrew:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tai posted:

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-funding-weapons-2153375d4394d5783fad73858b51e993

lmao

Hey, uh, sorry, uuhhh we seemed to have overcharged a lot of stuff we gave to Ukraine so actually there's still more money kicking around!

It's not the big bill GOP is holding out on but $6 Bil to plug the hole while Xmas plays out is quite handy for UA.

:lol: DoD rounding error is approximately half the cost of a nuclear aircraft carrier

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Karate Bastard posted:

What's a blyat hole?

7/ The initiative comes against the background of a systematic drive to militarise Russia's schools, which among other things has seen kindergarteners practising trench warfare.

A Kindergraben

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1zx2-v3Gx4

When you are just that bad at reading the room and use elon fking musk as propaganda.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Karate Bastard posted:

What's a blyat hole?

something something goatse

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/aronlund/status/1735588912460968011

Africa Korp Corp

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Lemme guess the Wagner guys who definitely aren't Nazis came up with that name on accident lol

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Africa Korp Corp Corpse.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

oh for fucks sake :lmao:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Replace the nazi holocaust music with CLEAN WEHRMACHT afrika korps seems like a step in the right direction

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Replace the nazi holocaust music with CLEAN WEHRMACHT afrika korps seems like a step in the right direction

The Blyat Patrol

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sen-loving-sational lmao

Edit:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 15, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SS Afrika Korps Leibstandarte 'Adolf Hitler' is now denazifying Africa from the Nazis

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Fear of a Blyat Planet

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The one thing Africa needs most - more white mercenaries running around

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Potential metal band name.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

bob dobbs is dead posted:

he never was like, a genius, but he deffo used to be less brain-damaged. it's prolly the ket that's doing that brain damage

My understanding is that he was a coder who made something that was potentially going to be a potential competitor to PayPal and they bought him out rather than find out. And he just kept hopping into things and saying he was the founder.

He might be savvy in that regard, but the "genius" stuff was him just explaining bog standard tech stuff to journalists.

Confirm/deny?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
X and paypal merged but Musk got yeeted out due to being a bell end and also wanting dumb poo poo like wanting paypall to be renamed X

e - I wonder if wikipedia is still edited reguarly to omitt him getting booted lol. It was a thing a few years back.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Fear of a Blyat Planet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he wanted to migrate paypal to windows nt, famously, which was a hell of a lot more fatal back then than a dumb rebrand

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Fear of a Blyat Planet

Lmao

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So hey, I really don't want to doompost, but Ukraine is kind of in a bad spot right now, right? Russia can and seemingly will keep running its guys into the meat grinder while Ukraine spends its ammo and other military resources on them, and the well of support has stalled due to Republican dickheads in the US (I'm almost certain a lot of them are in Russia's pocket) and one Hungarian dickhead in the EU (again, Russian puppet). And even after the war, no matter who wins or loses, it's going to take over a decade, probably multiple decades, to de-mine all the ground that Russia has boobytrapped? Not to mention all the extensive damage the country's cities and towns have endured. And this is just after one and a half years, wars typically go on much longer.

Do you think Putin understands that even if he does win through the real world equivalent of a prolonged zerg rush, all he will have gained is a charred wasteland because he leveled it all to the ground? Because at this point I'm certain that Ukraine will fight to the absolute bitter end rather than surrender.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Gologle posted:

So hey, I really don't want to doompost, but Ukraine is kind of in a bad spot right now, right? Russia can and seemingly will keep running its guys into the meat grinder while Ukraine spends its ammo and other military resources on them, and the well of support has stalled due to Republican dickheads in the US (I'm almost certain a lot of them are in Russia's pocket) and one Hungarian dickhead in the EU (again, Russian puppet). And even after the war, no matter who wins or loses, it's going to take over a decade, probably multiple decades, to de-mine all the ground that Russia has boobytrapped? Not to mention all the extensive damage the country's cities and towns have endured. And this is just after one and a half years, wars typically go on much longer.

Do you think Putin understands that even if he does win through the real world equivalent of a prolonged zerg rush, all he will have gained is a charred wasteland because he leveled it all to the ground? Because at this point I'm certain that Ukraine will fight to the absolute bitter end rather than surrender.

It's likely that the house speaker (GOP) member will allow the big money bill on the floor in the new year. Democrats are already doing back room stuff in regards to the Mexico border. The support is there for money to UA but GOP also wants some of it's stuff to be added. The whole ''we over charged UA for stuff'' is a nice stop gap till the big money bill comes back to floor.

EU bill blocked by Hungary. I don't know if Orban is in bed with Putin or just wants more EU handouts. Poland though is not overly happy about it and they have been buddy buddy blocking poo poo together in the last few years but this is putting a strain on their relationship.

Demining will take years if not a decade.

Putin doesn't give a gently caress about it being a wasteland. This includes Odessa. He just wants it because he's a short bald oval office like every dictator who thinks big country means power.

UA needs either EU and/or US cash in the mid term or it is hosed.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From the start I worried the incredibly fickle and cowardly west would simply lose interest and hand putin his victory. Putin also banked on this happening practically instantly. I really really hope time doesn't prove Putin right.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Have you considered that a UA victory would require a 1% tax increase on salaries above £200k, or alternatively, the abolition of all public education?? Really makes u think

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Wagner was too controversial, you have to understand.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sometimes I wonder if one of those insane Nazi conspiracy theories are true. A hell of a lot of the people who were fighting them sure seem to be becoming them lately.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Elves? Threat!

two guys eating ice cream in winter = LGBT and thus threat!

but what about a real threat to society, such as pardoning dangerous criminals in exchange for participation in war? this seems to worry the Russians. unsurprisingly, mainly women and young people oppose it

on topic more closely related to war - more pictures of Russian artillery torn apart from the inside out, luckily nothing bad happened

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

G7 moves closer to seizing Russian assets for Ukraine

US discussion paper argues confiscating some of Moscow’s $300bn ‘consistent with international law’

Western nations are actively exploring ways to seize Russian central bank assets to fund Ukraine as political disputes in the US and Europe threaten its flow of financial support.

G7 officials have intensified talks in recent weeks on spending some of the roughly $300bn in immobilised Russian sovereign assets, a radical step that would open a new chapter in the west’s financial warfare against Moscow.

The push comes as two crucial financial aid packages for Ukraine worth more than $100bn faltered this week, as Republicans in the US Congress and Viktor Orbán of EU member Hungary took a stand against funding Kyiv.

Seizing Russian assets could provide an alternative stream of funding for Kyiv, especially given the expected huge costs of postwar reconstruction.

But until now G7 governments have mostly balked at such a move, fearing that some foreign investors in dollar and euro assets would take flight.

Although Washington has never publicly backed confiscation, the US has privately taken a more assertive stance in recent weeks, arguing in G7 committees that there is a route to seizing the assets “consistent with international law”.

“G7 members and other specially affected states could seize Russian sovereign assets as a countermeasure to induce Russia to end its aggression,” said a US government discussion paper, seen by the Financial Times, which was circulated in G7 committees. The US Treasury declined to comment.

A US official said Washington was engaged in active conversations on the use of Russian sovereign assets and believed there was a short timeline to make a decision. They suggested it could be discussed at a possible G7 leaders’ meeting to coincide with the second anniversary in February of Russia’s full invasion of Ukraine.

EU proposals have so far stopped short of seizing the Russian assets themselves, instead aiming to skim off profits generated for financial institutions such as Euroclear, where €191bn in sovereign assets are held.

But calls for tapping the assets themselves have grown louder as cracks have emerged in the political consensus on additional funding for Ukraine. Aid packages worth $60bn and €50bn in Washington and Brussels, respectively, failed to win approval this week.

Lord David Cameron, the UK foreign secretary, has expressed confidence there is “a legal route” to confiscate the assets and has suggested the UK might act with the US if other G7 allies cannot be convinced.

“Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures,” he told a UK parliamentary committee on Thursday, adding he was “pushing hard” for the proposal within the G7.

He denied there would be a “chilling effect” on inward investment, insisting that those investors likely to feel perturbed would already “be pretty chilled by the fact we have frozen” the assets.

The US official said the G7’s legal discussions reflected the importance of abiding by international law in responding to Russia’s invasion. The goal over the coming weeks would be to work through all the critical issues so the G7 could move together.

European countries, particularly Germany, France and Belgium, have been reluctant to make such a move, citing legal concerns such as the protections that sovereign assets enjoy under international law. The bulk of the €300bn of Russia’s state assets are held in Europe.

Even so, one western official said there were “definitely live conversations” within the G7 and a “growing consensus” in favour of using Russian sovereign assets for Ukraine.

“It’s going back to the question of: is it just up to western citizens and treasuries to pay for the war, or should the Kremlin also be on the hook?”

The US paper argued that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine meant the seizure of assets could be “pursued as a lawful countermeasure by those states that have been injured as specially affected by Russia’s violation of the international law”.

“We need to find a way to get cash to Ukraine, in whatever form,” said one EU diplomat involved in the failed summit negotiations this week. “And more and more countries are pointing at the assets and wondering why they are still sitting there.”

https://www.ft.com/content/918645f8-e0b6-4cab-92fa-4f965569c2a6

Get it done.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I've been wondering why dollar amount funding for Ukraine has been such an issue, since Lend-lease would have sidestepped that. Now I read that the 2022 lend-lease act has never been used, and has since expired. Anyone know of any reason why? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to classify most of the direct aid as lend-lease, saving on financial aid budgets?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Philonius posted:

I've been wondering why dollar amount funding for Ukraine has been such an issue, since Lend-lease would have sidestepped that. Now I read that the 2022 lend-lease act has never been used, and has since expired. Anyone know of any reason why? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to classify most of the direct aid as lend-lease, saving on financial aid budgets?

Anything lovely going on in the world today can be directly traced to the god damned Republican party, a domestic terrorist organization.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Anything lovely going on in the world today can be directly traced to the god damned Republican party, a domestic terrorist organization.

I'm very prepared to believe that, but the lend-lease act authorizes the president to send defense articles - no further Congressional approval required.

The whole situation is just embarrassing. The collective NATO countries have twenty times the GDP of Russia. After nearly two years we should be in a position to supply Ukraine with everything they need, without breaking a sweat.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sometimes I wonder if one of those insane Nazi conspiracy theories are true. A hell of a lot of the people who were fighting them sure seem to be becoming them lately.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have no idea what you are trying to say here

Russia and some other countries that fought the Nazis are cargo culting the Nazis. Or at least segments of their population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
BTW, twitter embeds have been broken for me for the past two days, posts are only showing up as text and links. I think this has happened before, but I don't remember how it got fixed?