Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In Arizona, we have drive-thru liquor stores.

I think all gas station should have a drive-thru where it's just for people to buy lottery or cigarettes. That would certainly free up a lot of space inside.

Nah. Grandpa Gambling Addict just parks in the drive through window instead of rolling through to run through his scratchers and then immediately buy more with the $15 he made on $50 of foil paper. You've only moved the line, and now he's fully road rage equipped on the spot. Even worse: the company almost certainly has to hire a whole second person for most busy shifts to man the drive thru with how packed it can be. So you know that's gonna be a suggestion that the corporate board will veto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sundae posted:

Can I give a hearty gently caress you to McDonalds? The one near my home has one woman with two ear pieces handling both drive thru lanes while taking money at the first window, plus doing the drink orders.

How the hell does she keep ANYTHING straight in her head while listening two two earpieces, a customer at the window, and a dumbass asst manager behind her?

Fun thing, in stores with multiple drive thru lanes we're not allowed to close a lane if we don't have enough staff to work both of them. When we had our dual lane installed our area manager straight up told the store manager if she came to the store and a lane was blocked off she'd fire whoever was running the shift on the spot.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I loving hate Raising Canes because they have thier employees standing in the drive thru taking orders even though the intercoms working, they were doing this in South texas in 90-100F loving weather.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CFA and Whataburger do it too in order to speed things up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HazCat posted:

I am like 99% certain my local Bunnings has a drive through section for heavy tools and large bits of wood, so at least some parts of Aus have hardware store drive throughs :australia:

Interesting, I’ve never seen a Bunnings drive through, although admittedly I find Bunnings to be a deeply unsettling place and I try not to linger there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

Nah. Grandpa Gambling Addict just parks in the drive through window instead of rolling through to run through his scratchers and then immediately buy more with the $15 he made on $50 of foil paper. You've only moved the line, and now he's fully road rage equipped on the spot. Even worse: the company almost certainly has to hire a whole second person for most busy shifts to man the drive thru with how packed it can be. So you know that's gonna be a suggestion that the corporate board will veto.

In NJ, the scratch offs are mostly in a lotto commission vending machine, from what I've seen. The counter still redeems the winnings and sells the lotto numbers tickets, but at least you wouldn't have this specific issue.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In Australia all the old grandma and grandpa gambling addicts just go down the street to their local pub or sports club and park themselves in front of a slot machine day in, day out, until they’ve gambled their life savings away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

In Australia all the old grandma and grandpa gambling addicts just go down the street to their local pub or sports club and park themselves in front of a slot machine day in, day out, until they’ve gambled their life savings away.

Yeah but see that sounds like actual gambling, everyone knows that lottery tickets are just the luck of the draw, and you can't win if you don't play. So you got to play the win big because someone's got to win big may as well be you!

Kind of like the difference between going to an adult supply mega store versus having one of those parties at your house, similar to a tupperware one.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

A customer called the police on another customer because another customer pushed her cart out of the way without saying excuse me

I love the holidays

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Funktastic posted:

A customer called the police on another customer because another customer pushed her cart out of the way without saying excuse me

I love the holidays

Every time I'm walking through a store and some dipshit left their cart in the middle of the aisle (usually the main walking aisle that all the other aisles feed from) I push it out of the way, whether that's somewhere down the aisle or next to one of the Action Alley skids. gently caress 'em.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Funktastic posted:

I love the holidays

What was the outcome?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

What was the outcome?

4 dead, 13 wounded after an accidental officer-involved firearm discharge during a tense moment led to multiple officer-involved shootings involving all nearby suspects. Primary suspect on the run with a three-state manhunt involving 30 different agencies, facing 27 counts of resisting arrest with no other charges.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Funktastic posted:

I love the holidays

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

What was the outcome?

Oh the cop clearly thought it was dumb and just left after I talked to him about it. I did have to ask if he said ‘cart’ or ‘car’ tho. We’re right across the street from the police station, so they pretty much always come if someone call even if it’s nonsense.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

4 dead, 13 wounded after an accidental officer-involved firearm discharge during a tense moment led to multiple officer-involved shootings involving all nearby suspects. Primary suspect on the run with a three-state manhunt involving 30 different agencies, facing 27 counts of resisting arrest with no other charges.

Is it disturbing that I find this entirely plausible given what I hear about the US on the news?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Funktastic posted:

Oh the cop clearly thought it was dumb and just left after I talked to him about it. I did have to ask if he said ‘cart’ or ‘car’ tho. We’re right across the street from the police station, so they pretty much always come if someone call even if it’s nonsense.

Mildly disappointed they didn’t charge the caller with public nuisance or wasting police resources or some such thing.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I mean I have no clue what happened after he left. The lady called them from outside the store. But I doubt anything like that happened

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Is it disturbing that I find this entirely plausible given what I hear about the US on the news?

No, that's just affirmation that my satire game is strong, plausible but insane.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The Lord Bude posted:

the only thing that's implausible is that so many people didn't find somewhere else to be as soon as the gunfire started

we (mostly) know better at this point

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Lord Bude posted:

Mildly disappointed they didn’t charge the caller with public nuisance or wasting police resources or some such thing.

That would require a police officer to Do Work, so was never a realistic outcome.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It sounds like an absolutely bullshit call in the first place.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We are a few weeks into peak season and it is ridiculously slow across the board. Who knew that charging even more for shipping would eventually backfire?

When places like Amazon offer free delivery over 35 bucks, most people aren't going to order something, ship it to their house, wrap it and then reship it. Hell Amazon even offers gift bags for like four bucks a pop, it's far more worth it to order through the massive warehouse and not put the personal touch on things if you're trying to save a little money.

But in good news, next Monday there's a mandatory staff meeting where they've assured us multiple times. It's a good visit, and no one's getting let go, but everyone has to be there on Monday for a q&a session with the new regional manager. Seeing as the last mandatory call we had about this was pretty much the new manager thinking everyone for their hard work for a good 20 minutes before another 20 minutes of rambling over buzzwords followed by 5 minutes of q&a, I'm severely doubting anything good comes from this. The company is literally waiting for people to quit, but since they've already said they're not offering severance, no one's in a real urge to leave when we're getting paid regardless. I mean for now. The new budget comes out in a few months and I'm pretty sure they're going to be cutting positions and I have no idea how that works when it comes to paying for unemployment. Or if they're just going to try and force people to work inside stores in locations some hour from their house or so and when they refuse then they fire them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cheering for the guy who punches in and goes home with a company jerking staff around like that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cowslips Warren posted:

But in good news, next Monday there's a mandatory staff meeting where they've assured us multiple times. It's a good visit, and no one's getting let go, but everyone has to be there on Monday for a q&a session with the new regional manager. Seeing as the last mandatory call we had about this was pretty much the new manager thinking everyone for their hard work for a good 20 minutes before another 20 minutes of rambling over buzzwords followed by 5 minutes of q&a, I'm severely doubting anything good comes from this. The company is literally waiting for people to quit, but since they've already said they're not offering severance, no one's in a real urge to leave when we're getting paid regardless. I mean for now. The new budget comes out in a few months and I'm pretty sure they're going to be cutting positions and I have no idea how that works when it comes to paying for unemployment. Or if they're just going to try and force people to work inside stores in locations some hour from their house or so and when they refuse then they fire them.

They're probably in for a surprise when they learn, apparently for the first time, about the legal concept of Constructive Dismissal. i.e. you can't make demands of your unwanted employees so ridiculous it's obvious you want them to quit to avoid paying unemployment comp.

If after all this bullshit you get transferred to a store an hour away, you can and should refuse and then file for unemployment anyway when they say "well then your refusal is presumed to be your resignation, goodbye."

This poo poo's gone on for what, a year-plus now? At this point it would have been cheaper for the company to have just done the RIF and paid everyone off in the first place. But worse for this-quarter executive bonuses.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 15, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The problem is that proving constructive dismissal is actually really loving hard, and generally requires documented proof that multiple individuals within the company conspired to force people to quit en masse. Proving this is certainly possible, but generally involves lots of time and lawyers, both of which the company probably has plenty and the employees not so much.

Forcing someone to work at a different location in a different role is definitely rude, but not illegal if the company doesn't alter (reduce) the existing compensation package. The only way you are gonna win an unemployment claim because your commute changed is if that commute creates an unreasonable burden, i.e. you can't take the bus to work anymore and you have to buy a car. You're not gonna get paid out because you have to drive an extra fifteen miles or whatever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That is probably true in the U.S. South but in most U.S. jurisdictions constructive dismissal is not actually that hard to carry in unemployment hearings. I know in my state (Pennsylvania) the unemployment referees frown very hard on that exact kind of poo poo, retail or retail-adjacent companies known to be looking to downsize transferring employees to faraway stores for no obvious reason. If they actually close a store and can say "we offered to transfer these employees to the closest store we could" that's one thing. But if it's just loving with employees to try to get them to quit, that poo poo's obvious to anyone, including the referee, who in PA and I think in many other states puts the burden of proof much more on the employer than the ex-employee.

But yes, as an employee you most definitely should keep a file documenting in writing and with date/timestamps every move they make, once it's clear they want you to quit. It helps a lot if you end up before an unemployment ref.

Source: years of direct experience

fakeedit: if your employer tries the transfer-to-an-hour-away poo poo you are definitely worse off saying "I can't do that, I quit" rather than "I can't do that, you need to find me a role I can more reasonably get to". Always better to make them state in writing that they are firing you, even if they will argue it was for-cause or job abandonment.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cowslips company has sounded particularly weaselly so I wonder how fast they'd fold if asked to state their commands in writing, which is an unmistakable "please give me legal documentation" wind up punch.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doomykins posted:

Cowslips company has sounded particularly weaselly so I wonder how fast they'd fold if asked to state their commands in writing, which is an unmistakable "please give me legal documentation" wind up punch.

I had a boss once ask me if I could relax a little about checking id for alcohol sales. I asked for that in writing and it never came up again lol

TCE
Feb 26, 2016
There's a regular customer in our store who reeks of piss. I know the sounds unbelievable, but no one will go within three aisles of her. I've crossed the street when I see her walking toward her after work. I'm sure this is cruel, that she probably has some condition I should be sensitive toward, but I'm not and I don't. When I see her come in I head to the back room and make up some work for myself. It's getting intolerable, but she spends a ton of money here and I can't imagine I can complain about her.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Boss of my boss's boss's boss came in for a meeting today. No idea when she flew in, but we were warned that the meeting is mandatory, and everyone be on BEST BEHAVIOR AND UNIFORM STARCHED AND PERFECT last week. Meeting from 1-2pm Monday, everyone better be there at this location!

We all arrive by 12:45. In the conference room at 1. She shows up about 1:10/1:15, greets us all, and takes about 10 minutes to discuss her past work with the company, asking a few times if we can pick up her New York accent, before back to talking about herself. Okay fine. Then she wants us all to tell her about ourselves. Names, where we're from, how long we've been with the company, and hobbies! Anyone who didn't specify hobbies was asked multiple times what they did outside of work. Anyone who mentioned they had a motorcycle was quizzed about bikes and what kind of bike she had. Anyone not born in AZ is pumped about where they were born/from and how they like it better or if they do.

So it's almost 2 when we actually start. Now, dispatch is aware that every single driver is in one location for this meeting, and starts putting deliveries on us. One driver leaves because he has 3 and has two hours to get them done. For the next 30 minutes the big boss lady goes over a Powerpoint and repeats everything we have heard on conference calls, emails, and special mandatory calls for the past 8 months. Heavy emphasis on thanking us and at the same time how many millions the company wasted on SameDay deliveries. How many branches were consolidated and severance packages for various VIPS and presidents of parts of the company. How much money we spend every day on vans that sit without deliveries, how much we spend every month for our dispatch software. Everyone, tell me what you think about our fleet going all electric! And then more talk about how much money it will cost for us to get charge stations everywhere.

She wants us to ask questions. She keeps pumping us to ask questions, and every question asked takes another 5 minutes to explain in detail with corporate buzzwords. At no point is anything new said at all. I suspect she is being paid by the word.

At 2:20 I slip out to go to the restroom, and my boss lets me back in the meeting room; I whisper and ask him when the meeting is over, and he guesses "soon?" Back to Q&A where the big boss is explaining things that are coming up soon but for now, if it says signature needed but there's a note that says no signature, don't get a signature, even if it flags you!

She reminds us so many times that when we had SameDay, we ignored our local store deliveries because we were so insanely busy, but now all we have is that, but they don't want to use us because of us being so lovely to them for years! So as drivers, we need to remind them daily that they can use us! Go in the stores and chat and remind them! We have no more SameDay, we need them to give us work!

At 2:35 I leave. The Q&A is still on full force, and people that work from that location/hub are trying to keep the questions going, so they don't have to potentially go back to work; they're off at 3. The 3 of us from across the city have 45 minutes at best drive through rush hour. It actually took me about an hour to get back to base. I found out the meeting was over at 2:45, so I expect to get a nasty email or text tomorrow about leaving early when I had no other deliveries on me. Hell, the big boss lady even mocked people who won't stay late, though I doubt she knows our last manager regularly made us stay 30-60 minutes late every day because she wanted more people to be hired on.

When I got back to base, I had a text from the driver that left early; at 2pm a store about 40 minutes from the meeting needed a pickup to go across town, but since everyone was still in the meeting, dispatch was freaking out because it wouldn't go out today. Because that's what we were beaten over the head with in the meeting: we NEED the stores to use us and give us work! So the best way to do that is....to make everyone not able to deliver poo poo on the busiest day of the week.

Chef's kiss all around. And kudos to the boss for bringing in 2 pizzas, a box of snack bag chips, and WalMart 2 liters of room temperature soda for the meeting. And also kudos to the sick dude who was coughing near the pizzas.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Epilogue to the meeting: I was expecting a text or email from my boss either yesterday or today but had the pleasant surprise of him actually being at my location this morning because he wanted to talk to me and the other driver who left early directly.

Apparently the other two drivers from our location didn't get back to base until 4:30 or so. And dispatch was hitting them up if they wanted to stay late. Because the orders kept coming in and stores were getting annoyed that nothing was being picked up.

But none of that matters according to my manager, because as he says yesterday we were not on as couriers in the afternoon, we were being paid to be in the meeting, and both of us drivers leaving made the head manager extremely upset because apparently she has some kind of safety award for me. So she was quite upset, and my manager who has been mostly hands-off and extremely checked out of course was checked in yesterday with the boss's boss's boss in and he was furious.

So he asked me today why I left early, and I explained that the other driver had several deliveries and there was a pretty good chance once I left, when I was no longer stationary, they would start putting stuff on me too. That didn't cut any cheese with him unfortunately, and he reiterated that yesterday we were not being paid to be couriers. We were being paid to be in the meeting.

He did reiterate a few times that he was not mad at me and this was not a write-up, but he was extremely disappointed in me, and keep in mind that this was all.as soon as I pulled into the parking lot he greeted me there so I didn't even get a chance to clock in.

Apparently I looked contrite enough that he didn't push the issue, but then he went to find the other driver who had left early, and that driver who's been with a company for about 30 years was not contrite and very aggressively talking back and I didn't see exactly what happened because this was again in the parking lot of our store.

It felt almost like when you're in elementary school or when your parents are mad at you and everyone else is kind of watching and they definitely want the details but no one wants to be there clearly eavesdropping because the two drivers set didn't leave yesterday were both extremely curious what we were being talked to about.

But I don't know how much is it going to blow up because the other driver is going to contact HR because apparently the manager told him he didn't have a right to think or make decisions about his route.

Just one of those annoying things, and if I had a time machine I would definitely go back and tell my yesterday self hey, the meeting will be over by 3:00 so it's still going to suck to try and get back to base but at the very least you won't have to deal with this tomorrow.

Pain in the rear end all around.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blow it off. It's just part of the ongoing effort to get people to quit. They aren't hitting their attrition targets and the Big Office is unhappy about it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

After 19 years at my store I got my very first masturbator today. We called the cops but sadly he came before they did.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So yesterday my mom decided she was going to go to Ross just because she wants to do a little looking around. I mean it's the week before Christmas, and she's retired and has all the time in the world, but she was shocked, totally aghast at how insanely busy it was, how the line just stretched from the front of the store to the end of the store because well she didn't think anyone would be shopping right now!

And work related news, Tuesday, the day after that horrible meeting, I had a manager at one of our pickup locations. Get pretty snippy and angry with me. When I was picking up a delivery that was a day late, and he told me that he knew the drivers were mostly sitting in their vans doing nothing for the day, so for him to call dispatch to be told there were no drivers available to do any deliveries that afternoon was just unacceptable. I apologized but he clearly wasn't interested. So again just another dropped thing where someone should have told all the store managers that no deliveries would be made after noon on Monday but they didn't. Even though half the meeting was spent reminding us and urging us to be nice to the store because they're the only reason we have a job.

Hell, the big boss even told us that we should be calling the store managers to remind them that deliveries were free! And apparently one of the drivers did that Monday after the meeting to the point that on Tuesday a few other managers were kind of amused and asked me what that was all about.

And of course yesterday, as I'm heading into my store, they left the vacuum cleaner out which was a huge tripping hazard with all this stupid cord, but everyone in the store was working on this mass folding order for a customer. One of the store workers saw me by the vacuum and asked me when I was going to start vacuuming because they were all busy, and the store manager kind of laughed and said yeah actually your boss did call us up and told us we were to make use of you in any way we want to which includes vacuuming. Janitorial. Whatever.

Never mind that the store actually had an order that could go out, but they didn't want to put it in the system, even though it's totally free, because they wanted to wait until they had more items to add to it. So there was work I could have done but they refused to give it to me.

My interview with the DMV a few weeks ago seem to go okay, but I haven't heard back although they did say would take two or three weeks and maybe the holiday is throwing that off.

Oh and the other driver that left the meeting that looks really sick might have covid. And a horrible part of me wishes that he did and that he spread it to everyone else in the meeting who wasn't wearing a mask and was definitely eating after he was breathing on the pizza.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Lost another coworker to thinking that they were invisible to surveillance cameras and a genius criminal.

He would get himself excused early from all hands meetings for his department held while the store was closed, then go downstairs, load up carts with expensive poo poo, wave his dad's van into the drive-in and load it up with stolen goods. The most surprising part is that his masterful strategy of "simply walk out of the store with expensive poo poo in view of all the cameras" apparently worked for almost a year before he got busted, and that despite being employed during two high profile employee theft busts, he still thought that he was the chosen one who would not get caught.

Thankfully he was also an intolerably annoying person so getting rid of him makes me happy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Lost another coworker to thinking that they were invisible to surveillance cameras and a genius criminal.

He would get himself excused early from all hands meetings for his department held while the store was closed, then go downstairs, load up carts with expensive poo poo, wave his dad's van into the drive-in and load it up with stolen goods. The most surprising part is that his masterful strategy of "simply walk out of the store with expensive poo poo in view of all the cameras" apparently worked for almost a year before he got busted, and that despite being employed during two high profile employee theft busts, he still thought that he was the chosen one who would not get caught.

Thankfully he was also an intolerably annoying person so getting rid of him makes me happy.

Were they just waiting for him to steal what would amount to be a felony? I've heard of some stores doing that but that's not employees usually.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Were they just waiting for him to steal what would amount to be a felony? I've heard of some stores doing that but that's not employees usually.

A lot of the time it's a case of 'if no one is looking for theft you can get away with it, but the second someone becomes suspicious you are immediately caught'. This leads to stupid people getting incredibly brazen when they don't get caught the first time.

He probably did something stupid like kept stealing the same high-value item, so the stock issues stuck out from the usual shrink background noise, so someone spent a couple of hours skipping through camera footage until they narrowed down the time the stuff went missing, noticed it was during an all hands, and then at the next all hands they made a note of who wasn't there, and then built on that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't believe so, I think that HazCat got it right, since that's how it worked for every other idiot who got caught stealing.

Also a matter of their needing some actual evidence to bring it to the cops and for the firing to be permissible.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

today a customer left the remains of their sushi (shrimp tails?) under a bunch of our beets.

i really hate these mother fuckers sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rainbow Knight posted:

today a customer left the remains of their sushi (shrimp tails?) under a bunch of our beets.

i really hate these mother fuckers sometimes.

I've had customers leave half hot dogs and half-eaten containers of french fries in some of our displays over the years.