Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
It's getting harder for me to use my second monitor, some probably 8 or 9 year old BenQ 1440p but compared to the crispness of my LG GL850-B, it's getting to blurry to use for reading anything.

I've been thinking of upgrading my main monitor to a 4k monitor and moving the LG to the secondary. I use it for gaming, lately wow and bg3 and would be pairing with a 7900xtx.
It seems like a great idea and the card should handle 4k gaming fairly well right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just picked up my LG UltraGear 27GP850P-B today, and wow, the difference is stunning. No space for a second monitor, and I'll have to work out how to get my work laptop in the same area, but it's got so much more real estate.

I apparently should calibrate it first? Is that something I must do manually, with test patterns and the like, or is there any automated way of doing it?

EDIT: Also, I needed to buy a longer cable than the packaging had, and I went with HDMI 2.1. Starting to suspect DisplayPort might've been a better option right? I'm running it off of a 3070Ti

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 8, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Serperoth posted:

Just picked up my LG UltraGear 27GP850P-B today, and wow, the difference is stunning. No space for a second monitor, and I'll have to work out how to get my work laptop in the same area, but it's got so much more real estate.

I apparently should calibrate it first? Is that something I must do manually, with test patterns and the like, or is there any automated way of doing it?

EDIT: Also, I needed to buy a longer cable than the packaging had, and I went with HDMI 2.1. Starting to suspect DisplayPort might've been a better option right? I'm running it off of a 3070Ti

You want a colorimeter. They run between ~$150 - 400, depending on what you need out of one. Spyder and Calibrite are the usual suspects. They tend to work best when using DisplayCal (https://displaycal.net/) instead of the bundled software.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Unless you’re doing color-accurate work like photo or video editing, you can honestly skip calibration.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RTings puts up calibrated color profiles for the monitors they review, I would just download it from there

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

change my name posted:

RTings puts up calibrated color profiles for the monitors they review, I would just download it from there

That sounds like the easy thing to do yeah. Don't care for like, image editing, just to look alright

Oh also, the monitor came with a little plastic clip that goes in one side of the bottom of the bezel. Does that have any function or is that for like, looks? Just looks to hang there, I have no idea what that was for.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 8, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
see if you can rent a colorimeter, you never know

truhu was supposed to be an affordable solution, but the release of their windows app has stalled by the look of it

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Ended up getting this thing on black friday after flailing around for like 7 hours trying to pick between options I did not completely understand the difference between. (Called a "I know a guy," then disregarded advice to buy the 200 dollar monitor because I had already psyched myself up to spend the 300 it was on sale.)

Pretty happy with it. Turned down the rear LEDs and it was good to go.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...&eut=3448732847

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Volcott posted:

Ended up getting this thing on black friday after flailing around for like 7 hours trying to pick between options I did not completely understand the difference between. (Called a "I know a guy," then disregarded advice to buy the 200 dollar monitor because I had already psyched myself up to spend the 300 it was on sale.)

Pretty happy with it. Turned down the rear LEDs and it was good to go.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...&eut=3448732847

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/hp/omen-27qs

It seems okay. Pretty good for $300, even.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seems like TCL CSOT is finally going to start commercializing IJP OLED products next year, starting with a stupid curved 65" 8K 120hz monitor (presumably needs DP 2.1) and a 2.8K laptop panel: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/news/6456b00

IJP = inkjet printed, the OLED manufacturing process developed by JOLED before they went bankrupt. One of their biggest selling points for monitors will be the simple RGB stripe subpixel layout. Feels like TCL has been teasing this process for years, but it looks like they're finally going to be real. We might even see TV announcements at CES too if they're announcing monitor/laptop panels right now. And technically, if 65" 8K is possible, then 32" 4K should be too. Would be nice to have another competitor in the OLED space aside from LG and Samsung, though we'll probably only see ultra expensive premium products for the first year.

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
If anybody else has an Alienware AW3423DW, Dell figured out a way to do a firmware update to a gsync module monitor without having to ship your monitor to them:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=k0phf&oscode=wt64a&productcode=aw3423dw-monitor

Mine was originally on version M0B102 and it flashed it to M0B106. I think there was a second hardware revision because other people have reported being updated to M0B205. Either way, it fixed my issues with the color preset reverting to standard from the sRGB calibrated mode after the monitor went to sleep, flickering on lower refresh rates, and I haven't had the issue where sometimes the monitor wouldn't wake up after going to sleep or changing modes until I unplugged it.

If you're trying to decide between a DW or DWF, a lack of firmware updates isn't a difference anymore.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My work uses 43" 4k monitors for dev and design. We're using Philips BDM4350s and they're great, but starting to fail.

Just need 60hz, good viewing angles, good colour, clear text, and yuge. No game related features necessary. Seems like there aren't many monitors in this category.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Toksai posted:

If anybody else has an Alienware AW3423DW, Dell figured out a way to do a firmware update to a gsync module monitor without having to ship your monitor to them:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=k0phf&oscode=wt64a&productcode=aw3423dw-monitor

Mine was originally on version M0B102 and it flashed it to M0B106. I think there was a second hardware revision because other people have reported being updated to M0B205. Either way, it fixed my issues with the color preset reverting to standard from the sRGB calibrated mode after the monitor went to sleep, flickering on lower refresh rates, and I haven't had the issue where sometimes the monitor wouldn't wake up after going to sleep or changing modes until I unplugged it.

If you're trying to decide between a DW or DWF, a lack of firmware updates isn't a difference anymore.

Hey thanks for the tip! Not having any real problems but it's good to know I can update it now if I needed to.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

Serperoth posted:

That sounds like the easy thing to do yeah. Don't care for like, image editing, just to look alright

Oh also, the monitor came with a little plastic clip that goes in one side of the bottom of the bezel. Does that have any function or is that for like, looks? Just looks to hang there, I have no idea what that was for.

Just got this monitor recently too. I'm pretty sure that plastic clip is just for cable management for your mouse/keyboard/etc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any guess when physical connector for HDMI and DP will change? Probably full size DP will go away sooner than HDMI? Just wild to think that OG first gen HDMI/DP devices will still work with simple or no adapter on displays 10/25/50yr from now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DP2.1 is still using the same connector and that's not going to be superseded any time soon, in its fastest mode it can scale all the way to lossless 5K 144hz HDR or 8K 60hz HDR

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I want to play xbox 360 over HDMI on a TV made in 2050.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i cant for the life of me figure out why my 4090 has 3 display port 1.4s too slow to run my display and 1 hdmi 2.1. on a card where i would actually want the highest speed ports with more than one monitor

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
This actually seems an appropriate time to ask this question given the last few posts.

I just got a new monitor from work (Samsung LU28E85KRS) and it won't let me select 60hz refresh rate, but AFAIK it supports it https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824022461. I'm running Windows 11 and a 4K resolution. The laptop is an HP Elitebook 840 G7 with an i5-10310U CPU and its integrated GPU so that should support it https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201892/intel-core-i510310u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html. I also have the HP USB-C G5 Dock. I have a DP1.2 cable to the dock. I'm in the bottom port stuck at 4K 30hz. If I go to 1440p then I can get 60hz. The top port on the dock auto switches to 1440p@60 and 4K isn't even an option. I switched to HDMI (not sure if the cable is >2.0) and the one port on the dock gives 4K@30. I bypassed the dock and plugged HDMI into the laptop with no luck. Any ideas?

Internal IT at a big company is not great and they immediately think they need to replace it, but I'm sure it's not that.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 14, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ethanol posted:

i cant for the life of me figure out why my 4090 has 3 display port 1.4s too slow to run my display and 1 hdmi 2.1. on a card where i would actually want the highest speed ports with more than one monitor

DisplayPort 1.4a has enough bandwidth to do 3840x2160 at 120 Hz with HDR enabled. Might have to use DSC for 10-bit color, but I'm confused what monitor(s) you're running where this isn't sufficient.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

DisplayPort 1.4a has enough bandwidth to do 3840x2160 at 120 Hz with HDR enabled. Might have to use DSC for 10-bit color, but I'm confused what monitor(s) you're running where this isn't sufficient.

What is dsc? I can’t enable 4k120 hdr in windows unless I’m on that hdmi port. It’s an lg c2 (no display ports) but I want to change to a dual monitor 32 4k oled when they come out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DSC stands for Display Stream Compression. As far as enabling 4K @ 120Hz over DisplayPort, check in the Nvidia control panel while connected to a device that supports that resolution and refresh, you should have the option to enable it there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Display Stream Compression is a "visually lossless" lightweight compression standard that shrinks raw pixel data down to as low as 1/3rd its original size, effectively tripling the amount of pixel data any cable standard supports. "Visually lossless" is not actually lossless, though after using DSC monitors alongside non-DSC monitors for the last few years, I have yet to find a single instance where image quality has been visibly degraded. Though, annoyingly, you can't enable DLDSR in the nvidia drivers when DSC is active for some reason. Using it may also increase the time it takes to switch display modes/inputs a little, though I've never found this to be too bad.

Anyway, the 4K OLEDs are going to be 240hz, and you'll need to use DSC to achieve that whether it's over HDMI or DP 1.4. There should be no functional difference between the two, and you should have no problem using two at once with an nvidia GPU. Worst case, you'll have to set one to 120hz or whatever if for some reason your GPU doesn't like running two monitors at 240hz. (it really should be fine though)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 14, 2023

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Falcon2001 posted:

Gigabyte M32U

You having any of the issues that popped for on mine? (M32U-AE, I assume same panels).

While connected to my TB4 dock (Caldigit TS4) via DP, it recently started to just blip black did a second or two, happens maybe 6 times a workday. It doesn't reboot (no splash screen), just seems to renegotiate the display connection.

I've also started having it display get stuck with large grayscale and neon color scheme when switching input from dock to Xbox series X. Only way to fix that is to reboot monitor.

I just opened a ticket/claim with gigabyte tonight.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The AOC Q27G3XMN, that $260 1440p 180hz VA monitor with a mini-led backlight that's been getting some buzz lately, has been reviewed by TFT Central and RTINGS now, and both reviews are fairly positive:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/q27g3xmn
https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc-q27g3xmn

The first concern with VA monitors is always dark-level smearing, and this monitor does pretty well in that regard. Response times are pretty reasonable and there's much less smearing than what you find on most VA panels. The mini-LED backlight only has 336 zones, but it seems pretty effective at enhancing contrast anyway with the ratio going to around 10,000:1 in checkerboard tests and over 100,000:1 when there's more distance between bright and dark parts of the screen. Accuracy seems alright though not perfect too.

The biggest potential dealbreaker is that RTINGS reported "a bit of flicker" when VRR is enabled. They don't really give more details than that though, so it's hard to say how frequent or noticeable it will be. TFT Central again says they saw "a bit" of flickering with local dimming enabled on static screens (and RTINGS' test is a static image with heavy frame rate fluctuations) but not dynamic content for some reason. Honestly not sure what to take from this. I think most people will be okay with this or not notice it at all if it only happens lightly during specific types of scenes. My Neo G7's backlight only tends to lightly flicker during load screens with dark backgrounds for instance, which is soundly in "who cares" territory for me.

Overall, at $260, it seems like a pretty solid entry point to HDR gaming.

edit: Also Monitors Unboxed reviewed the Acer XV275K P3, a 4K 160Hz IPS with a 576-zone backlight that usually sells for around $600 (currently $550 at best buy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yA9mzfjjs

Some goons have already bought this one, and I recall some liking it and others not. The on-screen display seems terrible to use, and the process of switching into and out of HDR seems tedious as hell, which is probably the biggest issue with the monitor. If you want a "cheap" 4K HDR display though and can tolerate the buggy and frustrating OSD, it could be an option.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 14, 2023

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
I'm looking to get an ultrawide monitor and not really sure what the current recommendations are. Primary uses would be for work (programming) and games. I have a 3070 to drive it, which I realize probably isn't the best for new stuff but I don't mind playing stuff pillarboxed until the next time I upgrade my graphics card.

Looking to keep it under $1000. Sounds like OLED is probably out given burn-in concerns which is fine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As I ran dual LG 34" 1080p Ultrawides (34UM64-P's) for 7 years, I can highly recommend that for productivity. Effectively two 34WP65G's these days, which should be well under $1000

e; Ran on an RX580 and ran cyberpunk just fine, just at medium.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 15, 2023

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

M_Gargantua posted:

As I ran dual LG 34" 1080p Ultrawides (34UM64-P's) for 7 years, I can highly recommend that for productivity. Effectively two 34WP65G's these days, which should be well under $1000

e; Ran on an RX580 and ran cyberpunk just fine, just at medium.

Sorry, I forgot to mention more helpful specifics: I'm looking for a 1440p ultrawide, preferably 144hz refresh rate or higher.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's technically a little higher res than 1440p but I will continue to sing the praises of the AW3821DW, it's less than $1000 and one of the best UWs for productivity given the screen size.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I find the AW38 is fairly similar for games to my AW34 but it's significantly better for productivity.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

38" UW 3840x1600 is amazing for productivity and even my Viewsonic with 60hz max is fine for gaming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really liked my 38'' 3840x1600 LG, it did ~140hz. But when I was looking to upgrade, there's not much with that size or resolution. I made the jump to 32x9 with the Samsung G9 OLED. Form factor has taken some getting used to and it's got me itching to upgrade my 3090.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I've posted here a couple of times asking for advice and each time I talk myself out of deciding and purchasing anything. At the risk of turning into the proverbial goon-in-the-well I'm back for more, because I might actually have some spare no-guilt disposable income after Xmas.

I have dual 1080p 24" screens, and a Macbook open as an extra third display when WFH. I have two main problems:
1) Usable screen space. 2 code panes side by side forces me to scroll horizontally, and vertical space is also not great. I can't fix this with smaller fonts because the resolution/size works out at around 92 PPI and it's not readable easily.
2) I need to get a smaller desk to move my workspace to another part of my house, and this setup is too wide for my already-too-wide desk, even with it set up in a shallow curve.

I'm pretty much just aiming to get maximum usable desktop space while physically downsizing, so despite goons best efforts last time to convince me this is stupid I'm still leaning toward a ~43" display, for a few reasons

Any smaller and 1x scaling will be too small, but any wider won't fit in my desk's new location. At 1x scaling things would be about 25% smaller I think, but at slightly higher PPI (104 vs 92) so it should just about balance out.
Better dual monitors is another option, but one screen with no bezels seems more flexible for window layouts vertically and horizontally - it's an ultrawide with another ultrawide above it.
Having to move your neck to look at things comes up a lot in threads about displays this big, but my current setup is a lot wider than one 43" screen so I suspect this would actually improve, and I expect the top third or so would end up being used for "background" stuff rather than constantly looking up and down - stuff like Slack, youtube/spotify, video calls, etc.
Most monitors this size seem to include PiP/PbP so I can still swap "one monitor" over to my PC to game while a work thing is loading or whatever.
Gaming in general might be a little awkward but I don't plan to game in 4k, especially not full-screen. I'll run games in windowed mode and center them where possible so I can still have a browser open etc, and I don't play many PC games anyway.

Ideally I want to spend about £500, but if the value proposition increases a lot above that I'm a little flexible.

Are there any go-to recommendations for good options here, specifically in the UK? I've seen the LG UN700, LG UD79, Samsung M7 "Smart" Monitor, and Dell's UltraSharp 4317q or 4320q available, but it's hard to know if the older ones in that list are still decent, and whether I'm missing some older (read: cheaper) options that are still decent?

I've tried looking at rtings but it's very US-oriented, so especially the TV models often don't exist internationally, or have different model numbers, or secretly aren't the same. In the rare case it exists and is the same in Europe, it's usually out of production (or £1200+). Their recommended TCL and Hisense 43" TVs are especially bad for this it seems.

Things I don't care about much:
- HDR
- High max brightness (my office is a dark-ish room)

Bonus points but not required at all:
- Colour accuracy (but still consumer-grade), for my hobby photo stuff.
- >60 Hz refresh rate
- KVM functionality (lol, 0% chance in this budget)

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 16, 2023

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hey there, I know I asked about the Gigabyte M27Q P before, but how am I supposed to calibrate based on the RTings settings? I heard that the Gigabyte was supposed to be better at color calibration than a Pixio, but I'm getting quite concerned about the Gigabyte's white colors looking for ivory/off-white in comparison to the Pixio. I have the two of them right next to each other right now to compare how they're handling pure white images.

I went to RTings and tried to follow with what numbers where there in regards to putting the RGB settings to 99-94-91 on the monitor settings, and downloading the ICC profile file and doing whatever the hell this is, but maybe dialing in the RGB settings is what's causing me to get this horrible ivory white color to what should be colorless whites? I'm not sure how to color calibrate this Gigabyte monitor correctly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The AOC Q27G3XMN, that $260 1440p 180hz VA monitor with a mini-led backlight that's been getting some buzz lately, has been reviewed by TFT Central and RTINGS now, and both reviews are fairly positive:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/q27g3xmn
https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc-q27g3xmn

The first concern with VA monitors is always dark-level smearing, and this monitor does pretty well in that regard. Response times are pretty reasonable and there's much less smearing than what you find on most VA panels. The mini-LED backlight only has 336 zones, but it seems pretty effective at enhancing contrast anyway with the ratio going to around 10,000:1 in checkerboard tests and over 100,000:1 when there's more distance between bright and dark parts of the screen. Accuracy seems alright though not perfect too.

The biggest potential dealbreaker is that RTINGS reported "a bit of flicker" when VRR is enabled. They don't really give more details than that though, so it's hard to say how frequent or noticeable it will be. TFT Central again says they saw "a bit" of flickering with local dimming enabled on static screens (and RTINGS' test is a static image with heavy frame rate fluctuations) but not dynamic content for some reason. Honestly not sure what to take from this. I think most people will be okay with this or not notice it at all if it only happens lightly during specific types of scenes. My Neo G7's backlight only tends to lightly flicker during load screens with dark backgrounds for instance, which is soundly in "who cares" territory for me.

Overall, at $260, it seems like a pretty solid entry point to HDR gaming.

edit: Also Monitors Unboxed reviewed the Acer XV275K P3, a 4K 160Hz IPS with a 576-zone backlight that usually sells for around $600 (currently $550 at best buy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yA9mzfjjs

Some goons have already bought this one, and I recall some liking it and others not. The on-screen display seems terrible to use, and the process of switching into and out of HDR seems tedious as hell, which is probably the biggest issue with the monitor. If you want a "cheap" 4K HDR display though and can tolerate the buggy and frustrating OSD, it could be an option.

Yeah, from personal experience the monitor punches way above its weight when gaming and on hdr content. Really pleased with the purchase other than the first one coming in cracked from UPS but thats on them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking to pickup a 18.5 portable monitor for fun. One use case is Xbox 360. But will 360 1080p output look good scaled on a 18.5in 1440p monitor? Or should I get a 1080p native display?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Almost nothing on an Xbox 360 it's anywhere near 1080p to begin with, the scaling isn't that bad IMO

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

K8.0 posted:

Almost nothing on an Xbox 360 it's anywhere near 1080p to begin with, the scaling isn't that bad IMO

So 360 on a 1080p, 1440p or 4k monitor will mostly all look the same?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Assuming the same screen size to viewing distance ratio, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Well the 360 doesn't support 1440p or 4k, it will just set the monitor to 1080p (or most likely 720p) so it could look worse on higher resolution screens depending on how well the monitor scales.