Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find the e-trons annoying confusing with their numbering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

stevewm posted:

Not that it really matters in NA, but I wonder if the detachable NACS cables would be compatible with existing Type 2 equipment...

For AC I don't see why not, connector doesn't matter.

Here we get Type 1 and Type 2 cars while most public AC chargers are a Type 2 socket so you just bring whichever cable fits your car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

stevewm posted:

The SAE is nearly ready to release their standardization of NACS (now also known as J3400).

https://electrek.co/2023/12/15/saes-nacs-certification-is-ready-and-itll-fix-every-ev-charging-problem-at-once/

It has something I don't think anyone was expecting... They came up with a way to use detachable cables, like Type 2 does... By using Type 2! The standard apparently defines detachable cables using Type 2 on the EVSE side, and J1772/NACS on the vehicle side.

(from the linked article)

Not that it really matters in NA, but I wonder if the detachable NACS cables would be compatible with existing Type 2 equipment...

Oh, that's kinda cool.

I wonder if it'll catch on as a replacement for NEMA 14-50

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

They seem like a lot and if you wanna talk optioning up, BMWs are so bad for that.

CPOs will definitely be the way to go with those. I do see a lot of iXs around which always surprises me. They’re pretty pricey!!

A dealer near Arlington had an executive trim 2023 iX M60 with 5k miles for $80k

That’s about $50k off MSRP

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tiny Timbs posted:

A dealer near Arlington had an executive trim 2023 iX M60 with 5k miles for $80k

That’s about $50k off MSRP

God drat! That’s not bad, I assume the M60 is pretty loaded.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

I find the e-trons annoying confusing with their numbering.

It's pretty awful, the newer sedan looking/sized one looks fully sick though, easily the best looking EV out there right now, we have one that parks at work and all the car guys ogle it and talk about it, even ones that aren't interested in EVs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm really dumb and probably going to get the dual motor if I do end up buying an ex30. It turns out if I can convince myself something is a safety feature I'm willing to spend more money, and all wheel drive in a state that gets snow totally counts as a safety feature (yes yes I know snow tires > all wheel drive). Top trim too because that's where the 360 camera lives. 3.4 0-60 is really overkill though I don't think I've ever floored my Bolt.

If that’s too much power for you you could always get one of the slow EVs like a Mach-e GT.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm still a little amazed that legislators didn't smack down Elon's proprietary charger network as anti-competitive, but here we are now declaring loyalty to Elon's charger for the foreseeable future.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm still a little amazed that legislators didn't smack down Elon's proprietary charger network as anti-competitive, but here we are now declaring loyalty to Elon's charger for the foreseeable future.

this is not a very well thought through take

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

If that’s too much power for you you could always get one of the slow EVs like a Mach-e GT.

While I like small cars I think it's cruel to use them against pedestrians and so I'm going to buy a Cybertruck beast.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 16, 2023

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

stevewm posted:

I had one of those type 2 to j1772 cables 8 years ago on my Leaf here in Norway (the Leaf was special in Europe in that it both had a fast charging and slow charging connector that was different from what became standard). I think it is fairly certain that the NACS one will also work with type 2 equipment. So all the cars with a type 2 to type 2 cable that already exist outside the US would have a charging solution if imported.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

For AC I don't see why not, connector doesn't matter.

Here we get Type 1 and Type 2 cars while most public AC chargers are a Type 2 socket so you just bring whichever cable fits your car.

Type 2 can do DC, it's what tesla did on mk1 superchargers here.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm amazed they didn't give him a bazillion dollars to do it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Who cares which standard gets used, as long as everyone agrees to use that one standard.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Don't make me post the xkcd comic about standards.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Not Wolverine posted:

Didn't Tesla launch superchargers before those standards even got standardized?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Didn't Tesla launch superchargers before those standards even got standardized?

Yes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Superchargers are proprietary/club only and don’t really have anything to do with the port standard

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Type 2 can do DC, it's what tesla did on mk1 superchargers here.

I'm glad we're going to bring an existing standard across the pond rather than invent something new, but god drat it, now I have to learn all about Mennekes connectors in addition to knowing about NACS, J1772, CHAdeMO, and CCS1.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

I'm glad we're going to bring an existing standard across the pond rather than invent something new, but god drat it, now I have to learn all about Mennekes connectors in addition to knowing about NACS, J1772, CHAdeMO, and CCS1.

The main mechanical difference in type 1 and type 2 is that locking is on the device, not the connector. Meaning that locking is up to the car and charger, usually with electromechanical "teeth" that won't let go easily.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
If transport electrification goes anywhere close to what’s desired, then yeah there will be a point where demand for gasoline is depressed and drops enough that the price per mile will be lower than EVs.

It would be a responsible government’s job to then tax the poo poo out of gas as to not stall electrification.

Lol, we’re screwed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If the infrastructure for gasoline doesn't wind down at the same speed demand drops, I could see gas prices go up even as demand goes down, before it all catches up.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Either way, by the time EVs get popular enough to have any impact on gas prices, the general public will probably be familiar with the other benefits of going electric - mainly, fewer parts to service.

And I've noticed that Tesla's site states that the RWD and Long Range versions of Model 3 will completely lose the tax credit, but no mention of any change to the Model Y. Things could get interesting next year.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Model 3 performance will be cheaper than the AWD then.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
As would the Model Y - which, now that I think about it, may drive up demand for it to the point of making it harder for me to get my hands on the Juniper refresh when it comes out. :ohdear:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dad might actually buy a car soon, after three years of waffling. Holding my breath...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just a few days left to play The Sheep Game!

Click our mission patch to get reported by some fuckin nerd who needs a swirlie play today!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cruft posted:

Dad might actually buy a car soon, after three years of waffling. Holding my breath...

Hope it’s not a ford

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Looks like someone hacked together an adapter that spoofs CCS chargers into charging Chademo cars, kinda cool, kinda hella sketchy.

https://youtu.be/5ZcSonzRW-U?si=cdMmwmSHKfS09j4g

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cruft posted:

Oh, that's kinda cool.

I wonder if it'll catch on as a replacement for NEMA 14-50
I've been intermittently daydreaming about a RV with an Edison Motors style series hybrid system and that led to thinking about how L2 EVSEs would actually be a really nice upgrade for RV power input across the board.

All the power levels used in North American RVs (I just realized I have no idea how RV connections work in places that don't use NEMA connectors) plus more are handled in a single connector, with autonegotiation so you never have to configure a power controller for what the input actually is or hook up a dogbone to adapt plugs. Not only that, but the potential for dynamic renegotiation to avoid brownouts/blackouts during hot summer days when everyone's ACs are cranking.

The only real problem with that idea was the fixed cords being the responsibility of the RV park, which would never fly as they'd be both more expensive than and treated worse than public charger cords.

This solves that problem and means those same pole-mount EVSEs this spec enables could also be used at RV parks.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Not strictly an EV issue, but something that comes up often here: VW is bringing buttons back because people kept complaining about touch screen interfaces https://www.thedrive.com/news/vw-is-putting-buttons-back-in-cars-because-people-complained-enough

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

borkencode posted:

Not strictly an EV issue, but something that comes up often here: VW is bringing buttons back because people kept complaining about touch screen interfaces https://www.thedrive.com/news/vw-is-putting-buttons-back-in-cars-because-people-complained-enough

I think the big issue here isn't so much buttons vs no buttons, its atrocious ui vs good ui. Its just harder to mess physical buttons up since they've been doing it for so long.

VW had terrible ui for their screens and used bad capacitive touch buttons on the wheel. That's bad.

Other brands haven't done such a poor job and people generally don't complain that much about them.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I disagree entirely. The issue here is that nothing one is likely to have to adjust while driving should be on a touch screen that forces eyes off the road.

But also everyone seems to drive around staring at their phones half the time so I’m just some old crank reminiscing about the days when adjusting the temperature wasn’t likely to result in mowing down a crossing guard or careening into a retention pond.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Loucks posted:

I disagree entirely. The issue here is that nothing one is likely to have to adjust while driving should be on a touch screen that forces eyes off the road.

But also everyone seems to drive around staring at their phones half the time so I’m just some old crank reminiscing about the days when adjusting the temperature wasn’t likely to result in mowing down a crossing guard or careening into a retention pond.

Lol why does it matter self driving exists just use that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Loucks posted:

I agree, that's the crux of the issue. But also, their digital interfaces just weren't working half the time. It sounds like they have some serious software problems, according to the article

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Duck and Cover posted:

Lol why does it matter self driving exists just use that.

No, see, they're trying to avoid running over people.

Please make everything in the car a distinctly shaped physical object that I can operate entirely blind.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kill me now posted:

VW had terrible ui for their screens and used bad capacitive touch buttons on the wheel. That's bad.

Capacitive buttons are a weird choice for a car. The responsiveness varies based on relative humidity, and how much water/salt is in your body at the time. Not only that, they don't work reliably with, like, gloves on. And implementing haptic feedback with them can wind up costing more than the button you were trying to replace.

I expect, now that there's a car with 100% capacitive buttons, manufacturers will have gotten that out of their systems, and roll back to some hybrid approach where important things like shifting and turn signals are physical buttons and levers, but they can still save COGs by keeping in a touchscreen a lot of less-important things like the radio and nav computer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You can do just about everything in the ID.4 without using the touch screen, it's just that all their buttons are capacitive and loving suck the novelty of waving your hand in front of the map lights wears off real goddamn quick when they're turning on while you want to do something else.

The UI almost ruins the entire car and VW is right that it needs to be fixed.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Loucks posted:

I would be a lot of money that most people glance at the climate controls when they adjust something even when its knobs and buttons.

Bad ui keeps your eyes off the road for extended periods though and that's the difference.

My experience adjusting the temperature in an idrive 8 BMW is about the same as it is in my MINI with physical controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
A good touchscreen interface design would use the physical edges for things like temperature adjustment and can be as usable without looking at them as knobs and sliders. Most I've seen are just aping Apple's UI though instead of being designed for function. I'd rather have physical controls then.