Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

All the auto shops other than Walmart and maybe, like, Pep Boys are closed on the weekends now so I need to take time off work to get my car fixed. It's good for the people working those jobs to have regular days off, but it sure sucks from my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Doesn't quite fit the parameters of this thread, but I was on CNN on my phone in bed (no ad-block) and I noticed all the "outside content" on the bottom of the page is now "Check out what these AI made images of celebrities who are dead look like."

Which is essentially the same bullshit as ever but now it's got the AI buzzword.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s old people saying “things were better in my day “ but my day was 2nd quarter 2023

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The Instagram team are trying to drive up Threads usage probably to inflate some key performance metrics so they are getting real fucky with moving buttons around to trick you into clicking on Threads features... The latest UI tweak seems to be rearranging the options in the Share menu so the Threads button is where the Share to Stories button used to be - the enshittification marches on.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

redshirt posted:

The Pandemic took some shots at the Hotel Breakfast.

It took a while for anything not 100% pre packaged to come back, but when it did, strangely, potatoes have disappeared. I have not seen them at any hotel since before 2020, and they used to be a default staple. Did potatoes become super expensive?

The waffle stations have slowly returned in most places..

I’ve seen cubed seasoned potatoes at a few. They’ve only been at the higher end of hotels with continental breakfast offerings though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My YouTube feed is unusable. There are broadcasts ??? And shorts and all kind of crap idk

What happened to videos

Edit

It got worse today even !!

It’s getting worse by the day !!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MMD3 posted:

The Instagram team are trying to drive up Threads usage probably to inflate some key performance metrics so they are getting real fucky with moving buttons around to trick you into clicking on Threads features... The latest UI tweak seems to be rearranging the options in the Share menu so the Threads button is where the Share to Stories button used to be - the enshittification marches on.

I like how they’re trying to entice me to join threads by first showing stuff I would agree with, like healthcare or something idk, but then the takes are getting worse in the ads to try and bait me to going to argue or ask wtf.

Which is an even worse move because I’m not dogfighting on the internet with my real name. Couldn’t be me, I’m not a Facebook shittalker either that’s crazy. I was raised in the 90s and you don’t use your real name online.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

The Pandemic took some shots at the Hotel Breakfast.

It took a while for anything not 100% pre packaged to come back, but when it did, strangely, potatoes have disappeared. I have not seen them at any hotel since before 2020, and they used to be a default staple. Did potatoes become super expensive?

The waffle stations have slowly returned in most places..

We recently drove from California to Pittsburgh and saw lots of potatoes in hotel breakfasts. So at least there's hope.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sadly, the free coffee and doughnuts at car repair places, at least around here, are totally extinct.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

euphronius posted:

My YouTube feed is unusable. There are broadcasts ??? And shorts and all kind of crap idk

What happened to videos

Edit

https://old.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/rpmx2y/how_to_remove_related_to_your_search_related/

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

We recently drove from California to Pittsburgh and saw lots of potatoes in hotel breakfasts. So at least there's hope.

I flew down the stairs this morning at the new Residence Inn, hoping they'd have potatoes..... alas.

But at least I know they're out there, somewhere.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MMD3 posted:

"Stories are now in Feed"

gently caress off!

If I'm dumb enough to keep using Facebook for some reason do you think I really want to see more garbage in the feed?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

If this thread is going to be of any lasting value (lmao), I feel like it's going to need a hard list of the technological traps we have found ourselves in.

List of things you'd be an idiot to assume are going to stay awesome and cheap just for you:
  • an algorithm making your entertainment choices for you
  • your expensive phone and/or its expensive accessories
  • any music streaming service
  • any real-world item that relies on an app, or the internet, for basic usage
  • food delivery and driving services that use the labor of people poorer than you are
  • very cheap imported electronics
  • fast food
  • printers, except for Brother printers, sometimes

Without the benefit of the US empire you should assume your standard of living will fall by around 80%, and with the depletion of energy resources...:rubby:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

~Coxy posted:

"Stories are now in Feed"

gently caress off!

If I'm dumb enough to keep using Facebook for some reason do you think I really want to see more garbage in the feed?

God, the feed is awful. I dunno about anyone else still dumb enough to use Facebook but for me it's like a reddit feed if I followed only two subreddits. Currently 99% of what I see is The Onion reposting old articles a dozen times a day. Before that, it was Sopranos memes. If I like something, that's the only thing I'm gonna see until I like something else. If Facebook Messenger wasn't basically the only way I have to get in touch with 95% of the people I know outside my family (I'm not even sure most of the numbers I have saved in my phone are still valid, I haven't called/texted the vast majority of them in like five years) I'd drop it in an instant.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Crucial info at the bottom of that post:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Diet Poison posted:

I haven't called/texted the vast majority of them in like five years

"Hey, I'm dropping facebook because gently caress zuck. What's a good number for you?"

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

on windows 11 when I right click I then have to click see more options to see more options but windows used to just show me all the options by default

i don't like it when they change things

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They don't want you to use those options, OP

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

you broke my grill posted:

on windows 11 when I right click I then have to click see more options to see more options but windows used to just show me all the options by default

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/disable-show-more-options-context-menu-in-windows-11.1589

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

euphronius posted:

What happened to videos

Edit

The recommended system has been awful for years - I managed to get around it by spamming “not interested” any time I accidentally clicked on a bugman screaming - no more though.
I’ve somehow been micro-targeted, and there’s an ecosystem of bottom feeder content randomly selecting from my interests and mixing them in a blender. “Tony Soprano in Elden Ring.” Why is he there? Is there… some sort of punchline? No. It is a greenscreen of James Gandolfini simply walking around. “Lalo Salamanca in the backrooms.” “If Arthur was Midwest emo.” “Family guy Peter with half life 2 citadel ambiance.” Most of these videos are only a few days old. It’s like 5 monkeys jumping on a bed but for adults. Gotta be pumping out dozens a day by swapping a template, hoping to catch someone with an IQ of a goldfish. How are they even making money? Isn’t youtube stiff toward paying out creators?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FalconImpala posted:

It is a greenscreen of James Gandolfini simply walking around.

You clicked it.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
I can’t search for photos of people anymore, even celebrities. I wanted to remember what this one actor looked like and google images gave me an ebay link to a poster and blurry paparazzi shots for sale on Alarmy. It is 100% just a marketplace now. Hope I don’t have to use bing

Salt Fish posted:

You clicked it.

Research purposes only!! Been seeing them for weeks and not interacting, wanted to find out if it’s a content mill. Of course it’ll only get worse now but I might just make a new account.

FalconImpala fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 17, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
right-click, open in incognito window always for research yt links

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Brother printers may someday get bad, so to forestall that sad occasion you should probably buy one now while they're perfect and beautiful because it will last you for the rest of your life, come what may

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Am I crazy, or did digital games on the Nintendo Switch suddenly get some miserable DRM thing? I’ve had one since 2017 and mostly get my games digitally. I feel like in the last few months they suddenly have to “verify” that I can actually play my digital games all the time. I do not recall this happening ever before.

Super cool when I am taking my portable gaming device somewhere without internet and I’m locked out of the games I have 500+ hours played in because there’s no wifi nearby.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Am I crazy, or did digital games on the Nintendo Switch suddenly get some miserable DRM thing? I’ve had one since 2017 and mostly get my games digitally. I feel like in the last few months they suddenly have to “verify” that I can actually play my digital games all the time. I do not recall this happening ever before.

Super cool when I am taking my portable gaming device somewhere without internet and I’m locked out of the games I have 500+ hours played in because there’s no wifi nearby.

Did you perhaps buy a second switch and set one to your Home? I have two, a Lite and a launch. Lite is my home console and I can play anything I want offline. The GBC, SNES, and 64 channels still need to be verified like once a month.

My other Switch needs to be online to verify my games when I launch them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Goodreads book reviews are pretty awful now. I don’t know if it’s just aspiring book reviewers infected with purple prose or if AI is being used, but the last three books I’ve tried to learn about I’ve just switched to a different site for.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Capital destroyed traditional media and are now destroying the replacement. Good job

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I smoked so much weed that I didn't remember a single dream after waking up for over a decade, but I quit smoking weed a few weeks ago and now I remember them every night. When did dreams get so lovely! Every night it's always there's aliens invading, or my cat slips out the back door, or I made fun of superheroes so much they left the earth and now Mysterio is chasing me around and Spiderman called me a loser.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

you broke my grill posted:

Stop knowing how to administer your computer, start paying Microsoft :10bux: per month. If you know how a file system works you are making number stop going up

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Stop knowing how to administer your computer, start paying Microsoft :10bux: per month. If you know how a file system works you are making number stop going up

I'm actually just waiting for, 'Oh, you wanted REAL windows?! Here are all the features of Windows 7 we deleted for no particular reason, and you can have it for the low low price of.... $29.99 / month'

Stockholders rejoice.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Just got an email about my Max account, which I stupidly prepaid for last year. Congratulations, we're downgrading everything! Less devices, no 4k, go gently caress yourself! Lol!

Office Advocat
Dec 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Just got an email about my Max account, which I stupidly prepaid for last year. Congratulations, we're downgrading everything! Less devices, no 4k, go gently caress yourself! Lol!

got the same email, setting up a plex server finally

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's not as bad as shrinkflation, but the grocery store I go to found a new way to be dumb as hell with their store brand products. I'm getting the same amount for the same price, but the packaging keeps getting larger. The bags of frozen vegetables are 2/3 empty space and the canisters of oatmeal won't even fit on my pantry shelves anymore.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

So, uh, what was the tone of the email?

Desperately trying to spin it as an improvement? Veiled threats? Open threats?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I got back from a trip to the East Coast a few days ago and I have notes.

I've been to Washington DC three times in my life now, and each time the exclusion zone around the White House grows larger and larger. It's especially egregious now because you can see public paths, signposts, and even apartment buildings inside the current restricted zone, with armed guards at checkpoints checking people's id's to make sure that they actually live there and aren't sinisterly trying to jog within one half-mile of the White House. I guess you could justify increased security at the Capitol after that time the cops let a bunch of people inside some guys barged into the building, but the security procedures there had not changed at all since I was last there a decade ago.

And while we're at it, every loving building of medium importance has airport-style security. Courthouses, churches, monuments. Like, the Statue of Liberty, okay sure, it's a symbol, but you need to step through a metal detector to see the Liberty Bell?! What are they gonna do, crack it more?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Brother printers may someday get bad, so to forestall that sad occasion you should probably buy one now while they're perfect and beautiful because it will last you for the rest of your life, come what may

People get confused when I recommend that they get a printer that's like 15 years old but baby the Brother HLL2360DW is peak black and white printer performance

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Atopian posted:

So, uh, what was the tone of the email?

Desperately trying to spin it as an improvement? Veiled threats? Open threats?

Chocolate rations have been increased to 25 grams next week!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rochallor posted:

I got back from a trip to the East Coast a few days ago and I have notes.

I've been to Washington DC three times in my life now, and each time the exclusion zone around the White House grows larger and larger. It's especially egregious now because you can see public paths, signposts, and even apartment buildings inside the current restricted zone, with armed guards at checkpoints checking people's id's to make sure that they actually live there and aren't sinisterly trying to jog within one half-mile of the White House. I guess you could justify increased security at the Capitol after that time the cops let a bunch of people inside some guys barged into the building, but the security procedures there had not changed at all since I was last there a decade ago.

And while we're at it, every loving building of medium importance has airport-style security. Courthouses, churches, monuments. Like, the Statue of Liberty, okay sure, it's a symbol, but you need to step through a metal detector to see the Liberty Bell?! What are they gonna do, crack it more?

I've only ever been there while staying at hotels, and all these loving scanners burn room cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Chrome's spellcheck seems so much worse now. Half of the time it just won't underline the word, sometimes it'll show up after a few words have passed but there have been times where it just isn't detected at all. Also, often it doesn't even work right, it'll just not show a word that's close enough (if I'm annoyed, there are times where if I copy and paste the misspelled word into google search it'll immediately fix it for me), or it'll suggest the plural version of a word but not the singular one despite not ending in s. Awful, it worked fine up until like a year ago far as I can remember.