Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Arglebargle III posted:

I think you start out at 18 which is appallingly low for a Rogue Trader but you did just get cut off from all your holdings, take over the Warrant, and get your ship trashed so people are understandably not clear on whether you can actually pay them.

Where it gets weird is when you consider that buying a new macro-cannon broadside for your ship can be easier than a fancy boltgun, but the system is highly abstract.

in the ttrpg your profit factor is basically the opposite of your ship, if you've got a shitheap they assume you're going to get rich or die trying but if you've got an ancient storied vessel wtf are you doing out in Koronus and your pf starts at maybe twenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

emSparkly posted:

I've been flirting with Heinrix just to see his reactions but clearly it's never gonna work out because I'm a filthy super heretic. Is there some point of no return I need to watch out for that would turn off the cheesy romance dialogue for anyone else?
If not, well toybox has the polyamory toggle for a reason I guess.

There is a jealousy event (fairly late in my experience) that will eventually force you to make a choice, but prior to that you can pursue multiple romances simultaneously.

FWIW I found the Heinrix romance very satisfying as a Heretic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owlcat is two for two when it comes to tricking me into thinking that a companion that I don't like and want to get rid of will actually leave.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I appreciate how many opportunities this game gives you to tell people to gently caress off, not that I'll ever take any of them because I am addicted to content. But it's like how you can at any time just tell people to GTFO your ship, and drat near every character quest features options to get rid of people. I also like how, if you're a dick, you can just turn over Yrilet and Idira to the Inquisition via Hendrix whenever you want.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, uh, remember how I talked about how dangerous the Drifting Voidship boss was? Yeah, I've been pretty casually and slowly going through the game for a variety of reasons, but just made that my first exploration map (technically stopped at the location to the west with a fleet encounter first) stop out of Footfall, where I didn't even visit the Shadow Quarter yet.

That poor, poor Forgefiend.

Had its stats absolutely murdered via various sources (though heavily Cassia) in the first round, and then Cassia took the doggie for a walk (along with everything else in the area). Repeatedly. Also Flamer'd a few times by an Argenta who's got the megaboost vs. Daemonic talent for AoE weapons.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Infinity Gaia posted:

I appreciate how many opportunities this game gives you to tell people to gently caress off, not that I'll ever take any of them because I am addicted to content. But it's like how you can at any time just tell people to GTFO your ship, and drat near every character quest features options to get rid of people. I also like how, if you're a dick, you can just turn over Yrilet and Idira to the Inquisition via Hendrix whenever you want.

I like making yrrliet stick around as I just obliterate all the Eldar she wants me to save

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think I got to the spaceport battle that is in fact some bullshit. I noticed the difficulty scaling already, but just how harshly is it going to do so? I decided I am a False Gamer and lowered the difficulty, at least for this battle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can tell Abelard (I think) to gently caress off at the end of the prologue when he tries to get you to do the rites to become the new Rogue Trader and you get a game over for it

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
OK, after I got Cassia this game suddenly became very easy. I'm definitely going to start from Navigator station next time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

OK, after I got Cassia this game suddenly became very easy. I'm definitely going to start from Navigator station next time.

She's about as powerful as the rest of my party put together.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm 99% sure that the garbage trash void born idiot's built in 20% chance reroll for any skill check takes precedence over full rerolls granted by items. I cannot be bothered respeccing right now to find out if it overrides the advanced skill reroll but lol

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can tell Abelard (I think) to gently caress off at the end of the prologue when he tries to get you to do the rites to become the new Rogue Trader and you get a game over for it

I did that, just to see how deep the "but thou musts !" went after the one in front of the Warrant chamber.
Loved it, was here for it, was surprised it wasn't a cheeky cheevo TBH.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Caidin posted:

Also? Forceswords? What happened to those? I've found 2, a few dozen hours ago, and they are kitten slaps now.

There are only 2 in the entire game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Caidin posted:

Okay i finally went to that planet Argentia talked up wanting to go in like, I dunno, very late act 4 or something I think and did I miss something, or a lot of something? for a start that was more of an act 2 fight at best, considering the absolute fuckfest fights of the dungeon I had to go through before the system unlocked it was absolutely nothing. Then we don't go in the holy temple boat, Argentia freaks out and runs off, and we pick back up a day later with her saying shes a Sister Repentia now and nothing else has changed. She doesn't have any new dialog.

Also? Forceswords? What happened to those? I've found 2, a few dozen hours ago, and they are kitten slaps now.

Having done that quest, whatever vague metrics of actions I took left her jazzed up. She went in, we had to leave because of a storm, she comes back a few days later with some spiffy new power armor and her faith bolstered.

Neat right? You could legitimately beat the rest of the game in like a half hour from that point, give or take depending on how fast you read and how broken your team is. Same for the Space Marines final quest of nothing, you finish it roughly a half second before the game is over. On the one hand it's easy to bend your game over your knee by the end of act 2, on the other there's so many cool things they give you no time to play with. Oh well.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I guess it's the same as with previous Owlcat entries: most of the quality and polish is front-loaded and by the end the game starts unraveling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schubalts posted:

There are only 2 in the entire game.

Incidentally, this makes it really funny how many guides suggest taking the force sword talent to boost your melee psyker's damage output, because it calls into question how much the guidemaker understands about the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There definitely feel like way too many feats tied to specific types of weapons without any way to know how many are actually in the game. I'd like to see a mod that fights the feat bloat by combining a lot of those into targeting broader types of weapons.

I think the sparser item selection compared to their other games isn't bad so you don't have to pick through different types of bolters with slighter different stats, but it might be a little too sparse.

edit: as much as I love complicated builds digging through this long rear end feat list for 6 characters does get a bit tedious with the increased number of levels compared to d20. Any pruning of the feat list would help.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 16, 2023

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

The fact that in-lore there is a non-zero amount of inbreeding in Navigator families (especially considering that House Orsellio does not seem to maintain quarters on Terra) coupled with the fact that the "bug" was the Habsburg Jaw (which is most prominent in this photo of Charles II) tells me that this was less of a bug and more of an inside joke (in poor taste) among the dev team that made it into the final game. Regardless, removing it is definitely for the best.

I'd agree except I've seen it happen to other characters and they wouldn't have made her eyes bug out the way they do, that's less funny model deformation and more blatant clipping issue.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, I beat the game, with the Benevolentia/Iconoclast ending. There's a bunch of flag issues with the side characters that don't quite mesh with what was going on in the game (quite a few characters were dead and then suddenly were alive again) , but I'm not going to redo the game just to fix that to get a "perfect" ending.

Act 4 is the most broken of the lot, with 5 having at least had a few touches done to make sure you can beat the game without issue. I'm kind of surprised that there were 0 traps of any kind in the last act, though it was a welcome surprise since traps just slow the game down needlessly in my opinion.

Also Yrliet was just straight up the most powerful character, using officer and psyker talents to boost them and give them turn after turn they just destroyed everything in their path.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 16, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Buffing Yrliet with the officer heroic action (and would you look at that, I have 3 officers) with the perk that gives you +AP per kill on a heroic action turn, and her 10 round clip... Yeah. Janus was not a problem. That said Argenta with a bolter and the accessory that guarantees single bolter shots is a fine runner up.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So I just got to Act 3, lmao gently caress this game

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

owned

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

Buffing Yrliet with the officer heroic action (and would you look at that, I have 3 officers) with the perk that gives you +AP per kill on a heroic action turn, and her 10 round clip... Yeah. Janus was not a problem. That said Argenta with a bolter and the accessory that guarantees single bolter shots is a fine runner up.

I think they both can really do the job of killing 6+ models a turn or turbo killing one big model, they just kinda have different specialties to it.

Both of them can pierce through and kill a few bunched up priority targets, but Argenta is way better at just cutting through a whole horde and wiping it out as long as theyre placed right, but Yrliet can do it to every target she can see from a much longer distance, so smaller fights, or ones in larger areas with more elites favor giving her the officer abilities instead. They both get crazy broken, its cool. Shame they have so few interactions in the story so far though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Secretly hoping that a companion gets killed or turns out to be a secret serial killer or something, because there's too many cool companions and too little space in my party.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm in act 2 and I've encountered a strange bug, apparently if you have an office with the seize the initiative perk outside your party (Cassia, in my case) and another officer with the same perk in party (my MC), your officer gain infinite turn and can give infinite turns through their officer skill. It's so annoying, I've read in reddit that the solution is to respect the other officer and remove the perk, welp.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

After playing around with the second classes I want to change them up a bit, is there a way just to respec those or do I have to redo the entire first class too?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah Act 3 is just terrible in general. It's safe to say legit nobody likes it. Act 4 gets better, but its so buggy and the content is much less fleshed out than other chapters that I couldn't get into it.

If I were to list chapters based on how much I liked them, from best to worst it would go something like:

2-4-5-1-3. Act 1 gets its low score because its drawn out, extremely confined and I replayed it in the beta a couple of times, and 5 is above it mainly because its short and to the point, though it kind of doesn't work as a proper ending experience. I know I said 4 was the most broken of the lot, and it is, but at least it offers up a continuation of the stuff that made act 2 good, which is building your trade empire and going around more or less freeform to complete quests.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Yeah Act 3 is just terrible in general. It's safe to say legit nobody likes it. Act 4 gets better, but its so buggy and the content is much less fleshed out than other chapters that I couldn't get into it.

If I were to list chapters based on how much I liked them, from best to worst it would go something like:

2-4-5-1-3. Act 1 gets its low score because its drawn out, extremely confined and I replayed it in the beta a couple of times, and 5 is above it mainly because its short and to the point, though it kind of doesn't work as a proper ending experience. I know I said 4 was the most broken of the lot, and it is, but at least it offers up a continuation of the stuff that made act 2 good, which is building your trade empire and going around more or less freeform to complete quests.

I dunno, I thought 3 was fine and was a cool look at a pretty underutilized part of the setting. It's not too long and the combat in it was fun. The Yrliet stuff in It too probably cements that relationship as the best one in the game. Nobody else really gets that kind of depth in them. Honestly wish there was more party interaction stuff of that nature, where somebody is very vulnerable and bearing their heart to you, everybody else is usually really guarded. I wanna know more about Abelard.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 16, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I liked 3 personally. Going to prob get to 5 tonight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

For people dreading it: What the loss of power and reset amounts to really is you have to do 2 fights with only a small part of your party and bad gear and then you get it all back (mostly) and its a normal chapter, you're just cut off from the star map. To me at least it wasn't that much of a shock.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I dunno, I thought 3 was fine and was a cool look at a pretty underutilized part of the setting. It's not too long and the combat in it was fun. The Yrliet stuff in It too probably cements that relationship as the best one in the game. Nobody else really gets that kind of depth in them. Honestly wish there was more party interaction stuff of that nature, where somebody is very vulnerable and bearing their heart to you, everybody else is usually really guarded. I wanna know more about Abelard.

It was all the things you mentioned but it was also buggy as heck, took me away from my trading empire, had me rethreading tons of areas to figure out what I had missed and also felt way underutilized. Also the constant interruptions to let people know you were sick/injured pissed me off to no end, I must have gotten that interruption effect like twenty times.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I got some of my companions stuck in geometry and it took a minute to figure out why I couldnt use exits in Chapter 3, that was the only bug for me.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Worst part was remembering what equipment everyone was wearing once I got it back :(

Ive def heard of a lot of bugs tho with 3. I got a Commisars hat tho that I still wear!

Sharkopath posted:

I got some of my companions stuck in geometry and it took a minute to figure out why I couldnt use exits in Chapter 3, that was the only bug for me.

I had that in 4, but thankfully theres a Toybox thing to tele companions to you

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gonna use this as my portrait on my next character

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I did 3 post patch so maybe that helped, I think I'm gonna wait for some more fixes before diving deep into 4 if it means I avoid breaking some flags.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah Im unsure if a romance broke for me in Act 4. Yrilet's soulstone broke after I entered her meditation thing and a flag flipped to InRomance but also Romance failed? May be intended but seems wrong

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What kind of weapon should I be giving to my 30 BS/30 WS characters for when they can't do their non-weapon attacks?
Longlas, because it has a big +hit chance? I can't think of anything else.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Longlas is a good bet yeah. You get some good alternatives later though that hit hard, mostly solid projectile weapons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pwnstar posted:

It's really funny that they did the same thing as Wrath of the Righteous where they have a big open world act that lets you run around and do whatever you want followed by an awful cramped gimmick act in a bad guy city that cuts off all of your freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

What kind of weapon should I be giving to my 30 BS/30 WS characters for when they can't do their non-weapon attacks?
Longlas, because it has a big +hit chance? I can't think of anything else.

I just have them chuck 'nades. They autohit, no rolls no fuss. Slot 2 typically has a sword I religiously switch out of/back to just for the +10% chance to parry.

In other news, did y'all know chain weapons have an innate +25% to crit damage ? Because I didn't and it's stated absolutely nowhere except in the damage roll breakdown of the combat log.