Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sharkopath posted:

I dunno, I thought 3 was fine and was a cool look at a pretty underutilized part of the setting. It's not too long and the combat in it was fun. The Yrliet stuff in It too probably cements that relationship as the best one in the game. Nobody else really gets that kind of depth in them. Honestly wish there was more party interaction stuff of that nature, where somebody is very vulnerable and bearing their heart to you, everybody else is usually really guarded. I wanna know more about Abelard.

I thought that it was weird that everyone thought I should be upset with Yrliet - including her - and didn't get how she'd 'betrayed' us until long after I'd forgiven her when she sat me down and explained it so I could finally go "Oh that's not actually that bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Secretly hoping that a companion gets killed or turns out to be a secret serial killer or something, because there's too many cool companions and too little space in my party.

I don't think there are serial killers in 40K, everyone just is a killer :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lol I must have missed it, wtf did she do? I was confused at her whole guilt thing

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Dandywalken posted:

Lol I must have missed it, wtf did she do? I was confused at her whole guilt thing

She cut a deal with Marazai for information on her people after killing a traitor that was working in your palace and stealing his burner cell, then she didn't tell you that you were going to meet Marazai and not just some random source. She didn't expect to get betrayed and captured like that, which is kinda stupid of her but whatever, not the first time a homie led me into a trap based on bad intel and it wasn't the last either.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

She saw a piece of her craft world in your study, presumed you had something to do with its destruction ( Theodora was involved) and the Drukhari said they would reunite her with the survivors from the world if you were led into a trap.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

If you are befriending her, she eventually snoops around your cabin and realizes you have a fragment of her craftworld on her ship, because your predecessor had a hand and in its destruction, thinking you are complicit and too angry to ask questions, her heart falls into turmoil. LATER she notices Heinrixs informant sneaking away from the party and follows him, turns out he's the traitor feeding info to the drukhari and he kills him and seeks info from the dark eldar about her craftworld, which he promises to give if she sends you to a certain system, which she does, setting the whole of chapter 3 off. If she doesn't do it the informant does instead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ohhh interesting. Ty all!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

drat reading these Yrliet spoilers is really making me regret sacrificing her to a sentient dark hole on an optional planet for only 5 heresy points.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

evilmiera posted:

Yeah Act 3 is just terrible in general. It's safe to say legit nobody likes it.

No it isn't lol, Act 3 is great

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Act 3 Argenta spoiler I was legit more offended with Argenta's revelation in Act 3. She just casually tells you that, oh actually she murdered Theodora during a moment of crisis on the ship because idk she looked like she was up to some funny stuff, and then hides this from everyone. First thing I thought was "are you gonna put a bolt between my eyes too for keeping Idra around or using one too many Drukhari weapons?". But, no, she just drops that bombshell and moves on...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

The fact that in-lore there is a non-zero amount of inbreeding in Navigator families (especially considering that House Orsellio does not seem to maintain quarters on Terra) coupled with the fact that the "bug" was the Habsburg Jaw (which is most prominent in this photo of Charles II) tells me that this was less of a bug and more of an inside joke (in poor taste) among the dev team that made it into the final game. Regardless, removing it is definitely for the best.
I don't think so. Her head is oddly shaped to make the model work for the staff holding pose, you can see her face is just longer than most other companions even without the bug. I think they just didn't check how the weird head would look in the gun-holding pose.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Clerical Terrors posted:

Act 3 Argenta spoiler I was legit more offended with Argenta's revelation in Act 3. She just casually tells you that, oh actually she murdered Theodora during a moment of crisis on the ship because idk she looked like she was up to some funny stuff, and then hides this from everyone. First thing I thought was "are you gonna put a bolt between my eyes too for keeping Idra around or using one too many Drukhari weapons?". But, no, she just drops that bombshell and moves on...

Yeah that was really annoying with how casual it was, and seems so inconsequential for what was a huge event.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sharkopath posted:

I dunno, I thought 3 was fine and was a cool look at a pretty underutilized part of the setting. It's not too long and the combat in it was fun. The Yrliet stuff in It too probably cements that relationship as the best one in the game. Nobody else really gets that kind of depth in them. Honestly wish there was more party interaction stuff of that nature, where somebody is very vulnerable and bearing their heart to you, everybody else is usually really guarded. I wanna know more about Abelard.

Abelard has at least eleven grandkids last time he talked to his family, loves being Seneschal and trying to make your holdings better places to live, and will follow you naked into the Warp if you're an Iconoclast and don't have him torture people for funsies. He is by far the brightest point of light in the game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love how *ending spoilers* you have to harness the power of the oldest enemy with your own pet star-god to have the slightest chance of building an empire that isn't total poo poo. And even then, with the nearly limitless power of the C'tan on your side? The best you can do is block off your empire from the rest of the Imperium, otherwise they'd have smoked you. Not even like you are doing big heresies, just making life somewhat tolerable for folks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mulva posted:

I love how *ending spoilers* you have to harness the power of the oldest enemy with your own pet star-god to have the slightest chance of building an empire that isn't total poo poo. And even then, with the nearly limitless power of the C'tan on your side? The best you can do is block off your empire from the rest of the Imperium, otherwise they'd have smoked you. Not even like you are doing big heresies, just making life somewhat tolerable for folks.

Yeah, makes perfect sense and also makes sure that the Koronus Expanse doesn't become a big thing in regular 40k if you go that route. Which is a real shame because holy gently caress would it be neat to see as a faction.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
In act 1 in a turn I somehow got "Purge Soul" to cost 0 AP and I casted it until my dude exploded.

It didn't happen one damage at a time, after a few casts he went from full health to no health.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

Gonna use this as my portrait on my next character

The Ruinous Powers are helping me fund my ship

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Due to a bug near the end of chapter 3 I had to kill (a party member) Yrliet to access the elevator leading to the last fight. As soon as chapter 4 starts a companion quest immediately bugs out and fails to start or show up in the journal. Gonna set this down till a few patches come in. Fun so far though! The writing is great.

One note about assassin usefulness - they have an ability "aim for the opening" I think which allows them to do % max enemy wound damage which is great when bosses start approaching 1k hp.

edit:

I'm sort of tempted to start a heretic playthrough while I'm waiting.....

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 16, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm nearing the end of Act 2 and this game rocks. Best surprise treat of the year. Overcomplicated, somewhat buggy, and dense? Sure. But it's a fresh new setting for me that had a blast with it's narrative and choices.

The loving Foulstone colony choice can get hosed though.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
Doing the second reinstall in three days cause once again got cannot update successfully. Really feeling that I should have just gone for the steam key.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there no fast travel to the void ship. I have to run all the way from my dumb throne room in my own house :mad:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kosume Shezaki posted:

Doing the second reinstall in three days cause once again got cannot update successfully. Really feeling that I should have just gone for the steam key.

Oh is that why Cassia still looks like a freak for me?

e: verifying game integrity looks like it fixed it. maybe ive been playing all the last day or so without the patch... hmm rip

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 16, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Further Reading posted:

drat reading these Yrliet spoilers is really making me regret sacrificing her to a sentient dark hole on an optional planet for only 5 heresy points.

I think she has the most involved relationship questline, especially if you actually treat her with kindness and help her on her quest. She has tremendous survivors guilt about being on a selfish outcast path while her craftworld died, despite being rather soft-spoken is considered to be dangerously unhinged by her surviving eldar and only a liability emotionally. Is super impressed by your kindness and tries to reciprocate in kind, even attempting nicely with other party members, poorly, but she's super afraid of intimacy with a human and has trouble handling physical touch at all. Shell still gladly share a lot of eldar secrets with you and even soul bonds with you in an attempt to heal your own trauma. If after her betrayal you rescue her from the dark eldar trying to turn her into one of them, her heart breaks even more because she knows she should have trusted you the whole time and her impetuousness caused tremendous damage to you and your party. She's even willing to sacrifice her own organs to the flesh crafter if it means you can get some info about how to rescue them. If you also made the Janus choice to keep the Eldar in power she keeps your back when they insult you and if you continue to be respectful there, can make them shut up and try to play nicer with you too.

It's just a ton of depth and humanity for whats supposed to be the alien crew member, I really enjoy it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 16, 2023

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh is that why Cassia still looks like a freak for me?

e: verifying game integrity looks like it fixed it. maybe ive been playing all the last day or so without the patch... hmm rip

I have no idea. I couldn't even verify successfully. Getting a new PC since i had have issues so non-0 chance it's that but this is happening to more than a few people. Just shelving it until around new years for the new one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just did the "Drifting Voidship" and that sure is one nasty dungeon. Cool though.

You're definitely meant to do it later than when you find it naturally, but it's nothing Cassia couldn't handle by doing 4 Hold My Gaze every single turn.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FuzzySlippers posted:

There definitely feel like way too many feats tied to specific types of weapons without any way to know how many are actually in the game. I'd like to see a mod that fights the feat bloat by combining a lot of those into targeting broader types of weapons.

Pathfinder WOTR has mods that consolidate weapon feats, so this will probably get one eventually.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

There definitely feel like way too many feats tied to specific types of weapons without any way to know how many are actually in the game. I'd like to see a mod that fights the feat bloat by combining a lot of those into targeting broader types of weapons.

I think the sparser item selection compared to their other games isn't bad so you don't have to pick through different types of bolters with slighter different stats, but it might be a little too sparse.

edit: as much as I love complicated builds digging through this long rear end feat list for 6 characters does get a bit tedious with the increased number of levels compared to d20. Any pruning of the feat list would help.

This is a problem in the Pathfinder games too. In tabletop, you can work with your DM to ensure your character has access to the weird weapon you picked a specialization in, but in a CRPG, you're at the mercy of whatever the devs put in the loot tables. Honestly it's another thing I find strange that dev teams don't question when adapting a TTRPG system to video games.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I regret making a Voidborn Naval Officer. "Brace For Impact" is such a nothing ability. I am enjoying the officer playstyle, but Cassia's ability to control the battlefield with cool movement abilities is so much more enjoyable. Might restart.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Warmachine posted:

This is a problem in the Pathfinder games too. In tabletop, you can work with your DM to ensure your character has access to the weird weapon you picked a specialization in, but in a CRPG, you're at the mercy of whatever the devs put in the loot tables. Honestly it's another thing I find strange that dev teams don't question when adapting a TTRPG system to video games.
Yeah, while I know programming is rarely easy, it seems like you could do something like "does one of the player's characters have a proficiency with X type 'exotic' weapon? Increase the odds for X-type weapons in the random loot a moderate amount."

Anyways, been thinking about picking this up, but as usual for CRPGs these days (or maybe always) it sounds like it need a bit more time to patch if I want a smooth experience through the whole game.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is there no fast travel to the void ship. I have to run all the way from my dumb throne room in my own house :mad:

No which is especially annoying since their other two games did have fast travel to the world map.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The loot you get seems to be a little lopsided. I'm drowning and stuff that Heinrix can use for example But other dudes I'm struggling to find a single thing that really benefits them in act 4.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I think in this game every category of weapons is worth taking except force weapons ( only like 2 or 3 of them) and eldar. Dark eldar has a ton of weapons available, normal eldar is mostly just the shuriken rifle (which is neat, it's heavy bolter statline on a normal 2 hander, but that means it can't benefit from heavy weapon talents), and the fusion guns which dark eldar just have better versions of. Yrliets rifles if you want to use them hut don't want her.

The other weapon types have plenty of options available to them based on how you're feeling. It's not a perfect distribution but it means that laser, flamer, bolter, melta, heavy, deldar, power, chain, and solid are all worthwhile specs, and that's a lot.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 16, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

The loot you get seems to be a little lopsided. I'm drowning and stuff that Heinrix can use for example But other dudes I'm struggling to find a single thing that really benefits them in act 4.

The loot after act 3 feels almost random, in how it's sometimes useful sometimes not. Ended up with a massive inventory because I didn't have the energy to put it all in cargo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only use case I can think of for force weapon spec is for a sanctic psyker going all in on Sword of Faith

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader: The Ruinous Powers are helping me fund my ship

I'm also finally starting to really enjoy the ship combat, it's basically just like the tabletop.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Question for people who've done Act 3's Reunion quest. Do you only have to rescue the folks who got knocked out with you or do you have to rescue your whole retinue?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

Question for people who've done Act 3's Reunion quest. Do you only have to rescue the folks who got knocked out with you or do you have to rescue your whole retinue?

Just those with you at the time, Im pretty certain. At least it was 1:1 for me

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dandywalken posted:

Just those with you at the time, Im pretty certain. At least it was 1:1 for me

Oh nice. I was worried about a bug but I think I'm copacetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pattonesque posted:

Only companions in your party. You also get some different content depending on which other characters got captured.