Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Pretty sure it was Vic's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"So uh, if I wanted one of your men to take their shirt off, is that a conversation I should have, or just bring it up to you...?"

Also laughed really hard at the station losing power thanks to their lovely HGTV renovations.

And probably the most tense chiropractor scene I've ever seen.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yall think Abshir is dead ?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbg8lZ5hGDk

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i think it took till this episode to realize that the opening credits are over camera footage. thats a great touch

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Holy poo poo. This is good.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Up until now I thought the show was called 'Flipanthropy' and not the much worse sounding 'Fliplanthropy'.

The chiropractor scene is a good example of why the music rules. There's been so much ominous sounding music while nothing in particular happens, so I was half-expecting the chiropractor scene to just be very uncomfortable to watch. But that crack was loving scary. Also, there's that sting when Dougie ropes Whitney into finally doing it his way.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the comments on this are amazing. everyone is posting completely in-character

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Nathan is so good at making fake tv stuff. The Hunk, that fake reality show he made for the security guard obsessed with large boobs, the burn victim show, and now this clip. I love how serious he can play his jokes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So what's the deal with a lot of the actors? Really seems like they are just finding regular people and riffing off them a lot of the time. Seems like much of the show is only partially scripted.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They cast locally. Like the news lady is an actual news lady.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Aye Doc posted:

That wasn't my read, but I do suspect that it'll result in a partial paralysis issue or something like that. All of Whitney and Asher's naively well-meaning actions tend to have unexpected negative consequences for the people they're trying to help, so why would this be any different?

veni veni veni posted:

So what's the deal with a lot of the actors? Really seems like they are just finding regular people and riffing off them a lot of the time. Seems like much of the show is only partially scripted.
I noticed in the credits that a couple of the firefighters (specifically Zach and Martinez, possibly others) were using their real names on the show, so I get the impression that they were a real fire crew. Hard to say if they knew what kind of show they were actually on.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
I truly love this show. The chiropractor and hand washing scenes filled me with more dread and anxiety than anything else I have seen recently. I had to go back and watch The Road afterwards because I needed something a little more light hearted.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

gurragadon posted:

Nathan is so good at making fake tv stuff. The Hunk, that fake reality show he made for the security guard obsessed with large boobs, the burn victim show, and now this clip. I love how serious he can play his jokes.

Dry humor is an art.

Moment of recognition for Andre Braugher.......who gave a masterclass on deadpan throughout Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

loving skinny jeans

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god, Asher pulling the nails out of his hand :stonk:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The notification popping up for $300 jeans lolol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

Probably not. Seems overdramatic for the show thus far. I think it was mainly to show he had a real bad loving day because Whitney decided she needed to foist her help onto him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Something still hasn't gripped me with this show. A lot of the time it feels like it's just jumping around and continuing to show us how lovely everyone on this show is but not much actually has happened. Nobody or nothing to root for. Strange.

I'm going to watch until the end but I'm beginning to lose interest and still have no idea why Emma Stone did the show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think much of the show is finding horror in the mundane, which probably isn't going to land for everyone but I like it. Like the post above about Abshir. He just didn't like going to the chiropractor, but it was framed in such a horrific way that a poster thought he was dead.

I almost look at it as a horror movie where the monsters are the main characters, and the only horrific thing about them is that they suck.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The scene at the Chiro was so uncomfortable. It felt like a sexual assault the way Abshir's protestations were completely ignored to the point he seemingly disassociated at the end. It's very impressive how they've taken mundane encounters that could go very horrible, ratcheted up the tension, and resolved them in very realistic ways rather than the cinematic horror that could have been. For example, off the top of my head, Dougie could have driven drunk and had another accident but instead pulled over and walked, the robbery could have ended with someone being shot, the Chiro scene could have ended with Abshir dead. That, combined with the fact that, despite their best intentions, Whitney's impact seems to be universally negative, make for a compelling piece of art.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol a 33% subsidy to keep her rent at its old rate means that her rent increased 50%

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PostNouveau posted:

lol a 33% subsidy to keep her rent at its old rate means that her rent increased 50%

For 18 months no less haha

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Leon Sumbitches posted:

The scene at the Chiro was so uncomfortable. It felt like a sexual assault the way Abshir's protestations were completely ignored to the point he seemingly disassociated at the end. It's very impressive how they've taken mundane encounters that could go very horrible, ratcheted up the tension, and resolved them in very realistic ways rather than the cinematic horror that could have been. For example, off the top of my head, Dougie could have driven drunk and had another accident but instead pulled over and walked, the robbery could have ended with someone being shot, the Chiro scene could have ended with Abshir dead. That, combined with the fact that, despite their best intentions, Whitney's impact seems to be universally negative, make for a compelling piece of art.

Totally. Although I think they have the best intentions in the shallowest possible ways, that almost solely revolve around their own image. I do think they have some level of actual good intentions, but it's all misguided and the only good they could have ever done was just not showing up in the first place.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I can appreciate this, and I think the show is generally well-executed and original, but it still feels like a bunch of these kinds of scenes without a unifying thing grabbing me to stay really invested. It doesn't help that Whitney and Asher are unlikeable not in the "unlikeable but interesting" or "unlikeable because they're flawed and you feel sympathetic towards hoping for them to change" way, but in the "these people are uninteresting and don't have any redeeming qualities, why do I care what happens to them every week" way. Different strokes, I'd say.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

fawning deference posted:

I can appreciate this, and I think the show is generally well-executed and original, but it still feels like a bunch of these kinds of scenes without a unifying thing grabbing me to stay really invested. It doesn't help that Whitney and Asher are unlikeable not in the "unlikeable but interesting" or "unlikeable because they're flawed and you feel sympathetic towards hoping for them to change" way, but in the "these people are uninteresting and don't have any redeeming qualities, why do I care what happens to them every week" way. Different strokes, I'd say.

Oh I totally agree they're unlikable, uninteresting, and beyond redemption within the framework of the show. How boring they are was even a major plot point this week! I view it as an indictment on the banality of white saviors embedded into our cultural consciousness to the point we don't even see them as such. Different strokes is totally fine, hope the show is able to offer you what you're looking for.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Oh I totally agree they're unlikable, uninteresting, and beyond redemption within the framework of the show. How boring they are was even a major plot point this week! I view it as an indictment on the banality of white saviors embedded into our cultural consciousness to the point we don't even see them as such. Different strokes is totally fine, hope the show is able to offer you what you're looking for.

I think it will probably deliver on the ending, and I'm hoping the same thing.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I view it as an indictment on the banality of white saviors embedded into our cultural consciousness to the point we don't even see them as such.

The white savior Whitney gets to do her vanity project to boost her ego. She could volunteer her time at a soup kitchen or a other less "glamorous" pursuits to help the community, but her social position allows her to rope a bunch of people into her project where everyone else has to deal with the externalities of her mostly pointless project. No one seems to like Whitney much, but everyone had to bite their tongue and manage her feelings.

She doesn't even care about the money, which kinda lets her play the terrorist against people with money concerns. If she's unhappy, she can blow the whole thing up and be mostly fine, but someone living paycheck to paycheck has to tow the line.

Some of this reminds me of politicians who glom onto social causes, get themselves a bunch of press, and then move on without doing anything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wish this show was slightly better constructed e.g. this slow moving chiropractor subplot didn't need to be dolled out in single scene chunks over several episodes. It could all have been in the same one. That scene, this episode, was loving squirm inducing though, and also uhh straight up hosed up how the guy kept going despite Abshir telling him to loving stop, repeatedly. And then the dude just gives up and lets it happen. Poor loving guy. I watched it last night and still find it kind of upsetting to think about.

I'm finding the show funny and effective though, and I love all the random poo poo they seem to throw in because they just happened to see it that day and want to show it off, like the mechanical baby catcher, or the local colas, or that one firefighter with the rad style. It's a bit loosey goosey as a result, but, you know, I'm here for that.

Dougie's fairly obviously loving with Asher and trying to drive a wedge between him and Whitney (because, yeah, he's got a thing for her and she's got a thing for him). Though he's probably correct about their show being boring on top of it all.

Gotta give the guy kudos for his truly awful sense of style on display this ep.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I kinda like how the plotlines are split up, I'm so relieved whenever they move to a different setting and yet I'm simultaneously filled with dread when i realize it's resuming something unresolved from before

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Though he's probably correct about their show being boring on top of it all.

Oh he unquestionably correct. It's loving dead air the way Whitney wanted it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I'm not sure if Whitney actually has a thing for Dougie, or if she's just trying to one up the artist that he's been flirting with.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm not sure if Whitney actually has a thing for Dougie, or if she's just trying to one up the artist that he's been flirting with.

I think it's this, she's obsessed with trying to connect with Cara and was jealous that Dougie seemed to do so effortlessly. Whitney is obsessed with how other people perceive her and if she is close with Dougie, she might seem cool to Cara!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I guess that could be it. She definitely has more chemistry with Dougie than with Asher though, or is at least more comfortable around him and seems to spark off him a little more honestly as a result.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Nathan and Safdie said (presumably jokingly) that they were comfortable offering a million dollars to anyone who could guess the ending. Any takers?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, Whitney’s jealous of people who can connect to others (the regular Española residents, that is) easily. Like when she had to get her assistant to tell Fernando not to bring his gun and she has a nice normal conversation with him, which Whitney is unable to do. Or when she greets her neighbors on a walk and is blatantly ignored by everyone. Trying to connect with Cara over a show she thought was disgusting when she saw it shows how desperate she is to be liked. I guess she got that one camera guy to successfully joke around with her, but that’s about it for normal human interactions for her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought she was trying to bond with Cara over trashing the show, and maybe torpedoing Dougie and Cara'a relationship a bit. I dunno if she was compromising her opinion on the thing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Argue posted:

Nathan and Safdie said (presumably jokingly) that they were comfortable offering a million dollars to anyone who could guess the ending. Any takers?

I have started to feel like asher is going to end up murdering dougie, maybe whitney along with him the way things are going

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, Whitney’s jealous of people who can connect to others (the regular Española residents, that is) easily. Like when she had to get her assistant to tell Fernando not to bring his gun and she has a nice normal conversation with him, which Whitney is unable to do. Or when she greets her neighbors on a walk and is blatantly ignored by everyone. Trying to connect with Cara over a show she thought was disgusting when she saw it shows how desperate she is to be liked. I guess she got that one camera guy to successfully joke around with her, but that’s about it for normal human interactions for her.

It's funny, because for all his awkwardness even Asher seems to get on easier with random people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One of the most funny and unexpected lines was when Whitney was prodding Dougie about Cara and his response was that she was loving ugly. Totally caught me off guard lol.