Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I got lucky and was given CM for a couple games, and she absolutely slaps at low all ranks.

Couple Mangos and Blood Grenades and you can get so many kills in lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Geight posted:

I agree except for the unban part

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

IDK, but if you want I'm probably going to queue up in one half hour for a game during my lunch break?

I'm down to just needing two more to win. I got lucky and was given CM for a couple games, and she absolutely slaps at low ranks.

Ya can add me this weekend 'spiiiking'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I actually tried the whole shard and platemail thing on Lion since we were winning and I had philosopher's stone. I bet it was super annoying for the enemy carry to try jumping me during teamfights and hitting like a limp noodle because after he got through Aeon Disk I still had like 20-30 armor.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I haven't really played in years, but I'm curious as to how getting banned for smurfing works in case I ever decide to play again.

I had two accounts I played on, a main account with like 3800 mmr (last time I played was on 6.83 I think, there were no tiers back then) and an account where I only played Furion that had like 4400 somewhat mmr. Would that be illegal in today's Dota 2 and get one or both of the accounts banned?

Kinda sucks, if so. The purpose of the alt account was to have a 1-hero account. If you can't do that anymore, that's a bit lame.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i have 2 accounts, one for only solo and only in offlane and one where i play with friends and just do whatever to fit in, never been an issue but the mmr gap between the 2 is only about 800

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
3800 to 4400 is a meaningless difference, your accounts will be fine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do have a spare account, not for dunking on newbs but so when a friend would start playing they wouldn't get paired up against people with thousands of games like I've got lol. Couldn't guess the last time I logged into it, well over 5 years I'd guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
While Valve may talk about punishing 'smurfing' specifically, I think having multiple Dota accounts at all is still technically against the ToS.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's a special hell to queue with your newb Bros without a second account tbh

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i have 2 accounts, one for only solo and only in offlane and one where i play with friends and just do whatever to fit in, never been an issue but the mmr gap between the 2 is only about 800

Geight posted:

3800 to 4400 is a meaningless difference, your accounts will be fine.

Valve have explicitly said that having multiple accounts = ban, it doesn't matter what the MMR difference is. I'd advise giving one of those accounts up

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've had bad luck buying it in the past so I overlooked this in the patch notes but apparently Solar Crest provides a 400 HP barrier now in addition to what it did before. That seems crazy for a 2700g item.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Thinking of coming back to play after a period of absence. Let's see how it goes

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i need to get deprogrammed and re-learn how to play the game i find myself flailing around doing nothing mid/late game if we're not actually fighting the enemy team. is BSJ any good for videos on this?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Classic technique to just fiddle faddle away minutes 15-30 while their carry catches up in the woods. Even better if you realize it's happening but can't get anyone onboard to do anything about it

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

So who here still plays? Always looking to groups to join, or that 4th or 5th member to fill our group.

Also, please post your fond memories of TCJimbo

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Zeruel posted:

i need to get deprogrammed and re-learn how to play the game i find myself flailing around doing nothing mid/late game if we're not actually fighting the enemy team. is BSJ any good for videos on this?

I only play suppport, but if no one on either team is doing anything useful, I just shove lanes and threaten towers. Even if the enemy team finds and kills you you're getting some gold and xp from the lane creeps and making the enemy move around. Put some wards down on the enemy side while you're there. Beats spending the mid game babysitting a carry who just got bfury and pings we need wards so they can hit the same 2 camps for the next 30 min

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Chopstix posted:

So who here still plays? Always looking to groups to join, or that 4th or 5th member to fill our group.

I played against tcjimbo last night in Turbo. My team was salty about all abaddon was doing that game.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Plank Walker posted:

Beats spending the mid game babysitting a carry who just got bfury and pings we need wards so they can hit the same 2 camps for the next 30 min

Actually you will find that immediately after wiping the enemy team is the most chill time to run back into the friendly jungle and hit small camps

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Zeruel posted:

Been climbing nicely in ranked with this philosophy.

Support -
1. Can I put vision where we need it without dying. Don't forget smoke of deceit to ward if you have 2/3 in the bank no one is using. Vision naturally guides even a bad team towards smart play. If you ward defensively you'll stagnate the game instead for cores to farm, which can be good if you are sure your team scales better.

2. Where can I push a lane without dying/ stack a camp/ watch for a tower defense tp. In that order of priority. Try not to waste tps as a support just going back to a lane.

3. If bored of these follow the offline and ping smoke of deceit.

Priorities change up for other roles, I'm not good enough at them to write any useful midgame points.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
They put a lot of fun stuff in this patch, even the games where I'm losing I'm having a lot of fun trying new builds and strategies.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chopstix posted:

I play some, I'm pretty new but I"ll play 4 or 5 or what you need.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Everyone's been raving about Solar Crest (which is admittely ridiculously OP atm), but I'm here to preach a lesser known gospel. Peeps be sleeping on how good Eternal Shroud is now. This item is downright unreasonable in some matchups.

Lets look at stats:
  • 25% MR scaling up to 43%~ at max stacks (it's multiplicative). The 300 damage you need to take to get a shroud stack is calculated before reductions which makes it very good. At max stacks it's by far the best MR item by a long shot outside the new meme T5 neutral.
  • 14 str and 300 hp. With these, Eternal Shroud is a 608 hp item, which is absolutely unbeatable for raw HP at its price tier. This is a comparable HP increase to what big ticket items like Octarine Core and Heart of Tarrasque give.
  • Mana restore on enemy spell damage taken... well it's there. It can be real good on certain heroes like Leshrac and Dusa (actually kinda broken on Dusa, makes you near immune to spells lmbo), but it's a minor bonus in most cases.

In summary: fat stack of HP combined with huge MR is a tremendous eHP increase against magic damage. You should definitely get this on tanky Strength cores. Also for supports, think of it as a way better Aeon Disk if the burst is coming from spells. Even the frailest Pugnas and Enchantresses of the world can absorb so many spells with this thing.

Spiking posted:

3. If bored of these follow the offline and ping smoke of deceit.

Pretty much this is support life midgame. Follow either your offlaner or midlaner around and try to get kills or push a tower with them. If at your mmr all 3 cores are perma farming jungle, start playing heroes who can solo push and threaten towers decently (mostly 4s like NP, Shadow Shaman, Pugna, etc). Try to force the enemy team to react to you. Careful not to feed too much tho, keep wards up and an eye on the minimap.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 18, 2023

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Ojetor posted:

Everyone's been raving about Solar Crest (which is admittely ridiculously OP atm), but I'm here to preach a lesser known gospel. Peeps be sleeping on how good Eternal Shroud is now. This item is downright unreasonable in some matchups.

Check out the first minute of this

https://youtu.be/hiOfZizulZU?si=oVfoG12bFAEnjjMq

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's going to take me so long to break out of the mentality of, "Arcane boots disassemble into Aether Lens"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

It's going to take me so long to break out of the mentality of, "Arcane boots disassemble into Aether Lens"

that's an interesting change. I figured that they'd try to make more boots disassemble, since that's a really helpful QoL for a support to transition from early to mid.

What are the other big disassemble plays? Just radience in to nulifier/butterfly right? I can't think of any other big ones.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That was the only one I often took advantage of.

I think "Vanguard into... Something..." was a popular one for a while, but I'm clearly blanking on the specifics.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmfao

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

that's an interesting change. I figured that they'd try to make more boots disassemble, since that's a really helpful QoL for a support to transition from early to mid.

What are the other big disassemble plays? Just radience in to nulifier/butterfly right? I can't think of any other big ones.
I think disassembling MoM used to be a thing.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Incoherence posted:

I think disassembling MoM used to be a thing.

MoM into Satanic + Butterfly used to be a thing for Agi carries yeah. With Broadsword now I guess you can go Shadowblade instead? Not nearly as good.

The various Sange/Yasha/Kaya combinations can be disassembled into Halberd, Manta and... Meteor Hammer now (lol).

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

That was the only one I often took advantage of.

I think "Vanguard into... Something..." was a popular one for a while, but I'm clearly blanking on the specifics.

Vanguard into heart and then you'd have a ring of health to make like lotus or something else with

I never liked dissembling mana boots, used to do it for euls but euls kinda sucks and having burst mana regen is still nice all game long

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I used to disassemble Mana Boots into Boots of Travel. Now, I'll probably skip the former if I'm playing a hero that likes BoTs.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I secretly love getting 2 sets of boots (mana and boots of bearing)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

Vanguard into heart and then you'd have a ring of health to make like lotus or something else with

I never liked dissembling mana boots, used to do it for euls but euls kinda sucks and having burst mana regen is still nice all game long

Oh yea, I'd usually just re-build Arcane Boots, but disassembling to get the Aether Lens sooner than waiting for another 800g was usually worthwhile.

Or sometimes yea turn them into Travels when you can.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

after coming back to the game I realized I'd forgotten how to fortify towers. also I accidentally used the outpost gate and ran away from a teamfight

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
So one of my item hotkeys (\) has completely stopped working for some reason ever since I played a game on my friends pc (same keyboard). The weird thing is it will work when and only when I press shift+\, but not just the button on its own. Any idea how to fix it?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
check you didn't accidentally switch your keyboard's language in windows

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

check you didn't accidentally switch your keyboard's language in windows

My old pc was set as English (US) and I set this new one up as English (UK), but switching it back to US doesn't seem to fix the issue

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

On a semi-related note, anyone having any issues using voice chat in game lately? Steam seems to detect my mic just fine, no issues on Discord or MS Teams but in game no one can hear me. Unsure what exactly my behavior score is, but it's not bad I shouldn't be like muted or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
The old popular vanguard disassembly was to build a fast octarine on heroes like bat and doom, because it used to take a ring of health instead of two void stones.

Yet to win a game this patch. Had an offlane wk throw from minute one because I was pos 5 abaddon, he was so toxic the whole team must of reported him because mid match we all got the notification that he'd been muted for the remainder of the match lol.

2nd game our offlane legion had a tantrum, jungled for 20 minutes with no duel damage, then when he decided to participate, the entire enemy team had built linkens. We somehow almost won that game without him still.

I hope valves still giving out coal.