Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

AnonSpore posted:

Okay, this is a bit of an unusual request, but I've started up some indoor herbs but I'm afraid that my cat will eat them all while I'm at work once they start to sprout and grow. Does anyone know of a setup that'll keep cats out but not also be annoying to get around when I'm cooking?

You might see if the cat thread in pet island has any suggestions, but short of making it inconvenient for everyone I can't think of anything. When our cat was spry the only way to keep her from plants was to suspend them from the ceiling with nothing around them for a several feet, or just grow them outside. I guess you could probably make a little cage (including a top panel) with a gate, if you've got room at your growing space. Ours goes nuts for basil (and all mint family plants, since catnip is in there too) so it was nearly impossible to grow inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A foil sheet. 3/4 cats I've had won't go near it after touching it once and hearing the awful sound / realizing it's not solid ground.

Just tape one corner down so your AC doesn't blow it off the counter.

We perviously used an ultrasonic motion alarm called Cat Scram. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and kept forgetting to disarm it when I entered the kitchen. It wasn't fair to our kitties for me to trip the screech only they can hear a couple times per week, they would run full speed away even if they were one room over :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BrianBoitano posted:

A foil sheet. 3/4 cats I've had won't go near it after touching it once and hearing the awful sound / realizing it's not solid ground.

Just tape one corner down so your AC doesn't blow it off the counter.

We perviously used an ultrasonic motion alarm called Cat Scram. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and kept forgetting to disarm it when I entered the kitchen. It wasn't fair to our kitties for me to trip the screech only they can hear a couple times per week, they would run full speed away even if they were one room over :(

Seconding this.

They hate foil. And hopefully your cats will be like all the ones we have had and they don't really care to nibble at the plants more than once. Maybe we have just been lucky but thankfully it's not been a problem.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’ve never washed a can opener in my life. How are you using it that you get it messy?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve never washed a can opener in my life. How are you using it that you get it messy?
The sharp part surely gets some food on it as it punctures the can. Kinda gross that you’ve never washed it.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

hypnophant posted:

I just get mineral oil from the pharmacy. You can buy food grade mineral oil for more money from Amazon, but I don’t know why that would be safer than the pharmaceutical grade, which is safe to swallow, with a dose of a tablespoon.

Pro tip: that "dose" is for use as a laxative - so while safe, don't swallow that much unless you want to poo poo yourself :v:.

I use the same thing, whatever store brand is convenient. There's another option where you can heat some of the oil over a double boiler and melt paraffin wax into it (I'm too lazy to look up the ratios). I have a pint jar of that I use when I'm feeling extra fancy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Vegetable posted:

The sharp part surely gets some food on it as it punctures the can. Kinda gross that you’ve never washed it.

I can see with my own eyes that it almost never does. If it did, it would be totally inconsequential to wipe and dry it with a paper towel, definitely nothing to remember much less say it has to go through so much washing that causes it to deteriorate or something. Then again I’ve never had to lubricate one either.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I can see with my own eyes that it almost never does. If it did, it would be totally inconsequential to wipe and dry it with a paper towel, definitely nothing to remember much less say it has to go through so much washing that causes it to deteriorate or something. Then again I’ve never had to lubricate one either.

SMDH if you’re not sending your can opener through an Autoclave after every use.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

SMDH if you’re not sending your can opener through an Autoclave after every use.

I bin mine and buy new ones each time, safer that way.

Also anyone got a recommendation for a circulation sous vide. I have a full machine one but it's huge and showing its age so I was thinking of replacing it with a circulation one.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

JoshGuitar posted:

Pro tip: that "dose" is for use as a laxative - so while safe, don't swallow that much unless you want to poo poo yourself :v:.

I was pretty sure Anne Whateley could figure that part out, but was pointing out that if you can ingest a tablespoon safely, the microscopic amounts that leech into your food from your wooden spoon aren't going to do anything harmful.

anyone tried carnauba wax as a finish for wood cooking utensils? i found a home depot article that says it's food safe - seems like a more durable alternative to beeswax for stuff you would like to stay shiny and water resistant

Aramoro posted:

Also anyone got a recommendation for a circulation sous vide. I have a full machine one but it's huge and showing its age so I was thinking of replacing it with a circulation one.

I have the cheapest anova on amazon, which works great for me. I've also seen recommendations for the joule but you need the app to control it which i don't care for. the anova has controls on the device.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Out of curiosity I looked at my can opener to see how filthy it is.

I have the OXO one with the little bird beak for taking the lid off daintily and the only detritus on the opener appears to be on the guide wheel but not the tooth wheel at all.

I wiped it off with a q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol. Seemed to just be general grime of unknown provenance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get a sous vide that is water proof. I got the old kickstarter Anovas and it’s annoying that I have to be careful not to get any of their holes wet

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I bin mine and buy new ones each time, safer that way.

I’ve used Anovas and Sansaires at work before and they were both fine, but the Joule that I have at home is my favorite by far.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Get a sous vide that is water proof. I got the old kickstarter Anovas and it’s annoying that I have to be careful not to get any of their holes wet

I burned through two of those before getting a Joule. The first one was my fault. I was pre-grill cooking a shitload of unbagged brats for a party and was using beer as the circulation liquid. It was out of warranty but the guy I talked to was a gearhead cook and thought it was a worthy enough death for the thing that he replaced it anyway. The second one just had the impeller die after a year or two.

The Joule has a much better circulation method and clamping system. I’m pretty happy with it despite the requisit IoT operation. The app is really nice and it connects perfectly every time but I still hate not having a manual option.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will say Anova customer service was great too. When mine died out of warranty they replaced it anyways just because I kickstarted it

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Re: cats, I have "owned" two cats who gave zero shits about foil (a not insignificant portion of the total number of cats I have served had)

What did work was a product called Ssscat, basically an air duster with a motion sensor on top. It's pricey but more effective and less annoying than a screeching alarm.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Discussion Quorum posted:

Re: cats, I have "owned" two cats who gave zero shits about foil (a not insignificant portion of the total number of cats I have served had)

What did work was a product called Ssscat, basically an air duster with a motion sensor on top. It's pricey but more effective and less annoying than a screeching alarm.

yeah the scat-can worked for me too. There are also some zap mats which sound cruel but with my cat I only had to leave it on for a week and then just laid it out turned off after that and it worked just as well.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I don't know how, but at my restaurant we've been through like four Anova units over the past couple years. They kept shutting off randomly, and the most recent one had its heat element crap out. I got us All-Clad's stainless steel circulator which features a knob, buttons and no Bluetooth or wi-fi and it kicks rear end. Very easy to use. I've also noticed that it pauses the timer when the temperature dips below the target temp, which is tight.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Thinking of getting a really good rice cooker and was looking at some of the induction ones because they seem to be the best. Should I do that or get an instant pot or something similar? Note that cooking rice, having it ready and sitting staying warm is the primary function I'm after rather than cooking other things so much but I'm sure people with instant pots could convince me as I know people do love them. Size/compactness is also important. I'm in the UK so induction zojirushi's are not available otherwise I'd just get that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fists Up posted:

Thinking of getting a really good rice cooker and was looking at some of the induction ones because they seem to be the best. Should I do that or get an instant pot or something similar? Note that cooking rice, having it ready and sitting staying warm is the primary function I'm after rather than cooking other things so much but I'm sure people with instant pots could convince me as I know people do love them. Size/compactness is also important. I'm in the UK so induction zojirushi's are not available otherwise I'd just get that.

Don’t get an Instant Pot if rice is your primary use. Get a Zojirushi.

I’m in a very small kitchen now, so dropped my old Zoji for an Instant Pot because I really wanted a pressure cooker, and the internet seemed to mostly agree that the IP could make good rice too.

It does not. I’ve tried every tip/trick/guide on IP rice that I could find, and the best I’ve made was just kinda okay-ish, and it won’t even stay on Warm for more than like 4 hours.

I personally prefer having the IP because I use it a TON, I am currently making all rice on the stove. It’s almost as good as the Zoji in terms of quality, but obviously a huge step down in convenience. The Zoji is just incredible at what it does, which is make perfect rice every time, and keep it ready to eat for days. If that is what you want, get a Zoji.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your size restriction comment re: induction Zoji. The Zoji that I had was not induction, and it was still fantastic.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Don’t get an Instant Pot if rice is your primary use. Get a Zojirushi.

I’m in a very small kitchen now, so dropped my old Zoji for an Instant Pot because I really wanted a pressure cooker, and the internet seemed to mostly agree that the IP could make good rice too.

It does not. I’ve tried every tip/trick/guide on IP rice that I could find, and the best I’ve made was just kinda okay-ish, and it won’t even stay on Warm for more than like 4 hours.

I personally prefer having the IP because I use it a TON, I am currently making all rice on the stove. It’s almost as good as the Zoji in terms of quality, but obviously a huge step down in convenience. The Zoji is just incredible at what it does, which is make perfect rice every time, and keep it ready to eat for days. If that is what you want, get a Zoji.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your size restriction comment re: induction Zoji. The Zoji that I had was not induction, and it was still fantastic.

Thanks. This is the kind of info I'm after. I think I'll stick to a rice cooker and look into my options for the UK because I don't really use a slow cooker or pressure cooker much. I just read the reviews and whilst the non induction ones seem to do a great job the consensus is that induction ones make the best rice texture and flavour wise.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Thanks. This is the kind of info I'm after. I think I'll stick to a rice cooker and look into my options for the UK because I don't really use a slow cooker or pressure cooker much. I just read the reviews and whilst the non induction ones seem to do a great job the consensus is that induction ones make the best rice texture and flavour wise.

Cuckoo rice cookers seem fairly comparable to Zojirushi and are more widely available in Europe. I've been happy with mine. They have a bewildering array of models, at least some of which are induction.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have one of the smaller 3 cup max versions of the zojis and it slaps, barely takes any space up either if I'm honest. Fits in a kitchen drawer.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Fists Up posted:

The IP makes decent rice but I don’t think the keep warm is great, I’ve had some stickier rice after leaving it a while. Also it’s a bit hard to predict timings when you’re waiting for the pressure to drop if you are doing slow release.

I’m UK based and when I was looking I came across these:

https://yum-asia.com/uk/product-category/rice-cookers/1-4-cup-capacity/

The Tsuki and Panda look like they will do everything you want.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VelociBacon posted:

I have one of the smaller 3 cup max versions of the zojis and it slaps, barely takes any space up either if I'm honest. Fits in a kitchen drawer.

I should get one of these. Anything larger seems like a waste since I live alone, but I'd need to figure out counter space first since I have so little.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the suggestions all. My cat historically has not cared much about aluminum foil but I'll give it one more shot before moving on to the spray deterrent. Worst case scenario I guess I could make a hole in a big cambro and turn it upside down.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, a dedicated rice cooker will make better rice than an instant pot, which also has the problem of how the gently caress do you make rice to go with the curry you're making in the instant pot

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just want to add to the chorus that in my opinion an IP doesn't make the best rice. It's what we use and I'd love to get a rice cooker, I just can't justify having both. For the IP we turn off the keep warm function and remove the rice immediately. Either to eat or to put out on the counter on foil/paper to cool down and then store. I haven't ever used a rice cooker, but from the sound of it they handle it all much better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, a dedicated rice cooker will make better rice than an instant pot, which also has the problem of how the gently caress do you make rice to go with the curry you're making in the instant pot
InstantPot cookbooks extol steaming the rice above whatever you're eating with it, but I have a rice cooker so have never cared to try. I'm skeptical.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Just want to add to the chorus that in my opinion an IP doesn't make the best rice. It's what we use and I'd love to get a rice cooker, I just can't justify having both. For the IP we turn off the keep warm function and remove the rice immediately. Either to eat or to put out on the counter on foil/paper to cool down and then store. I haven't ever used a rice cooker, but from the sound of it they handle it all much better.

Okay hear me out. The rice function sucks on IP

Instead of using the rice function, do manual high pressure cook for 10 mins

After it’s done cooking, let it sit for at least 10 minutes. It’s still cooking during this time.

Then take the rice out

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

After it’s done cooking, let it sit for at least 10 minutes. It’s still cooking during this time.

Then take the rice out

Listen, I’ll trust you and try it, but most white rice is 13 minutes on the stove once boiled/turned to low. I cannot even imagine that 10 minutes at high pressure won’t result in insanely overcooked rice.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Yeah I do 3 minutes, turn off keep warm and let the pressure slow release.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’ll try that

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've had the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup for a while and it is absolutely amazing and for 2 cups usually says 60 min but then advances the time at the end so it's usually done in 45.

I still do steel cut oats/brown rice in the InstaPot although I should give the Zoji a shot.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

IP white rice sucks, but it ain’t too bad at making brown rice (and is a pretty good effort/timesaver); 15 mins on high, then let release steam naturally. Nevertheless, I would imagine a dedicated rice cooker would nonetheless be better. IP is a jack of all trades (master of none, but better than a master of one).

Also, there was a crazy great deal on Vitamix 510 last night; $149 new from woot, fulfilled by Amazon. Any particularly good recipes people would recommend for a blender noob?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Then take the rice out

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment, but there's no way. I do Jasmine for 4 minutes and 10 minute release and Basmati for 5 minutes and 10 minute release. 10 and 10 has to be mush.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even if it somehow worked doing 10 minutes in the pressure cooker doesn't make sense to me because the fast mode on my normal rice cooker takes like 25 minutes and the only way I"m going to use the pressure cooker for an inferior result is if I'm in such a hurry that I want it faster and once you include the time to heat up and depressurize, 10 minutes in the pressure cooker wouldn't be any faster

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
Maybe I'm not discerning enough but I've owned both a Zojirushi NS-TSC105 and an Instant Pot (unsure on model but was given it in 2015 or 2016) and I'd recommend either for making rice.

The Zoji was better at keeping it warm and still tasty but the IP does a good enough job. It requires a little bit more planning and figuring out the right amount of water for the rice you are cooking.

I was a little bummed to lose the Zoji in a break-up because I enjoyed playing with the congee setting and really enjoyed the device overall but if someone only could have one, I'd recommend the Instant Pot.

I haven't replaced the Zoji because the IP does a good enough job and space is limited where I don't want a second large device sitting around.

If you are only going to do rice and want to be able to just leave it out for a long time, then the Zoji would be better.

But if you want to be able to do more, such as making delicious low effort soups, IP all the way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay it occurred to me that I make short grain rice and I cook it longer because the rice mode on IP made short grain feel undercooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The IP makes decent rice but I don’t think the keep warm is great, I’ve had some stickier rice after leaving it a while. Also it’s a bit hard to predict timings when you’re waiting for the pressure to drop if you are doing slow release.

I’m UK based and when I was looking I came across these:

https://yum-asia.com/uk/product-category/rice-cookers/1-4-cup-capacity/

The Tsuki and Panda look like they will do everything you want.

I have the Panda one and it's great.