Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oz came out just before The Sopranos, which many consider the advent of Prestige TV.

Tangentially related, but in meme form:

The middle bit of that is even worse, it doesn't even matter if people watch your stuff unless you get the right demographic. Lockwood and Co was a global top ten show for three weeks after launch, was the fourth most watched show all year in the UK after Luther, Back Mirror and the MH370 documentary and it STILL didn't renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fil5000 posted:

The middle bit of that is even worse, it doesn't even matter if people watch your stuff unless you get the right demographic. Lockwood and Co was a global top ten show for three weeks after launch, was the fourth most watched show all year in the UK after Luther, Back Mirror and the MH370 documentary and it STILL didn't renewed.

I'm really annoyed at that. That was a cool show in a really interesting world that, from what I've heard (only from a couple of people but still) was better than the books it was based on.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It's all because Joe didn't put Adam Buxton in a cameo like he normally does (author of the books retweeted me when I said that, lol)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Morpheus posted:

I'm really annoyed at that. That was a cool show in a really interesting world that, from what I've heard (only from a couple of people but still) was better than the books it was based on.

Same, I liked that the technology development stopped in the early 80s (down to the cars on the street being old models) with the exception of ghost hunting poo poo that was bang up to date. Plus some great performances out of the central cast. And I'm always a fan of Joe Cornish getting to do stuff.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I was watching The Dark Knight again with my wife and easily our least favorite character from these movies is Rachel. In the first and second one she is dating the Gotham DA and that's a bad look as assistant DA. In this one every time we see her she is complaining about something.

She complains that Bruce is making fun of Harvey when he is obviously being sincere and saying nice things.
She tells Bruce turning himself in will make no difference and they won't be able to be together.
Then she complains to Alfred about Bruce being a coward when Harvey turns himself in instead.
She also leads Bruce on the entire time even kissing him despite not ever actually seeming conflicted about who she wants to be with. The movies would have been better without her character at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She always was a pretty weak point of the those movies and says a lot that her biggest contribution is getting killed. Just so very 00s Love Interest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Why do you think Bruce saved Harvey and not Rachel? :P

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i never got around to the third batman, and i was really into tom hardy at the time

i guess my heart just said stop: youve apparently watched something like 8 entire batman movies in your life, and you might die if you reach ten. since then, ive only watched parts of trailers from a distance

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Carthag Tuek posted:

i never got around to the third batman, and i was really into tom hardy at the time

i guess my heart just said stop: youve apparently watched something like 8 entire batman movies in your life, and you might die if you reach ten. since then, ive only watched parts of trailers from a distance

The third movie is what made me turn on Nolan

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Dapper gent Bane is great and makes me laugh more and more every time I watch it

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Tom Hardy was one of the only good parts of that movie

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Armacham posted:

What were the other ones?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Biplane posted:

It ended

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Biplane posted:

"Death! By exile!"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Death! By exile!"

Ok yeah that got a laugh from me in the theater.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She always was a pretty weak point of the those movies and says a lot that her biggest contribution is getting killed. Just so very 00s Love Interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Even spinning a cocoon and transforming into Maggie Gyllenhall between movies couldn't save her...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The reverse slam dunk that Ed Norton does in American History X. Laughed my rear end off first time I saw it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Biplane posted:

The fact that the climax of this final movie in a gritty, serious, more down-to-earth reboot of Batman is essentially "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shard posted:

The third movie is what made me turn on Nolan

Same. IIRC it was the first (but not last) Nolan movie where I came out with the realisation that it had just been not a good movie. Not even a matter of failing to reach its full potential or something like that, but just foundational stuff like various action scenes being extremely poorly directed and lacking any impact.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I sure loved how the ending of tdk says Batman will keep going and then the beginning of tdkr says nine years have passed and Batman hadn't done anything in that time.

And then when he suddenly shows up again this one police officer is like "Oh it's batman, this is gonna be good" like it's a common occurence.

Makes no sense.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BioEnchanted posted:

Even spinning a cocoon and transforming into Maggie Gyllenhall between movies couldn't save her...

Someone once referred to her as "the melty face lady" and I haven't been able to see her any other way since.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Armacham posted:

all i can remember is his voice, and the idea that Batman probably couldn't understand him half the time.

"Does anybody have a pen? Can you write that down?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Someone once referred to her as "the melty face lady" and I haven't been able to see her any other way since.

Now I want to see a version of the story where Rachel becomes Two-face.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

BioEnchanted posted:

Now I want to see a version of the story where Rachel becomes Two-face.

There is a legitimately good Batman movie possible out there with that premise. It will never be done right and really just doesn't need to exist period. Life could be better in general I should say

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

TGG posted:

There is a legitimately good Batman movie possible out there with that premise. It will never be done right and really just doesn't need to exist period. Life could be better in general I should say

Half of her looks like Katie Holmes and the other looks like Maggie Gyllenhall. :P

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
adding a few more cents to the 3rd Batman movie chat. Where's the Bane hole Batman climbs out of? i think they kinda imply is vaguely middle east, but Bane is from South America? and Bats gets back fast anyway.

Gothham is supposed in NJ and would be funny if the bane hole is just in the part of NJ that looks like a barren rocky wasteland and then Batman just walked a few mins or hours back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

adding a few more cents to the 3rd Batman movie chat. Where's the Bane hole Batman climbs out of? i think they kinda imply is vaguely middle east, but Bane is from South America? and Bats gets back fast anyway.

Gothham is supposed in NJ and would be funny if the bane hole is just in the part of NJ that looks like a barren rocky wasteland and then Batman just walked a few mins or hours back.

It's actually directly under Tokyo Tower, it's weird no one noticed...

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

PhazonLink posted:

You've never heard of the Pine Barrens?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

PhazonLink posted:

The travel time has always been a weird complaint because Batman has been shown to travel effortlessly, and the movie isn't explicit in showing how much time has passed between his escape and arrival at Gotham. It's like seeing a dude going to sleep in one scene and waking up in the next scene and you complaining that the movie left out eight hours of sleep.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Bruce is as rich and famous as Musk, he can buy his way home instantly from anywhere in the world. "Hi, I'm Elon, I just got mugged. Help me get home and I'll give you twenty million dollars."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Half of her looks like Katie Holmes and the other looks like Maggie Gyllenhall. :P

:lol:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure it's implied to be somewhere in the middle east, given that's the traditional origin of Ra's Al Ghul and the hole is thematically a Lazarus Pit. And yeah, Bruce Wayne canonically spent most of his youth as a globetrotting vagrant, he knows how to get around.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Torquemada posted:

Bruce is as rich and famous as Musk, he can buy his way home instantly from anywhere in the world. "Hi, I'm Elon, I just got mugged. Help me get home and I'll give you twenty million dollars."

Also he runs a large multinational empire I'm sure Wayne enterprises would have offices or at least contacts all over the globe. As soon as he can get to a fun that can cal international he's basically golden.

Also it was shown in the first movie that he actually knows how to travel around with no money pretty easy, just stealing and being resourceful. It's such a weird nit pick when that movie is filled with so, so much actual stupid poo poo.

"oh we just sent literally every police office into the sewers, guess we're utterly defenseless now, lol!!!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm also reasonably sure that the seasons change from autumn when Bruce escapes to winter when he arrives in Gotham.

Like, there is no snow when he is elsewhere and snow when he got back. What did people need, one of those montages over a map with a red line like in Indiana Jones?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

What did people need, one of those montages over a map with a red line like in Indiana Jones?
Yes, all movies should go back to doing this. Why does modern hollywood hate cartographers so!!!!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lioness: Apparently a stick thin woman that looks like a stiff breeze could blow her over is the strongest recruit the marines have ever had. Able to crush every record because she threw javelins in high school.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Lioness: Apparently a stick thin woman that looks like a stiff breeze could blow her over is the strongest recruit the marines have ever had. Able to crush every record because she threw javelins in high school.

i am still amazed to this day that Disney gave Luisa actual muscles in Encanto. And that her storyline wasn't about how she wanted to be pretty and thin like Isabella.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

i am still amazed to this day that Disney gave Luisa actual muscles in Encanto. And that her storyline wasn't about how she wanted to be pretty and thin like Isabella.

Apparently the character was much much more popular with young girls that Disney had expected. The girls liked the idea of a woman being stronger than the others and being the main physical protector of the family. My nieces wished she was in the movie more and actually wanted toys of her for Christmas. Luckily, after several screaming arguments and lots of crying, my nieces agreed to receiving kitchen playsets with an oven that actually had a working light to pretend they were cooking.

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

dr_rat posted:

Also he runs a large multinational empire I'm sure Wayne enterprises would have offices or at least contacts all over the globe. As soon as he can get to a fun that can cal international he's basically golden.

Also it was shown in the first movie that he actually knows how to travel around with no money pretty easy, just stealing and being resourceful. It's such a weird nit pick when that movie is filled with so, so much actual stupid poo poo.

"oh we just sent literally every police office into the sewers, guess we're utterly defenseless now, lol!!!"
If it's like Chicago then they should have 14,000 police officers