Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stick your head inside a big metal tube, glue a speaker to the outside of it, and have it play this noise about one a minute. For bonus points try to sleep through it.

Water is an extremely good conductor of sound, much better than air.

Elendil004 posted:

He was solid, not as good as the first guy, a lot more hands off but wasn't objectively bad in any way. My first CO, I'd still follow him into harms way.

He (my first CO) actually did something very early on in my time on the ship that really gave me a ton of respect for him.

I had so far been on one patrol, and my parents were visiting the ship in homeport so I was giving them a tour after the work day. I had just left the bridge and made a comment passing the CO's door "Down that way is "Officer Country" berthing for the officers." And the CO hears me and pops the door open. I introduce him and he took just a few minutes to talk to my folks but he specifically dropped a couple things I'd done on the patrol. Nothing earth shattering, but I was a very junior E-4 and he knew two or three things I'd done, and made a point to talk to my folks about it. Dude probably knew something about every sailor on the ship.

That's good skippering. My second CO sent a hand written letter to my family when I qualified EWS, explaining a little about the Qual and why it's important, and a couple good things MMN1 Cat did for the ship while deployed, fixing some leaks and the RO units and whatnot that would have pulled us off mission otherwise.

As corny as it is, that sort of stuff matters, my Dad got that letter about a year before he passed away while I was deployed, he had it framed.

I didn't have much time to keep him up to date about that stuff, being at sea about 9 months out of every year, and being a walking zombie the rest of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the info on sonar and subs. I’ve just learned today that you can actually hear the pings when another ship has active sonar on even without headsets connected to the system… y’all hear that just while you’re walking around the ship?

I always assumed any scenes in movies that showed something like this was fake because I assumed that subs had some layer of sound dampening material, like idk even an air gap inside the hull?

sound travels much better in water than in the air. you can hear things from the other side of the ocean - like say from the US west coast to Japan with the right equipment & other factors. active sonar is called a fish fryer for a reason. it puts out a shitload of power into the water that is many times louder than any rock concert or jet engine.

edit : for example when that sub went down near south america weather sonar from hundreds of miles away picked up the noise

:argh: i havent heard that sound in 20 years and i do not miss it

ded fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 9, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So what about an air gap in the hull

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If someone is shouting at you two inches from your head it's still loud even though the sound is passing through the air

Now imagine they're shouting at you from 10 miles + 2 inches away except for the first 10 miles the sound loses basically zero energy

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ded posted:

i had to figure out a way to delete things in the /root directory on a sunspark unix system that we did not have the admin access to because the civilian rider was not with us.

lol what shenanigans managed that

truly i should have joined the navy. a neverending series of problems that caters to my expertise: finding scuffed solutions to even more scuffed computer problems

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

lol what shenanigans managed that

truly i should have joined the navy. a neverending series of problems that caters to my expertise: finding scuffed solutions to even more scuffed computer problems

my solution was to overwrite things. i could change the permission to allow files to be written to, but not deleted. so i took a file that was 4k in size from outside of /root and overwrote it. i had to do this over and over. every time the system crashed it put a dump file in there that filled the hard drive (this is 1997 and they were mb in size not gb) and made the whole thing no longer work.

it took me about 2 days of screwing around to figure this out because i had zero experience with unix, but i had used a lot of dos 3.3-6.0 so cli was familiar

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

truly i should have joined the navy. a neverending series of problems that caters to my expertise

Except the Navy would have heard you say that and then made you chip, prime and paint for 4 years.

In the rain.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

Except the Navy would have heard you say that and then made you chip, prime and paint for 4 years.

In the rain.

Laying non-skid. In the loving snow. I came back from leave to that bullshit and I drat near went to mast over it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

THATS WHY YOU GO RESERVES MY FRIEND.
I’ve never painted and I got 3 and half years of active service!
I volunteered for 1 day of cranking though because I was bored.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i did some painting. like the entire topside of the submarine. because i volunteered to run deck division because i hated my sonar lpo so much.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

THATS WHY YOU GO RESERVES MY FRIEND.
I’ve never painted and I got 3 and half years of active service!
I volunteered for 1 day of cranking though because I was bored.

*Your Mileage May Vary

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

*Your Mileage May Vary

Imagine I posted a box plot here with Crab Dad's experience being 5 standard deviations over the standard Navy experience, Reserves or otherwise.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what about an air gap in the hull

There are some questions that just won't be confirmed/denied here.

ded posted:

i did some painting. like the entire topside of the submarine. because i volunteered to run deck division because i hated my sonar lpo so much.

Luv 2 paint the entire submarine when it's 42⁰ and raining, then have it all peel off like a giant scab the second the boat submerges.

We were in port in Scotland and the CoC was pissed that something was broke, so they made us paint until 1800 every day. We ran out of seafoam green, but they INSISTED the engineroom get a fresh coat for ORSE, so the guys eventually "spot painted" most of the engineroom with just the green part of our 2-part epoxy primer.

What a loving horrible, sticky mess.

Or the time they said that my duty section wouldn't be allowed on leave, second half of holiday stand down, unless we painted every single bilge pocket in the ER, so we painted bilges for 24 hours out of every 48, sometimes pausing to take SRW logs. I got really severe nosebleeds for the next couple weeks.

To everyone's astonishment, it wasn't a very loving good paint job. There's a whole paragraph in the Surface Coatings manual that says don't just make people paint to paint, carefully surface prep and paint small areas as necessary, but good luck finding a single loving Officer in the Navy that understands or abides by that.

Submarines have had to be reballasted because the lifetime weight increase in lovely coats of paint applied by lovely sailors.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"Do you know how materials science works? No? Okay we're done here, go gently caress yourself."

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elendil004 posted:

I don't know which is a better drunk liberty story, being saved by two Yeoman as I drunkenly inform several Aruban police officers that I will go find Natalie Hollaway's body (they were not impressed)...or finding the captain drunk in a pile of trash and sneaking him back onto the ship with the AvDet.

I wasn't in Aruba, and your story doesn't involve the XO VERY DRUNKENLY giving us (AvDet) "Direct Lawful Orders" to go piss on the Captain. Other than that, drunken liberty story checks out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

There are some questions that just won't be confirmed/denied here.

Luv 2 paint the entire submarine when it's 42⁰ and raining, then have it all peel off like a giant scab the second the boat submerges.

this was in hawaii so instead we sweated our balls off the whole time.

and a massive patch right in front of the sail came off on the first dive. the weps just looked at me and said "dont worry about it that happens every time"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elviscat posted:

Stick your head inside a big metal tube, glue a speaker to the outside of it, and have it play this noise about one a minute. For bonus points try to sleep through it.

Water is an extremely good conductor of sound, much better than air.

That's good skippering. My second CO sent a hand written letter to my family when I qualified EWS, explaining a little about the Qual and why it's important, and a couple good things MMN1 Cat did for the ship while deployed, fixing some leaks and the RO units and whatnot that would have pulled us off mission otherwise.

As corny as it is, that sort of stuff matters, my Dad got that letter about a year before he passed away while I was deployed, he had it framed.

I didn't have much time to keep him up to date about that stuff, being at sea about 9 months out of every year, and being a walking zombie the rest of the time.

Some scuba dudes got to hear it. "What the gently caress was that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaO6jQEmfoY

Edit: Skip to 40 sec or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I never painted in my 4 years.

poo poo I barely cleaned lol

Air side rules.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Posting here because I have not posted on SA for a year. Luv u all

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

Posting here because I have not posted on SA for a year. Luv u all

wots the occasion? life good?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yeah I'm good! I just drifted away from the forums and want to reacquaint myself here. Gonna go get big in FYAD again, re-live my 1999 glory days.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DustyNuts posted:

Yeah I'm good! I just drifted away from the forums and want to reacquaint myself here. Gonna go get big in FYAD again, re-live my 1999 glory days.

That sounds very much like a backslide. >_>

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

ded posted:

my solution was to overwrite things. i could change the permission to allow files to be written to, but not deleted. so i took a file that was 4k in size from outside of /root and overwrote it. i had to do this over and over. every time the system crashed it put a dump file in there that filled the hard drive (this is 1997 and they were mb in size not gb) and made the whole thing no longer work.

it took me about 2 days of screwing around to figure this out because i had zero experience with unix, but i had used a lot of dos 3.3-6.0 so cli was familiar

The original OBTTMC on VA would poo poo itself like clockwork every few hours because processes constantly crashed and dumped corefiles that the system never cleaned up. I was the only one who knew how to get the thing running again and I sure as poo poo wasn't going to tell anyone else how easy it was.

I got out of so much training, so many drills, and so many fast cruises just so I could sit up there and keep the thing running. (On the downside, it did mean getting in early as balls on the days training was planned.)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I got to run the OBTT on the 774 for awhile, pretty fun seeing the DUAL PENTIUM II PROCESSOR sticker on the computer, lol.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011
Haha, at the time of commissioning I think it ran on this really lovely HP744 SBC running HP-UX. I had a few years of experience in development for UNIX so I knew my way around and that's effectively how I ended up in charge of it. It was a piece of garbage... but it could get on the ship's LAN and send and receive SailorMail which was nice as the OBTTMC "maintainer." Didn't have to wait for an available laptop or anything.

(I'm honestly not sure if it was *supposed* to be able to access the ship's LAN but I don't think the IT Div dipshits knew anything more than how to reset passwords.)

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
This rear end in a top hat in my division is doing his reenlistment on the Midway and is dress blues only UUUUGGGGHHHH

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

This rear end in a top hat in my division is doing his reenlistment on the Midway and is dress blues only UUUUGGGGHHHH

You gonna look like 7lb of sausage in a 5lb sack?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

That's where I wanted to do mine but we were fast cruising so I did it in computer central in coveralls. I was kind of pissed tbh

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Phone posting so can't find it but that Terminal Lance with the Sergeant reenlisting in knee high water thinking about how much he hates everyone in his platoon

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Phone posting so can't find it but that Terminal Lance with the Sergeant reenlisting in knee high water thinking about how much he hates everyone in his platoon

I gotcha, boo.

https://terminallance.com/2023/10/24/thereenlistmentceremony/

E: Whoa, big.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/1735334577974223350?t=vv98Tosv3cQU4KMqoXO2KQ&s=19

All DVs should be required to bring good food when visiting deployed units

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Was the 1000lbs of BBQ enough to offset the 100 days of suffering extra cleaning leading up to his visit?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I know the TAO sitting there very, VERY awkwardly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
ma'am, that is a baby in that seat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

When AFRICOM visited my “ship” all we got was a pile of poo poo.

His security detail bomb sniffer doggo got sea sick on our ship and started making GBS threads himself.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

His security detail bomb sniffer doggo got sea sick on our ship and started making GBS threads himself.

This is something I've never heard of

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crab Dad posted:

When AFRICOM visited my “ship” all we got was a pile of poo poo.

Did you ask them why they don’t give the dogs hearing protection when they fly on helicopters?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hekk posted:

Did you ask them why they don’t give the dogs hearing protection when they fly on helicopters?

We weren’t actually allowed to approach him. Also it was on a EPF tied up to the dock in Sicily. Still no idea how the dog got sick but being on the boat did not agree with him.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I don't think making GBS threads yourself is a symptom of sea sickness no matter what species. Sounds more like doggo decided to chow down on something he shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CMD598 posted:

I don't think making GBS threads yourself is a symptom of sea sickness no matter what species. Sounds more like doggo decided to chow down on something he shouldn't have.

I've witnessed a sailor get sea sickness while on a pakistani fishing dhow in the northwest indian ocean. Well, I witnessed in that I watched via camera and later infrared while on watch while the vbss team was over. He was very clear that the rocking was making him seasick and that he was going to poo poo himself. Unfortunately his only option was to use the head of the dhow, which is literally a hole in the brow. The infrared picked up the poo as it flew out of him.