Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, while I know programming is rarely easy, it seems like you could do something like "does one of the player's characters have a proficiency with X type 'exotic' weapon? Increase the odds for X-type weapons in the random loot a moderate amount."

Anyways, been thinking about picking this up, but as usual for CRPGs these days (or maybe always) it sounds like it need a bit more time to patch if I want a smooth experience through the whole game.

The problem in Owlcat games is that the weapons aren't actually random. So weighting the drops doesn't help. The other solution is having a crafting system, but that usually has problems with the crafted weapons either being obscenely good, or lackluster compared to the 'unique' drops that are usually best-in-class.

Sharkopath posted:

I think in this game every category of weapons is worth taking except force weapons ( only like 2 or 3 of them) and eldar. Dark eldar has a ton of weapons available, normal eldar is mostly just the shuriken rifle (which is neat, it's heavy bolter statline on a normal 2 hander, but that means it can't benefit from heavy weapon talents), and the fusion guns which dark eldar just have better versions of. Yrliets rifles if you want to use them hut don't want her.

The other weapon types have plenty of options available to them based on how you're feeling. It's not a perfect distribution but it means that laser, flamer, bolter, melta, heavy, deldar, power, chain, and solid are all worthwhile specs, and that's a lot.

There's plenty of diversity, but I think it helps that "type" tends to matter more than bonuses. The OP build generally wants rapid fire to take advantage of additive bonuses, which means you've got plenty of choices depending on how fast you want to fire. I think melee weapons are the most restrictive category since they have more reliance on the stat-stick aspects of their weapon (swords getting bonuses to parry, etc) while also being very dependent on damage as single-hit weapons.

That said, I'm chilly on the specialization traits in general outside of characters like Argenta, Yrliet, and Pasqal, who each have good reasons to stick to a certain type of weapon no matter what else you find. Force weapons are really the only odd duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So what is a good Origin for an Officer? Is Noble the superior choice or are there other origins that plays well into it as well?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
Abelard, bring the thread to heel...

The Esteemed Rogue Trader and bearer of his sacred warrant, Lord Boo Boo Bear Von Valancius, wishes to inform the lower, unwashed classes, that nobility and the skills of an officer are one in the same. Those of sufficient rank and stature may even wear two monocles to denote their superior lineage. You may now submit to punish for questions that if not bordering on heresy are at the very least beneath a potential applicant to the Schola Progenium. That is all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

So what is a good Origin for an Officer? Is Noble the superior choice or are there other origins that plays well into it as well?

I thought being a psyker that buffed offered some nice synergy but you would have to go fully into both willpower and fellowship to make it work. Other than that, commissar?

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I just hit level 16 after the fight with the chaos space marine at the star port and I'm trying to figure out what works best for second classes. So far my Noble Operative MC has been the team sniper (and has seemingly no ability to benefit from You. Serve Me.) but is mostly built to be a skill monkey for dialogue options. I have no idea whether bounty hunter or grand strategist would be better for him. Abelard it's my tank so I'm thinking vanguard is a no brainier. I also have Pasqal doing melee damage role so I'm going to try assassin with him. Are there any other no brainer picks? Argenta could easily go either Master Tactician or Arch-Militant since I use her to clear out the chaff with a bolter or grenades. Cassia I feel grand strategist but I'm not sure having 2 in a team would be good if I do that with my MC. Any advice on good class combos?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Argenta Arch-Militant is easy mode. When you get a heavy bolter for her she'll never let bosses get a second turn

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Argenta Arch-Militant is easy mode. When you get a heavy bolter for her she'll never let bosses get a second turn

which is probably required above normal as bosses getting more then 1 turn means they've probably wiped your party

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This weapon I found in Chapter 4 seems to have an interesting property.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sharkopath posted:

I think in this game every category of weapons is worth taking except force weapons ( only like 2 or 3 of them) and eldar. Dark eldar has a ton of weapons available, normal eldar is mostly just the shuriken rifle (which is neat, it's heavy bolter statline on a normal 2 hander, but that means it can't benefit from heavy weapon talents), and the fusion guns which dark eldar just have better versions of. Yrliets rifles if you want to use them hut don't want her.

The other weapon types have plenty of options available to them based on how you're feeling. It's not a perfect distribution but it means that laser, flamer, bolter, melta, heavy, deldar, power, chain, and solid are all worthwhile specs, and that's a lot.

Screw weapons, just give my girl some gloves. I've gotten like five drukhari gloves (Marazai rip in piss, Yrliet didn't miss) and zero aeldari ones. Toybox coming in clutch yet again.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

I just hit level 16 after the fight with the chaos space marine at the star port and I'm trying to figure out what works best for second classes. So far my Noble Operative MC has been the team sniper (and has seemingly no ability to benefit from You. Serve Me.) but is mostly built to be a skill monkey for dialogue options. I have no idea whether bounty hunter or grand strategist would be better for him. Abelard it's my tank so I'm thinking vanguard is a no brainier. I also have Pasqal doing melee damage role so I'm going to try assassin with him. Are there any other no brainer picks? Argenta could easily go either Master Tactician or Arch-Militant since I use her to clear out the chaff with a bolter or grenades. Cassia I feel grand strategist but I'm not sure having 2 in a team would be good if I do that with my MC. Any advice on good class combos?

I'd give Cassia master tactician and Argenta arch-militant. The latter is already explained, but grand strategist is kinda fiddly and doesn't really feel like it answers the 'class fantasy.' Maybe multiple would work, but unless you're committed to moving zones around constantly and adapting your movements to where you've placed the zones, I honestly think the class is more trouble than it is worth. I gave Cassia GS on my playthrough, which I'm only using for passive buffs--everything else is her using navigator powers or officer skills, so not needing to waste AP on grand strategist stuff works well.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Noble or Psyker. Ministorum only if you want to be in close quarters with melta, flamer, or melee. Crime Lord is awesome for a hands on killer but not good for an officer.

Naval, Comissar, and Militarum are not great origins; all their stuff works on their once a combat one off ability, then is useless. Ministorum also have a one off but can get some awesome passives. Crime Lords can regenerate the Surefire plan ability through the various upgrades making them very good throughout a combat. Nobles can keep boosting their servant through the fight. Psykers just their own thing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Being released in a half broken state where cheats are highly recommended is part of the natural life cycle of a CRPG and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thanks to Owlcat for carrying on the tradition of your forefathers.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

It would be nice to arrive to a single story location without immediately being ambushed by the archenemy.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Janissary Hop posted:

It would be nice to arrive to a single story location without immediately being ambushed by the archenemy.

TBF that's 40k in a nutshell :xcom:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

You know what they say.
If everywhere you go smells like poo poo, check the bottoms of your shoes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I'd give Cassia master tactician and Argenta arch-militant. The latter is already explained, but grand strategist is kinda fiddly and doesn't really feel like it answers the 'class fantasy.' Maybe multiple would work, but unless you're committed to moving zones around constantly and adapting your movements to where you've placed the zones, I honestly think the class is more trouble than it is worth. I gave Cassia GS on my playthrough, which I'm only using for passive buffs--everything else is her using navigator powers or officer skills, so not needing to waste AP on grand strategist stuff works well.

The Officer-GS praise seems mostly for the ability to immediately go first, and between Officer abilities and their Heroic moment, your DPS will get to attack 5-10 times before the combat even officially 'starts'. The actual GS zones aren't going to be that important if combat barely lasts 2 rounds.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I just did the "Drifting Voidship" and that sure is one nasty dungeon. Cool though.

Yeah, super creepy ambience and the final boss is leagues scarier than anything you run into up to that point. Loved it.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

You know what they say.
If everywhere you go smells like poo poo, check the bottoms of your shoes.

So you're saying... I'm... the archenemy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

Yeah they need to have more ways to interact with locations. More storytime and conversations, less attacking.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Janissary Hop posted:

It would be nice to arrive to a single location without immediately being ambushed by the archenemy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

loving hell. Now Yrliet's Chapter 4 quest is completely broken. I managed to fix Heinrix by realizing a state wasn't being set and manually set that state. But I can't figure this one out for the life of me.

Janissary Hop posted:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Sylphosaurus posted:

i did comissar and don't regret it, i know the poster above said it all sucks and goes off of one ability, but honestly all of my fights are 2-3 turns max so that one time ability is a great delete this now button, also the comissar has multiple cool dialogue options, gets frequently recognized as a famous comissar - it rules from a 40K standpoint imo

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I like GS on Cassia mainly because it makes her go first. I can use point of curiosity to bunch people up in a frontline square, shove a backline on top of herself and a rear on Argenta. Then she shouts a voice of command at argenta and tells her to bring it down. The heavy bolter burst attack on the enemies usually kills most of them and nets Argenta a heroic action to finish everything off.

I also gave Pasqal GS and he actually takes talents for them. One of them lets you use an ability at -1 AP cost if on the backline, this seems to trigger when Cassia gets her go back and for some reason it remains at 0 AP cost for the whole turn. If you have a devesting staff on Cassia it means she gets two casts of it to wipe out any beefier enemies who may have survived Argenta's turn. Ideally though for me Pasqal goes first so he casts killzone on the frontline square to make enemies reroll successful dodges and help with argenta's future mass murder.

Outside of this use focused all around maximizing Argenta's already ridiculous power level though I haven't found a good way to use GS.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I don't regret giving Cass grand strategist because the zones are nice little bonuses for zero ap, which she should instead be using to do insane damage and area manipulation.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 17, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

consider:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(End Act 1) What can you do with the Miraculous Fusion Reactor if you recovered it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

very helpful

also, that pray against thing gave me +1 AP for exactly one turn... so much for the emperor!

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

What is this Fiend of Vhaebos IV status I keep inflicting on everyone, am I a heresy

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I am afraid to play this game past act 2

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

George Sex - REAL posted:

Letting the archenemy win smh

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

anyone know if these abilities work with each other?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I ended up going with MC and Pascal as Grand Strategists, since if you read how the zones work you'll note that it mentions it individually keys off the higher of Fellowship and Intelligence bonuses of all Grand Strategists in the party. Plus it's not like their second class was that important. MC is still mostly doing Officer things (just with bonus zones that might do something occasionally), and Pascal has a bunch of Mechanicus abilities to invest in which once again don't care about his actual class. Plus Operative abilities to benefit the party.

Cassia went Tactician since the bonus damage stacks are useful for just deleting a room on occasion. Really, I'm not finding any of their second classes to be super impactful due to their established playstyles anyways.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

George Sex - REAL posted:

I think I'm just gonna put the game down for at least another half a year or so. My tolerance level was high enough to complete WotR and BG3 on release, but this one? Ehhh.....

In the grim darkness of 40,000 A.D, Rogue Trader and Darktide will both finally be playable.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

So I did Henrix's stuff at kiava gamma and I'm kind of disappointed at the morality choices during his stuff.

There was only dogmatic and iconoclast options. Iconoclast options were "stop the suffering now" and dogmatic was "let's do the evil thing because it'll totally help us fight chaos with no downside whatsoever I'm sure".

I feel at minimum there should have been a "let's do the evil thing to learn more about chaos because it can make me more powerful" option for heresy points.

In general for the morality stuff, I feel they can't decide where dogmatic means the more puritan "wipe out anything with a hint of heresy" stance or the more radical "ends justify the means" stance, the Henrix quest is a good example of this - the dogmatic options feel more like radical inquisitor actions. Also many of the heresy options are "I'm a psycho mass murderer lol" and opportunities for a "I'm gonna embrace heritical stuff to become stronger" option aren't often taken.

I feel dogmatic should be "I'll follow the imperial faith blindly even if it's to my detriment", iconoclast should be "I'll try to make the universe better even if risks ruin" and heresy should be "I'll cut chaos some slack, be it because I'm intentionally trying to help or I (foolishly) think I can stave off corruption."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Reclaimer posted:

What is this Fiend of Vhaebos IV status I keep inflicting on everyone, am I a heresy

Did you finish one of the colony projects on Vhaebos? Maybe it's that debuff.

Further Reading posted:

So I did Henrix's stuff at kiava gamma and I'm kind of disappointed at the morality choices during his stuff.

There was only dogmatic and iconoclast options. Iconoclast options were "stop the suffering now" and dogmatic was "let's do the evil thing because it'll totally help us fight chaos with no downside whatsoever I'm sure".

I feel at minimum there should have been a "let's do the evil thing to learn more about chaos because it can make me more powerful" option for heresy points.

In general for the morality stuff, I feel they can't decide where dogmatic means the more puritan "wipe out anything with a hint of heresy" stance or the more radical "ends justify the means" stance, the Henrix quest is a good example of this - the dogmatic options feel more like radical inquisitor actions. Also many of the heresy options are "I'm a psycho mass murderer lol" and opportunities for a "I'm gonna embrace heritical stuff to become stronger" option aren't often taken.

I feel dogmatic should be "I'll follow the imperial faith blindly even if it's to my detriment", iconoclast should be "I'll try to make the universe better even if risks ruin" and heresy should be "I'll cut chaos some slack, be it because I'm intentionally trying to help or I (foolishly) think I can stave off corruption."

Doing chaos aligned stuff is generally what empowers chaos aligned people. For example, being a mass murdering psycho brings you more Khorne power.

fake edit: sorry if that comes off bad, I think you're right in general about the heresy options

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 17, 2023

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Further Reading posted:

For the future machine? There was definitely a heretic option, it said "let the machine do its thing to justify the sacrifice of so many people", which I remember cause I was like "that's a weird way to phrase a heretic option".

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
I love how after dealing with the Slaaneshi cult on Janus, this guy is still just chilling out, minding his own business.

I need mutie Cheech on my crew, Owlcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

For the future machine? There was definitely a heretic option, it said "let the machine do its thing to justify the sacrifice of so many people", which I remember cause I was like "that's a weird way to phrase a heretic option".

Ah yeah, at the very end there was one like that yeah. The previous two steps are the ones where the lack of heretic options really stands out. The first one is the with the Lexmechanic where Henrix wants to force him to embrace the scrap code to write out everything too unsafe to remember and the dogmatic option was basically "force this guy to destroy his mind to maybe learn something that can help us fight chaos". Then later with the sphere of people melded together the dogmatic option was "use psyker powers to mess around with this weird chaos thing to maybe learn something that can help us fight chaos." Both are very radical "do the chaos thing because the ends justify the means" and could have used a "trick henrix into doing something awful to corrupt him/potentially learn something to get more personal power" heretic option.