Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the easiest/quickest way to get a new colonist? I basically don’t have a miner after my last raid which is obviously a problem. I’ve been selling ambrosia to buy steel.

I know I can capture people, buy from slavers (but not as a slave) and the other option would be for one to just show up. Are there any other things I could do except be patient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:gizz:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

miner, not minor. it'll take years before a kid is useful to the colony for rock-smacking

go do some stuff on the world map and see if you can kidnap someone with useful skills. colonists can also be quest rewards, or you might get lucky and have a "dudes want to rest at your colony" quest pop (in which case make sure the miner likes you and asks to stay)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The fastest/most reliable method to get new pawns is having six ideology rituals with the pawn recruitment outcome. If you want someone specifically for mining though, you probably would have most luck getting someone with mining skill by recruiting a tribal in a raid (either one visiting you or you visiting a resource camp), since tribals have more backstories with a mining bonus.

This is a reliable method but definitely not a fast one. :unsmith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just throw them into the growth vat

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't have any miners at all so everyone is mining level 1-3 and on mining day they spend hours chatting and helping dig out each other's bedrooms.

Which reminds me I better tame these loving camels and get dusters before I get any rescue missions or I'll never survive the heatstroke walking 1 tile away

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Avalerion posted:

Is there any penalty to chugging beer and tea daily with the dependency genes?

Beer still inebriates so it's making your pawn worse at stuff

Tea, though? Chug away. The only reason not to chug tea is because you're using yayo instead and have ascended beyond the need for other mood/recreation sources

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

miner, not minor. it'll take years before a kid is useful to the colony for rock-smacking

With a growth pod isn't it like a week, maybe 2? E: Apparently it's 30 days. Just one month and then that kid goes to the mines! So easy!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 16, 2023

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

QuarkJets posted:

With a growth pod isn't it like a week, maybe 2?

Yeah but then you have a poo poo colonist with no passions, traits or skills.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zore posted:

Do you want a miner or not?!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Avalerion posted:

Is there any penalty to chugging beer and tea daily with the dependency genes?

No penalty re: your pawns’ health, but it takes a ton of pawn labor to grow enough psychite and beer to do daily doses for a whole colony.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zore posted:

I didn't even need a growth vat to become that :smuggo:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Don't need skills, passions or traits if you have double mining arms and all you do is stand at a drill. Give them a chair if you want to be nice, but who cares, they were grown to have drill arms and drill.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I slept on field and drill hands for so long because I thought they dropped manipulation, but they're just regular hands with a flat upgrade and a mild walking speed debuff. I wasted so much manpower :negative:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Danaru posted:

I slept on field and drill hands for so long because I thought they dropped manipulation, but they're just regular hands with a flat upgrade and a mild walking speed debuff. I wasted so much manpower :negative:

There's also an expanded bionics mod that will let you have advanced field hands etc that have the manipulation buff and no downsides

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the easiest/quickest way to get a new colonist? I basically don’t have a miner after my last raid which is obviously a problem. I’ve been selling ambrosia to buy steel.

I know I can capture people, buy from slavers (but not as a slave) and the other option would be for one to just show up. Are there any other things I could do except be patient?

Wish I could tell you, I just aborted a Naked Brutality run, because despite having a single pawn and thus having what the game considers a "critically low population", which should make various "Wanderer Joins" events rain from the sky, it took a year and a half before I even got the chance to recruit someone else. My single dude build an entire base, a killbox with traps to defend it, farmed enough food for several years and survived several Manhunter attacks and even a Mechanoid raid (ok, it was just a single lancer but still) all on his lonesome. Then I realized I was nearing a second year in the game with absolutely no research, mining or crafting done and restarted.

My second attempt, I am 10 days in and have already 6 pawn in my colony and 3 waiting in prison. And I am not getting anything done regardless, because I have to regularly go hunting elks with wood logs because everyone is always on the precipice of starvation, because my first rice field didn't even finished growing yet. Randy Random is an rear end in a top hat. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dunno-Lars posted:

Don't need skills, passions or traits if you have double mining arms and all you do is stand at a drill. Give them a chair if you want to be nice, but who cares, they were grown to have drill arms and drill.

this is certainly true but idk if it's an option for the colony currently scrabbling for steel

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wish I could tell you, I just aborted a Naked Brutality run, because despite having a single pawn and thus having what the game considers a "critically low population", which should make various "Wanderer Joins" events rain from the sky, it took a year and a half before I even got the chance to recruit someone else.
When I do Naked Brutality runs, I always use the Endless Rimworld mod. First person does their best to live and probably fails, second person does their best to live (and probably showed up without cooking, plants or hunting), and fails, and three or more people later you sometimes wind up with somebody who's able to survive thanks to all the work of their doomed predecessors. Or they get sick, the man in black shows up, somehow winds up setting the hut on fire, and that's the end of that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry, I should have mentioned I only have Ideology! To be fair my current 'miner' is 3.12 in it but I just gave them a bionic spine as theirs was hosed so this could solve my short-term problem a bit.

They are still frail and despite that, and their bad back AND me putting them up front in every combat mission they didn't die! So I feel I need to see if through now when they die of old age or something.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Got a 'wanderer joins' event that turned out to be a five-year-old boy, so I happily adopted him, built a schoolroom, was enjoying the extra pair of hands. Had a small raid that left an injured, pregnant woman on my doorstep so I captured her, patched her up, recruited her and been slowly getting her to have some small tasks.

Last night she had a critical break from being too cold before I could craft a parka for her, went murderous rage and beat the kid to death. In trying to defend him, she also got critically injured and bled out. Back to my original three colonists.

Rimworld.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Danaru posted:

Huh, I also always assumed they would lower manipulation for whatever reason.

Now I guess all my miners are going to look like Mega Man villains henceforth.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Red_Fred posted:

there's a cloning mod

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can imagine what a field hand looks like, maybe it's just a normal hand but like the back opens up inspector gadget style and there's a bunch of pruning shears or whatever

What does a drill arm look like, while also not effecting other manipulation tasks? Does the drill come out of the elbow and upper arm?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The fingers merge together into a drill bit

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
All your utensils, toothbrush, etc have adapter bits on their ends, problem solved

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Eiba posted:

Honestly, the rock types with such minor differences in properties seem like this game showing its Dwarf Fortress inspiration. Considering the rest of the gameplay focused design sensibilities in Rimworld, there should really just be one kind of generic stone. Having a bunch doesn't add much to the gameplay, and Rimworld's whole premise is basically, "What if- Dwarf Fortress but gameplay focused instead of simulation focused."

What the game needs is more types of METALS. Steel is used for everything. Gold is just Silver+. Jade isn't a metal. Uranium is only good for clubs. A lot of the endgame is just eating endless amounts of steel to make components/advanced components.

New metals would take the pressure off the steel economy, and give you more things to make weapons out of. Like currently only melee weapons are effected by what their made of. it would be interesting to apply to ranged.

Red_Fred posted:

The quickest way is dance parties/rituals. High odds of an instant join, with a reasonable cool down. If you're using flexible ideologies, you can just make a bunch of rituals that "join colonists" as a result. Then you can just spam those constantly. Not only will you get random colonists, but they're likely to be your ideology. Way faster that converting prisoners, and no waiting around for a raid.

Combine that with gladiatorial combat rituals, or trials and execution, you can dispose of colonists you don't want.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Wooden Sniper Rifle (good)

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Corn Sniper Rifle (Good)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Busters posted:

What the game needs is more types of METALS. Steel is used for everything. Gold is just Silver+. Jade isn't a metal. Uranium is only good for clubs. A lot of the endgame is just eating endless amounts of steel to make components/advanced components.

New metals would take the pressure off the steel economy, and give you more things to make weapons out of. Like currently only melee weapons are effected by what their made of. it would be interesting to apply to ranged.

The quickest way is dance parties/rituals. High odds of an instant join, with a reasonable cool down. If you're using flexible ideologies, you can just make a bunch of rituals that "join colonists" as a result. Then you can just spam those constantly. Not only will you get random colonists, but they're likely to be your ideology. Way faster that converting prisoners, and no waiting around for a raid.

Combine that with gladiatorial combat rituals, or trials and execution, you can dispose of colonists you don't want.

Do people come to the colony to party and then often stay? I didn’t know this. Will give it a go. Thanks!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Ardryn posted:

Corn Sniper Rifle (Good)

the antigrain rifle........

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Uranium's thing is being great for construction. It's the second most durable material after plasteel, quick to build with because metal, and unlike (unmodded, if you're a lunatic) steel it doesn't catch fire. The fact it can make good maces and decent plate armor is just a side bonus.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Red_Fred posted:

Do people come to the colony to party and then often stay? I didn’t know this. Will give it a go. Thanks!

It's an instant join if the dance party/ritual succeeds and the ritual only takes like 3 hours, with a 10 day (i think) cooldown. But if you have more than one ritual/dance you can just wait 24 hours and do that one, keeping these rituals in rotation.

Wiki says is a 50% chance of new colonist for a successful dance party- but the requirements are super low.

Asimo posted:

Uranium's thing is being great for construction. It's the second most durable material after plasteel, quick to build with because metal, and unlike (unmodded, if you're a lunatic) steel it doesn't catch fire. The fact it can make good maces and decent plate armor is just a side bonus.

I've never had enough uranium to make anything more than a few clubs and a few Terror sculptures because I thought that was funny

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Red_Fred posted:

The dance party ritual has to specifically say there is a chance for a wanderer join as its effect. There are other effects it might have instead, like improving faction relations or restoring psyfocus, not every dance party will have the wanderer join reward.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Eiba posted:

Honestly, the rock types with such minor differences in properties seem like this game showing its Dwarf Fortress inspiration. Considering the rest of the gameplay focused design sensibilities in Rimworld, there should really just be one kind of generic stone. Having a bunch doesn't add much to the gameplay, and Rimworld's whole premise is basically, "What if- Dwarf Fortress but gameplay focused instead of simulation focused."

There is a pretty good gameplay differentiation for some of the types of rock that's similar to the rice/corn/potatoes triangle. You have granite with most HP for building durable walls/buildings, marble if you care about beauty and slate if you want to mine/get stone fast. It's only sandstone and limestone that are just weirdly "in the middle" without a clear niche or purpose.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Busters posted:

Nah. I mean, it's a pretty fun mod idea, but the strength of the base game is how easy it is to grasp. "Steel" is just "material". That's fine. You're going to need more materials to make things and that's all just called steel. If you can't make stuff with plain materials, you can use a few processed material called components. Plasteel is fancy material. Silver is currency, gold is fancy currency. Jade is a special beauty material and uranium is a rare material for certain specialized uses. It's all pretty straightforward and doesn't require getting too fiddly with anything.

Mods can and should add a bunch of neat fiddly systems, and there's a lot of room for them in materials, but I really think the base game should be simple and legible.

Lt. Lizard posted:

There is a pretty good gameplay differentiation for some of the types of rock that's similar to the rice/corn/potatoes triangle. You have granite with most HP for building durable walls/buildings, marble if you care about beauty and slate if you want to mine/get stone fast. It's only sandstone and limestone that are just weirdly "in the middle" without a clear niche or purpose.
I thought sandstone was the fast building one. Regardless, with the exception of marble walls doubling beauty compared to other stone walls, the differences are minuscule. Especially since most things that destroy walls these days can destroy all walls in one shot rendering HP differences almost meaningless. Compare that to growing corn vs rice potentially being life or death for a colony in the case of a blight or attack. The stone differences are pretty vestigial at this point.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If I wanted to get one expansion which one should I get? Also, do they ever go on sale?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Xerol posted:

If I wanted to get one expansion which one should I get? Also, do they ever go on sale?

Ideology; Rimworld and DLC never get substantial discounts so may as well get it if you're in the mood now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Eiba posted:

I thought sandstone was the fast building one. Regardless, with the exception of marble walls doubling beauty compared to other stone walls, the differences are minuscule. Especially since most things that destroy walls these days can destroy all walls in one shot rendering HP differences almost meaningless. Compare that to growing corn vs rice potentially being life or death for a colony in the case of a blight or attack. The stone differences are pretty vestigial at this point.

Stone types may matter for aesthetics due to coloration but now that painting is a vanilla feature even that doesn't matter as much anymore. The base stone does affect how quickly you can dig out a mountain base though, and sometimes the HP differences actually do come up when raiders are beating on things by hand instead of using grenades.

Xerol posted:

Biotech is probably the best one if you're getting a single DLC, though it's also pricier than the others. Royalty and Ideology both cater to different play styles - grab Royalty if you want more spacer tech and space magic to mess around with, and Ideology if you want more support for themed colonies.

I believe the first two DLCs are on sale on Steam right now as well, because of the Labor of Love award nomination?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Uranium platemail actually was extremely useful to me in one game. We ended up traversing literally the entire planet by foot wearing the stuff.

e: it's extremely stupid that plate does not (hopefully didn't?) include gauntlets and (maybe?) boots like irl plate did. We got attacked one time on that journey and a dude got his finger hurt while casually getting repeatedly brutally shot. Also i think forging it into items and then resmelting lets you kinda break physics on the weight of the stuff? Idk i don't remember. You do lose a shitload of the material tho. I think i posted in here that the only sane way i could figure out how to move the uranium was to make it into plate armor for sure.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Christ, Randy wants me dead.

I got a fairly mean but basic mech cluster with an automortar; lacking the manpower to rush it down head on but needing to get it done before it started shelling me, I called in my ally and let them die to weaken it and let me swoop in and kill the automortar and mech manufactories. Literally while I was fighting, another mechanoid raid coming from three separate directions touched down. Thankfully they were a "wait to attack" raid so I had time to get people back in the walls to prep for incoming. They came on and my defenses were holding just barely...and then while they were mid-attack, a loving siege raid touches down on the far end of the map and starts setting up while I'm up to my rear end in mechanoids. These raids came in so fast on each others' heels that my ally call-in was still on cooldown for half a day, so I barely fended off the mechanoids and had to deal with three mortars slapping my base with incendiaries for half a day before I could call in another wave of allies to prod the siege into attacking me. At this point 6 out of 8 colonists are badly wounded and all of them are dead on their feet from fighting and literally putting out fires for close to 24 hours straight.

Thankfully my base was all stone so nothing structurally vital ended up burning down, though I did lose a couple of my hemogen farms when a mortar hit the prison dead on, they hosed up my storage pretty badly, and I've got pen animals roaming all across the damned map because my pen got breached.