Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Voice of Labor posted:

frying up some hog jowl to make cracklins. beef tongue, lobster, sardines. poor people food rocks
in America they live in the lap of luxury. back in the old country, you eat bread and onion when you are poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
bread and good onion is great. good bread and thinly sliced radishes with butter is even better.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

made miso soup with the kid. I need to find better dashi. there's something ritualistic and satisfying about boiling a sachet of dried fish that a packet of msg and fish extract doesn't really capture. also the packets have too much msg, not the exact right amount of msg like they should

have you tried kayanoya? that's what I use when I don't feel like making my own dashi

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i won a bunch of reece's at secret santa so that's dinner

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Mar 22, 2024

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

in America they live in the lap of luxury. back in the old country, you eat bread and onion when you are poor.
mercimek yesterday, mercimek today, and blimey, if it don't look like mercimek again tomorrow

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

mercimek yesterday, mercimek today, and blimey, if it don't look like mercimek again tomorrow

i had never heard of that dish before but hot drat that sounds delicious. i could always stand to eat more legumes

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

been loving eggplant recently. what's some of your favorite eggplant dishes?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/fish-fragrant-eggplants-sichuan-braised-eggplant-with-garlic-ginger-and-chilies

whips

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whoa

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Eat This Glob posted:

i had never heard of that dish before but hot drat that sounds delicious. i could always stand to eat more legumes

its actually pretty decent as a staple dish, but at dig sites it becomes a "twice a day, every day" dish and 40 days is a long time for lentil slurry to be 75% of your calories

great for losing weight without losing too much muscle mass tho

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

Eggplant parm, mabo nasu and tortang talong are what I like.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

its actually pretty decent as a staple dish, but at dig sites it becomes a "twice a day, every day" dish and 40 days is a long time for lentil slurry to be 75% of your calories

great for losing weight without losing too much muscle mass tho

i could stand to lose some weight lol. ill give it a try, thanks!

also, im not wild about eggplant, but

will vouch for this one. brings a ton of flavor

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Eggplant parm, mabo nasu and tortang talong are what I like.

yeah I made parm last night. great stuff. gonna try these others out.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna fry some smelt for breakfast. when I give the heads to the stray cats I hope they arrange them in horrific configurations throughout the neighborhood

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ended up putting two of the smelts on a tortilla with some pico de gallo, lettuce and tzatziki sauce. I wonder how peggy hill would've handled pronouncing that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's gringo taco night. got those old el pasos warming in the oven right now

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
get the coteeja out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/baingan-bharta-recipe-punjabi-baingan-bharta-recipe/

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/aloo-baingan-masala-recipe/

Almighty Ken
Nov 5, 2006

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
prep day with mom for Christmas dinner. we made 116 beef, sausage and spinach with parmesan and pecorino cheese ravioli. into the freezer until Christmas.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i went to a south asian grocer in town and bought so many spices to make vindaloo for the first time and it cost about as much as an entree and an app at my normal indian spot, so even if i wind up loving it up, ill still won't have even made a dent in the giant bag full of stuff i bought and i can just make it 100 times until i get it right. wish me luck

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

i went to a south asian grocer in town and bought so many spices to make vindaloo for the first time and it cost about as much as an entree and an app at my normal indian spot, so even if i wind up loving it up, ill still won't have even made a dent in the giant bag full of stuff i bought and i can just make it 100 times until i get it right. wish me luck

getting ingredients for Indian and Indian-adjacent dishes rocks, I've got so much achar masala at my house and my _____ achari is prob awful to anyone who can actually cook Indian but it scratches the itch for me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I totally hosed up a batch of peanut brittle a couple days ago but who cares it's basically free. made two more batches after and I'm munchin'

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I got a craving for vienna sausages in aspic and I don't think they make it anymore. all I'm seeing is the inferior in broth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

I got a craving for vienna sausages in aspic and I don't think they make it anymore. all I'm seeing is the inferior in broth

just put them in the fridge for a bit

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

This is violence

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh wow i made AITA

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Would.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

she is really stewing on that date

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I loled

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you may think it's sexy that i taste my stew every fifteen minutes via stopwatch, but i assure you there is nothing sensual about thoroughly-cooked potatoes, ma'am

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I know most of those are fake and that one def is but it's rare they get an actual reaction from me.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

is a deep dish pizza easy to make? the last good place around here has gone COMPLETELY WOKE....

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lpzie posted:

is a deep dish pizza easy to make? the last good place around here has gone COMPLETELY WOKE....

i dont know but sicilian/detroit pizza is easy

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lpzie posted:

do you have a decent cast iron pan with tall sides? if so, yeah, it's not too bad. if you don't have one, you should get one provided you can afford to part with $30-50 or keep an eye on thrift shops

maybe you can make it in a pyrex baking dish, but ive never tried it

sorry about #wokepizza, we live in a sick society

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lpzie posted:

do this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_KCLeG9Hwo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I hate that guy's mannerisms but his recipes are actually S-tier :(

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ty shmm and others.... will update when relevant

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
[cooking] oh sorry I was thinking about my stew again