Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

I figure it is ich. I bought a new guppy and plant thanksgiving week. And they could have brought it in/stressed the neons.

I already cranked it up to max this morning, so it's too late to go slow. Unfortunately it's only getting up to 85. I have an old heater that I'm considering cleaning up a bit and putting in with the current one to see if I can get it higher. I also thought that I might be able to raise it by wrapping the tank in a blanket, but that seems fiddly and since the heater is thermostat controlled it would likely just mean that the heater turns on less.

I was considering pulling the plants/snails/shrimp out and putting them in a tub and treating with salt or even one of the non snails/shrimp safe medicines. But while the fish still have spots, they are duller than they were yesterday/this morning and there doesn't seem to be any new spots.

This is the worst one and the picture honestly looks worse than it does in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

I figure it is ich. I bought a new guppy and plant thanksgiving week. And they could have brought it in/stressed the neons.

I already cranked it up to max this morning, so it's too late to go slow. Unfortunately it's only getting up to 85. I have an old heater that I'm considering cleaning up a bit and putting in with the current one to see if I can get it higher. I also thought that I might be able to raise it by wrapping the tank in a blanket, but that seems fiddly and since the heater is thermostat controlled it would likely just mean that the heater turns on less.

I was considering pulling the plants/snails/shrimp out and putting them in a tub and treating with salt or even one of the non snails/shrimp safe medicines. But while the fish still have spots, they are duller than they were yesterday/this morning and there doesn't seem to be any new spots.

This is the worst one and the picture honestly looks worse than it does in person.

Did you not quarantine? Your risk here is there is some kind of disease you can’t see that’s stressing them and causing the ich to appear. Most of us have probably made this mistake, but this is why you always quarantine.

Ich is a cycle thing. The spots will halt, stay for a few days, then almost all disappear. But what’s really happening is they’re just falling off as part of their lifecycle, and if the underlying cause isn’t fixed they’ll reappear in a few days. IMO any fish showing any ich signs are at risk here. You could always attempt to fix it by quarantining only the fish showing ich.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did you not quarantine? Your risk here is there is some kind of disease you can’t see that’s stressing them and causing the ich to appear. Most of us have probably made this mistake, but this is why you always quarantine.

Ich is a cycle thing. The spots will halt, stay for a few days, then almost all disappear. But what’s really happening is they’re just falling off as part of their lifecycle, and if the underlying cause isn’t fixed they’ll reappear in a few days. IMO any fish showing any ich signs are at risk here. You could always attempt to fix it by quarantining only the fish showing ich.

I only have a single 10 gallon tank, so I don't really have a place for quarantining. I guess I could go buy another tank setup, but other than this guppy, I really didn't plan on getting any more fish until the residents of this tank died of old age.

Doubling my amount of home setups for quarantining a single fish didn't seem like a great buy/use of storage. In total, I have 4 neon tetras, either 2 or 3 pygmy cory cats (depending on the fate of the one having trouble yesterday), and a guppy. It's not exactly a big setup with expensive animals. So I didn't have much to protect. I guess I'm paying for it now. But, by buying the aeration setup yesterday I've already spent more on trying to save these guys than it would take to replace them all. And I don't mean to be callous, but as a teacher with a kid and a mortgage, I'm not exactly rolling in cash here.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Prof. Banks posted:

2 or 3 pygmy cory cats

Just found him while trimming back plants. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am still amazed to this day that I got away without quarantining for years. When I had a disease outbreak because I "qt'd" fish from two different sources together, something snapped, and I must have cross contaminated because I lost all of my L260 plecos (6 of them, almost breeding size), my African bullhead catfish (6 or 7 of them, also breeding size), hillstream loaches, and a bunch of tatia catfish. Most of these you can't get anymore.

At the same time I had an outbreak in another tank that I was sure was related, but it was really my calvus cichlids just murdering the other cichlids, but that didn't stop me from tripping the circuit breaker in the house many times trying to get all the tanks heated to the needed degrees, plus all the new air equipment.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I use a plastic storage container for quarantining. They’re great bc they’re easy to pack away when not in use

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

I only have a single 10 gallon tank, so I don't really have a place for quarantining. I guess I could go buy another tank setup, but other than this guppy, I really didn't plan on getting any more fish until the residents of this tank died of old age.

Doubling my amount of home setups for quarantining a single fish didn't seem like a great buy/use of storage. In total, I have 4 neon tetras, either 2 or 3 pygmy cory cats (depending on the fate of the one having trouble yesterday), and a guppy. It's not exactly a big setup with expensive animals. So I didn't have much to protect. I guess I'm paying for it now. But, by buying the aeration setup yesterday I've already spent more on trying to save these guys than it would take to replace them all. And I don't mean to be callous, but as a teacher with a kid and a mortgage, I'm not exactly rolling in cash here.

With fish that small, take a larger food storage container or other bin, and just change the water more frequently and keep it in there 2 or 3 weeks. 1-2 tiny fish will be fine with no filter and reasonable, extremely easy water changes. If you’re extra worried, at the end of 2-3 weeks you can throw one other fish from the main tank for a week in there justttttt to make sure. poo poo even a clean bucket is fine.

A whole second quarantine setup would be for high stock tanks or when you’re buying a lot at once or breeding and such.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I have a small nano sponge filter in my 10g quarantine setup and that seems to work. Just had to let the water cycle a bit before putting fish in.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

I guess I could transfer the fish to a plastic container I have. Treat them with normal ich meds. Keep the snails and shrimp in the tank and keep it at high temperature. Let the ich run through its life cycle and die off in the tank through a lack of hosts and die off in the QT bin through meds.

I do have an old heater and the air pump I got is stout enough to be split and aerate both simultaneously. I think all I'd have to go buy for that plan is meds and a sponge filter, so that's doable.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Prof. Banks posted:

I guess I could transfer the fish to a plastic container I have. Treat them with normal ich meds. Keep the snails and shrimp in the tank and keep it at high temperature. Let the ich run through its life cycle and die off in the tank through a lack of hosts and die off in the QT bin through meds.

I do have an old heater and the air pump I got is stout enough to be split and aerate both simultaneously. I think all I'd have to go buy for that plan is meds and a sponge filter, so that's doable.

If you remove all the livestock (and treat them) in a plastic container you can crank that temperature up pretty safely to kill the ich in the tank before putting them back in.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

After threatening to build a Betta tank a while back when I posted my nano riparium I actually got myself in gear and did it. Ended up building a 45 litre high tech, with an emmersed section of course!

It's still growing in and a chunk of my Monte carlo carpet towards the back melted during the cycling nitrite spike, but it's coming along. Eventually the sedge should become around 30cm or so tall and the creeping jenny will trail across a lot of the water.

Stem plants are regrowing from a big trim in this crappy photo but you get the general idea

Plants are:
Monte Carlo
S Repens
Limnophilia Heterophylla
Ludwigia mini super red
Some red root floaters that I might get rid of
Creeping jenny
Dwarf blue sedge

Current inhabitants are this cute Betta

And a bunch of amano shrimp

I'm sure artier photos will follow once things are a bit more established, but I wanted to share my progress.

CaptainTofu fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 9, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CaptainTofu posted:

After threatening to build a Betta tank a while back when I posted my nano riparium I actually got myself in gear and did it. Ended up building a 45 litre high tech, with an emmersed section of course!

It's still growing in and a chunk of my Monte carlo carpet towards the back melted during the cycling nitrite spike, but it's coming along. Eventually the sedge should become around 30cm or so tall and the creeping jenny will trail across a lot of the water.

Stem plants are regrowing from a big trim in this crappy photo but you get the general idea

Plants are:
Montero Carlo
S Repens
Limnophilia Heterophylla
Ludwigia mini super red
Creeping jenny
Dwarf blue sedge

I'm sure artier photos will follow once things are a bit more established, but I wanted to share my progress.

Ooooh, well done!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
has anybody tried sprouting rice in an aquarium?

the internet tells me it can be done

trying to mess around with a paddy biotope

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

CaptainTofu posted:

Plants are:
Montero Carlo
S Repens
Limnophilia Heterophylla
Ludwigia mini super red
Creeping jenny
Dwarf blue sedge

Very nice.

Hefty general aquatic hospital has been set up. They are really unsure about the sponge filter, but otherwise they seem to be doing fine.

I had to disassemble my hardscape a bit to catch them out, but the tank is not completely wrecked.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

CaptainTofu posted:

Plants are:
Montero Carlo
S Repens
Limnophilia Heterophylla
Ludwigia mini super red
Creeping jenny
Dwarf blue sedge

Nice scape.

Here’s mine after finally mowing the neglected Monte Carlo lawn:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

Very nice.

Hefty general aquatic hospital has been set up. They are really unsure about the sponge filter, but otherwise they seem to be doing fine.

I had to disassemble my hardscape a bit to catch them out, but the tank is not completely wrecked.

Nice job. Should be much easier to manage.

After you're done with it, if you give the sponge filter a good sanitize (to clear meds/disease) and keep it running in your main tank at all times, you now have an instant, cycled quarantine tank.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

I feel like one tetra is breathing much more rapidly than normal, but otherwise they seem to still be doing ok today. I checked parameters and they are all at 0 ppm for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Though, I haven't fed them since Thursday. I was unsure about it, but I guess as long as I'm careful to not overdo it and to keep on top of checking the water, I should be ok to give them a bit, right?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Actually, that tetra really isn't looking good. It's having trouble keeping itself horizontal and keeps tipping nose-up.

The guppy also seems to be chasing the tetras and fin nipping. I assume that is stress/food related. So I went ahead and fed them. I'm also going to see what I can do to give them all some cover, so they can hide a little.

Edit: he's now getting stuck in the java moss/guppy grass I threw in there to give them cover. Doesn't look good. :(

Edit 2: video of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUP300C-_nk

Edit 3: it died. :(

Prof. Banks fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 10, 2023

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

rip in peace little neon

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got a HOB to attempt to polish the water a little bit and increase the size of surface area for beneficial bacteria (intake foam filter+ apparently you can "mod" them by adding additional large cell foam below the main foam block in the hopper)

I added two amano shrimp almost two weeks ago and the HOB about a week ago and the water has been really clear

Seems like the hair algae has been picking up the slack though. I did a mechanical removal of hair algae right before I put the shrimp in and it seems to have bounced right back

1) thinking about adding a pothos devil's ivy plant to suck up additional nutrients
2) HOB seems to be fundamentally incompatible with small floating plants: do I need to wall it off with some floating airline or what

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I got a HOB to attempt to polish the water a little bit and increase the size of surface area for beneficial bacteria (intake foam filter+ apparently you can "mod" them by adding additional large cell foam below the main foam block in the hopper)

I added two amano shrimp almost two weeks ago and the HOB about a week ago and the water has been really clear

Seems like the hair algae has been picking up the slack though. I did a mechanical removal of hair algae right before I put the shrimp in and it seems to have bounced right back

1) thinking about adding a pothos devil's ivy plant to suck up additional nutrients
2) HOB seems to be fundamentally incompatible with small floating plants: do I need to wall it off with some floating airline or what

1) a Pothos cutting works quite well, especially tucked into the HOB reservoir and given plenty of light. Just be prepared to trim its roots once in a great while to keep it from jamming up the motor.
2) Yes a little DIY barrier of airline tubing works. You could also make a little "baffling" out of foam or whatever to disperse the outlet flow enough that it doesn't disturb the plants. Or depending on the filter model you can just keep the water level in the tank topped up enough that there isn't enough of a "drop" from the outflow to suck any plants under the waterline. I just keep mine full enough that the current just pushes plants away from it on the surface.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i know playsand is bad for marine sands, but other than the rocky sand mix I see in lfs, is there anything else I could use for an asterina 10 gallon tank?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently coarse sandblasting media "black diamond sand" (sold at tractor supply Co in 50# bags) is coal slag from steel and copper refineries/smelting, and I guess people really like it for aquariums it's inert

Edit: apparently it comes in fine and coarse, the fine stuff is way way way too fine and will eat up your pumps, but the coarse stuff is great but you still need to wash the heck out of it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 17, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

There are little 3d printed floating plant barriers you can buy to section it off from the floaters. They work decently well. You can definitely add foam and filter media to almost any hob filter. Little baggie of filter rings or seachem matrix goes a long way.

On a side note I tried out the green water labs algae treatment stuff and while it's pricey it definitely seems to work. Has not killed my shrimp/fish/snails in a month and a half.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 17, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you link me to some STLs

Yeah I bought some aquarium coop "easy carbon" from my LFS and added my first dose two days ago, just did another dose just now. I've been hesitant to start using it as I wanted to let the HOB seed with beneficial bacteria and not stress out the new amano shrimp too much (easy carbon is 1.5% glutaraldehyde, which I guess is a medical grade disinfectant that works by cross linking proteins, supposedly)

Gonna stick with the easy carbon campaign for a month while he amanos begin to grow out, if that's not having any effect I'll give the green water labs stuff a try

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Apparently coarse sandblasting media "black diamond sand" (sold at tractor supply Co in 50# bags) is coal slag from steel and copper refineries/smelting, and I guess people really like it for aquariums it's inert

Edit: apparently it comes in fine and coarse, the fine stuff is way way way too fine and will eat up your pumps, but the coarse stuff is great but you still need to wash the heck out of it

sweet i have like 30 pounds of that since i use it for my freshwater tanks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I just reread your post I don't have any specific information about sand for saltwater aquariums, but, it's probably fine?

Also here's a most recent shot of my rice fish/shrimp tank. It's grossly overstocked with ~30 juvenile rice fish but they and the tank seem healthy, the plan is to move them over to a... 40 breeder maybe? 30 long? In like February

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 17, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Oh I just reread your post I don't have any specific information about sand for saltwater aquariums, but, it's probably fine?

Also here's a most recent shot of my rice fish/shrimp tank. It's grossly overstocked with ~30 juvenile rice fish but they and the tank seem healthy, the plan is to move them over to a... 40 breeder maybe? 30 long? In like February

how are ricefish with shrimp?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When I tried adding yellow neocardinias (and 50 ghost shrimp, r.i.p.) to my above ground pond with zero cover, they were all eaten within about 15 minutes of being added to the pond. A few managed to survive long enough to find cover in the floating plants but not for long. So rice fish are definitely not shrimp safe. I'll keep the shrimp in the 10 gallon when I move the rice fish to a bigger tank

Right now the flame Cherry shrimp in there, the two largest adults anyways, are equal in size to the largest rice fish, so the shrimp aren't really under any immediate threat

I've seen the rice fish chase my baby amano shrimp periodically when they stray into a contested corner territory, but I haven't seen the fish actually be a threat to them yet

Edit: slightly different angle of the moss pile. Not sure where all the shrimp went, probably somewhere in the middle

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 17, 2023

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Hadlock posted:

That’s what I use

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I might just get regular marine sand to be safe.

Question: this is something I have noticed in many of my freshwater tanks, despite squeezing out the sponge filters: the air flow in them goes to nothing if they're actually sitting at the bottom of the tank. Free floating/held midtank by driftwood, they bubble fine out the bottom mostly, but some from the top. I've taken them apart and cleaned every piece so there's no blockage.

Do I just need stronger/newer pumps? These are pretty big sponges but this issue has only started recently.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Could be the part where the air comes out inside the filter is a little clogged or if it's an air stone it might need cleaning or replacing. Or another thing that reduces the effective flow from a pump is if the rubber diaphragm part becomes perished or split, those bits are replaceable. I can't think of anything else aside from a restriction or kink somewhere in your airline that could make a previously adequate pump unable to overcome the water pressure low in the tank. I've shut the lid and pinched an airline that many times now it's one of the first things I check.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Right now the flame Cherry shrimp in there, the two largest adults anyways, are equal in size to the largest rice fish, so the shrimp aren't really under any immediate threat

Case in point

And

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 20, 2023

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

edit: nevermind

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 20, 2023

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Killing any animal because you don't want it any more is really abhorrent behaviour.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I have been fighting some kind of stringy algae in my pond for a few months now, and last week or so remembered I had a bottle of some kind of pond clear product that had come in the pond kit so dosed some of that a few times. It has a phosphate binder and I’m fairly convinced the eutrophication of my pond is due to bird poop from local wildlife drinking my pond water. It didn’t nuke the algae outright but it did seem to loosen it enough to make it a lot easier to knock free from the pond plants and then remove from the skimmer. I did originally think the skimmer would be overkill for a little pond like mine but it’s really made cleaning the pond so much easier, the flow in the pond is its own pond vacuum and the skimmer is so easy to empty, and even with the fish-friendly changes I had to make like removing the weir float flapper door thing it hasn’t stopped the skimmer from being very effective. Anyway once I got the algae dislodged I realised that the bacopa I had planted along the edge of the pond had significantly advanced in its growth and was easily a foot wider/deeper into the pond than where I wanted it to be.

It took me a couple of hours to prune it back and reclaim that edge of the pond, to start with it had grown into a little haven for baby fish and other pond life but as I pulled it out I found it to be a solid mass of fine roots with no room for baby fish, tadpoles or even water flow so I think this stagnant zone was contributing to the algae growth. Now that I know how serious the bacopa roots can be, I will trim it back much more frequently. But I also know a good thing when I see it so I’ve transplanted some of the solid sheets of bacopa into the top of my bog filter. The bacopa had taken over the whole top terrace of my pond and now there’s so much more clear swimming room and better flow all through the pond. I left a little bit dangling so there should still be cover for tadpoles and frogs at the very edge.

The local town council set up a giant hole in the ground some time before 2003 in theory as an environment for storm water overflow treatment and to attract birds and other wildlife and by now it has become established as a proper recreational area and man made wetland. When we first moved to this house, which is a couple of hundred meters from the wetland, the water hadn’t built up much so it would dry out and get stinky and anoxic in warm weather and mosquitoes were somewhat of a problem. As it became more established and the reed beds grew in and water level built up, the smell went away and I didn’t really notice but the mosquito problem went away too. It turns out that the local council isn’t totally silly and they have stocked these wetlands with a native fish species, this week we had a family outing to the wetland and there are thousands of these fish apparently doing very well in the stormwater overflow. When I saw them I thought maybe gambusia had somehow got into the ponds but my dad was able to find an article on the council website about the addition of the fish. The thing that I found most interesting about this is that I would have expected the water to be fairly saline, we are a coastal town and the salt in the soil rises to the surface all around that wetland area and the local plants are salt tolerant. I don’t think we get enough rain to stop the salt from periodically becoming concentrated in that water. So I was puzzled as to which fish species would cope in that kind of environment - as it turns out I think they have used the Lake Eyre hardyhead which is a fish that can live in waters from completely fresh water to salinities of 110ppt (comparing to sea water 38ppt) so of course they are completely fine in the salty stormwater run-off. I am very tempted to try to scoop some of these hardyheads into a bucket to plop into my pond so I have been researching the legality of it. Does it count as recreational fishing? They’re not a protected species at least. I had wanted to get some flyspecked hardyheads through more legit means for my pond but decided against it as they are tropical and I think winter gets too temperate here for that to be a healthy environment for them. But these lake eyre hardyheads are only from a little further north than here so the climate should be close. And something else I noticed while I was researching these fish is that hardyheads are a kind of silverside, and many silversides are marine fish. And it makes sense that these fish are related because central Australia was once underwater, at first from the Eromanga Sea and then later a big inland lake that really only shrank to become ephemeral salt lakes around 50,000 years ago. And so these relatives of marine fish became able to cope with fairly extreme environmental changes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the storm water comes in at the top left, passes over a course of large rocks which filter out bigger solids, and then seep from pond to pond until reaching the main pond where the fish live. There’s an overflow to the bottom right which goes under the main highway and runs out into the salt flats south of town, which I think is an interesting ecosystem in its own right, now that there is an area that experiences periodic water flows.

This wetland area covers about 10 hectares, I don’t know what that is in freedom units (and I don’t know what it is in meters either) but I can’t help but think it’s a bit mean to kidnap fish from such a large body of water to put in my 1000 liter pond. Maybe it’s better if I just visit them down the street every now and then.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mean as long as they got room, they'll probably be fine. Not like shoving an oscar in a 20 long or something.

Why do all my lfs have crappy live rock or no live rock or aiptasia?

Meanwhile I picked up a $30 rock at Petco that is covered in purple coralline algae. An emerald crab refused to leave it, so the worker said I got him free. There was a second crab hiding in a crevice. And three snails.

And possibly another crab post molt cause he is alll white.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

I have been fighting some kind of stringy algae in my pond for a few months now, and last week or so remembered I had a bottle of some kind of pond clear product that had come in the pond kit so dosed some of that a few times. It has a phosphate binder and I’m fairly convinced the eutrophication of my pond is due to bird poop from local wildlife drinking my pond water. It didn’t nuke the algae outright but it did seem to loosen it enough to make it a lot easier to knock free from the pond plants and then remove from the skimmer. I did originally think the skimmer would be overkill for a little pond like mine but it’s really made cleaning the pond so much easier, the flow in the pond is its own pond vacuum and the skimmer is so easy to empty, and even with the fish-friendly changes I had to make like removing the weir float flapper door thing it hasn’t stopped the skimmer from being very effective. Anyway once I got the algae dislodged I realised that the bacopa I had planted along the edge of the pond had significantly advanced in its growth and was easily a foot wider/deeper into the pond than where I wanted it to be.

It took me a couple of hours to prune it back and reclaim that edge of the pond, to start with it had grown into a little haven for baby fish and other pond life but as I pulled it out I found it to be a solid mass of fine roots with no room for baby fish, tadpoles or even water flow so I think this stagnant zone was contributing to the algae growth. Now that I know how serious the bacopa roots can be, I will trim it back much more frequently. But I also know a good thing when I see it so I’ve transplanted some of the solid sheets of bacopa into the top of my bog filter. The bacopa had taken over the whole top terrace of my pond and now there’s so much more clear swimming room and better flow all through the pond. I left a little bit dangling so there should still be cover for tadpoles and frogs at the very edge.

The local town council set up a giant hole in the ground some time before 2003 in theory as an environment for storm water overflow treatment and to attract birds and other wildlife and by now it has become established as a proper recreational area and man made wetland. When we first moved to this house, which is a couple of hundred meters from the wetland, the water hadn’t built up much so it would dry out and get stinky and anoxic in warm weather and mosquitoes were somewhat of a problem. As it became more established and the reed beds grew in and water level built up, the smell went away and I didn’t really notice but the mosquito problem went away too. It turns out that the local council isn’t totally silly and they have stocked these wetlands with a native fish species, this week we had a family outing to the wetland and there are thousands of these fish apparently doing very well in the stormwater overflow. When I saw them I thought maybe gambusia had somehow got into the ponds but my dad was able to find an article on the council website about the addition of the fish. The thing that I found most interesting about this is that I would have expected the water to be fairly saline, we are a coastal town and the salt in the soil rises to the surface all around that wetland area and the local plants are salt tolerant. I don’t think we get enough rain to stop the salt from periodically becoming concentrated in that water. So I was puzzled as to which fish species would cope in that kind of environment - as it turns out I think they have used the Lake Eyre hardyhead which is a fish that can live in waters from completely fresh water to salinities of 110ppt (comparing to sea water 38ppt) so of course they are completely fine in the salty stormwater run-off. I am very tempted to try to scoop some of these hardyheads into a bucket to plop into my pond so I have been researching the legality of it. Does it count as recreational fishing? They’re not a protected species at least. I had wanted to get some flyspecked hardyheads through more legit means for my pond but decided against it as they are tropical and I think winter gets too temperate here for that to be a healthy environment for them. But these lake eyre hardyheads are only from a little further north than here so the climate should be close. And something else I noticed while I was researching these fish is that hardyheads are a kind of silverside, and many silversides are marine fish. And it makes sense that these fish are related because central Australia was once underwater, at first from the Eromanga Sea and then later a big inland lake that really only shrank to become ephemeral salt lakes around 50,000 years ago. And so these relatives of marine fish became able to cope with fairly extreme environmental changes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the storm water comes in at the top left, passes over a course of large rocks which filter out bigger solids, and then seep from pond to pond until reaching the main pond where the fish live. There’s an overflow to the bottom right which goes under the main highway and runs out into the salt flats south of town, which I think is an interesting ecosystem in its own right, now that there is an area that experiences periodic water flows.

This wetland area covers about 10 hectares, I don’t know what that is in freedom units (and I don’t know what it is in meters either) but I can’t help but think it’s a bit mean to kidnap fish from such a large body of water to put in my 1000 liter pond. Maybe it’s better if I just visit them down the street every now and then.

Maybe see if you can get info from the council about their stock supplier?
There may even be a chance of a mosquito reduction program where the gov supplies fish to folks with standing bodies of water. ( I've heard rumor of such programs)1

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 23, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would not worry about scooping six or ten fish out of a 5 acre retention pond

Fishing licenses are for protecting game and food species from overfishing and commercial exploitation. It sounds like these aren't endangered in any way, plus they're a maximum of 3.5" so they're not a food source. I would not hesitate to scoop a bunch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/gmy_WKKHzME?si=tQBSkvnkzZgZN1VL

pro click