Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
There's no dogs on the roof when the red armor colonel sanders guys are there so I think the boss fight in question is the purple poison ninja + a regular purple ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Wamsutta posted:

Ashija Castle 2.0 is an entire rear end nightmare, the number of not just enemies but basically miniboss tier enemies everywhere is overwhelming, I’m legit just running away from stuff at this point. I can’t take on 2 sword spinkick samurai’s at once. Yet another case where I wish stealth was more useful and killing one guy didn’t immediately alert the whole fuckin continent to your presence

Edit: oh seconds after posting this I really did find a boss encounter that’s two of those guys. gently caress this for real

so, yeah, this whole thing is a lesson in using your ninjutsu and ninja tools correctly. shuriken the dogs, always. the finger whistle and judicious positioning will ensure you can get some free kills if you're creative enough (when was the last time you used your deathblow from under a ledge?), and puppeteer is helpful to the point of being mandatory. stealth sugar when necessary.

also, it's a good time to build your fundamentals. there are gonna be more kickninjas, both garden variety and the ones that dont wash their hands.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
The ninjas in this game are legit some of my fave enemies to fight. Once you figure em out it’s a beautiful dance. And if you didn’t know that kick they do can be mikiri’d

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Boy of Joy posted:

The ninjas in this game are legit some of my fave enemies to fight. Once you figure em out it’s a beautiful dance. And if you didn’t know that kick they do can be mikiri’d

and for their other unblockable you can also press the mikiri input and roll your control stick slightly to the left and dodge behind their sweep and get a back hit or two on them

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Ashija Castle 2.0 is an entire rear end nightmare, the number of not just enemies but basically miniboss tier enemies everywhere is overwhelming, I’m legit just running away from stuff at this point. I can’t take on 2 sword spinkick samurai’s at once. Yet another case where I wish stealth was more useful and killing one guy didn’t immediately alert the whole fuckin continent to your presence

Edit: oh seconds after posting this I really did find a boss encounter that’s two of those guys. gently caress this for real

I was gonna suggest using Divine Abduction to Puppeteer one of the purple ninjas, but I can't remember if that lets you deathblow them or not

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mymla posted:

Every time I think I've seen the worst opinion, I'm surprised by something even wronger.

turn on ur monitor

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the one thing holding Sekiro back from being unequivocally the best fromsoft game is that you're a dex build. give me something as tightly designed as this but your primary tool is a giant hammer instead of a katana and you'll be knocking up against perfection

e: i unironically wanna play as this guy

snicker turn off y- snort turn off your- heehee turn off your monitaaaaaahahhahhaha

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

fat-shaming is rude. weeb-shaming is just common sense. yet another win for STR builds

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Owl Shinobi fight hahahahaha how on earth is this doable? I can’t build stagger for poo poo even with managing to deflect most attacks, if he hits me twice I’m dead (sometimes once), firecrackers, fast as hell huge range

I am stubborn as hell so I’m not going to quit until I finish but I am immediately deleting and moving on. I get why people like it but it isn’t for me. This game has been a chore except during the brief windows where it felt like I knew what I was doing. Combat is just about memorizing button input timings and attack patterns and repetition, there’s no room to do your own thing, no builds, no weapons, no way to level up if you’re struggling. Exploring is underwhelming because the loot doesn’t matter outside of prayer beads and gourd seeds. Without leveling and weapon upgrades the only thing that makes this a Souls-like is a bonfire-type system and insane difficulty. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Keep in mind that enemy stagger recovery gets slower the more damaged their health is. With early bosses you can mostly ignore this but later in the game it pays to focus on damage until they're down to about 50% health and then switch over to mostly deflects -- and this is especially true if you're not completely confident in being able to deflect everything perfectly yet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wamsutta posted:

Owl Shinobi fight hahahahaha how on earth is this doable? I can’t build stagger for poo poo even with managing to deflect most attacks, if he hits me twice I’m dead (sometimes once), firecrackers, fast as hell huge range

I am stubborn as hell so I’m not going to quit until I finish but I am immediately deleting and moving on. I get why people like it but it isn’t for me. This game has been a chore except during the brief windows where it felt like I knew what I was doing. Combat is just about memorizing button input timings and attack patterns and repetition, there’s no room to do your own thing, no builds, no weapons, no way to level up if you’re struggling. Exploring is underwhelming because the loot doesn’t matter outside of prayer beads and gourd seeds. Without leveling and weapon upgrades the only thing that makes this a Souls-like is a bonfire-type system and insane difficulty. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Highly recommend the forward stab move against him, makes the fight really quick.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Just completed the Owl fight in Lady Butterfly's arena on attempt #9 I think, no deaths on final attempt, that might be my new favorite, every move of his you can punish in one way or another. He makes castle Owl look like he's taking his sweet time

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

turn on ur monitor

I'm definitely a dex build enjoyer, but I think that's BECAUSE of Sekiro. I'm sure a str build game could show me the light.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm definitely a dex build enjoyer, but I think that's BECAUSE of Sekiro. I'm sure a str build game could show me the light.

I mean yeah, it'd have to be almost unrecognizable. In the same way Sekiro takes the basics of parrying, stealth, and mobility as a defensive tool and both elaborates on them and polishes them to a mirror shine, I'd like to see From do that with stagger, hyper-armor trades, and spacing.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Pit Owl is easier and more fun than Castle Owl because you can stay on top him for entire minutes without him disengaging with a toolbag of dirty tricks.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Wamsutta posted:

This isnt my best fight but it might give you ideas how to deal with his attacks

https://youtu.be/pyUKtlUimFk?si=fXHoRqQRVQav9317

Most of his moves are pretty easy to deflect and leaves a lot of big openings. This was recorded on hard mode.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

WaltherFeng posted:

This isnt my best fight but it might give you ideas how to deal with his attacks

Most of his moves are pretty easy to deflect and leaves a lot of big openings. This was recorded on hard mode.
Impressive pressure & parrying during phase 1, but maybe not a good guide to someone just learning the fight -_-

Wamsutta posted:

I just got over him last week, a few thoughts... Use a thrust attack such as a spear or combat art rush on him. I mean that unironically, just so you get to get to see the animation of him punishing you... and hopefully get beat into your head that all of Wolf's basic tricks Owl does better. So don't play footsies with a guy whose sword is 2x your length and runs faster. Any prosthetics should be the oddball variety, such as the feather or the umbrella, or maybe put the emblems towards mortal draw. Most/all of his moves/combos have very big gaps at the end where you can punish before he scampers off, alternatively if your deflect game is on point you can stand toe-to-toe like in the above video (first half). If you have to try and play footsies with him, try Ichigo-double as you jump in, as it can clear your poise bar while keeping his up. I mostly used floating passage to open with for the guaranteed chip and baiting of his easy counterattacks, ichigo to finish the job, and mortal draw for the second half. I'll reiterate what others said; all of his combos end in a huge pause with can be punished, which is pretty much exactly how dark souls combat works anyways.

That comment about the loot not mattering... did you do the Sichimen warrior? Can't tell me that loot wasn't game changing. Also a bunch of optional bosses drop passive buffs, such as +poise on deathblow etc. As others have said, the Sekiro experience is a lot more tightly tailored as they didn't have to try and make a bunch of milquetoast decisions to accommodate archers, mages, shieldboys and dodgeboys all at once.

I'll warn you right now that there's another, easier, boss right after Owl, but after that formality the game opens back up again.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Way more pressure than I can keep on him. I need to start trying the mist raven thing

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I love dad

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Thanks for posting this, it was really cool to watch but I 100% can't do that, lmao. Also, hard mode? Is there an easy mode I can enable? I didn't think From games had difficulty settings and I certainly can't find it in Sekiro.

Serephina posted:

Impressive pressure & parrying during phase 1, but maybe not a good guide to someone just learning the fight -_-

I just got over him last week, a few thoughts... Use a thrust attack such as a spear or combat art rush on him. I mean that unironically, just so you get to get to see the animation of him punishing you... and hopefully get beat into your head that all of Wolf's basic tricks Owl does better. So don't play footsies with a guy whose sword is 2x your length and runs faster. Any prosthetics should be the oddball variety, such as the feather or the umbrella, or maybe put the emblems towards mortal draw. Most/all of his moves/combos have very big gaps at the end where you can punish before he scampers off, alternatively if your deflect game is on point you can stand toe-to-toe like in the above video (first half). If you have to try and play footsies with him, try Ichigo-double as you jump in, as it can clear your poise bar while keeping his up. I mostly used floating passage to open with for the guaranteed chip and baiting of his easy counterattacks, ichigo to finish the job, and mortal draw for the second half. I'll reiterate what others said; all of his combos end in a huge pause with can be punished, which is pretty much exactly how dark souls combat works anyways.

That comment about the loot not mattering... did you do the Sichimen warrior? Can't tell me that loot wasn't game changing. Also a bunch of optional bosses drop passive buffs, such as +poise on deathblow etc. As others have said, the Sekiro experience is a lot more tightly tailored as they didn't have to try and make a bunch of milquetoast decisions to accommodate archers, mages, shieldboys and dodgeboys all at once.

I'll warn you right now that there's another, easier, boss right after Owl, but after that formality the game opens back up again.

You've mentioned Shichimen warrior a few times now, I killed the one in the Abandoned Dungeon and I gotta be honest, I don't even remember him dropping anything let alone anything good, could I have forgotten to pick something up maybe? I found another Shichimen warrior but decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just left when I found it, same way I think of the Headless.

I've never used the raven feathers at all, I'll try it, but I'm at the stage where I will now have to farm to buy emblems because I died so many times to Owl that I've completely run out. In Bloodborne I used the cum dungeon to buy infinite blood vials to avoid this sort of bullshit and I wish I could skip it with Sekiro too. Having to farm to keep attempting a really hard fight is just not fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hard mode is apparently a NG+ thing, you can see the effect where he accidentally does a normal block insead of a parry and loses a 3rd of his health bar for that sin. I can't wait!!

The Sichimen warrior drops an item that spits out free emblems; 5x3=15 per rest. Costs hp, roughly a flask's worth, but 3 less flask charges for unlimited goof-off energy when running around is a great trade. Potentially less useful for boss fights, but by then hopefully the saving's already kicked in and you have surplus. I also bought both +loot skills from the Temple Arts tree and keep the Demon Bell active during non-boss (or miniboss) fights. Been tripping over money and emblems as a matter of habit, I don't even remember to pop the balloons most of the time, and have even been using Sen Throw unironically. It's not very good, lol.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

I've never used the raven feathers at all, I'll try it, but I'm at the stage where I will now have to farm to buy emblems because I died so many times to Owl that I've completely run out. In Bloodborne I used the cum dungeon to buy infinite blood vials to avoid this sort of bullshit and I wish I could skip it with Sekiro too. Having to farm to keep attempting a really hard fight is just not fun.

Every From ARPG game has at least one jank mechanic/balance problem, and the backasswards idea that Wolf shouldn’t just use FP for his ninjutsu and ninja Mega Man weapons was Sekiro’s. Well, that combined with emblems going up in cost. And really if we’re on the subject not being able to increase your maximum holdable spirit emblems by finding items analogous to beads in the overworld is a missed opportunity since there’s a relative dearth of cool poo poo to find relative to most From games where even if you’re not specced to throw lightning bolts at least that one faith spell had lore attached.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Emblems not refilling like healing gourds just adds a layer to how hostile this game is to you if you suck at it, lol. I'm what I presume to be like... 2/3? 3/4? through the game, but because I die so much (both clearing levels and vs bosses) I have no emblems, I have no sen, and now I have to farm

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Wamsutta posted:

You've mentioned Shichimen warrior a few times now, I killed the one in the Abandoned Dungeon and I gotta be honest, I don't even remember him dropping anything let alone anything good, could I have forgotten to pick something up maybe?

He's talking specifically about an item called 'Ceremonial Tanto' which should have dropped off the guy itself

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

Emblems not refilling like healing gourds just adds a layer to how hostile this game is to you if you suck at it, lol. I'm what I presume to be like... 2/3? 3/4? through the game, but because I die so much (both clearing levels and vs bosses) I have no emblems, I have no sen, and now I have to farm

If you’re in the endgame stretch the enemies near the Chained Ogre 1 gate are easy to backstab and drop like, a ton of sen/EXP relative to their difficulty in an unfair fight. I missed out on Owl 2 my first run so I can’t give advice though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Serephina posted:

Hard mode is apparently a NG+ thing, you can see the effect where he accidentally does a normal block insead of a parry and loses a 3rd of his health bar for that sin. I can't wait!!

At the start of the game, when you get Kusabimaru from Kuro he will ask if you have anything for him. If you say yes, and then give him Kuro's Charm, you will get a buff that:

1) increases the damage enemies do
2) increases health and posture of enemies
3) causes you to still take some damage when blocking (but not deflecting)
4) increases sen and experience gain
5) increases the buildup of things like poison and terror

Most people just call it hard mode because the chip damage from blocking and increased damage received (including posture on block) and increased health/posture of enemies is what attracts people. You don't have to do it.

Now I want to record an Owl fight, give me a minute.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Bell charm is another hard mode thing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Wamsutta posted:

2 tips:

Fire umbrella against firecrackers. Needs a bit of a positioning practice, so he doesn't ignite the powder behind you, but if you get it, it's an instant free health-attack immediately after if you also got Living Force or whatever the one is that imbues your attack with whatever you blocked.

Also, Ichimonji. Your Ichi is faster than his. If you see him prep Ichimonji, immediately do your own. Free health damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wish you could play this maxed out at 60 fps on the Steam Deck

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

Now I want to record an Owl fight, give me a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IWQdr6N9Y

I had to pace myself in part 2 because I think I moved too fast at first. I really wanted to show off two things in particular and I hope they come through.

First, there are several good ways to deal with his shuriken 1-2 into big overhead. You can dodge towards him to slap him in the butt once or twice - this is the safest and best way to get punish without putting yourself in a bad spot. You can also get a little closer and deflect, this will let you be close enough to get a swipe in & has the added benefit of additional posture buildup on him. Third you can run back, this gives space and opportunity to dictate the fight, it's not ideal but this is the best time in the fight to heal or pop candies.

Second, if you are not heal-blocked he will regularly try to hit you with the powder ball that will heal block you. The animation is very long, so you can easily circle around and get some health damage in, but do not go for a second attack unless you're fine with being heal blocked. The second swipe will put you in the cloud unless you have very good spacing on the first hit.

Most everything else Owl does you can block through without too much difficulty while you learn the deflect timing, but these two attacks are great ways to build health damage while you're still sussing out the fight. In his second form you'll probably have to go the distance because there's too many ways for him to break away and make it dangerous to keep the pressure up. He has a lot of posture and if he manages to restore it once you're basically locked into a health kill.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 17, 2023

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Owl was my first and only major roadblock. I put tbe game down for a couple months, came back, ground it out after another 20 or so attempts and flew through the rest of the game. He’s hard but you can do it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Chakan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzV-rP0Ya14

I had to pace myself in part 2 because I think I moved too fast at first. I really wanted to show off two things in particular and I hope they come through.

First, there are several good ways to deal with his shuriken 1-2 into big overhead. You can dodge towards him to slap him in the butt once or twice - this is the safest and best way to get punish without putting yourself in a bad spot. You can also get a little closer and deflect, this will let you be close enough to get a swipe in & has the added benefit of additional posture buildup on him. Third you can run back, this gives space and opportunity to dictate the fight, it's not ideal but this is the best time in the fight to heal or pop candies.

Second, if you are not heal-blocked he will regularly try to hit you with the powder ball that will heal block you. The animation is very long, so you can easily circle around and get some health damage in, but do not go for a second attack unless you're fine with being heal blocked. The second swipe will put you in the cloud unless you have very good spacing on the first hit.

Most everything else Owl does you can block through without too much difficulty while you learn the deflect timing, but these two attacks are great ways to build health damage while you're still sussing out the fight. In his second form you'll probably have to go the distance because there's too many ways for him to break away and make it dangerous to keep the pressure up. He has a lot of posture and if he manages to restore it once you're basically locked into a health kill.

Very clean. It's always fun to compare playstyles.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Chakan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzV-rP0Ya14

drat that was cool to watch.

Thanks for the posts everyone. I've made another 50 attempts today and only got him into the second phase once. I just don't think I've got the manual dexterity or reaction times for this. It is what it is, I'm sure I'm not the first.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Chakan posted:

Owl's two shuriken + overhead slam can be avoided by just like. a single step back after the jump animation starts which still leaves you close enough to do a whirlwind slash or 1+2 hits after a step back forward before you have to start parrying, no need to run back

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Thanks for the posts everyone. I've made another 50 attempts today and only got him into the second phase once. I just don't think I've got the manual dexterity or reaction times for this. It is what it is, I'm sure I'm not the first.

I didn't think I did either. in fact I quit playing multiplayer games by the time I hit like 23 because my reflexes can't keep up, but I was able to work through this.

My reflexes for this game have improved considerably through practice and I notice that I'm catching perilous blows or dodging sweeps that would have hit me every time a couple weeks ago. My biggest mistake on Owl was trying to run away from too many moves instead of having an answer of some kind to all of them, even if it's not a perfect answer (like just taking the hard knock back block on his single shuriken+ dash/slash). Better to eat that and let posture crawl back down than run and keep it high. took me 10 attempts to figure that out

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A lot of Sekiro is about learning tells and reacting confidently rather than pure reflexes. You will reach a point with almost every boss where certain moves make you say "oh yeah free damage". Then, over time, more and more moves fall into that category. Then you win.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Very clean. It's always fun to compare playstyles.

Yeah, I still just never think to use prosthetics or combat arts lol. I love seeing your mist raven stylings though.

Wamsutta posted:

50 is impressive, and if you get to his second phase you're probably 85% of the way to having the fight down enough to win. When I started I thought I would never be able to beat the Shinobi Hunter, then Genichiro, then the Ape, then Corrupted Monk, then Owl, then then then. Eventually I did. It will come.

I re-uploaded the video because I realized I had the render settings wrong so it wasn't very crisp initially. Because I'm playing so much, I've been thinking about putting together some contests for people to do challenge runs and boss fights. If there's interest, I'll try and have it up after the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IWQdr6N9Y

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
My first playthrough on his shuriken attack flip I'd hit him with the double ichimonji. It's a good move since you regain posture on the hit. Alternatively you can mortal draw his rear end and really apply some hurt.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

My first playthrough on his shuriken attack flip I'd hit him with the double ichimonji. It's a good move since you regain posture on the hit. Alternatively you can mortal draw his rear end and really apply some hurt.

I don't have any spirit emblems at all, lol, and it's all I can do to keep trying the boss, I absolutely will not farm. If I manage to win it's going to be without emblems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Wamsutta posted:

I don't have any spirit emblems at all, lol, and it's all I can do to keep trying the boss, I absolutely will not farm. If I manage to win it's going to be without emblems

ichimonji's free to use.