Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ohtani impressed by rapist. Cancelled!

Ohtani impressed by SLAPJACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1736198328029708334

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1736198181975650805

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

rickiep00h posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what unrelated dead celebrity pitch would actually get me to take a job. David Bowie maybe?

"Hello rickiep00h. I'm David Bowie. You may remember me from such films as The Prestige and The Last Temptation of Christ. My wife Iman and I were strolling through Midtown yesterday and we thought it would be smashing if you came to New York and work for Random House. Alright, ta, I've a plane to catch. We're having holiday in Switzerland. See you soon I hope! Remember, Random House! Good people, they say!"

David Bowie and Bing Crosby

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Angels legend Shohei Ohtani

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The mariners showed ohtani a video of Macklemore saying he should join the mariners and that made him join an NL team instead.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bregor posted:

David Bowie and Bing Crosby

I have that on 7-inch from Record Store Day and it loses a lot of its weirdness without the video.

But the video is the determining factor here anyway, so I agree.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bregor posted:

Bing Crosby

MLB? Nah. NHL? I’m listening.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I would like Jordan Montgomery to sign with the Chicago Cubs.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I dunno what that graphic is but they’re missing Justin Steele so it’s bullshit

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bregor posted:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ronald seems to be enjoying himself

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bregor posted:

Context

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
thank you for the link, it really helps reinforce how these selections are bullshit because Justin Steele is missing

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1736459441678250180

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1736463945320272251

Would have loved the Jays to do that but lol at Atkins admitting a mistake

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 17, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Fourteen million a year seems like a lot for Gurriel?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

Fourteen million a year seems like a lot for Gurriel?

Obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison, but Gurriel is a 115 OPS+ hitter to Cody Bellinger's 120 OPS+, career. Gurriel is two years older, but Bellinger's going to get a hell of a lot more than $14MM AAV.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya his floor is pretty high and it's a short term deal so it seems fair

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

That's a steal for the DBacks. They don't have a lot of right handed hitting and he fits their offensive style too

I liked him last year with Moreno.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Justin Steele among all MLB qualified pitchers in 2023:

6th in ERA
8th in xERA
5th in FIP
7th in fWAR
5th in NL Cy voting

But apparently not deserving of being named a top 10 pitcher in MLB for 2023. Okay MLB. :jerkbag:

Dude got absolutely no respect this year outside of Chicago and I hope he continues his development and absolutely shoves in 2024.

e. Also sorry not to be that guy but Ohtani doesn't belong on this list. Yeah he's the best player on the planet right now, but his 2023 pitching stats with the injury just aren't that eye-popping:
Ohtani: 132 IP, 3.18/3.45/4.00 ERA/xERA/FIP, 2.4 fWAR
Steel: 173.1 IP, 3.06/3.50/3.02 ERA/xERA/FIP, 4.9 fWAR

Yes I am extremely mad about this snub on an utterly pointless minor MLB honor. You can put it in the newspaper that I got mad.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 18, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ohtani had 4 bWar vs Steele's 3.8

Steele probably should be ahead of Eovaldi though. But Logan Webb should be ahead of both.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ohtani had 4 bWar vs Steele's 3.8

Which is baffling to me when Steele had the lower ERA, a near one run lower FIP, and a difference in xERA of like .05 with +40 IP over Ohtani. I can only assume BR's defense calculations for WAR are significantly dinging Steel (because he was backed up by a stellar Cubs defense) and boosting Ohtani (because he backed up by the no good, dogshit Angels).

Also yeah Webb is a huge snub as well.

fake e. okay yeah I have no loving clue what bref is doing with pitcher WAR right now because it says Gausman was only worth 3.4 for a 185 IP, 3.16/2.97 ERA/FIP season, which, :lol::lol::lol: Fangraphs rightly pegs him as having been a >5 WAR guy.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Ohtani is never not going on a list that he is even close to making regardless of whether he deserves it or not

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I was initially miffed by Gray not making 1st team, and I think Ohtani is the obvious guy who shouldn't be over him. After some thought, I think that's just part of being a two way player, that even for pitcher lists like this, he gets credit for doing both. He's a top pitcher who also has a phenomenal bat, which ultimately makes for one of the 5 best pitchers. There's probably a point where he pitches too few innings for that to remain true, but clearly he passed that bar in many minds this year.

Sydin posted:

Which is baffling to me when Steele had the lower ERA, a near one run lower FIP, and a difference in xERA of like .05 with +40 IP over Ohtani. I can only assume BR's defense calculations for WAR are significantly dinging Steel (because he was backed up by a stellar Cubs defense) and boosting Ohtani (because he backed up by the no good, dogshit Angels).

Also yeah Webb is a huge snub as well.

fake e. okay yeah I have no loving clue what bref is doing with pitcher WAR right now because it says Gausman was only worth 3.4 for a 185 IP, 3.16/2.97 ERA/FIP season, which, :lol::lol::lol: Fangraphs rightly pegs him as having been a >5 WAR guy.

Baseball Reference's WAR formulation does a ton, it's all explained on the page too. It's hard to argue the Gausman case in isolation, so I'll just suggest it's probably a reflection of the excess value we perceive in high end pitching. His 3.4 WAR is hardly low, and I think if you found a comparable position player, you'd likely think that player was very good too. With pitchers however, that same 3 WAR seems harder to come by, and thus feels like too little for a dude as good as Gausman imo.

And as you probably know, one thing to note is bbref uses all runs allowed as its base, while fangraphs uses FIP/peripherals. So the disparity is really not unexpected, and of course a pitcher like Gausman is going to do better in fWAR. If you think that's a better reflection of his value, I think you have a good sense of which metric you should rely on. None of the numbers you included are actually informing bbref WAR, outside innings. While the two WARs are fairly similar on position players, for pitchers they are trying to approach things two very different ways.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

assuming she's an immaculate grid fan
https://x.com/Cut4/status/1736479502144765976?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves had to straight up release Carpenter, unsurprisingly no takers even with them picking up the tab.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I can't find video of it, but Kyle Schwarber hitting a pop-up double to Jake Peavy to lead off the August 26, 2015 game against the Giants is my favorite Peavy moment.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Four million for a guy who’s going to spend the season riding the Gwinnett Express seems less than optimal

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

elentar posted:

Braves had to straight up release Carpenter, unsurprisingly no takers even with them picking up the tab.

Sounds like a 2024 league minimum Cub who inexplicably blocks an interesting prospect already!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
https://x.com/ByJackHarris/status/1736795026628231408?s=20

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Sounds like a 2024 league minimum Cub who inexplicably blocks an interesting prospect already!

Their approach at this point is clearly "what's the minimum amount we can pay for a winning record?"

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Paper Tiger posted:

"Anything to declare?"

"Yeah, don't go to (TORONTO)"

the way the audio on that scene is kinda hosed up like Dennis is 20 feet away from the mic makes that shot all the more perfect

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

This year will be different!

…right?

:negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/status/1736799069106848242

lol another year, another Cubs convention with a quietly axed ownership Q&A panel. They cut the business ops panel for the first time ever too, a great sign!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Let me know when the Yamamoto and Bellinger panel is

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Everybody hated the autograph vouchers but getting rid of them is going to be an absolute shitshow, lol.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Poque posted:

Everybody hated the autograph vouchers but getting rid of them is going to be an absolute shitshow, lol.
Yeah that’s going to be a huge mess

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

No Cubs ownership means no free agent signing tongue baths from fans but also no culpability to the paying ticket holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I thought the Cubs would probably be worse next year because they were obscenely lucky last year and have a lot of holes to fill losing Belli/Stro. They’re clearly content with fielding an average team as long as the division is poo poo and the bar for playoff entry is low. They seem fine kicking the can another year while they see if guys like PCA pan out. I still expect they’ll make a couple moves but I can’t really envision any big splashes out there that they’d jump at.