Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

Card when possible, cash when not.
You don't get to choose, it depends on the store.

Tap tap tap. Life is easy.

And there’s also mobile suica if you don’t want to deal with coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Sure it’s the law , but they might have correct change and the law won’t say anything about that.

And in some random retail place that won’t accept cash, what will you do? Pull out your phone and start filming them or pull out big book of regulations?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

If I recall correctly, Japan has the same rules as the US and most modern countries, which is that legal cash tender is required to be accepted as a way to pay for things no matter if you have a card or not.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

That's not a law in the United States

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn’t the whole “legal tender” thing specifically that it’s valid to pay for debts, and buying poo poo isn’t a ‘debt’ because you don’t owe the store the money since the things aren’t yours yet.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I am currently in Japan and boy do I wish I had remembered how important cash was a few days ago. I did take out 20000 JPY when I got here, but after a few days, I had run out.

I got all the way to Ginkakuji and of course it’s cash only. No ATMs anywhere nearby. Hell, no combinis within 15 minutes. So I huffed it down the street, trying to get to the post office the receptionist at Ginkakuji recommended and I stop at a wagashi and coffee place for a break. The guy speaks great English and we’re chatting for a while. Eventually I explained what happened and he basically did some finagling (I think he faked a refund?) so I could use my credit card to take 1000 yen from the register. What a hero.

So, yes, don’t be me. Always carry cash.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Thinking about it, I'm sort of surprised that Suica cards aren't used for money laundering

They're essentially a debit card that you don't need a bank account or any financial regulation hoops to get

That's why you can only put 20,000 yen at a time on them.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Mercari had to crack down on people selling pre-charged Suicas for more than face because of potential for money laundering, lol

https://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/spv/1704/25/news092.html

Edit: also yeah lots of retail places are 100% cashless now

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I was going to ask how you planned to "hard money pay down" without any cash but that is actually a Kinkakuji thing if I remember correctly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good Listener posted:

I've been loading up that Wise card I got here and there for prep so I can atleast use it at an ATM and it's got the yens already there for me. Good to know though.

7-11 ATMs and Japan Post ATMs are still the two that should without fail take overseas cards. Seconding having ~20,000 JPY on you just to not be surprised or have any issues.

more and more places are taking cards or other cashless options (I don't gently caress with PayPay or other barcode things but I do tap with either my physical debit card or the credit card on my iPhone wallet if need be) but 99.99% of places will take cash. There might be some weird kiosks or shops or, in some grocery stores, self-checkout lanes that don't take cash, but they'll be marked as such because it's still a novelty.

and yes, the one fun thing about ordering money from an overseas bank to bring with you is that'll ensure you have at least a few 2000 yen bills, which can cause some fun reactions.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

teddust posted:

I was going to ask how you planned to "hard money pay down" without any cash but that is actually a Kinkakuji thing if I remember correctly.

You are correct.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Again, def appreciate all the help with this stuff~ Are there any recommendations on how much you should try to take with you for a 12ish day stay? I guess it all comes down to how much you wanna spend on souvenirs and such really.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just bring your debit card. Trying to preplan exactly how much money you're going to use is a fool's errand unless you're trying to make do with a very strict budget, but in that case you already know what you can spend.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Have a travel card that refunds ATM/foreign fees. And hit up the ATM 200k at a time. Be merry.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

deong posted:

Have a travel card that refunds ATM/foreign fees. And hit up the ATM 200k at a time. Be merry.

Not sure how long your merriment would last hitting your bank account for 200k at a time…

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

.Z. posted:

Not sure how long your merriment would last hitting your bank account for 200k at a time…

a lot longer than even a few years ago, I just saw a news article about circulating new bills and they said "10,000 yen bill ($69)" and I had to let out an extremely deep sigh.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

.Z. posted:

Whoops. Don't post tired..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

a lot longer than even a few years ago, I just saw a news article about circulating new bills and they said "10,000 yen bill ($69)" and I had to let out an extremely deep sigh.

Nice.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Probably a stupid question but is there a concierge/personal shopper like service that will find all the retro games I want at the super stores in akihabara and when my brother goes to tokyo he can just pick them up from the counter and pay and go? Yes I am aware yahoo auctions is a thing.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Probably a stupid question but is there a concierge/personal shopper like service that will find all the retro games I want at the super stores in akihabara and when my brother goes to tokyo he can just pick them up from the counter and pay and go? Yes I am aware yahoo auctions is a thing.

I couldn't imagine it being cheaper than just using Buyee to hoover all that stuff up on Yahoo Auctions. They can send directly to you overseas (not sure if regular airmail is back, or if it's still EMS only) or to your brother's hotel in Japan.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I couldn't imagine it being cheaper than just using Buyee to hoover all that stuff up on Yahoo Auctions. They can send directly to you overseas (not sure if regular airmail is back, or if it's still EMS only) or to your brother's hotel in Japan.

Hm, this seems like a viable option thanks. Is buyee relatively easy to use for an American? Just punch in my CC # and add the delivery address (mine or hotel)?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Hm, this seems like a viable option thanks. Is buyee relatively easy to use for an American? Just punch in my CC # and add the delivery address (mine or hotel)?

Yeah it should be pretty straightforward, I set it up with my Australian account no dramas, IIRC they have Paypal support too. Honestly I'd probably still be using it if I was living in Japan, not sure if it's still the case but it used to be a huge PITA to get a Yahoo Auctions account as a foreigner because it required a Japanese credit card.

With the delivery you'll just want to make sure your timing works if it's going to your brother. Buyee has to get the item shipped to their warehouse (they will also consolidate everything into a single box), then ship it to your address in Japan. I think they'll hold it for up to 30 days with no storage fees, so I'd recommend starting a month out and getting everything you want, then have it shipped to him.

One really annoying thing to be aware of with Yahoo Auctions is that sellers have the ability to make it so the auction extends by a few minutes everytime a higher bid is received. This puts a damper on sniping and encourages buyers to get irrational, which can really drive up the price. Sometimes the "Prompt Decision" (Buy It Now) is the best way to go.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah it should be pretty straightforward, I set it up with my Australian account no dramas, IIRC they have Paypal support too. Honestly I'd probably still be using it if I was living in Japan, not sure if it's still the case but it used to be a huge PITA to get a Yahoo Auctions account as a foreigner because it required a Japanese credit card.

With the delivery you'll just want to make sure your timing works if it's going to your brother. Buyee has to get the item shipped to their warehouse (they will also consolidate everything into a single box), then ship it to your address in Japan. I think they'll hold it for up to 30 days with no storage fees, so I'd recommend starting a month out and getting everything you want, then have it shipped to him.

One really annoying thing to be aware of with Yahoo Auctions is that sellers have the ability to make it so the auction extends by a few minutes everytime a higher bid is received. This puts a damper on sniping and encourages buyers to get irrational, which can really drive up the price. Sometimes the "Prompt Decision" (Buy It Now) is the best way to go.

Awesome, so if my bro is going in january sounds like I need to start shopping now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Honestly I'd probably still be using it if I was living in Japan, not sure if it's still the case but it used to be a huge PITA to get a Yahoo Auctions account as a foreigner because it required a Japanese credit card.

:smuggo:

Nah if you were still here I think you would’ve joined the rest of us getting a Rakuten card :v:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I was kicking around Tokyo for a few days and went on a bit of a coffee crawl and wanted to share some places of note.

Glitch Coffee & Roasters: I would seriously suggest adding this as a stop for coffee drinkers. It's expensive, like ¥2000 for a latte expensive, but a unique experience I think it's absolutely worth it. They are incredibly good at drawing out the fruitiness of coffee and you'll go wtf as you drink a latte so fruity you'd think there were flavor additives. But no, it's just the result of bean quality and brewing technique.

Woodberry Coffee Roasters: Not at the same level as Glitch, but nice selection of beans and quality espresso and pourover. Worth swinging by if you find yourself near one of their locations. Had this Columbia bean I would have bought a bag of if they had any stock.

Onibus Coffee: I'd rank them a notch below Woodberry, but still quite good. Not as much bean selection, but still good pourover and espresso.

The Roastery by Nozy Coffee: Solid coffee, but another notch below the previous three. But it's located in the Harajuku/Omotesando area so you are likely going to stumble across it if you are visiting those spots vs. having to go out of your way for the others. So nice place to take a break and grab a quality cup.

Koffee Mameya Omotesando: This is an odd man out from the others, they're a coffee showcase vs a roaster like the previous places. They carry a variety of beans from different roasters and do a solid job with brewing them. So if you want to tryout a bunch of different roasters this is the place to go. But if you are seeking out top tier drinks, you should go to the other places. But if you do want to visit this place, do not mix it up with their other location in Tokyo, Koffee Mameya Kakeru. Kakeru is a reservation only place that does coffee tasting menus.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

A few coffee youtubers have posted their experiences with Glitch and it consistently ranks as their best experience. It's one of those sterile coffee experiences so you're not visiting for the ambiance or the comfort but the quality.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

.Z. posted:

I was kicking around Tokyo for a few days and went on a bit of a coffee crawl and wanted to share some places of note.

The Roastery by Nozy Coffee: Solid coffee, but another notch below the previous three.

This is part of a brewery/restaurant group, and the American BBQ restaurant right above is part of that as well. It’s definitely something of a B+ experience, but has a pretty high floor.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Different country, but Solos coffee in Bangkok is pretty amazing.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, Onibus is great. Went last trip and had to come back this time. Later found out my second favorite place in Tokyo (About Life) uses Onibus’ beans. Go figure.

I also enjoyed Sidewalk Coffee in Nakameguro, Dogberry in Shimokitazawa, Tensuke in Yanaka Ginza, Bread, Espresso & Machiawase in Shibuya.

Even the super gimmicky Cafe Zingaro in Nakano Broadway had good espresso.

Basically, I never had a bad cup of coffee in Tokyo.

Vaguely related to coffee, since drinking so much of it makes me pee like fifteen times a day…

I found that most bathrooms in Japan that aren’t in a park or something do indeed have soap. So, why do none of the Japanese men use it??? I’d say 95% of the guys I saw just splash one single hand for less than three seconds and off they go. loving gross.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 16, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Do they sell chai lattes in Japan? If you're a person who doesn't drink coffee, what are the hot milky alternatives?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Japan isn't really a hot milky drink kind of country.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Most places that do coffee will have milk tea or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

At least one of the chains does since I've had it. I think Tully's? It wasn't memorable. Assorted tea is your alternative, matcha lattes are common enough if you want milky. Also just about every hot drink vending machine sells royal milk tea which is pretty good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The good news is that half of the Starbucks menu is basically whipped cream parfaits.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Grand Fromage posted:

Assorted tea is your alternative, matcha lattes are common enough if you want milky. Also just about every hot drink vending machine sells royal milk tea which is pretty good.

This sounds exactly like what I'll need! Royal milk tea sounds very similar to the milk tea I had in Thailand and I really enjoyed. Thank you :)

I'm headed for Tokyo in less than a fortnight now and I'm starting to get super excited.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The thing to keep in mind about coffee is that Suntory Boss is the boss of them all since 1992

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:hai:

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

So I'm heading over to Tokyo from 12/28 to 1/11 to watch a bunch of wrestling and generally wander around. Here's my plan so far:

12.29 Land and try to stay awake until bedtime
12.30 Get bearings and wander around Roppongi (hotel is here)
12.31 AJPW in Shibuya, DDT at Korakuen, try to hit GODZ for midnight
1.1 Recovery I'm guessing, not sure what will be open
1.2 teamlab, NOAH at Ariake, check out Odaiba
1.3 DDT at Korakuen
1.4 Wrestle Kingdom at Tokyo Dome
1.5 NJPW @ Sumida, Skytree, Aquarium?
1.6 Shinjuku bar hopping and mischief
1.7 Shibuya exploration
1.8 Akibahara Nerd poo poo
1.9 Possible Mt. Fuji daytrip
1.10 Shopping and final cleanup of poi
1.11 leave

Does this seem reasonable? I have a bunch of POI marked down but I plan to just wander around between them and look for cool poo poo. I thought about heading to Osaka/Kyoto for a day or two but that seems like a bunch of loving around. Mostly looking for breweries/craft beer/sake, heavy metal, video games, all the food, museums, maybe a cooking class. Not really into loud clubs so any dive bar suggestions for 40+ are welcome.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Maybe you already know about it but there is https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi if you want more wrestling shows.

Also would recommend going to Nakano Broadway instead of Akihabara for nerd stuff. Unless there is something specific in Akihabara you are going for.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

duckdealer posted:

Maybe you already know about it but there is https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi if you want more wrestling shows.

Also would recommend going to Nakano Broadway instead of Akihabara for nerd stuff. Unless there is something specific in Akihabara you are going for.

yep that's what we used to find those shows, that's more than enough for me for one trip

I'm not really into anime, mostly looking for retro video games, arcades, electronics stores, cool tech, that sort of thing. Which one is better for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I’m curious why the rec for mama I broadway over aki these days. I haven’t been to Tokyo in close to a decade so the retro scene surely changed in that time.