Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Starting a tactician run with my buddy now and we're gonna be nerds and try and make some WOT characters, for Mat I was thinking start rogue-monk-fighter 5-thief-rest fighter. Monk is pretty much just to get the unarmored bonus (I suppose using everything as dex will be useful as well, although sneak attacks are out). This will give me 3-1-8 and 3 feats so seems ok, I guess attributes, polearm master, and lucky would be the ones to get. Does that look mechanically viable to you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Is polearm master still bugged? Bummed me out when I read that too because it would be really cool on barb or paladin

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I used the Lucky feat until after Act 2 and switched it out for mobile. So with Lucky the combat saves / attack rerolls never really came in clutch for me, it was more useful for dialogue checks. But you can get rerolls on dialogues with Inspiration and the spell Enhance Abilities.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It was more for the theme I dont really like the look of the feat tbh. I knew Pam was bugged initialy but thought maybe it got fixed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

flashman posted:

Starting a tactician run with my buddy now and we're gonna be nerds and try and make some WOT characters, for Mat I was thinking start rogue-monk-fighter 5-thief-rest fighter. Monk is pretty much just to get the unarmored bonus (I suppose using everything as dex will be useful as well, although sneak attacks are out). This will give me 3-1-8 and 3 feats so seems ok, I guess attributes, polearm master, and lucky would be the ones to get. Does that look mechanically viable to you guys

Mat would be a battle master though. I don’t think you need to take rogue levels, there’s really nothing sneaky or roguelike in his character beyond other people’s misconceptions of him. Swords bard/battle master maybe, if you ignore the fact they can cast spells.

You’d want to get him the dancing breeze glaive eventually, it’s the most in character for him and the only glaive with finesse I think. He can use a quarter staff before then, or a spear.

Whoever in your group gets to be Rand has the easy job, that’s basically straight up durge sorcerer. Wild magic would be more in character but draconic ancestry does make for a good pun.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 17, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

flashman posted:

Barbarian would be a better dip for Unarmoured Defense, as constitution is more useful for a fighter than wisdom.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You can just disable the appearance of armor from the inventory screen. No need for a dip just for unarmored defense. Hide one of the max dex armors and you simplify the build a lot. Dex-based PAM battle Master is much more straightforward. You'll even have enough feats to take lucky and mobile after maxing out dex.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rand is a Blade pact Warlock :colbert:

His patron is Lews Therin

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Mat could be a fun blade pact warlock, since you could bind a polearm and use charisma for that, with his patron as the archfey/Eelfinn. Take four levels of that and switch to fighter, maybe more if you want to grab the third attack.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Morrow posted:

Mat could be a fun blade pact warlock, since you could bind a polearm and use charisma for that, with his patron as the archfey/Eelfinn. Take four levels of that and switch to fighter, maybe more if you want to grab the third attack.

Come to think of it, he did make a pact. Flavour wise though he’s far more bard/battlemaster than warlock, he’s pretty anti spellcasting after all. You’d have to be a warlock but not use your spells. Come to think of it, don’t warlocks have an ability you can get - the dark one’s own luck? Kinda fitting.

Gotta have Volo take your eye too, for that late series energy.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hmm. Barb works too for the unarmored bonus and could go Dex con cha without having to use wisdom. Monk or barb doesn't really fit but I am set on not using armor, being able to use all the polearms with Dex is pretty cool though.

Rogue to start gives lots of skills, Mat likes to gamble hang in taverns and poo poo he's a scamp so I can see the theme fitting. Maybe just one rogue/barb/battlemaster.

I like the warlock idea too but doesn't jive with the theme so well imo.

Our Rand is going to be a sorlock durge, just to get some eldritch blasts to spam. Perrin is going to be some combination of beast master ranger and wolf wildheart barb, and the last dudes going to be a tom merrilen lore bard.

flashman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 17, 2023

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I really feel like your Mat has to be a battlemaster, yeah, I would consider rogue though. Consider sorcerer for Rand?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Come to think of it, he did make a pact. Flavour wise though he’s far more bard/battlemaster than warlock, he’s pretty anti spellcasting after all. You’d have to be a warlock but not use your spells. Come to think of it, don’t warlocks have an ability you can get - the dark one’s own luck? Kinda fitting.

Gotta have Volo take your eye too, for that late series energy.

Warlocks can just save their slot for counterspell.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Morrow posted:

Warlocks can just save their slot for counterspell.

Actually, that works perfectly for mat

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

To get the "Paladin of [Deity]" dialogue do you have to keep a cleric level or just have been a cleric at one point so you have the deity picked?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Honour mode horror story act 3 spoiler version:

mark of negation cleaved for no apparent reason and took out all the platforms on turn 2

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
On a future tactician run if I literally ever wanna do that, is there any downside to Partial Rest+Bard Song rest to save up supplies?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tae posted:

On a future tactician run if I literally ever wanna do that, is there any downside to Partial Rest+Bard Song rest to save up supplies?

only the obvious - it’s not a long rest so you won’t replenish per long rest abilities or all your spell slots. How big of a deal that is will depend on class.

Another thing you can do to conserve resources is rotate your party more - eg when your wizard runs out of spell slots, go to camp and swap him out for a warlock or another fighter or something. If you’re willing to make use of all your companions in this way you can delay the need for a long rest considerably.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There are so many supplies in this game that it's just not worth it imo.

And tbh there are so many long rest events in this game that not resting enough is more likely to be a problem than having to rest too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Song of Rest is still useful for those times where your entire party blows themselves up on traps.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

flashman posted:

I don't know if it works thematically for you, but I'd swap lucky for alert from a practical standpoint.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

exquisite tea posted:

Song of Rest is still useful for those times where your entire party blows themselves up on traps.

This is what I almost exclusively use it for.

Stay out of the traps, goofballs!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just completed the Githyanki Creche. I purposely went in with all 4 Inspiration rolls and boy howdy that was a sound decision because the zaith'isk required every single one of them! Unfortunately that meant I could not persuade the githyanki doctor to give me the egg so I guess my dreams of starting a family with Lae'zel have been scuppered. The Warmaster legendary actions seem complicated at first but it was ultimately just a DPS race, get him and the other githyanki assholes down before he can summon enough swords to wipe you. The fight immediately after with the Battlemaster lady got way hairer when she landed Fear on my two melee characters on the very first turn. Hasted Tavern Brawler Karlach with a Bloodlust Elixir was the real MVP. The party hit Level 7 at just the right time so that I could give her Action Surge from 2 Fighter. Thankfully you do not need to pass the Persuade check to prevent Lae'zel from turning against you because that probably would have killed the run right there!

I forgot how insanely good all the creche loot is. Blood of Lathander, Arcane Synergy helm, the bigass sword for Lae'zel, Dexterity Gloves, huge upgrades all around. Being a githyanki MC makes it rather trivial to convert Lae'zel against Vlaakith so we're all on the same page now.

Oh, and here's a funny thing that happened: In the zaith'isk room, as long as you've used at least one tadpole you can steal as many mindflayer specimens as you want right in front of the doctor and she can't do poo poo because they instantly disappear from your inventory as soon as you pick them up. It was pretty amusing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sadly they fixed the arcane synergy helm in patch 5 so it no longer procs off of absolutely everything

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Solo Honor mode update:

Minthara saw me in the rafters picking off her doods, ran over and cast hold person, came up the ladder and 1-shot crit me. Game over.

Always destroy all but the furthest ladder if you're going to be sneaking around up top...

It's a super fun way to play. I was 1/3 of a bar from level 5, where fireball and haste were about to make my life a whole lot better. Will definitely try again.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Turds in magma posted:

Solo Honor mode update:

Minthara saw me in the rafters picking off her doods, ran over and cast hold person, came up the ladder and 1-shot crit me. Game over.

Always destroy all but the furthest ladder if you're going to be sneaking around up top...

It's a super fun way to play. I was 1/3 of a bar from level 5, where fireball and haste were about to make my life a whole lot better. Will definitely try again.

Even in balanced, the paladin nova is real. Playing a coop run with the wife, I was a barbarian, she was sword bard, and we brought karlach and Shadowheart against the paladin in the toll house.

Fight started with him immediately critting me for 50-ish damage, then critting Karlach for 50-ish damage.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Don't gently caress with paladins. Especially oathbreakers who have no fucks left to give.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Shadowheart just decided she really doesn't wanna talk about those broken statues after all:

(the red message came up if I tried to click option 1)

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

For some reason the game has started running like molasses for me. Just loaded a save and replaced Gale with Wyll to go to the Iron Throne and everything has slowed down to the point it's difficult to control the camera. Did a hotfix just come out or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rojay posted:

For some reason the game has started running like molasses for me. Just loaded a save and replaced Gale with Wyll to go to the Iron Throne and everything has slowed down to the point it's difficult to control the camera. Did a hotfix just come out or something?

A few times i've had this happen. The game will slow waaay down and feels like its about to lock my whole system up and the only way to fix it is to force close it though task manager. My system is pretty beefy, except my processer which is only an i5 but i have a 3060 and 32gigs of ram running this off an ssd. The rest of the time it runs beautifully and takes almost no time to load into new areas.

When you play an origin character, is all the dialog voiced or just the stuff that would be heard if you were playing a custom character?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You miss a lot of the voice acting and when you are picking by dialogues you make the custom tav exaggerated expressions. If that makes sense. Instead you now have the narrator filling you in on past details or motivations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

About the tadpoles (act 1): I have avoided using them so far. Is this choice worth it by the end of the game? Does it change anything meaningfully?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

About the tadpoles (act 1): I have avoided using them so far. Is this choice worth it by the end of the game? Does it change anything meaningfully?

No. /Withers

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lunar detritus posted:

using them or not doesn't really affect anything at first. you get some minor powers and nothing plotwise is really affected either way. But later on there's a point where you get to go further with it and that gives you actually useful powers but also starts to affect your character's appearance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

ChronoReverse posted:

No. /Withers

That one spoilery IGN interview actually confirmed that your reward for doing that is slightly lowered DC on one specific check if you choose to oppose one specific character The Emperor.

So...No.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Black Noise posted:

You miss a lot of the voice acting and when you are picking by dialogues you make the custom tav exaggerated expressions. If that makes sense. Instead you now have the narrator filling you in on past details or motivations.

Ah, thats too bad. But it still sounds worth choosing an origin character for at least one run. I can get my Karlach/Shadowheart slash fiction in game!

Once I finish with my sword bard, which will be in a while as I just grabbed Rogue Trader.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, the check to use the astral tadpole automatically when you first get it has a dc based on how many tadpoles you've already used, I believe, but there's never any narrative payoff for abstinence.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I stuffed even my companions' faces with the worms during my honor run. Everyone being able to fly freely is amazing (along with Longstrider on everyone).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If you shove every tadpole in your head you can find, you should die at the end when you order the absolute to kill every tadpole and then itself, because at that point how much of your actual brain could be left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished Solasta's main campaign. Not bad if you're looking for another game in which to build characters and fight using the D&D 5e ruleset. Obviously as a low-budget title it doesn't hold a candle to BG3 in terms of cinematics, voice acting, and writing, but weirdly enough there are actually a few things Larian could learn from it. For example, having the game warn you if you're about to break Concentration, or having the party stop all movement when they spot a trap. The latter is really inexcusable when you realize Pillars of Eternity had a fully functional, customizable auto-pause system all the way back in 2015.