Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Gaz-L posted:

I also think that streaming and blu-ray make it much easier to make both the original and the colour versions available. I also do take some issue with the idea that it's disrespectful, as it's not as if the show was shot in black and white as an artistic choice but a technical and economic one.

That's the case with a lot of B&W stuff, like movies were (largely) shot in B&W because they didn't have many alternatives, but colorizing them looks awful. Regardless of if it was an aesthetic choice on behalf of the people shooting it, they shot it with making it for that palette in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Deeply upset about the sandwiches. Like 80 percent of Charles Martinet not being Mario upset.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxH2xTBV43s

Gatwa casually vaulting over chimneys while delivering quips. Already top tier.

Also google Doctor Who for a fun surprise

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 16, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Google turning into unusable dogshit in the year or two since I switched to duckduckgo isn't a surprise, people talk about it all the time

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Dabir posted:

Google turning into unusable dogshit in the year or two since I switched to duckduckgo isn't a surprise, people talk about it all the time

When I attempted to do this the first time, I ran through about 8 "find the motorcycle" things until I finally said screw it and went to another browser. Ridiculous.

The game is cute, though I got bored after the first letter. Anything to report at the end, or has anyone finished?

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

McGann posted:

The game is cute, though I got bored after the first letter. Anything to report at the end, or has anyone finished?

Nope. The Cybermen show up and there's a level with a Weeping Angel. Also every time you die, your Doctor regenerates, but for some reason it only goes up to 11. Probably reused from the Matt Smith era.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Edit: person deleted the tweet but it said "Ncuti has confirmed on the Graham Norton show that 14 does regenerate into 15 after rehab so can we as a fandom stop arguing about it please"

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 16, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Confusedslight posted:

https://twitter.com/Abzorbaloffsbf/status/1735809756756156472?s=20
Apparently he said that. If anybody has a clip that would be very much appreciated!

Tweet is gone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tweet doesn't appear to exist, so you'll have to look into whatever you thought you saw yourself.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Updog Scully posted:

Nope. The Cybermen show up and there's a level with a Weeping Angel. Also every time you die, your Doctor regenerates, but for some reason it only goes up to 11. Probably reused from the Matt Smith era.

Yeah I remember this from years and years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Updog Scully posted:

From the comments (a rare exception to never reading the comments):

"Love a Doctor who will see someone do the exact thing he is currently doing and think “Why would anyone do that?”"

:perfect:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Updog Scully posted:

I know he gets several outfits from the photos they've released, but lordy, I really like his jacket a lot as a signature Doctor look.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Turnerizing used to be seen as incredibly disrespectful to the original creators of black and white media and I'm really curious when, exactly, this changed.

My completely unresearched guess would be that when Turner was doing it (late 80s early 90s was the heyday iirc), a large chunk of the populace still remembered and had fond memories of the original b&w versions, hence the negative response. And that’s before even getting into the artistic and preservation aspects of altering another creative’s piece of work.

Nowadays anything that a company would colorize is probably far enough removed from the general public’s memory that you wouldn’t get anywhere near the same kind of public outcry unless it was a very well-known classic on the level of Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc. You’d still get the same artistic and preservation related arguments against doing it, but the general public probably wouldn’t give much of a poo poo and the company doing it would almost certainly now have a more marketable product that’s easier for modern audiences to digest.

I think it’s pretty depressing, but I can also understand why it’s done. Especially since, as others noted, modern colorization is far more nuanced and “seamless” than it was when Turner was doing it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Updog Scully posted:

If it’s what I think it is it’s the doodle from the 50th anniversary.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Love the Doctor being indignant :allears:

I can't wait to see the him in action

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

I've been spoilt, because I'm a little sad there's no new Doctor Who today.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Barry the Sprout posted:

loving tell me about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Barry the Sprout posted:

I know :gonk:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you're all on your best behavior, maybe Santa will bring a new episode for Christmas now that the last guy is gone

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

If you're all on your best behavior, maybe Santa will bring a new episode for Christmas now that the last guy is gone

All I'm hearing is no Doctor Who next Saturday either :mad:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*hastily slaps cracked halo atop protruding horns*

We've been good since 2018!

We've earned this!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
What's really gonna be tough is getting the Christmas episode, then having to wait until April for more.

RTD is a master of torture. A concentrated dose of weekly Who before a short break then a long break? Truly an evil mastermind up there with The Master and Davros.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The new season doesn't start till April!?! :gonk:

This is the longest ANYBODY has ever had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who. EVER! :cry:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The current airdate is ‘Spring 2024’, so that’s anything from Feb onwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The new season doesn't start till February!?! :gonk:

This is the longest ANYBODY has ever had to wait for a new episode of Doctor Who. EVER! :cry:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Since RTD is withholding an episode this week (:argh:) I watched The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. What a wild story that one is. It's kind of awkward and it probably should have only been a one parter, and I'm glad that the Ood became regularly reoccurring aliens so they could be something other than slaves who rebelled because the devil made them do it, but there's a lot of great moments. Nice horror set up and evil atmosphere, then some wonderful moments for both the Doctor and Rose.

There's enough echos of what RTD seems to be wanting to do not that I think it was a good time to revisit it. I could see the Beast fitting in nicely with the theme of the upcoming season...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually taking this time to catch up on what I missed of Whittaker’s run, since I stopped after Kerblam. And I’m…enjoying it? Have I been Chibnall-brained? :(

It’s definitely got issues, but I like the slightly more…grounded feel? Like after 10 seasons of RTD and Moffat, the show decided to pop a valium and just shoot for a chill B- for most stories.

Anyway I dub the Chibnall years the Star Trek: Voyager of Doctor Who. Looking forward to retroactively writing it off after I watch Flux lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nah, Voyager was overall a bust, but it had a lot of good episodes and most of its characters had at least nominal personalities. Chibnall wishes he could write an episode as good as The Thaw.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's kind of awkward and it probably should have only been a one parter,

I believe it was so they could air the 2nd part after 6.6.06 as part of SATAN WEEK

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What if the One Who Waits is the Space Devil from the Satan Pit? Didn't Rusty say he wanted to do more with that idea in an interview?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Between the Spyfall reveal, the Tesla episode, Fugitive of the Judoon, and the Haunting of Villa Diodati you can almost convince yourself that Chibnall's second season is decent. It's just how the bigger picture shakes out that ruins it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Random Stranger posted:

Since RTD is withholding an episode this week (:argh:) I watched The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. What a wild story that one is. It's kind of awkward and it probably should have only been a one parter, and I'm glad that the Ood became regularly reoccurring aliens so they could be something other than slaves who rebelled because the devil made them do it, but there's a lot of great moments. Nice horror set up and evil atmosphere, then some wonderful moments for both the Doctor and Rose.

There's enough echos of what RTD seems to be wanting to do not that I think it was a good time to revisit it. I could see the Beast fitting in nicely with the theme of the upcoming season...

That's legitimately one of my favourite Doctor Who stories ever. Stories which pit the Doctor against something that doesn't fit within his personal worldview are always cool, the Ood are fantastic, Rose moving into being genuinely competent and the scenes with the Doctor philosophising as he is slowly lowered into an abyss are Tennant at his best.

"Maybe that's why I keep travelling. To be proven wrong."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Part of why I like it is that it nails the feeling of a modern base-under-siege story and the extra runtime really helps there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

That's legitimately one of my favourite Doctor Who stories ever. Stories which pit the Doctor against something that doesn't fit within his personal worldview are always cool, the Ood are fantastic, Rose moving into being genuinely competent and the scenes with the Doctor philosophising as he is slowly lowered into an abyss are Tennant at his best.

"Maybe that's why I keep traveling. To be proven wrong."

In a similar vein to that, the bit in Wild Blue Yonder where he muses on what might happen to the TARDIS if it was left somewhere and a civilization rose and fell around it was a wonderful bit of writing and acting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The new season doesn't start till February!?! :gonk:

For real though, between the mini seasons and actually anticipating new episodes over bracing for them, I imagine the wait till season 1 will feel much more painful than the previous nuWho drought record. On the bright side, wait for season 2 might be worse.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The current airdate is ‘Spring 2024’, so that’s anything from Feb onwards.

It's more likely to be April than February though. Whenever they give you a season it's always at the end of it :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

It's more likely to be April than February though. Whenever they give you a season it's always at the end of it :(

I think April / May lines up with some of the unspecified books that are due to be coming out around then.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Between the Spyfall reveal, the Tesla episode, Fugitive of the Judoon, and the Haunting of Villa Diodati you can almost convince yourself that Chibnall's second season is decent. It's just how the bigger picture shakes out that ruins it.

Chibnall would occasionally setup a really interesting twist and then give it the most unsatisfactory resolution ever.

Division-Doctor was a real :asoiaf:, like just that moment where The Doctor finds the Tardis, Ruth turns back into the Doctor and starts giving her the 'It can go anywhere in space and time' talk was awesome, and and the resolution of that arc was the Doctor was literally monologuing to the Master about how none if it loving matters and that she doesn't even give a poo poo.

Like, what.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

"Maybe that's why I keep travelling. To be proven wrong."

The Doctor trying to reason through being confronted with the Devil is one of his best moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It will always baffle me that the "Timeless Child" reveal which profoundly alters the whole backstory of the entire series rendering multiple previous stories retroactively devoid of stakes (remember when the Doctor was about to die for real on Trenzalore? Remember the flashforward to after that time where the characters saw his grave??) not only hasn't come up much since, it wasn't even particularly important to the plot of the episode it was revealed in. The whole reveal was just to keep the Doctor busy while the Master got on with Cybermen bullshit!