Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Where do you get a plasma gun for Pasqual in chapter 2? I have found some pistols but not a gun. The explorators have one but it's level 14 with them or something. Is there anything earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

Where do you get a plasma gun for Pasqual in chapter 2? I have found some pistols but not a gun. The explorators have one but it's level 14 with them or something. Is there anything earlier?

Chapter 1 right before the boss on a bridge. The rep one is just better though so it's worth working for.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ataxerxes posted:

There's one in Act 1, when you're running to get to the shuttles in the final section and fight the heretics on the landing pad with the mines, just after that there's a box with one in it. For me it was glitched to be invisible but tabbing revealed where it was with the icon. Obviously a bit late for you now though. I found out about it from someone in here and I'd basically only gotten to footfall so I just reloaded and went back.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

You find an upgraded line plasma gun on Kiava Gamma, but I had found some common ones before that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my cass seems to be broken in a less useful way. point of curiosity just doesn't seem to affect anything. sure, there's a willpower test, but why would every single trash mob in multiple battles all resist it every turn? i checked the enemy stats, and they are perfectly normal enemies with no odd buffs going on.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

It is pretty funny how cracked the top-end bolters are compared to literally anything else in the game. Plasma is fun, snipers are solid throughout, and I enjoyed my RT's fancy endgame inferno pistol, but like... nothing even came close to the sheer carnage of firing this thing. Single-shot, burst, whatever, it turns out that getting an extra 40+ damage hit on every hit that also scales with your damage modifiers is absurd.

(extra RoF is from gear, pretty sure its base 4)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh...is there a single character in the game that can use this gun?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
As of now, no.
Unless you toybox away requirements

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Nope, it's supposed to be for Yrliet but they gave it contradictory requirements. Either toybox it or ignore it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tricky posted:

It is pretty funny how cracked the top-end bolters are compared to literally anything else in the game. Plasma is fun, snipers are solid throughout, and I enjoyed my RT's fancy endgame inferno pistol, but like... nothing even came close to the sheer carnage of firing this thing. Single-shot, burst, whatever, it turns out that getting an extra 40+ damage hit on every hit that also scales with your damage modifiers is absurd.

Is it viable to play the game without a rapid fire bolter character?

They're so effective that I'm assuming that in the ttrpg there's some kind of restriction/cost to bolters in a way there isn't for other weapons.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

They're so effective that I'm assuming that in the ttrpg there's some kind of restriction/cost to bolters in a way there isn't for other weapons.

I'm playing on Daring and I don't find my rapid-fire focused Argenta to be anywhere close to being my MVP.
In fact I recently benched her.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tricky posted:

Wheres that one drop again? Out on an endgame planet?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

pentyne posted:

Through Act 2? Sure, I didn't think bolters were particularly good until I got the first upgraded one in Footfall's plague zone, the mutant den that opens up after Janus and some of the +rof support items.

In late game, things just start having thousands of wounds and more offense than most characters can actually deal with, even after Cassia has nuked their stats down to essentially nothing. You can kill bosses easily enough if you bring a bunch of assassins for % max health hits, but the value of the bolter build is that it mulches bosses and also clears the rest of the field of chaff before initiative even starts.

Dandywalken posted:

Wheres that one drop again? Out on an endgame planet?

Pretty sure its on the planet where Argenta's last quest is? I believe it was Act 4, but I might have picked it up after one of the Act 5 encounters. Endgame was kind of a blur in terms of what came from where.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

pentyne posted:

Rogue Trader video games combat is more related to pathfinder than the Rogue Trader ttrpg.
There's little loot treadmilling in the Tabletop.

In tabletop you have access to literally any one non-unique equipment/cybernetics at your character creation.
And during gameplay, having money is never the problem. You own literal worlds. It is finding the thing you want for sale, that is hard.
Because you don't want any old rubbish, you want the best and the unique.
Sometimes merchants have them, sometimes you have to kill Bob the Heretic for that sweet Bobs Power sword.

In tabletop Solid- and las-based weapons are (mostly) rubbish meant for henchmen and underlings
Bolter's and bolt pistols are useable for a starting Rogue trader, but probably want to get a source for more unique and effective shells than regular bolts. (not included in video game)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there really no way to make the log bigger? You need a loving magnifying glass to read it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What the gently caress is this game?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Buggy
Cool

Idk I can't think of a third adjective for what this game is

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pentyne posted:

In the ttrpg you aren't doing a million attacks a turn, 1d10 is the default damage type for most things including bolters, and armor rules are a little different. There's also way more types of weapons, so you could have a bolter....or you could have two archeotech pistols. Or some weird alien gun. Or just a plasma pistol, which has waaay the gently caress more armor penetration. Not getting into Navigator and Psyker powers that just ignore armor and do crazy poo poo at the same time. Things are a lot grittier, and there's less massive itemization advancement.

Also it's fairly simple to get what you want. Not always easy, but simple. Roll to see if the place has it [The bigger and more advanced technologically the location, the more likely they are to have things] and roll to see if you can afford it [A bunch of modifiers versus your Profit Factor, equal or under you buy it.] And you can just start the game with power armor. Common quality Power Armor for 1 person is a +0 modifier, of which you are totally allowed to start the game with any one item you can use at that level.

So Power Armor isn't this gee wiz end game thing you work 100 hours to get. It could just be a thing you have, moment one, because that fits your character. And if not, it's something you can get relatively quickly if you care about it and the GM doesn't think it breaks anything. Which it doesn't, because conversely someone else could start with a melta gun that completely negates that armor. Really big armor and really big guns are as present as the GM wants them to be, and in the face of that the bolter is cool but not ground breaking. You are a Rogue Trader and their retinue, you are not chumps. You have the best of all possible gear that humanity [And others] have to offer. You are not dicking around with a flashlight and a sharp stick.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tricky posted:

Nope, it's supposed to be for Yrliet but they gave it contradictory requirements. Either toybox it or ignore it.

I don't know why it even has additional restrictions. She's the only party member who even has that Asuryan passive, isn't she? Nobody else would be able to use it anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Schubalts posted:

I don't know why it even has additional restrictions. She's the only party member who even has that Asuryan passive, isn't she? Nobody else would be able to use it anyway.

Those restrictions are default on normal human equipment. They were probably copypasted from a different gun and forgot to remove them.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Factotum!

I demand new clothes!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Complications posted:

This game is great. I just got done with Janus.

Upon seeing the Craftworld Eldar Ranger helping an imperial governor my suspicions were raised instantly, and the governor playing innocent about the xeno did not allay them. Hearing the otherwise docile planet was starting to mutate ticked the suspicion counter up even further. Then the ranger openly told me that she was there on a mission regarding the governor, and that this was a loving Eldar Maiden World. Yeah, sure, okay. All of this is a total coincidence, I'm sure. So I go find the rebel base, run everything down and surprise loving surprise there's Eldar helping the rebels and there's a Farseer tinkering with a Webway portal with more idiot rebel help. And the ranger is under the Farseer's direct command.

So I killed them all. I do not need a newly functional webway portal on one of my planets when the Dark Eldar are loving about. Then I went back and prepared to execute the governor for being stupid enough to employ a Craftworld loving Eldar, and surprise surprise she's a filthy heretic. I'm going to stop giving governors and nobles the benefit of the doubt and just execute them when I suspect treachery. This sector has gotten out of control and this poo poo needs to stop.

The only part of this that I have questions about is that the Eldar Ranger had voice lines, which has been heretofore confined to companions. Something for a Heretic run I suppose. I can't imagine how anybody who wasn't dumb enough to be a heretic would want that as a companion. Having the Interrogator along is bad enough.

Yeah, those guys hurt. Not the enemies, though.

EDIT:

He died round one because my psykers do enough damage that I didn't want to find out what he'd do.

What you can do instead is Yrliet is a companion, probably the most fleshed out one in the game, and you can ally yourself with the eldar on the planet where they'll pose as the governers, guard the portal, and maintain stewardship while giving you all the profit, and they maintain that alliance indefinitely. Despite being only a single part of chapter 2 it's referenced and brought back several times. Cooperation/Iconoclast ftw.

Honestly one of the things I think is a bit of the weakness of the game, dogmatic choices usually just cut you off from content/dialog early. They don't add much new of your own. Heretic and Iconoclast usually offer more expansions to the story and more character interaction. I guess narratively that works though, If you're roleplaying as a blind fanatic of the imperium you're gonna end up not really knowing whats going on anywhere.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 17, 2023

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

What you can do instead is Yrliet is a companion, probably the most fleshed out one in the game, and you can ally yourself with the eldar on the planet where they'll pose as the governers, guard the portal, and maintain stewardship while giving you all the profit, and they maintain that alliance indefinitely. Despite being only a single part of chapter 2 it's referenced and brought back several times. Cooperation/Iconoclast ftw.

You can also do some checks, talk things out with Yrliet, and she decides the Farseer is being a hosed up manipulative dude who needs to die -- so despite also going for the Iconoclast route, I fought them (and the cultist Governor, ofc) and installed a new government because neither side actually cared about the people involved.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tricky posted:

You can also do some checks, talk things out with Yrliet, and she decides the Farseer is being a hosed up manipulative dude who needs to die -- so despite also going for the Iconoclast route, I fought them (and the cultist Governor, ofc) and installed a new government because neither side actually cared about the people involved.

Yeah I'm surprised by the reactivity and branches the game has, there feels like a lot for even smaller segments and scenes, even if in the end any particular choice doesn't have tremendous consequences. People talking about the imperial bureaucracy scene for instance, theres a lot of ways that can go down that still ends up with you achieving the goal.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

This game lies a bit.
"Choose this and gain +5 profit factor". Yeah you get that and you also lose 60 profit factor. :lmao:

I'm just gonna re-roll that choice.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah, I really appreciated how much the ending slides called back to all these little decisions and branches throughout the game. I think there are some narrative things that feel weirdly tuned -- conviction points and reputation particularly are strict enough that you can't get the threshold for allying with factions or hit the top end conviction checks without playing absolutely perfectly. Nothing that was really material, but I must have missed out on a ton of conviction from broken quests because I was otherwise extremely thorough in clearing out quests/rumors/explorations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I am seeing genuine differing levels of opinions on how hosed act 4 and beyond are? I bought the game cause the early consensus seemed to be "this game is in a better shape than the Pathfinder games were" but then as more people starting hitting the bits that weren't in the beta, that seemed to shift.

I was thinking I'd park my character as I get to the end of act 3 and go play other stuff, wait for them to patch it a bit. Is that necessary though? I guess it's very subjective ultimately.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There is even a dogmatic choice for cooperation where you tell the filthy xenos they can live out in the jungles and coexist with some level of cooperation but humans will only be ruled by humans. I appreciate how much this game lets you get away with so long as you can justify it For The Emperor.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

So I am seeing genuine differing levels of opinions on how hosed act 4 and beyond are? I bought the game cause the early consensus seemed to be "this game is in a better shape than the Pathfinder games were" but then as more people starting hitting the bits that weren't in the beta, that seemed to shift.

I was thinking I'd park my character as I get to the end of act 3 and go play other stuff, wait for them to patch it a bit. Is that necessary though? I guess it's very subjective ultimately.

New patch next thursday/friday that's going to tackle chapter 4/other lategame bugs, so you might not have to wait long if it's a substantial one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Issaries posted:

This game lies a bit.
"Choose this and gain +5 profit factor". Yeah you get that and you also lose 60 profit factor. :lmao:

I'm just gonna re-roll that choice.

What do you mean? You clicked one button and gained 5 and lost 60 at the same time?

Also, does anyone know how the cargo system works. Like, what's the point of cargo going over 100%? Am I supposed to be playing tetris with my cargo before selling it?

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 17, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the % adds up to a full unit of that type of cargo.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

SHISHKABOB posted:

What do you mean? You clicked one button and gained 5 and lost 60 at the same time?
Yes. It was one of the Foulstone colony events.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

the % adds up to a full unit of that type of cargo.

Yeah so am I wasting stuff if I sell when I'm over 100%? I just hit the button that sells it all. Show tradeable or whatever.

Issaries posted:

Yes. It was one of the Foulstone colony events.

Hmm that sucks.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah so am I wasting stuff if I sell when I'm over 100%? I just hit the button that sells it all. Show tradeable or whatever.

Technically yes but not in any meaningful way. If you took the time to rearrange all of your cargo so it's exactly at 100% you might squeeze out a handful of extra crates by the end of the game but it's not something you should feel the need to do.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Act 1 and Act 2 were in really good shape and nothing really bothered me. Act 3 was a big janky in places, but nothing actually broke. As soon as I started Act 4, the wheels fell off with dialogue options that hard-closed the dialogue because whatever flag they're checking for wasn't set, scenes where characters aren't even in the right place, quests that don't progress to their next objective. Sometimes I can't tell what is a bug and what is intentional. Ulfar's quest has him showing up to a dialogue without his armor on, and I was thinking it was a loving bug until I passed an awareness test for my character to realize it was all part of this social ritual.

Sharkopath posted:

New patch next thursday/friday that's going to tackle chapter 4/other lategame bugs, so you might not have to wait long if it's a substantial one.

I'll keep my eye on it... I can see the shades of where Yrliet is the most fleshed-out of the character stories (Pasqal is close behind, but everyone else trails pretty far) but I think a flag failed to set somewhere which completely broke her companion quest in Act 4.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also, does anyone know how the cargo system works. Like, what's the point of cargo going over 100%? Am I supposed to be playing tetris with my cargo before selling it?

I've got the same Q. I get that sometimes adding just the one rifle will make "a stack of rifles" go from 98 to 103 or something, which is fine ; but some stacks go to like 135% which seems wasteful ? There doesn't seem to be a way to automagically re-balance cargo stacks, either.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Act 1 and Act 2 were in really good shape and nothing really bothered me. Act 3 was a big janky in places, but nothing actually broke. As soon as I started Act 4, the wheels fell off with dialogue options that hard-closed the dialogue because whatever flag they're checking for wasn't set, scenes where characters aren't even in the right place, quests that don't progress to their next objective. Sometimes I can't tell what is a bug and what is intentional. Ulfar's quest has him showing up to a dialogue without his armor on, and I was thinking it was a loving bug until I passed an awareness test for my character to realize it was all part of this social ritual.

I'll keep my eye on it... I can see the shades of where Yrliet is the most fleshed-out of the character stories (Pasqal is close behind, but everyone else trails pretty far) but I think a flag failed to set somewhere which completely broke her companion quest in Act 4.

Yeah I've never heard of anybody getting Yrliets full ending, it seems that flag for sidequest completion is just broken currently. I'm gonna wait since I was just about to go there.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
I told the Liege I was going into the quarantine zone, but then did the Jae warehouse quest. Now the exterminator captain won't let me into the quarantine zone and the journal says "The Lord Captain decided not to personally investigate the quarantine zone. Wait for the situation to resolve itself."

Is this a big and what did I miss out on?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

SonOfGhostDad posted:

I told the Liege I was going into the quarantine zone, but then did the Jae warehouse quest. Now the exterminator captain won't let me into the quarantine zone and the journal says "The Lord Captain decided not to personally investigate the quarantine zone. Wait for the situation to resolve itself."

A giant bum rush by a bunch of infected, and then a small room filled with a ton of mutants and an adequate bolter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SonOfGhostDad posted:

You van go back later and still finish the quest.