Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Has anybody visited the Third Man Records shop in London? I’m there for a couple of days in January but only have so much time to spare so don’t know if it’s worth a visit or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

haha have you tried the qr codes on that art piece?

I did, nothing came up. :(

Also it's kinda weird that we don't really use :saddowns: anymore. At least I never see it used. So often I want to express that emotion but then I get kinda eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about it. I guess we done growed up.

Edit: also pour one out for :downsrim:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hexwren posted:

(from the free-except-for-ten-bucks-shipping sale - I'm still missing one record I ordered in that bunch, but it also hasn't shipped, so I assume it'll pop up at random in a month or three, or it'll get cancelled eventually. if it goes to spring, then I'll email and yell at them)

Oh good, not just me then. I’m still waiting on one Tom Petty record.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I did, nothing came up. :(

Also it's kinda weird that we don't really use :saddowns: anymore. At least I never see it used. So often I want to express that emotion but then I get kinda eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about it. I guess we done growed up.

Edit: also pour one out for :downsrim:

Not suprised, they're all to dead code cards from the Pokémon TCG as that's what I made the piece from. Glad you like it as I wasn't quite sure what to do with it after I finished it forever ago. It was the right size for packing material for the records so... (and I need to learn how to part with my artwork anyways if I want to try selling things in the future).

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
So I ordered this Audio-Technica Audio Technica AT-LP3XBT-WH Bluetooth Turntable Belt Drive Fully Automatic 33/45 (White) https://a.co/d/iQV1hKV as a gift for someone who wants to get into vinyl. It looks like a solid entry level player with a good upgrade path and it was on sale for $250. My understanding is at least at first I can get away with the integrated preamp but according to my research I’ll need some powered speakers until such time as I want to get a dedicated preamp and better speakers. I was recommended edifier speakers but I’m wondering which would suit my needs for a smallish basement room maybe 12 x 15 ish?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
These are the speakers I use in my bedroom and they're great

Micca PB42X Powered Bookshelf Speakers, 30-Watt RMS Power, Active Near Field Studio Monitors, 2-Way (Black, Pair) https://a.co/d/aNAu5UY

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

IUG posted:

Oh good, not just me then. I’m still waiting on one Tom Petty record.

It's the Stones for me, but yeah, I could swear I heard someone else (might have been you) earlier in the thread talking about how something hadn't shipped, so otherwise, I'd be a bit more nervous than I am.

e: oh, also, anyone know about any record stores in the colorado springs/pueblo, co area? I'll be up there over the holiday, might get a day of shopping in. I doubt I'll be able to spend any time in denver apart from the airport itself, but I'll also take recommendations for the city in case my schedule opens up

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 16, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

So I ordered this Audio-Technica Audio Technica AT-LP3XBT-WH Bluetooth Turntable Belt Drive Fully Automatic 33/45 (White) https://a.co/d/iQV1hKV as a gift for someone who wants to get into vinyl. It looks like a solid entry level player with a good upgrade path and it was on sale for $250. My understanding is at least at first I can get away with the integrated preamp but according to my research I’ll need some powered speakers until such time as I want to get a dedicated preamp and better speakers. I was recommended edifier speakers but I’m wondering which would suit my needs for a smallish basement room maybe 12 x 15 ish?

Is this also a gift or for you?

If it’s for you and you can wait until after the holidays, you will see a lot of used AV gear on craigslist/facebook marketplace and in thrift stores if you’re diligent. An older AV receiver (preferably with phono stage, but not necessarily) or old stereo receiver gives you a way bigger “upgrade path” than a pair of powered monitors. The biggest piece in the upgrade path chain to me is always speakers, and active monitors lock you in. Monitors are also typically (but not always) designed for near field listening, with a narrow sweet spot, but if this is for a listening room where multiple people would be hanging out, you might want speakers with a wider stage, ability to add a sub, etc.

If you wait until after Christmas there will be used stuff out there as people donate their nice old gear to plug in the sound bar they got as a gift.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

BigFactory posted:

Is this also a gift or for you?

If it’s for you and you can wait until after the holidays, you will see a lot of used AV gear on craigslist/facebook marketplace and in thrift stores if you’re diligent. An older AV receiver (preferably with phono stage, but not necessarily) or old stereo receiver gives you a way bigger “upgrade path” than a pair of powered monitors. The biggest piece in the upgrade path chain to me is always speakers, and active monitors lock you in. Monitors are also typically (but not always) designed for near field listening, with a narrow sweet spot, but if this is for a listening room where multiple people would be hanging out, you might want speakers with a wider stage, ability to add a sub, etc.

If you wait until after Christmas there will be used stuff out there as people donate their nice old gear to plug in the sound bar they got as a gift.

I’m a roundabout way sure this is a gift sort of for me too but it will live at my gfs place. The monitors are just to give her a “complete” gift that’s actually functional the day she gets it but yes that is a good idea to hit up thrift stores after the holidays. I don’t see the monitors as “locking in” considering I can use them elsewhere.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

hexwren posted:

It's the Stones for me, but yeah, I could swear I heard someone else (might have been you) earlier in the thread talking about how something hadn't shipped, so otherwise, I'd be a bit more nervous than I am.

They sent me an email on my order saying they were having production issues on a number of titles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I don’t understand these sales then. I figured this was clearing out stock on stuff, not manufacturing and selling them for bare minimum profit. I know the shipping costs are paying this, but my last order with them was Stones and Any Whinehouse (both of which I got), which is four records. Shipping was under $30, so that would be like $7 a record, including whatever the real shipping cost is.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found a pretty beat original pressing of Trout Mask Replica for $6. Took a chance that it would clean up. The music is louder than the crackles, so I'm considering that a win! In all honestly, a light crackle under the music doesn't hurt this album...

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I finally managed to get my hands on an album I've been chasing for a reasonable price for a decade:

it's a shame the obi strip is missing but you can't win them all. I've been having a bit of luck on eBay with records that no one else bids on recently, also got a couple of black moth super rainbow records the same way this year

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Nice, that is dope as hell. Great artwork too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Did anyone order anything from Blue Note on black friday? Every day they push my estimated shipping date +1 day lol

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's too late for this year, but what are some good Christmas records for a family setting? Is one of the Firestone records like secretly good or something? Should I drop my Perry Como Christmas album for a Bing Crosby one? (Probably as it was very mediocre).

Somebody's gotta have some good recommendations for lesser known Christmas albums, I'm tired of putting on the stuff we've had for decades and don't have enough new stuff myself to fill an evening.

Also to my suprise, Google says the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation soundtrack does not have a vinyl release. It feels like they should have done it for an RSD by now. There is however both a somewhat uncommon official CD and a slightly more common pirate CDr. Not sure if I'll spring for a real CD copy but I thought I was on to something looking for a physical of it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Turbinosamente posted:

It's too late for this year, but what are some good Christmas records for a family setting? Is one of the Firestone records like secretly good or something? Should I drop my Perry Como Christmas album for a Bing Crosby one? (Probably as it was very mediocre).

Somebody's gotta have some good recommendations for lesser known Christmas albums, I'm tired of putting on the stuff we've had for decades and don't have enough new stuff myself to fill an evening.

Also to my suprise, Google says the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation soundtrack does not have a vinyl release. It feels like they should have done it for an RSD by now. There is however both a somewhat uncommon official CD and a slightly more common pirate CDr. Not sure if I'll spring for a real CD copy but I thought I was on to something looking for a physical of it.

The Spector Christmas album is a classic, although the rerelease cover is way weirder than the original.

A Very Special Christmas is pretty fun too.

Never got a vinyl release, but Just Say Noel is my favorite since it has Beck’s Little Drum Machine Boy on it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

So the best one is Bob Dylan’s Christmas in the Heart, which had a vinyl release last year.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

J.D. McPherson "Socks" is a good throwback rocker of an xmas album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO6uce7OIkY
Colemine has been promoting Kelly Finnigan "A Joyful Sound" and they usually put out good stuff. I haven't heard it. Years of retail/corporate restaurants ruined the whole season for me, especially the music.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 26, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I got my wife the Brain Setzer records one year, and we put those on usually every year while decorating the living room.

The only downside was that I got her tickets to see him live for one of his Christmas shows, but he canceled and stopped performing due to him getting tinnitus. These records were a substitution for that.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I will always recommend the Charlie Brown Christmas record, other than the nostalgia factor it’s just solid mid century jazz. Otherwise I have two Amy Grant Christmas records; I cannot say if they are “good” because I’m too biased by nostalgia.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's a Holiday Soul Party by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings is my second favorite Christmas album, behind Charlie Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL19eKEa3CY

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Turbinosamente posted:

Get these.

There are a couple of other ones that are pretty solid too, but the above four are the essentials.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

https://youtu.be/i4Sf22I2pDU?si=QwqDhPaLHXCDk1qM

I really like Kelly Finnigan’s Christmas record from a few years ago and if you can find it the Soul Santas is really good too.

https://youtu.be/AaI8vEW8sm0?si=Qo_EsGZNG_SJllGM

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
August Burns Red's Sleddin' Hill

Wrap your family with the warm, cozy sounds of blastbeats and breakdowns.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out over the next couple of days, even the blast beats, lol. I'll even give the Charlie Brown soundtrack a shot, since most people only ever play Linus and Lucy from it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Christmas present to myself

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Turbinosamente posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out over the next couple of days, even the blast beats, lol. I'll even give the Charlie Brown soundtrack a shot, since most people only ever play Linus and Lucy from it.

One more really good one I forgot to mention:

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My favorite christmas album is Bad Religion's Christmas Songs

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Got some Xmas money from the in-laws so I headed over to the local record store

grabbed

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Circa Survive - Two Dreams
Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
Bright Eyes - The People's Key

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Local store had 15% off all new vinyl so went down and got Siamese Dreams.

They had the Mellon Collie box set but it’ll have to wait as I’ve spent too much this holiday season. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 27, 2023

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

In the last few weeks with xmas presents and sales, my wife and I have obtained the following:

Modest Mouse: Moon and Antarctica
Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever
Beck: Colors
Beck: Sea Change
Beck: Mutations
King Gizzard: Nonagon Infinity
Caribou: Andorra
Ogre You rear end in a top hat: Outside the House

This is what happens when I unbox my collection again.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
"The South got something to say!" Southern rap has now expanded into its own section on my shelves.

Turbinosamente posted:

It's too late for this year, but what are some good Christmas records for a family setting?

It's old-timey style, but I love the Jim Nabors Christmas album, he rules. :dance:

I love that album!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Tom Petty: Full Moon Fever

nice how much did you get this for if you dont mind me asking? is there a recent reissue? i have a copy in my discogs cart but its $45 :ohdear: i couldnt find it at any of my local shops

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Okay I've hit up as many of the Christmas suggestions as I can, and due to budgetary constraints, I think I'm going to start with Socks, Ella Fitzgerald, and Soulful Strings. The latter two are even on sale in Udiscover's store (30% off sitewide and free US shipping apparently). I've got all the suggestions in various wishlists for the next round later, thanks all for some excellent stuff.

Oh, and for my own nostalgia tinged suggestion, Pick any Canadian Brass Christmas album. Thanks to Mom playing ours every year, it's the one album of our old Christmas poo poo I somehow never tire of, and it's why I deeply associate brass instruments with Christmas. Perhaps the Herb Alpert tolerance began here??

edit: And I missed Burn After Reading's suggestion by taking too long to post :negative: Also forgot about Jim Nabors, never did watch much Andy Griffith to be fair.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 28, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Turbinosamente posted:

edit: And I missed Burn After Reading's suggestion by taking too long to post :negative: Also forgot about Jim Nabors, never did watch much Andy Griffith to be fair.

Check this out, it's a video essay thingy but it's very, very good (re. Jim Nabors, particularly him being closeted and being the gay icon he rightfully is!). Highly recommend Matt Baume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMn2gOqoJw

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 28, 2023

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

thathonkey posted:

nice how much did you get this for if you dont mind me asking? is there a recent reissue? i have a copy in my discogs cart but its $45 :ohdear: i couldnt find it at any of my local shops

I think I got it on amazon for around $30. Pretty sure it's a reissue. drat, I forgot. I also snagged Beach Boys Pet Sounds off Sound of Vinyl during their sale.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Read After Burning posted:

Check this out, it's a video essay thingy but it's very, very good (re. Jim Nabors, particularly him being closeted and being the gay icon he rightfully is!). Highly recommend Matt Baume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMn2gOqoJw

That was a very nice video essay. Maybe I'll have to pick up the next Jim Nabors album i see in a shop or hold out for the christmas one. The epic voice does rather override my usual lack of interest in such traditional songs.

It also calls to mind when I read an interview with Barry Manilow who was similarly afraid back in the day that his career would be torpedoed if he was ever found out.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 28, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Finally got my first King Gizzard bootleg, the Fuzz Club Live in Austin 2014/2016 boxset. Sounds rad, and I grabbed Chunky Shrapnel for super cheap the other week so I've got live versions of most of their bangers. It's also reminded me that I really should sell the cassette version of 12 Bar Bruise I got when I ordered their first album on release - I sold that first pressing for rent a few years ago but the cassette is apparently going for comparable money nowadays on Discogs. Gizzard fans are insane.

Also found a nicely priced copy of Goo during the boxing day sales, so stoked to have that to listen to while reading Moore's autobiography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Only vinyl I got for Christmas was Tim-Let it Bleed edition, but it rules so no complaints.