Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

the milk machine posted:

i'm just rolling an idea around in my head, but are there any a&p mechanics here? what's that like for work? how intense is the training?

I can only speak to the training at this moment, but the job market is taking off quite quickly. The mechanic shortage is real enough that my classmates are seeing promotions within 3 months. Major airlines are hiring directly out of school and with a 1 year seniority bonus if you sign up before you graduate from some.

I did a community college program, nominally 2 years. It is 1900 hours of training, you must be able to commit to not missing class unless absolutely necessary and be able to show up on time.

This is the program I did, many community colleges have them: https://www.gavilan.edu/academic/aviation/index.php

(For that one, California residents currently get free tuition but even when it’s paid it’s quite inexpensive.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heard Norse Atlantic on the radio yesterday, the callsign “longship” is so cool.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Heard Norse Atlantic on the radio yesterday, the callsign “longship” is so cool.

:black101:

Their flight crews are chill as gently caress too.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's a charter company out of Denmark that uses "Mermaid" as a callsign. That one took me bit to figure out.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Idk if it's still around but there was a cargo outfit in Texas with the call sign "rough rider" and every time I heard it i imagined all the pilots being buff gay leather daddies

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m a grown-rear end man, I’m not saying Moonflower.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My favourite is a cargo operator in northern Canada that uses Blackfly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's a charter place out of California that uses "Twilight". Poor bastards are probably sick of sparkly vampire jokes by now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Arson Daily posted:

Idk if it's still around but there was a cargo outfit in Texas with the call sign "rough rider" and every time I heard it i imagined all the pilots being buff gay leather daddies

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I’m a grown-rear end man, I’m not saying Moonflower.

Are they still around? I remember working them all the time when I worked for arinc.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

the milk machine posted:

i'm just rolling an idea around in my head, but are there any a&p mechanics here? what's that like for work? how intense is the training?

My now former employer has a 147 program that is fairly popular. It's set up so you can do either day or night classes and can get everything done in seven semesters if you go straight through, possibly faster if you can do both days and nights.

It was also designed so a student could jump in at any point along the cycle and not be left behind, as Refreshers on most subjects were worked into each class.

The industry is short on mechanics just as they are pilots, and some airlines are starting pilot Cadet Style incentive programs. PSA was giving out complete tool boxes that were yours to keep with a 2-year commitment. They were also working on testing reimbursement. The college was leading the charge to try to get the 1900 hour requirement converted over to a credit hour based system.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just got yelled at by a KCM TSA agent with face tattoos that “yo, your names don’t match!!!” between my crew badge and my passport. My crew badge has FIRST LAST and my passport has FIRST MIDDLE LAST MOTHERSMAIDEN. A non-TSA security guard had to calm him down and explain that this is normal. He glared at me and waved me through. Very strong Idiocracy vibes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

I just got yelled at by a KCM TSA agent with face tattoos that “yo, your names don’t match!!!” between my crew badge and my passport. My crew badge has FIRST LAST and my passport has FIRST MIDDLE LAST MOTHERSMAIDEN. A non-TSA security guard had to calm him down and explain that this is normal. He glared at me and waved me through. Very strong Idiocracy vibes.

Dude I posted almost the same exact story last month. My KCM badge barcode pulled a different account and he started saying “why isn’t your last name matching this.” I had no idea what he meant by that so I start frantically looking at my passport and badge wondering if I magically swapped them with someone else while he started acting like a cop, asking me what I was trying to pull. Dude finally scanned again, it pulled up my name up and he still wouldn’t let me in.

Punk bitch.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I wish they'd just give us a crew only TSA pre line already, I don't give a poo poo about not getting my bags scanned and walking through a metal detector, I just want a shorter line being used by people that know how airport security works.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They need to get some agents at KLIH that think my jokes about how they should give them a jacket in that hot as hell terminal are funny

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Pilot humor :imunfunny:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Had my first flight today. In a 172, was pretty great. Going to do another flight in a piper archer on monday to see what I prefer.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Hell yeah! Both are great training airplanes.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

cigaw posted:

Hell yeah! Both are great training airplanes.

Totally, I think it's going to be hard to pick. I love how the piper Archer looks, and the throttle on it seems way nicer to use, but I feel like the cessna is a safer plane and having more downward visibility feels nice...

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Totally, I think it's going to be hard to pick. I love how the piper Archer looks, and the throttle on it seems way nicer to use, but I feel like the cessna is a safer plane and having more downward visibility feels nice...

I moved to a 172 from a DA20 and I miss being able to see the threshold when turning from downwind to base, but I’m a stupid newbie, mind.

After a significant living-on-a-different-continent delay with work, I’m finally going up for my mock PPL test on Monday. Assuming I don’t find another new and exciting way to disappoint my instructor, probably test next week too? Any last minute words of wisdom?

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Nofeed posted:

I moved to a 172 from a DA20 and I miss being able to see the threshold when turning from downwind to base, but I’m a stupid newbie, mind.

After a significant living-on-a-different-continent delay with work, I’m finally going up for my mock PPL test on Monday. Assuming I don’t find another new and exciting way to disappoint my instructor, probably test next week too? Any last minute words of wisdom?

Written test or Checkride?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Got my private in 2011, passed my instrument ride today. It was a harrowing experience

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Kwolok posted:

The safety records for the 172 and Warrior/Archer/Cherokee are similar enough that neither airplane of a similar vintage is inherently safer, since they both have advantages and disadvantages, and most of the accidents they're involved in are down to pilot error of various kinds.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nofeed posted:

Don't argue with the examiner, you will lose. Before *checks notes* today I thought this would be common sense, but now everyone gets reminded!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kwolok posted:

Had my first flight today. In a 172, was pretty great. Going to do another flight in a piper archer on monday to see what I prefer.

The high wing is really nice on hot days. :eng101:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PT6A posted:

Don't argue with the examiner, you will lose. Before *checks notes* today I thought this would be common sense, but now everyone gets reminded!

Sounds like there's a story to share here, suitably anonymized

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Walrusmaster posted:

Written test or Checkride?

Checkride!

PT6A posted:

If I didn't already know that you were one province east of me, I'd be convinced that you instructed at my school - we had a similar sounding event this week. For, uh, professional development reasons, mind sharing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Now is not the time to share that particular story in full. But, suffice to say, it looks like you can talk yourself from a major error into a critical error if you’re stubborn enough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Now is not the time to share that particular story in full. But, suffice to say, it looks like you can talk yourself from a major error into a critical error if you’re stubborn enough.

With enough grit and determination, anyone can turn a major error into a dangerous situation!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MrYenko posted:

With enough grit and determination, anyone can turn a major error into a dangerous situation!

I'll take one of those tshirts thank you!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

azflyboy posted:

The safety records for the 172 and Warrior/Archer/Cherokee are similar enough that neither airplane of a similar vintage is inherently safer, since they both have advantages and disadvantages, and most of the accidents they're involved in are down to pilot error of various kinds.

I guess a follow up question: within the cessna family that I could easily jump to attempt much other certifications, how fast can they go? And then comparing that to the same question for Piper's. Eventually once I've learned I'd love to take small trips to LA, so I imagine having access to whatever cruises a little fast is best.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Figure about 150MPH in a trainer type plane you could get checked out in and rent.

E. Thats a very broad number, for a very broad question. Give us a budget and you'll really find out.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kwolok posted:

I guess a follow up question: within the cessna family that I could easily jump to attempt much other certifications, how fast can they go? And then comparing that to the same question for Piper's. Eventually once I've learned I'd love to take small trips to LA, so I imagine having access to whatever cruises a little fast is best.

If you have ASEL (airplane, single-engine, land) with Complex and High-power then you can fly (nearly) any single-engine airplane less than 12,500lbs. This includes things with turbine engines. So you could go from a C-172 to a Pilatus PC-12 (with limitations) just by having whomever will rent you the plane sign off that you're good for it.

ASEL encompasses both the classic Cessna high-wing and the Piper low-wing, so even if you get training on one, you aren't REQUIRED to get training on the other to fly it, but very nearly everyone who will rent you one requires you to be "checked out" on the type before they hand you the keys.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kwolok posted:

There's no real difference and if you can fly one you can fly the other. Vintage single engine planes vary just as much airframe to airframe as they do model to model. Who knows what panel any given plane has after 50 years of a slow trickle of avionics upgrades.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Wow just @ me next time, rude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Cessnas and Pipers both go from teeny little slow trainers up to sleek fast twins. Cruise speed is directly proportional to how much money you're willing to spend.

To cruise at more than maybe 150 knots you're going to want to be making tech worker money, and to get above 200 you probably need to be a millionaire.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

To cruise at more than maybe 150 knots you're going to want to be making tech worker money,

Say, a Vans RV14 will easily do that and will be cheaper than any Cessna.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Sagebrush posted:

Cruise speed is directly proportional to how much money you're willing to spend.

Voted :five: went hog wild

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Sagebrush posted:

Cessnas and Pipers both go from teeny little slow trainers up to sleek fast twins. Cruise speed is directly proportional to how much money you're willing to spend.

To cruise at more than maybe 150 knots you're going to want to be making tech worker money, and to get above 200 you probably need to be a millionaire.

Right I have begun to realize this looking at my local flyers club rental rates. So let me put this another way: If I wanted to get proficient at a cheap but decently fast (I realize this still means slow but like fast for its class/cost) what type of aircraft should I be looking at.

I only really make enough money for a single engine standard prop aircraft, though I am still a baby who doesn't really know anything at all and am just waxing poetically about what I might do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
You're probably looking at a C182 or Piper Warrior/Cherokee. Both are likely a significant step up on rental prices compared to a 172 or an Archer.

A Van's RV or Grumman Cheetah or Tiger might be cheaper if still fast, if you can find them to rent.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 17, 2023