Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the direct hit is a straight upgrade for everyone except soldier mains who can't fathom the idea of clicking on the man instead of the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

girl dick energy posted:

Every time you post like this, you make it less and less likely that you'll convince anyone you're not bad at Engineer. Instead, try posts like:

"How can I deal with DH Soldiers as Engi?"

or

"How do I tell a good sentry spot from a bad one?"

We've been dealing with the Direct Hit for 14 years, you can figure it out, too.

Eh more often than not I do fine enough at Engineer* when it comes to positioning, as much as I gripe about the Direct Hit(though that last post of mine was me exaggerating how I feel about people who use it) it's thankfully something I don't have to deal with all that frequently when I'm on more casual servers, it's only really if I'm on Uncletopia that it really becomes a full on problem(ironically playing Engineer on those servers is often a terrible experience), admittedly some of my issues with dealing with the DH are from the fact that I pretty much never use the Wrangler(like I mentioned before I hate using that thing for a multitude of reasons) and try to not use the Short Circuit either outside of certain extreme circumstances

I do find it really silly how everyone always treats the Direct Hit as a hard counter to buildings to be the one absolutely immutable thing when it comes to hypothetical rebalancing for TF2 and act like it would ruin the game if it were no longer able to two shot a level three Sentry instead of the three that Stock needs

*most of my actual roadblock as an Engineer comes from the fact that for some odd reason my accuracy with Shotguns(and Scatterguns) in TF2 is absolutely abysmal even on servers with random bullet spread turned off, it's really unusual as my accuracy with most other weapon types in the game is fine(pretty much only Revolvers do I have a similar degree of inconsistency landing shots) and indeed other games with shotguns I don't really have this issue, just TF2

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Every time someone complains about the direct hit I shoot down another sentry nest with it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

if i am getting pestered by direct hit soldiers as a fungineer, that's usually a sign to switch tactics to level 1 sentry hero, since it still takes 2 rockets for the DH to kill a level 1 and it costs 400 metal less

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zoig posted:

Honestly i started having a lot of fun with engie once i internalized "poo poo will always get blown up" so instead of looking for perfect spots in places i dunno where they are, i use the jag and go for decent but uexpected spots, the kind they have to take time figuring out. If you get good sometimes you can do some real mean stuff on offence too.

I felt like a genius when I was 15 and first thought of setting up in the enemy sewer on 2fort

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Also as soon as the sentry gets a kill move it up just a little bit so when the guy you killed respawns and trys to take it down he gets suprised again.

Really just shuffle your sentry a lot. Even a middling player can tackle a sentry if the knows where it is in the first place

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx_e_hmC2YDmLwIbVz3zbhRSD0B_6sEWJp?si=NCDnK9p38dt_dY-S

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 17, 2023

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

drrockso20 posted:

Eh more often than not I do fine enough at Engineer* when it comes to positioning, as much as I gripe about the Direct Hit(though that last post of mine was me exaggerating how I feel about people who use it) it's thankfully something I don't have to deal with all that frequently when I'm on more casual servers, it's only really if I'm on Uncletopia that it really becomes a full on problem(ironically playing Engineer on those servers is often a terrible experience), admittedly some of my issues with dealing with the DH are from the fact that I pretty much never use the Wrangler(like I mentioned before I hate using that thing for a multitude of reasons) and try to not use the Short Circuit either outside of certain extreme circumstances

I do find it really silly how everyone always treats the Direct Hit as a hard counter to buildings to be the one absolutely immutable thing when it comes to hypothetical rebalancing for TF2 and act like it would ruin the game if it were no longer able to two shot a level three Sentry instead of the three that Stock needs

*most of my actual roadblock as an Engineer comes from the fact that for some odd reason my accuracy with Shotguns(and Scatterguns) in TF2 is absolutely abysmal even on servers with random bullet spread turned off, it's really unusual as my accuracy with most other weapon types in the game is fine(pretty much only Revolvers do I have a similar degree of inconsistency landing shots) and indeed other games with shotguns I don't really have this issue, just TF2

the Direct Hit isn't a hard counter to buildings, it's just a rocket launcher that does a bit more damage on direct hits. soldier himself is a counter to buildings

that's only really an issue if you're being too aggressive with building placement and placing them in unsafe areas, relying too heavily on the fact that very few classes are able to effectively engage a sentry from outside its range even if it's sitting there in plain sight

or if your team is defending too far behind the sentry to protect it effectively

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
if you think the direct hit is bad wait until you find out about the spy

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Peanut President posted:

if you think the direct hit is bad wait until you find out about the spy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsy1NGCcmtE

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

People are hesitant about nerfing one of the two methods for dealing with sentries comes from how annoying stacked sentries can be, especially with how multiple engineers make it much faster to replace any blown up sentry making the ability to kill both as soon as possible far more important.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

good maps are built to ensure that pretty much any sentry spot has at least one location a soldier or demo can murder the sentry from, kinda weird to tell someone "you're building sentries in bad locations if that happens" when i can't really think of any sentry locations that are protected from that. maybe on idk hoodoo.

that being said, DH soldiers in pub play i've always recalled as being the thing that makes you stop being able to 1v5 the enemy team and instead must rely on the teamwork of your teammates to deal with, or yes start playing with a mindset that assumes your impregnable fortress is actually very pregnable and embrace it.

Dabir posted:

I felt like a genius when I was 15 and first thought of setting up in the enemy sewer on 2fort

one day another video game will come that makes me feel as good as i did any time i set up a sentry nest inside the enemy team's 2fort intelligence room

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 17, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Let's erase the Wrangler then we'll talk

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The Wrangler lets engys rocket jump, how can it be bad?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Texans were not meant to fly

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

before they made you unable to repair the sentry while the wrangler is in use + make the rescue ranger repairs cost metal, i would often be able to 1v12 the entire enemy team on the first point of hoodoo while my team assumed the point was lost and waited back at second point, sometimes until round end. (valve pub servers of course, rip)

that was very funny but maybe a sign that engineer was too powerful

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

before they made you unable to repair the sentry while the wrangler is in use + make the rescue ranger repairs cost metal, i would often be able to 1v12 the entire enemy team on the first point of hoodoo while my team assumed the point was lost and waited back at second point, sometimes until round end. (valve pub servers of course, rip)

that was very funny but maybe a sign that engineer was too powerful

it's mostly a sign that hoodoo is a bad map because the way to defeat wrangler engie is to just shoot him so that he dies, which is generally possible to do unless the entire blu team is forced to funnel their way into a blind choke killzone, which is bad map design

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'd say the Wrangler still affords the sentry way too much extra tank as an easy get out of jail free card for anything but a really solid push for your sentry. Still it's much better than it was before at least and it's probably going to stay like that forever.

The fact that the 66% damage resistance/33% repair rate means that the damage to repair formula is still equal but you now have vastly more health feels weird.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 17, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

it's mostly a sign that hoodoo is a bad map because the way to defeat wrangler engie is to just shoot him so that he dies, which is generally possible to do unless the entire blu team is forced to funnel their way into a blind choke killzone, which is bad map design

broadly i agree (hoodoo is the worst map, and is exclusively good for subjecting the offensive team to stupid engineer horseshit until they quit or the map cycles) but i feel like even in a best case scenario one player shouldn't really be able to fight the entire enemy team for an extended length of time successfully, especially when even at my peak i was hardly a pro

luckily they can't anymore, or at least it's a lot harder than when i did it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

The fact that the 66% damage resistance/33% repair rate means that the damage to repair formula is still equal but you now have vastly more health feels weird.

for some reason i was under the impression that the wrangler currently disables all repairing, but i guess i misremembered the current state of the game. embarassing!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Nope you repair it at a slower rate but it's still pretty much equivalent to the amount of damage the sentry taken. Which is still better than when there was no reduction at all to the amount of repairing done to a sentry meaning a wrangled sentry was basically invincible especially once the rescue ranger was added.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Vizuyos posted:

the Direct Hit isn't a hard counter to buildings, it's just a rocket launcher that does a bit more damage on direct hits. soldier himself is a counter to buildings

Yeah, the thing is that a sentry (any level) is pretty hard area denial to everyone other than soldier, demo, spy, and pocketed heavy, though only scout and pyro have any business loving off alone into enemy territory like that.

It's annoying to face sentries as a scout or pyro but it's fine as a game design thing. The flip side is that the engie's counters should be able to shut him down about as easily as engie shuts down the classes he counters.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

ChaseSP posted:

you forgot the 1% giving up rate

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Let's erase the Wrangler then we'll talk

I mean I've been pretty consistent about the Wrangler needing to get smacked hard with the nerf hammer, I think chopping that 66% damage resistance in half down to 33% would be a good start, maybe even lower if needed(though I do think getting rid of it entirely is a bad idea)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

drrockso20 posted:

I mean I've been pretty consistent about the Wrangler needing to get smacked hard with the nerf hammer, I think chopping that 66% damage resistance in half down to 33% would be a good start, maybe even lower if needed(though I do think getting rid of it entirely is a bad idea)

Are you also reading the posts that have good advice about how to play Engi better, or just the posts you have glib answers for?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

drrockso20 posted:

See if I encounter a Soldier actually good with the Direct Hit in using it against other people they have my respect, for the majority of people I see who equip it solely to deal with nests they're otherwise too incompetent to deal with I have nothing but naked disdain for and wish bad things upon them

Well in this case their team does benefit from your sentry nest being gone but also suffers for having an incompetent solider who can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Your teammates can hopefully take advantage of that weakness to pick off what should be one of the enemy team’s powerhouses and push the line in their direction, or better yet coordinate with you to force the solider into PvP combat before they can finish destroying your nest.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think he wants to be told how to play engie better, it sounds like he's confident his play is fine (and it may very well be, the criticisms made like "don't put your sentry in a place where a ranged sightline from any angle may exist" aren't terribly compelling) and he thinks the direct hit is just too punishing

i don't agree but how he's reacting does not seem surprising or unusual. it's entirely possible he's a reasonably competent player who has come to a disagreeable conclusion, it's a little weird to assume that it must be a skill issue that simply requires glib education to fix

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are plenty of good sentry placements that don't have line of sight to anywhere that a soldier can spam from uncontested! The key is the "uncontested" word - your team needs to be in front of the sentry contesting the places where it could be spammed down from. If your team is fighting behind the sentry and not contesting those spots then you're de facto in a bad position because you're too far forward.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would not assume that a team is competently contesting all angles they should be contesting from tbh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, you gotta read the situation and set up accordingly. If they're not covering one angle, move your gun so that it's not spammable from that angle (even if that opens it up to being spammed from somewhere that your team is contesting).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the DH is fine by more or less the same token. as an engineer you sat down in a spot and invalidated any non-uber push from the enemy team that comes from 3 out of 4 attack angles. if you can invalidate that many attack angles all by yourself, yes if your team does not cover the remaining angle your team deserves to lose

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

Yeah, you gotta read the situation and set up accordingly. If they're not covering one angle, move your gun so that it's not spammable from that angle (even if that opens it up to being spammed from somewhere that your team is contesting).

i'll admit i haven't played much tf2 in a while but i can't say i could ever assume consistency in which angles my team was covering either. the true answer is to relax and care less about your precious engie nest getting destroyed because realistically it's gonna happen, something will slip through the cracks and then you get to experience the critical "respawn mechanic" that most players must go through

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I just assume any nest I build as engineer will likely get destroyed unless it's a total stomp. Your stuff exists as a temporary delaying measure to hopefully buy the rest of your team enough space to win the objective.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ditocoaf posted:

One reason TF3 won't happen is that the nine characters are too beloved to ditch, but you'd want to develop new characters, but Team Fortress with dozens of classes wouldn't be good.

Actually wait, as I wrote that I realized it's easy to solve by maintaining nine classes but having different characters for each class (either entirely cosmetic or with incredibly slight differences, but all sharing the class features and weapons). I don't know if I like that, but maybe.

You gotta know that no TF3, if such a thing ever exists somehow, is going to have fewer of anything, except maybe as a matter of needing time to catch up to 2's catalogue.

Each class should have 2 or 3 subclasses that have a different weapon loadout imho

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Each class should have 2 or 3 subclasses that have a different weapon loadout imho

if the weapon loadouts are locked, that's just classes with more steps

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

See the way I see it for a hypothetical TF3(assuming it to be a wholly new game and not just TF2 ported over to Source 2 with some new stuff added) the expectations regarding the existing cast would be too high to reuse them, so a new playable cast would be the direction to go

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

I'd say the Wrangler still affords the sentry way too much extra tank as an easy get out of jail free card for anything but a really solid push for your sentry.

Persistent soldier/demos can still destroy things, but it takes more than one volley.

Wrangler already took a huge nerf when they added damage spread for long range. The same update also increased the delay before a sentry returns to auto mode.

Wrangler is balanced because the shield isn't that powerful and the best uses require level 3 rockets. Rocket blasting a pile of demo stickies away from sentry will never get old.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWwdidiSAEU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Could not agree more.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
There is absolutely nothing keeping people from running community servers and reliving The Good Ol Days with your gathering of LLJKGOONSLOL

I blame all those servers with their "premium features" mods, abusive server admins, and their artificially inflated their connected player accounts ,etc.. for killing how Quickplay used to work. Just having active moderation from valve (lol) to ban those servers that abused quickplay would have been ideal rather than scrapping it all together. Perhaps the overwatch hype didn't help.

I play casual a lot and I think it is fundamentally fine as it is now. It only has a few problems and it comes from valve not actively moderating the game against bot swarms/edgy gamers/human cheaters that 6stack the queue which makes it impossible to vote kick them because tie votes fail.

Warpy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Warpy posted:

There is absolutely nothing keeping people from running community servers and reliving The Good Ol Days with your gathering of LLJKGOONSLOL

I blame all those servers with their "premium features" mods, abusive server admins, and their artificially inflated their connected player accounts ,etc.. for killing how Quickplay used to work. Just having active moderation from valve (lol) to ban those servers that abused quickplay would have been ideal rather than scrapping it all together. Perhaps the overwatch hype didn't help.

I play casual a lot and I think it is fundamentally fine as it is now. It only has a few problems and it comes from valve not actively moderating the game against bot swarms/edgy gamers/human cheaters that 6stack the queue which makes it impossible to vote kick them because tie votes fail.

community servers live and die on their steady intake of new players. Every server is going to have attrition in its playerbase so if new players aren't being attracted a server will inevitably die. In early TF2, this was no problem: new players were fed into the server list as their only way of playing and good servers attracted enough players to sustain themselves fairly easily. After MYM(and to a less extent Quick Play), though, this was no longer the case. New players picking up TF2 were instead funneled directly into the convenient default option: Casual. The river that fed new players into community servers dried up in an instant, because 99% of people who pick up the game are just gonna queue into matchmaking. The game directs them to it, it's very prominent and, these days, it resembles what they do in other games. This killed the vast majority of community servers, and it didn't improve the game at all. Matchmaking is convenient for players and developers in some ways, but for something like casual TF2 it results in a markedly worse experience.