Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That or replacing your subtitles with a more compatible format that doesn't need transcoding. I talk about this in previous posts of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can you even get a good quality tv without a smart OS built in these days?

Not really, but it's easy to just not connect your smart TV to the WiFi. Most TVs these days have the option to default to an input on power on and just bypass the smart features entirely.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
A recent Samsung we bought at work pops the smart EULA every time you turn it on until you accept and connect to a network, which feels like the future we're heading towards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That sucks. Did you ever connect it?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Qwijib0 posted:

A recent Samsung we bought at work pops the smart EULA every time you turn it on until you accept and connect to a network, which feels like the future we're heading towards.

I'd buy a gun just to take this tv out back and shoot it

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

That sucks. Did you ever connect it?

No, we just leave it on all the time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Don't blame you, but I bet a lot of people do the same thing, and it just really warms my heart to consider the energy use implications of this bullshit.

(Samsung's bullshit. And everybody else's I'm sure.)

I'm having a cranky day.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Qwijib0 posted:

Does it have a sleep or low power mode after leaving it on or do you need to bow to the corporate EULA even after that?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just sign the tv into a temporary network. agree to terms, update it or whatever and then never connect it to a network again.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sellouts posted:

Just sign the tv into a temporary network. agree to terms, update it or whatever and then never connect it to a network again.

It seems so obvious now that you've written it out, it makes me wonder why OP didn't think of it themselves :rolleyes:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Setting my plex up after a year. Just decided to go through the hassle of putting my TV section back in.

It's just... Not matching. I have a folder, it's "Channel 4 (UK) Documentaries", with the single episode inside labelled completely correctly. I can find it if I google search, here it is:

https://watch.plex.tv/en-GB/show/channel-4-uk-documentaries/

But if I try and match it in Plex it just comes up with absolute garbage. Like utter nonsense results, the closest I can get is some random australian documentary channel. I can't even get it to match "Channel 4". If I switch back to the old tvdb agent, it matches it properly, but now I have a "YOUR AGENT IS OLD UPDATE TO OURS" nag in my dashboard.

Even the old trick of putting the URL into the matcher doesn't work. What is this!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

with the single episode inside labelled completely correctly

Do you match The TV DB? The first episode should be S1982E01. Do you have it in a Season 1982 directory (not always necessary)?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Documentaries, particularly British ones for some reason, are an unholy nightmare.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warbird posted:

Documentaries, particularly British ones for some reason, are an unholy nightmare.

This feels like title text.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yep, it's all correctly labelled. Correct folders, correctly formatted, I went through it all a few years back and did it up nice. It wouldn't let me match to thetvdb until I set that as the agent, at which point everything matched perfectly first try, no need for me to step in at all. It wasn't just that one episode either, it was literally half the library, most of which is weird or rare ancient british television.

I'll just grumble and gripe and live with this stupid arrow in my dashboard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nettle Soup posted:

Yep, it's all correctly labelled. Correct folders, correctly formatted, I went through it all a few years back and did it up nice. It wouldn't let me match to thetvdb until I set that as the agent, at which point everything matched perfectly first try, no need for me to step in at all. It wasn't just that one episode either, it was literally half the library, most of which is weird or rare ancient british television.

I'll just grumble and gripe and live with this stupid arrow in my dashboard.

What's the file name, I want to see if I can recreate the issue you're experiencing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

I dunno, they must have been pretty loving good to get 1982 seasons, even taking into account BBC's lower episode count/season :stare:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Try these two, and don't judge me, the first one is absolutely hillarious. Get some friends together with some drinks, put it on and die laughing as a man gimps his way away into the woods. Although it should be E16, not 17, things've moved about a bit over the years I think.

This is what they look like when properly matched:

I don't think subfolders would help, I can't even match the main catagory with what plex wants me to use. It can't even match Eurovision. It keeps giving me some random-rear end spin-off series.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 18, 2023

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Try changing the name of the folder to Channel 4 (UK) Documentaries (1982) {tvdb-81903} and see if that helps match it. I would also create a folder in that one called Season 2016 and then put the actual video file into the Season 2016 folder.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Where are people even buying Nvidia Shield Pro's these days, looks OOS everywhere and only used / marked up ones on ebay.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Try these two, and don't judge me, the first one is absolutely hillarious. Get some friends together with some drinks, put it on and die laughing as a man gimps his way away into the woods. Although it should be E16, not 17, things've moved about a bit over the years I think.

This is what they look like when properly matched:

I don't think subfolders would help, I can't even match the main catagory with what plex wants me to use. It can't even match Eurovision. It keeps giving me some random-rear end spin-off series.

OP, restart your plex server. I had an issue where it was dropping matches and couldn't pull up any drat thing despite nothing changing with the files. Bouncing the service and rematching got things to play along nicely.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

That Works posted:

Where are people even buying Nvidia Shield Pro's these days, looks OOS everywhere and only used / marked up ones on ebay.

Amazon might have them.

I ended up getting one from a local shop

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bonzo posted:

Amazon might have them.

I ended up getting one from a local shop

They don't sadly. Same for all the retailers that the Nvidia site links out from (B+H, Microcenter, Best Buy etc).

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

MagusDraco posted:

I think the plex subtitles being turned on should be fine. It's when somehow you also enable the OS level ones for plex (the ones built into the TV with white text on black background that are in accessibility settings) that it breaks

Just to follow up on this, I reset the TV and that seems to have fixed it. Yay.

I also ordered a usb cable for the IR dongle so I can go back to using the PC.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I rebooted plex, messed about, set the scanner to the new one and it held onto all the matches. Woop!

Then I added a new thing to the Eurovision folder (I have most finals going back to 1956 because my mum was obsessed with it) and the problem is still there, it's just not unmatching the stuff I matched before. "eurovision" "eurovision song contest", or any variant of, got me, at best, https://thetvdb.com/series/eurovision-your-country-needs-you. Piss off Andrew, get outta here you tory.

After some trying, the tvdb id doesn't work, urls don't work, correct spelling doesn't work. What did eventually work was putting in both the correct capitalisation and 1956 as the year when matching. Nothing else even came close, when before on the old agent it just worked. Perfectly, if slowly. God help you if you don't know it started in 1956! You live in the andrew loyd webber pit now, with all the reject dorothies.

This was the default automatch result for "eurovision" if I told it I didn't want the one above.

Anyway, I'm mostly just grumbling for the sake of it. I wish it didn't erase your search term and year every time you have to go back when matching. I haven't even touched that folder in the last 5 years or so, so now that it's matched and I've put the single "new" series I want to watch in there, hopefully it can just look after itself.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
For those that want to rename a lot of stuff , like turning "Season 1" in a filename to "S01" , look up PowerRename in Windows

If you know a bit about Regular Expression (my first official job was taking care of a perl script so I had to learn it) and know how to match capturing groups and returning the text of those groups, it gets even better.

This video is a demo of the above problem live.
https://youtu.be/Wv_aMc5vHqY

With power rename and looking up how TVDB sorts the episodes of the show, it gets better than paying $X of money for a license to use another popular tool out there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

BulkRenameUtility is pretty good too, and I'm pretty sure it's free if you're not a business.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'll vouch for the imaginatively-named Rename My TV Series v2 - it's cross-platform, completely free of charge, and will both rename files and sort them into folders if you want.

I like that it's a 'this is everything the TVDB knows about this series, now go match the files you have against them' sort of thing, rather than an a hands-off fire-and-forget scanner, as it's helpful for awkwardly-named DVD extras. It's a little finicky when dealing with multiple episodes - the old s01e01e02e03 business - but overall it's a really, really useful bit of software.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Also remember that if a file has embedded metadata, that usually overrides whatever Plex finds.
That's my experience at least.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

spincube posted:

I'll vouch for the imaginatively-named Rename My TV Series v2 - it's cross-platform, completely free of charge, and will both rename files and sort them into folders if you want.

Oh cool. Installed it and it looks great.

The app I was talking about before was :bahgawd: Filebot :balldo:. Which is $6 a year which is annoying because I might use such an app like 1-3 times a year. While Filebot can also do movies, those problems are less of a problem.

TV episodes can get way worse and my last battle was getting the final episodes of Attack on Titan

First the numbering system. Long running shows use both numbering schemes of episode # in airing order or S04E## like normal. In this case, both S04E28 is also episode 87. TVDB uses S04E## ordering so no problem.

NOW THE loving HELL - Read if you want to wince along.

You watch what they call "The Final Chapters" and there were two different ways to watch it. You can watch it episodically through episodes S04E29-35 -or- watch two specials marked as SP-1 and SP-2 which is all the content in two long airings.

I downloaded all the episodes and they refused to load into Plex. Then I looked up TVDB and it looks like the end of the season finished on episode 30 so 5 episodes are missing.

:bighow:

Then I thought, maybe it's just looking for the two specials. I got them, put them into the directory and it instantly picked it up. Now the season ends with SP-1 and SP-2 and because TVDB refuses to consider anything else besides these two specials, the rest of the episodes were worthless.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

NOW THE loving HELL - Read if you want to wince along.

*anime has entered the chat*

Now imagine if all your shows where just numbered 1 > infinity instead of by season, and they all had a bunch of specials and movies that chronologically fit into the main plot but still get grouped off into the Specials folder so you need to replace the Series Summary text with a watch order cheatsheet :negative:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TVDB wants me to group the Eurovision finals by Season. Each season being one episode.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

Now imagine if all your shows where just numbered 1 > infinity instead of by season, and they all had a bunch of specials and movies that chronologically fit into the main plot but still get grouped off into the Specials folder so you need to replace the Series Summary text with a watch order cheatsheet :negative:

I have some TV shows which seem to just play specials automatically in the middle of a season based on air date.

I assumed this was default behavior of Plex for all shows with specials, but haven't looked into it.

Caveat that I have no anime which may act completely differently.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

That Works posted:

Check eBay. Here’s a new one for $200 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/315039441904

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

That Works posted:

Best buy has them for $200 still.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...p?skuId=6370425

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Saw this pop up and I don't think I've seen it discussed before: https://github.com/jorenn92/Maintainerr

"Looks and smells like Overseerr, does the opposite. Maintenance tool for the Plex ecosystem"

Looks like it can automate some of the more annoying part of dealing with users.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

Saw this pop up and I don't think I've seen it discussed before: https://github.com/jorenn92/Maintainerr

"Looks and smells like Overseerr, does the opposite. Maintenance tool for the Plex ecosystem"

Looks like it can automate some of the more annoying part of dealing with users.

That looks like something I've wanted for a very long time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Everything is making me read the documentation to kludge around forced authentication. Like, I get why they're doing this, but I wish you idiots out there hadn't run open servers with such alarming frequency that the developers decided this needed to be done.

Ugh.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

cruft posted:

Everything is making me read the documentation to kludge around forced authentication. Like, I get why they're doing this, but I wish you idiots out there hadn't run open servers with such alarming frequency that the developers decided this needed to be done.

Ugh.

Is this about Plex? What are you even talking about?

Anyway

Takes No Damage posted:

Now imagine if all your shows were just numbered 1 > infinity instead of by season, and they all had a bunch of specials and movies that chronologically fit into the main plot but still get grouped off into the Specials folder so you need to replace the Series Summary text with a watch order cheatsheet :negative:

TV networks in the US used to be really hosed, they would just play any episode in whatever order. Star Trek:TOS was the biggest example where episodes were just randomly released in any order

... which wasn't really a problem due to the story usually being fully contained in an episode

There was one instance where a network just made everything confusing as all hell for the story by releasing the season finale as the first broadcast.

The network was Cartoon Network. The show was "Moral Orel"

In the first episode, Orel learns from the sermon at church that Jesus was immaculately conceived.
The mother and father (Bloberta and Clay, respectfully) have a very confrontational discussion by Bloberta saying that Reverend's sermon was pointed at Clay of how everyone knows that Shapey, Orel's younger brother, was unwanted. Clay brings up that he doesn't even know when and how Shapey was conceived, which Bloberta states that's probably due to his horrible drinking problem.

Orel is listening to the conversation that takes the fact that Shapey was conceived without his father and comes to the conclusion that Shapey is the second coming of Jesus.

Moral Orel is a hell of a show.

By the end of the episode, the trust issues between the parents comes to a point and decide to have a divorce. Clay leaves the home.

THIS IS THIS FIRST EPISODE!!

The second episode is the actual first episode and has the entire family together again, and you'd not be faulted for wondering how they are not divorced anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Is this about Plex? What are you even talking about?

https://wiki.servarr.com/radarr/faq#forced-authentication

Octoprint did this a year or so ago because idiots kept running passwordless installations with routable IP addresses.

I'm just bemoaning the awful state of general system security. You'd think I'd be happy about how easy it is for bad actors to pwn systems, since it keeps me employed.