Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Here's the very short guide to modding the BG games directly on the Steam Deck - it's short because it's simple.

Go into Desktop Mode for everything below.

Install Protontricks from the Discover store. The Discover icon will be 3rd from left on your toolbar or close to that position. Just search for Protontricks, install.

Install the Windows version of the game because there's a native Linux version that will get installed by default. The Windows version will run just as fast on Linux as it does on Windows, faster for some games. This is as simple as right clicking the game, selecting Properties, then going to the Compatibility tab. Tick the box that says "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool", then pick the highest numbered Proton version you see in the list: Proton 8.0-4 right now.

Unpack your mods of choice into the game's install folder. To find the install folder, right click the game in the Steam Library then Manage > Browse local files. (If you ever have to do anything from the command line for mods, easiest way to get to this folder is to right click on the folder and select "Open Terminal here".)

To install a mod into the game, right click on the WeiDU installer exe file you unpacked into the game's install folder, say setup-stratagems.exe if you're installing SCS. Then Open With > Protontricks Launcher. You'll get the window below, select BG2EE and Protontricks will run the setup tool for you. Repeat for other mods and you're done.

The IE games are actually easier to mod than most - and other games aren't hard once you know the couple of tricks that make it simple. Like using Protontricks to run programs inside of a given game's install. Every game in that list in the screenshot is heavily modded other than Moonring and the Colony Ship demo. There are more modded games below what you see - like a Witcher 3 install with close to 100 mods on it. Ran Skyrim heavily modded with well over a 100 mods and all of the more sophisticated modding tools and even an ENB.

The Deck is a very very capable device, it's really worth learning the tricks of modding on it. I barely use my main desktop anymore for gaming and when I do, it's often to stream games with raytracing turned up to my Deck - I just like being able to play mobile even in the house and I absolutely love the controls of the device. I even installed a 2TB drive into the Deck just so that I don't have to uninstall heavily modded games to make space for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If you want to use EEex, which comes with its own .exe file that you have to use instead of Baldur.exe:

Install EEex like any other BG mod. You want to be able to launch the game from Steam instead of running InfinityLoader.exe to run the game, so:

- Rename Baldur.exe to BaldurReal.exe
- Rename InfinityLoader.exe to Baldur.exe
- Edit InfinityLoader.ini and tweak these 3 lines as follows:
- ExeNames=BaldurReal.exe
- ExeSwitchAlias=BaldurReal.exe:Baldur.exe
- ProtonCompatibility=1

Once you've done this, you can just launch BG from Steam and it will launch with EEex active.

All of the EEex functions work the same on Linux as on Windows - the timer indicators, the left shift to show active spell effects, etc. Mods that depend on EEex will just work: Bubb's Extended Spell Menu for eg.

The EEex author even added the latter 2 options after I reported the issues I was having using EEex on the Deck and suggested it would be useful to rename the binaries to make it easier to launch the game from Steam directly.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

i tried engaging with the combat in bg1 and 2 but eventually i realized i liked the game more when i set it to the difficulty setting that makes everyone invincible

I really want to play these games, but every time I've stalled out somewhere after the nashkel mines.

Think I might just do this next time because gol dang it, I at least want to get to BG2. I'll give BG2 a fair shake, but BG1 just feels so tedious every time I play it

edit: oh heck that was a bunch of pages ago, my b

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

docbeard posted:

*Speaking of, who's doing the thread this year? (...maaaaaybe I will? If someone else has their heart set on it I won't but I'm willing!)

No one else said anything about wanting to make the thread. Go for it!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Suspicious posted:

No one else said anything about wanting to make the thread. Go for it!

OKAY FINE I WILL THEN

(Probably either tonight or tomorrow, time allowing)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I have an idea for a gimmick run for this year's ironman, and I will allow myself to play it until I die this time :ohdear: I'm not scared of actual rogue-likes, I dunno why ironman BG makes me so dang antsy.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I really want to play these games, but every time I've stalled out somewhere after the nashkel mines.

Think I might just do this next time because gol dang it, I at least want to get to BG2. I'll give BG2 a fair shake, but BG1 just feels so tedious every time I play it

edit: oh heck that was a bunch of pages ago, my b

Out of the regulars in this thread, I fall squarely in the camp that likes BG1 a whole lot. However, I am willing to say that at least some of it is nostalgia and because I've played it a hundred times through. If you don't like BG1 slash low level D&D combat in general, you don't miss out a lot by just going straight to BG2. The part of the plot that involves you(r character) is explained in the intro sequence in 30 seconds if you've somehow missed it during these 25 years (:ohno:), and your characters won't die from a single hit most of the time.

That said, BG2 has a lot more, erm, special enemies than BG1, like monsters with specific gimmicks etc., but the game is pretty good about holding your hand with most of them. The mage battle chess thing exists, sort of, but if you just remember to cast the mage spell "Breach" at enemy mages whom you can't seem to hurt, that usually solves it. And BG2 is more like a collection of larger and smaller dungeon modules, whereas BG1 is a 90's take on an open world wandering experience, and some people definitely seem to prefer the former.

And ultimately these are all single player games, do as thou wilt is the extent of the law, :words:, but just sayin', BG2 is probably an easier pool to step in these days?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Could someone help me with this mod here

https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/Valerie_NPC

It mentions bg2ee several times, does this mean valerie is finally ready for bg2?

After chewing on this...

As Valerie's original maker, her BG2 component is 80 to 85% finished. There's a bit more dialogue I'd need to write, but the big obstacle is scripting - triggering the romance dialogue that happens on rest, finding plot-dependent variables and triggers to govern things like Valerie commenting on the PC's relationship with the Cowled Wizards, etc. This is something I never really learned how to do originally and certainly don't know how to do now, plus whatever else EE might require.

Should anyone be seriously interested in trying to finish the job on Valerie, I can finish writing what dialogue is needed and send you everything I have for her BG2 material.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

docbeard posted:

It looks, further, like he implemented the druid multiclasses as obfuscated cleric kits (and he says they use cleric xp tables whether or not you otherwise picked that option for druids).

Speaking of clerics, now that the fan project of IWDEE is out and running well, I'm considering doing a party of six clerics, each of a different deity. My only real concern is missing bard song and dealing with locks and traps.

voiceless anal fricative posted:

drat a spontaneous cast cleric and a druid/mage or druid/thief multi would both be hella fun to play. Might give it a whirl

I so badly wish that this game wasn't hard-coded to only allow 2e-legal class combinations. Druid/Thief has a lot of synergy, not to mention that it makes a pure thief not terrible and would allow access to a fair amount of the druid-only spells while also getting around the druid leveling nonsense by being mostly an archer/assassin.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I have an idea for a gimmick run for this year's ironman, and I will allow myself to play it until I die this time :ohdear: I'm not scared of actual rogue-likes, I dunno why ironman BG makes me so dang antsy.

Out of the regulars in this thread, I fall squarely in the camp that likes BG1 a whole lot. However, I am willing to say that at least some of it is nostalgia and because I've played it a hundred times through. If you don't like BG1 slash low level D&D combat in general, you don't miss out a lot by just going straight to BG2. The part of the plot that involves you(r character) is explained in the intro sequence in 30 seconds if you've somehow missed it during these 25 years (:ohno:), and your characters won't die from a single hit most of the time.

That said, BG2 has a lot more, erm, special enemies than BG1, like monsters with specific gimmicks etc., but the game is pretty good about holding your hand with most of them. The mage battle chess thing exists, sort of, but if you just remember to cast the mage spell "Breach" at enemy mages whom you can't seem to hurt, that usually solves it. And BG2 is more like a collection of larger and smaller dungeon modules, whereas BG1 is a 90's take on an open world wandering experience, and some people definitely seem to prefer the former.

And ultimately these are all single player games, do as thou wilt is the extent of the law, :words:, but just sayin', BG2 is probably an easier pool to step in these days?

Oh ya, I've actually asked about it in the thread before!

I dunno, it just feels like I should play both if I'm going to go back and do it which at that point means I should probably do 1 first? Every time I think about starting it up though I'm always tempted to just jump right to BG2. Gotta finish BG3 at least first either way

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Question: If an enemy is immune to spells below level 6, then how do you remove protection from magical weapons? All the protection removals above that threshold only remove spell protections.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SirSamVimes posted:

Question: If an enemy is immune to spells below level 6, then how do you remove protection from magical weapons? All the protection removals above that threshold only remove spell protections.

Breach works if they're casting the spell Protection from Magical Weapons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Breach works if they're casting the spell Protection from Magical Weapons.

Not against liches in the default game. (SCS changes this so Breach goes through lich spell immunity.) In the default game, use arrows of dispelling, a Carsomyr or Inquisitor Paladin hit, or a high-level spellcaster can try Remove Magic (it's specially coded to ignore spell level immunities).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

v1ld posted:

If you want to use EEex, which comes with its own .exe file that you have to use instead of Baldur.exe:

Install EEex like any other BG mod. You want to be able to launch the game from Steam instead of running InfinityLoader.exe to run the game, so:

- Rename Baldur.exe to BaldurReal.exe
- Rename InfinityLoader.exe to Baldur.exe
- Edit InfinityLoader.ini and tweak these 3 lines as follows:
- ExeNames=BaldurReal.exe
- ExeSwitchAlias=BaldurReal.exe:Baldur.exe
- ProtonCompatibility=1

Once you've done this, you can just launch BG from Steam and it will launch with EEex active.

All of the EEex functions work the same on Linux as on Windows - the timer indicators, the left shift to show active spell effects, etc. Mods that depend on EEex will just work: Bubb's Extended Spell Menu for eg.

The EEex author even added the latter 2 options after I reported the issues I was having using EEex on the Deck and suggested it would be useful to rename the binaries to make it easier to launch the game from Steam directly.

Thanks for this! I’ve modded a few other games on the steam deck, but looking it up, it seemed like there were huge headaches installing bgee mods on a case sensitive file system. I’m glad to hear it’s actually relatively straightforward.

Now I’m trying to decide if I can handle recasting buffs over and over.

So I opened the talents of faerun installer exe with protontricks, a menu popped up and I chose baldur’s gate ee, and then simply nothing happened at all. Let’s see if I can figure it out.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 16, 2023

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Update since I have been trying to get the mod installed for hours and have no clue what is wrong because nothing is giving me any error messages to look up, and I can’t find anything on google. I was able to unpack the mod (I guess that’s what happened?) into the install folder by running the exe with protontricks from outside my game install folder. Running it from in the folder did nothing. The files are now all in the game directory, but running the setup exe does nothing, no matter where I try to run it from. Has this ever happened to anyone else trying to install mods for bg ee on the steam deck?

More information—if I run setup-dw-talents.exe from the desktop it creates a debug file in the game’s install directory, but if I run from the directory itself, nothing happens at all.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 16, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2024 Ironman Thread is up

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Update since I have been trying to get the mod installed for hours and have no clue what is wrong because nothing is giving me any error messages to look up, and I can’t find anything on google. I was able to unpack the mod (I guess that’s what happened?) into the install folder by running the exe with protontricks from outside my game install folder. Running it from in the folder did nothing. The files are now all in the game directory, but running the setup exe does nothing, no matter where I try to run it from. Has this ever happened to anyone else trying to install mods for bg ee on the steam deck?

The latest version of Protontricks Launcher seems buggy and is the issue. I just spent a solid half an hour trying to repeat what used to work just fine. Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase with it!

But here's a method that will work for sure, I just tested it.

- First, for convenience later, open a Terminal window and run this command:
ln -s ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common ~/SteamGames

- Install q4wine from the Discover store, just like Protontricks.

- You will need to use Flatseal to allow Q4Wine access to your games directories. Follow this guide: https://deckcentral.net/posts/allow_flatpaks_to_access_your_sd_card_with_flatseal/. Be sure to tick "All user files" in addition to your SD card directories. The SteamGames folder is on home directory.

- Run it and you'll get a window like this, Select the system tab as shown (just use the default entry, ignore the BG2 entry I created for testing, it's unnecessary):

- Double click Explorer and you'll get a Windows Explorer window, circa 1996. Navigate through /, home, deck and you should see the SteamGames link you created in the first step, like so:

- Click through SteamGames and the BG2 folder should be visible. Go in and double click to launch the setup exe in a Windows Console window, like so:

I wrote the earlier message mostly from memory, as it used to work like that. But have tested this approach - sorry for wasting your time!

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 17, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Of course, before I can start playing Baldur's Gate, it's time for a fresh round of WHY THE gently caress WON'T YOU INSTALL

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Ok so in Siege of Dragonspear I held off doing a quest to find a guy's dead sister's locket until after doing the assault at the bridge and I think he died so now I not only still have the locket but I just have a severed head kicking around in my inventory

Should I keep the head and will it carry over to BG2

Also I'm pretty sure I missed another quest somewhere else because I just realized Viconia has been inexplicably carrying around 'male body' for like three hours

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Wolfsheim posted:

Ok so in Siege of Dragonspear I held off doing a quest to find a guy's dead sister's locket until after doing the assault at the bridge and I think he died so now I not only still have the locket but I just have a severed head kicking around in my inventory

Should I keep the head and will it carry over to BG2

Also I'm pretty sure I missed another quest somewhere else because I just realized Viconia has been inexplicably carrying around 'male body' for like three hours

Question: are you good or evil? Answer the question and search your heart and you'll find your answer.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

v1ld posted:

The latest version of Protontricks Launcher seems buggy and is the issue. I just spent a solid half an hour trying to repeat what used to work just fine. Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase with it!

But here's a method that will work for sure, I just tested it.

- First, for convenience later, open a Terminal window and run this command:
ln -s ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common ~/SteamGames

- Install q4wine from the Discover store, just like Protontricks.

- Run it and you'll get a window like this, Select the system tab as shown (just use the default entry, ignore the BG2 entry I created for testing, it's unnecessary):

- Double click Explorer and you'll get a Windows Explorer window, circa 1996. Navigate through /, home, deck and you should see the SteamGames link you created in the first step, like so:

- Click through SteamGames and the BG2 folder should be visible. Go in and double click to launch the setup exe in a Windows Console window, like so:

I wrote the earlier message mostly from memory, as it used to work like that. But have tested this approach - sorry for wasting your time!

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this! Unfortunately, it’s still not working. The link to my steam games directory doesn’t appear in q4wine. q4wine is also unable to see anything on my sdcard, so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Last night I tried just running the installer through the steam launcher. It started and spent about 5 hours installing, then when I ran the game, all the strings in the game had been scrambled.

Linux is making me want to shoot myself. I updated the steam deck, which I hate doing because I live in China and it breaks the VPN installation every time I update, and there is a new problem I have to take hours figuring out with installing the VPN each time.

docbeard posted:

Of course, before I can start playing Baldur's Gate, it's time for a fresh round of WHY THE gently caress WON'T YOU INSTALL

I sort of liked this part of the game when I was 20 years old, but now that play time is limited, it really sucks a lot.

Edit: Okay, I seemed to have missed an important step. I am trying to mod bg ee, but needed to run a dlc merger first. Let’s see if that was it about 5 hours from now when weidu finishes its thing.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 17, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this! Unfortunately, it’s still not working. The link to my steam games directory doesn’t appear in q4wine. q4wine is also unable to see anything on my sdcard, so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

You will need to use Flatseal to allow Q4Wine access to your games directories. Follow this guide: https://deckcentral.net/posts/allow_flatpaks_to_access_your_sd_card_with_flatseal/

Be sure to tick "All user files" in addition to your SD card directories, the SteamGames folder being in your home directory.

That should finally do it. I did this long enough ago I forgot that step in my write up, ugh.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 17, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Here's some of the cool poo poo in the ToF mod.

Sorcerer Bloodlines.

A Bloodrager archetype for Sorcerers. If they actually get the extra 1/2 attack for Specialization, which they're allowed to do, I'm tempted to play one for this run.

Dual classing a Thief into a Wild Mage. This is Imoen being allowed to respec from level 1.

Respec from level 1 for NPCs is cool because they get to pick feats.

I've got my modest mod order sorted out, albeit with a beta version of ToF. But now I'm tempted to try out EET and do the whole trilogy. That'll give ToF some time to stabilize as well.

E: Alas, Bloodragers don't get the extra 1/2 attack which is meant to be warrior classes only, after all.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 17, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick and kinda urgent question: in BG2 (Enhanced Edition, Steam version, no mods), how do you move/sell part of a stack of items? Say, I wanna move 100 arrows out of a stack of ~300 in my ammo bag, and the only way to do it that I can see is taking them out one by one, and gently caress that.
I remember there being some way to set how many items get moved (possibly in Icewind Dale?), but I can't find one here, Shift clicking/doubleclicking on the item like suggested by random posts online doesn't work. Help?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Quick and kinda urgent question: in BG2 (Enhanced Edition, Steam version, no mods), how do you move/sell part of a stack of items? Say, I wanna move 100 arrows out of a stack of ~300 in my ammo bag, and the only way to do it that I can see is taking them out one by one, and gently caress that.
I remember there being some way to set how many items get moved (possibly in Icewind Dale?), but I can't find one here, Shift clicking/doubleclicking on the item like suggested by random posts online doesn't work. Help?

Double left clicking should pop up a quantity chooser. :shrug:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK never mind, it... kinda... does? Once in maybe 10 times I do that? Either it's got super fast doubleclick detection, or something's seriously wrong here :psyduck:
Anyway, now I know there's an option and what to try to do, so consider my question answered.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Has anyone else had problems installing the spell revisions component of Talents of Faerun? on both BG1 and BG2 it gives an error trying to install the component that makes some spells stronger.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

v1ld posted:

You will need to use Flatseal to allow Q4Wine access to your games directories. Follow this guide: https://deckcentral.net/posts/allow_flatpaks_to_access_your_sd_card_with_flatseal/

Be sure to tick "All user files" in addition to your SD card directories, the SteamGames folder being in your home directory.

That should finally do it. I did this long enough ago I forgot that step in my write up, ugh.

Thank you again! I finally got the mod installed.

v1ld posted:

E: Alas, Bloodragers don't get the extra 1/2 attack which is meant to be warrior classes only, after all.

It’s sort of hard to see the point of the bloodrager or militant wizard if they don’t get any additional apr, since there are more options for dual and multiclassed fighter mages than ever.

Similarly, how do people feel about swashbucklers? I think Davaeorn or someone on YouTube absolutely trashed them, but I want to play a versatile character that doesn’t cast arcane spells (since I’ve already done f/m, f/m/t and m/t) and swashbuckler cleric looks potentially fun. I really do wish they could get an extra half attack from proficiency, though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Swashbucklers are fine as a secondary melee fighter. I like playing them - it's possible to go through SCS with totally sub-optimal characters, play what you think is cool!

From a min-maxing perspective and taking all their bonuses into account, they are a second rate fighter/thief with no backstab and poor AC. Adding cleric to the mix would solve the AC problem though.

The blade kit has the same flavour but also comes with offensive spin, spellcasting and elven chain.

Of course, none of those considerations matter in ToB because any flavour of Thief is GOAT once they get Use Any Item.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

v1ld posted:

Here's some of the cool poo poo in the ToF mod.

Sorcerer Bloodlines.

A Bloodrager archetype for Sorcerers. If they actually get the extra 1/2 attack for Specialization, which they're allowed to do, I'm tempted to play one for this run.

Dual classing a Thief into a Wild Mage. This is Imoen being allowed to respec from level 1.

Respec from level 1 for NPCs is cool because they get to pick feats.

I've got my modest mod order sorted out, albeit with a beta version of ToF. But now I'm tempted to try out EET and do the whole trilogy. That'll give ToF some time to stabilize as well.

I'm waiting for one of the big UI mods to do some compatiblity patches, and probably for it to out of Testing but I'm very interested in playing with ToF.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zeerust posted:

Has anyone else had problems installing the spell revisions component of Talents of Faerun? on both BG1 and BG2 it gives an error trying to install the component that makes some spells stronger.

No problems, but it's exactly the same as the first component in the new SCS and will eventually be released as a standalone mod (Spells of Mystra?).

So maybe you could skip that component when installing ToF but select it later if you're also using SCS?

E: It's almost certainly failing to install due to a conflict with another mod, so the problem may persist with SCS too. Do you have the error message? Maybe we could help see what the clash is.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 17, 2023

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Here's the debug file the installation generated. I've tried to set it up on fresh installs of BG1 and 2 (EE) and it hits a snag at the same step every time on either. Weirdly, that component does seem to work on SCS, but it seems like installing that part after finishing TOF might create some problems.

This seems to be the specific line in the debug where things go wrong:

code:
Including and running function(s) symbol_pain_no_save
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[DW_TALENTS/spell/symbol_pain_no_save.tpa] loaded, 307 bytes
Copied [DW_TALENTS/spell/symbol_pain_no_save.tpa] to [weidu_external/workspace/symbol_pain_no_save.tpa] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
Copied [.../strategems_inline/SFO_anon_func.tph] to [weidu_external/workspace/SFO_anon_func_0.tph] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
[./override/SPPR733.spl] loaded, 634 bytes
Copied [.../strategems_inline/SFO_anon_func.tph] to [weidu_external/workspace/SFO_anon_func_1.tph] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
ERROR: No translation provided for @222
ERROR: [SPPR733.spl] -> [override/SPPR733.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 17, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zeerust posted:

Here's the debug file the installation generated. I've tried to set it up on fresh installs of BG1 and 2 (EE) and it hits a snag at the same step every time on either. Weirdly, that component does seem to work on SCS, but it seems like installing that part after finishing TOF might create some problems.

This seems to be the specific line in the debug where things go wrong:

code:
Including and running function(s) symbol_pain_no_save
[DW_TALENTS/spell/symbol_pain_no_save.tpa] loaded, 307 bytes
Copied [DW_TALENTS/spell/symbol_pain_no_save.tpa] to [weidu_external/workspace/symbol_pain_no_save.tpa] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
Copied [.../strategems_inline/SFO_anon_func.tph] to [weidu_external/workspace/SFO_anon_func_0.tph] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
[./override/SPPR733.spl] loaded, 634 bytes
Copied [.../strategems_inline/SFO_anon_func.tph] to [weidu_external/workspace/SFO_anon_func_1.tph] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
ERROR: No translation provided for @222
ERROR: [SPPR733.spl] -> [override/SPPR733.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

There's an issue with the symbol of pain spell in that 'make some spells stronger' component. In the ini file included with ToF there should be a line under spell system changes that reads

quote:

symbol_pain_no_save=1

Change that 1 to a 0 and it should work.

(Guess what I was doing all day yesterday)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

And your post on gibberlings3 saved me a bunch of time so thanks, Doc!

Learned this little nugget for how to have a different save folder for each install. Pretty useful since you can just rename or copy modded folders and the games will happily run even if they're not in their canonical locations. Works even with Steam, where I've had multiple modded installs at the same time.

Graion Dilach posted:

The engine_name variable within engine.lua in the game folder defines the profile subfolder's name (aka the folder in Documents). Changing that one variable ensures that the entire duplicate is sandboxed if necessary.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Crossposting from Gibberlings3 for anyone else looking to tweak aspects of the default UI in BG2EE with Talents of Faerun installed. LeUI won't work with ToF at all and DUI++ has one, sadly dealbreaking for me, issue with ToF, but these components of EEUITWeaks work fine with an almost full install of ToF:

code:
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Faydark's Abilities Auto-Roller/GrimLefourbe's BG2 UI: 4.0.4
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Transparent Sidebars: 4.0.4
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Adul's Better Quick Loot: 4.0.4
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // lefreut's 1.3-ish Dialog Box: 4.0.4
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2900 // lefreut's Improved Record Screen: 4.0.4
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3024 // Journal Fixes and Tweaks -> lefreut's Journal (quests collapsed by default): 4.0.4
~EEUITWEAKS/EEUITWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // lefreut's Improved Inventory Screen -> With Item Comparison: 4.0.4
This addresses almost all of my needs, since Lefreut's tweaks address my big issues with the default UI: don't like the new floating journal EE added, miss being able to scroll the same window as where you dialog choices are, and the record and inv screens could do a better job of showing how your dependent stats were calculated.

The default UI works very well on the Deck since 1280x800 is small enough to be similar to the screen sizes the original UI was designed for - no need for ugly wasted space on the sides. I do miss the unified inventory screen from DUI++ though. Transparent Sidebars in particular are very useful on the Steam Deck's small screen.

Going beyond this and modifying the actual character creation screens with EEUITweaks will lead to a malformed ui.menu file with ToF, as I can confirm, but the above seem safe enough.

The full LeUI will cause install errors for ToF, I suspect because they both touch the same character creation screens.

Dragonspear UI++ will install and run. All functionality seems to be working other than right click to view spell descriptions in the Priest and Mage Spell Books. Unfortunate given how many spells are altered by this mod or SCS. You can still inspect them from the spell bar on the main screen, but that's not the best place to compare spells.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 17, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I ended up taking the same approach to UI stuff, which is a shame because I really like DragonspearUI++ but I figured I was tempting fate trying to balance ToF on top of an already elaborate house of modded cards.

(I was right.)

I seem to finally have a...well...it's not giving me any OBVIOUS errors so we'll see...stable installation and now am faced with one last final challenge. What on Earth am I going to play?

(Oh, and in case anyone runs into this, it looks like the Aasimar and Drow subraces are disabled by default for Baldur's Gate in ToF, controlled by the ini file.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

docbeard posted:

I seem to finally have a...well...it's not giving me any OBVIOUS errors so we'll see...stable installation

Same! I've decided, um hope, that even though ToF is in beta DavidW has shown he tends to resist making big new changes at this point in a mod's release, saving them for the next big release. So I'm ok with taking the risk that updates to ToF will stay save game compatible until v1 is fully out and that v2 probably wont' be out for a while after, long enough that building around ToF right now is fine.

quote:

and now am faced with one last final challenge. What on Earth am I going to play?

Same again! I'm quite happy with all the reworks in ToF and don't want to continue the uber OP Berserker Mage I was planning to continue from my BG1 run from last year.

May install EET and do a more fun and not busted kit right from the start of the game. The new feat system incentivizes this too.

The ability score rework has far less deadzones in it, positive or negative, so playing a say, 80-85 point buy character should be fun and require some sacrifices.

Does anyone know how you transition from BG1EE ending into BG2EE start with EET? Have 2 main questions: does EET let you go over the 161K BG1EE xp cap? Do you keep more of your gear in EET's BG2EE start than you get by loading a BG1 save in BG2?

I don't know if I want to be as comprehensive in playing through the BG1 content in EET as I was when playing BG1EE last year, but it'd be nice to finish the main quest and then start BG2EE with exact same character and gear. May not run all or most of the DLC for eg.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've never played EET without SoD installed so I don't know how the straight-up transition goes but the transition from BG1 to SoD is completely seamless, as is the one from SoD to BG2 (er, usually).

As far as I know the XP caps are unchanged, but of course you can alter or disable them with either Tweaks Anthology or the EET Tweaks mod.

Likewise, the way gear is handled on an import to BG2 is pretty much the same, I think.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

OK, thanks. I think I'll play the modding game for another day or two yet and set up EET.

It'd be good to have both a BG2EE and EET install available permanently on my Deck with ToF's expanded build and gameplay choices to muck with.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

docbeard posted:

There's an issue with the symbol of pain spell in that 'make some spells stronger' component. In the ini file included with ToF there should be a line under spell system changes that reads

Change that 1 to a 0 and it should work.

(Guess what I was doing all day yesterday)

Problem solved! I overwrote the 'spell' folder in TOF with the one from SCS and it installed fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zeerust posted:

Problem solved! I overwrote the 'spell' folder in TOF with the one from SCS and it installed fine.

The readme does mention that SCS should be installed after TOF so that makes sense.

I need to get my installs in order with this and play around with it. Looks like a lot of fun. I usually use Rogue Rebalancing as well but I'm guessing that's not compatible with TOF and probably won't ever be. That's fine though because TOF adds a lot of poo poo otherwise. I will miss the special merchants that RR adds.