Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I think the Votann are still too half-baked lorewise (and unit-wise) to say exactly what they are supposed to feel like. I think it'll be fine eventually, but right now it's still superficial. Eventually GW will find something that works, and the basic aesthetics are fine. For now, the Votann are an interesting example of a society that is not technologically stagnant, but certainly politically so (because they keep listening to increasingly decrepit AIs). That can be seen as a parody of certain real-life nations. I'm not sure that is really what they are going for, but it is a sort of response to the people who say that the only reason the Imperium sucks is because they don't improve their guns enough.

As for Custodes, I got into collecting them because I wanted to ensure I actually made it to a full playable army, which I didn't the past times I painted miniatures. They certainly fulfilled that purpose. I also got to like their atmosphere and history, but I think they work least well when they are Space Marines But Better. I think it was a good idea to cap the maximum unit size at 5, as this emphasizes that they are not really soldiers. It would be fun to make them look even more individualistic on the tabletop, e.g. by letting them stay in unit cohesion up to 3" or 4".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If anyone is looking for new Rough Rider models, Wargames Atlantic just put up pre-orders for the new Les Grognards Cavalry box.

https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/demo-collection/products/les-grognards-cavalry

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Votann clearly are just supposed to be a technologically advanced civilization that does not have meaningful amounts of internal strife. The fanatical worship of a decrepit AI is there more or less to be the narrative restriction for why they don't just run rampant and go Hulkmania on the other factions. Otherwise they're just the Imperium/Tau but Better.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

getting into TTS, and hoo boy is this a lot of mods and github pages and .xyz website accounts to set up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cooked Auto posted:

If anyone is looking for new Rough Rider models, Wargames Atlantic just put up pre-orders for the new Les Grognards Cavalry box.

https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/demo-collection/products/les-grognards-cavalry

Always good to have choices!

I think I like Victoria's better though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

3 Action Economist posted:

Always good to have choices!

I think I like Victoria's better though.

I agree, but the price is better on these.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

9 riders for 40 bucks is pretty solid.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Votann are cool and good. I dig the lore and hope they flesh it out and give them a bit more flavour and a few more units.

Probably a simple question, but is there an easy way to play test armies? I could buy a bunch of dummy bases and just run a game but that feels less fun

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well you could either use Tabletop Sim, there's plenty of imported terrain and models there.
Another option would be to use a virtual tabletop like Roll20 or VTT, but there you would just be shuffling tokens around whilst in TTS you'd have a bit more freedom in dealing with terrain height and so on.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Pushed myself to get both of these big guys done this week.

Repulsor Executioner

Norn Emissary

I rushed these a bit because I wanted them ready for game day tomorrow but I'm happy enough.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
They look pretty good, especially the tank

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

What black did you use on the tank? That looks incredible.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Scale 75 Black SC-00.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

the rosterizer-> yellow scribe -> TTS flow is absolutely insane and some the worst UX i have ever seen, but the end result is legit. Hoping to get my first TTS game in with a friend tomorrow, and n the theory we can find time to play out a 2k game in parts after the kids are asleep more easily than the real deal IRL.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I have no idea what flow you're referring to, to be honest. A friend and I just put together lists on NewRecruit, go grab our units from a model pack, and then load up one of the map packs people have made.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Cyouni posted:

I have no idea what flow you're referring to, to be honest. A friend and I just put together lists on NewRecruit, go grab our units from a model pack, and then load up one of the map packs people have made.

If you've not been using Yellowscribe then you're probably missing out on some useful functionality.

It's a website and mod for TTS: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2920625970
It takes a New Recruit or Rosterizer roster, and let's you assign figures to each model type in your roster, and generates an army where each model is helpfully scripted with the following (and more):
  • Stats in the unit description, and can press button to bring up full datasheet (numpad 1)
  • Wound trackers that you can decrease/increase with num 2/3
  • Toggle-able range auras on models

If you use New Recruit you can even skip the part where you upload to the yellowscribe website, there's a feature to get the yellowscribe code directly within New Recruit.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
My first 40k mini

Need to touch up some overpaint and then hit it with the soft tone. I found assembly to be frustrating on these guys but painting was fun. Maybe will be easier if i get plastic cement for the next squad

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Did you assemble a GW plastic mini with super glue?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Athas posted:

Did you assemble a GW plastic mini with super glue?

Yes sir

I assembled 12 of them, and also assembled my hands together

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

OctaMurk posted:

Yes sir

I assembled 12 of them, and also assembled my hands together

Yeah, I would have no skin on my hands after that. If most minis were not plastic, I likely would have abandoned this hobby. Plastic cement is just so pleasant to work with.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Gel superglue is where it's at to avoid that type of stuff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Agreed

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brush On super glue is also a good alternative.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cooked Auto posted:

Brush On super glue is also a good alternative.

I really miss when GW made this. I miss having an applicator brush.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

So are the Horus Heresy MKIII 20x unit kits just entirely out of stock? My LGS was barebones and online the 10x unit squads are ridiculously priced. I bought the MKVI 20x unit box for $48, and I'm sure as gently caress not buying the III's for double the price for half the units.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Demilich posted:

So are the Horus Heresy MKIII 20x unit kits just entirely out of stock? My LGS was barebones and online the 10x unit squads are ridiculously priced. I bought the MKVI 20x unit box for $48, and I'm sure as gently caress not buying the III's for double the price for half the units.

Website has them in stock, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're getting sent out to LGSs in good order. The current MK3 box is a 20 model box for 75 USD at full price, and the MKVI is a 20 man box for 80. Not really sure where you're seeing a ten man box at all, honestly, unless you were looking at the assault marine kit. Maybe you had bought an older plastic kit for that price? I think the old 20 man box of Mk3 retailed for 60 but I could be misremembering

S.J. fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 17, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I never saw a price for the MKIII's, it was just my assumption that it would be priced the same as the other tactical MKVI 20x unit squad since the only difference was the armor (that I paid $48 for, granted it was my LGS price).

Guess I'm recasting the drat thing cause gently caress that price.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Demilich posted:

I'm looking at the MkIII Tactical Squad of 20 dudes for $70 USD on the GW store right now...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Demilich posted:

I never saw a price for the MKIII's, it was just my assumption that it would be priced the same as the other tactical MKVI 20x unit squad since the only difference was the armor (that I paid $48 for, granted it was my LGS price).

Guess I'm recasting the drat thing cause gently caress that price.

That sounds like you had bought the older sculpts tbh. At that price your LGS is basically losing money on that sale if it's the new kits.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Nope, they were the brand new sculpts. New box design, fully plastic.

10x are becoming Night Lords, 10x are becoming Alpha Legion. I'm excited I finally get to bust out some of my more beautiful oil paints for the Alphas

*phone might be loving up the armor MKVI/MKIV. But it's def the new kit that was in Age of Darkness

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 17, 2023

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

well if they're the current kit I can only assume they were hitting on you because that's not a discount you offer to just any random who walks in the door

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Demilich posted:

Nope, they were the brand new sculpts. New box design, fully plastic.

10x are becoming Night Lords, 10x are becoming Alpha Legion. I'm excited I finally get to bust out some of my more beautiful oil paints for the Alphas

*phone might be loving up the armor MKVI/MKIV. But it's def the new kit that was in Age of Darkness
The new MKIII kit appears to be cheaper on the AU store than either the MKIV or MKVI kit which are the same price. For what it's worth, all three of the tactical squad variants were the same price here before they released the new MKIIIs (which is the same price as what the MKIV/MKVI are now).

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

CottonWolf posted:

I think AoS models are on average better, but 40K is wildly inconsistent between armies. Like, the Death Guard sculpts are IMO incredible, but then 99% of the rest of the marine type models are just dull.

Fingers crossed we get Emperors Children as the mystery codex this spring/summer, they feel like the ones with most potential for looking cool. I know there’s a theory rolling around that they’re going to add more chaos gods so that they can make the other legions factions and I cannot imagine a dimension where Iron Warriors are remotely cool, visually.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Black Library is releasing two Emperor's Children books next year.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Axetrain posted:

Norn Emissary

I rushed these a bit because I wanted them ready for game day tomorrow but I'm happy enough.

Golden flesh is... Nice and unnervingly alien.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Does anyone know where I could get wet transfers for Salamanders? I don't want to order a bunch of primaris upgrade kits and I'd like to spruce up my little guys.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

poop chute posted:

Does anyone know where I could get wet transfers for Salamanders? I don't want to order a bunch of primaris upgrade kits and I'd like to spruce up my little guys.

Maybe check out Etsy? I always find stuff like that on there.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poop chute posted:

You could try the 30k transfer sheet.
https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/salamanders-legion-transfer-sheet-2022

I know it might seem like a lot for transfers, but a single sheet will go a long way. There are hundreds of symbols on there, including some larger ones for vehicles or banners. I know I've put the dark angels sheet to good use with my 30k army. Definitely recommended.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

poop chute posted:

Salamanders are on the new space marine infantry sheet which will be in any of the newer marine kits or on ebay maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

You could try the 30k transfer sheet.
https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/salamanders-legion-transfer-sheet-2022

I know it might seem like a lot for transfers, but a single sheet will go a long way. There are hundreds of symbols on there, including some larger ones for vehicles or banners. I know I've put the dark angels sheet to good use with my 30k army. Definitely recommended.

I bought the ultramarine one, it is a shitload of decals.