Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

dexter6 posted:

Interesting hypothesis.

I walked a guy (not familiar) through the steps to set up the UDM and there was nothing out of the ordinary with the process. The only issue is since he needed to share his screen he used a hotspot on his laptop to share while plugged into Ethernet on his laptop so I wonder if that…. ?confused? the UDM during setup?

Where exactly are you seeing 169.254.x.x? On the WAN interface of the UDM or on your Xerox and other end points?

It’s 100% a sign of DHCP issues. The WAN interface by default pulls a DHCP address from whatever is upstream. If other locations have a 192.168.1.x on the WAN port, it means you have the ISP provided modem/router in routed mode. By default the LAN auto-scaling will use 192.168.2.x to prevent a conflict with the WAN interface, so you’ll need to make sure your dhcp scope uses that subnet unless you changed it.

If it’s not on the WAN side, you should be able to access the UDM from the cloud management portal and check your DHCP settings for the LAN.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks for all the help!

I think I have it fixed: I deselected "Auto-scale Network", set the host to 192.168.1.1, after that finished reissuing the IP addresses I reselected "Auto-scale Network" and it looks like we're good to go.

Still no idea how this happened though!

nerox
May 20, 2001

DerekSmartymans posted:

Sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing :smuggo:

This is a new service for my neighborhood, everyone went for the 200mbps, I am the only sucker paying the premium for the gig. I am also the one that runs the neighborhood plex server. I am pretty sure I also use more bandwidth than everyone else in the neighborhood combined.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

169.254/16 was allocated for zero-configuration link-local networking in 2005, and I'm pretty sure I remember people attempting it before then.

It didn't work then, and it hasn't worked since - and if it ever gets to a point where some people claim it works, I'm still going to be skeptical enough to rely on it.
Networking isn't hard, just occasionally tedious - and nowadays, it's not like the bad old times when I started, and none of it was documented.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Posting in here because I know Ubiquiti equipment is a very popular home network choice (I use their switches and APs in my house!)

Apparently they're having a pretty bad security incident right now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/18hgpw1/security_problem/

Reports of people receiving push notifications showing random peoples cameras, people logging into the UI website and having access to other random accounts (including their network controllers!) etc.

Yikes

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I am ahead of the curve mitigating this one. That mitigation? Never use clouds!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah I am in general pretty happy with ubiquiti personally, but no way in hell will I ever expose my controller to the cloud

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

They just released four new products in the last two weeks, can’t focus on security.

I really don’t get the appeal of protect anyways. Expensive cameras (that you must use as they don’t support other vendors) with a single HDD in the case of the UDM/UDM-Pro.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

M_Gargantua posted:

I am ahead of the curve mitigating this one. That mitigation? Never use clouds!

I think it’s worse than that - it’s also UI store accounts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jesus christ lol

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I just moved into a freshly built house and I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect all the rooms as I've got a massive patch panel it's all running to. A couple electricians dropped by yesterday as they're finishing up the house next to us and the technician who came to hook up fiber was skeptical that everything was there, one mentioned that the blue cable would make it easier to hook up the rooms but didn't elaborate (I'm going to try and catch him tomorrow to give me a proper rundown as I wasn't there for it).

Anyways, would anyone have any clue what said blue cable is for and how I can somehow avoid getting a 24 port switch to get the entire place hooked up? All I've got at the moment is a little TP-Link router I'm going to get rid off as I stepped up to a Deco X50 mesh and Ubiqtui 6 port router.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 14, 2023

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

ROJO posted:

Yeah I am in general pretty happy with ubiquiti personally, but no way in hell will I ever expose my controller to the cloud

Do you ever access anything remotely or all local access?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You've got 21 home runs, if you really want to hook all of them up you'll need a 24 port switch. If you want to hook less than that then you'll need a smaller switch. Right now it looks like you have "OG Eltern" as the only connection to the ONT/Router/? device from the patch panel, and one other ethernet cable going from it downward to somewhere.

What is the label on the blue cable?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Once I dig up the ubiquity router I’ll hook five up, the one connected is to my office on the first floor for the mesh hub. Literally only thing on the blue cable is “AP2” in sharpie. I was pretty certain I’d need a dedicated switch but maybe there’s been some magic innovation since I worked in datacenters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The magic innovation is "Mesh Wifi" which may or may-not work for your use case. Even cheap mesh solutions are good enough for youtube and web browsing with some streaming. If you want gigabit then you're using the wires.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Yep that’s the one thing I had to get as it’s all concrete between the floors. I only really need gigabit for streaming but there’s all those ports begging for a connection

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AP2 could be a drop to an access point somewhere else in the residence? I don't know why it wouldn't be in the patch panel, maybe they added it afterwards if it's on a ceiling?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My home network really lacks the complexity that warranted running 2 UniFi APs and their software on a NUC. I think I can get by with 2-3 eero pro 6s all with Ethernet back channels.

I’m not interested in some bs subscription for advanced features. Is the eero good and/or enough or should I be looking at spending about the same for some tplink gear?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
They both lock some parental controls behind subscriptions iirc but you will have to compare the two as the feature will differ. There was/is?? TP link bug with auto port sensing that would cause your local network to go down if you lose your internet connection. The newer nest products have limited config options but they don’t lock features behind a subscription. The nest products have terrible WiFi backhaul, but work great if you have them connected to Ethernet.

I wouldn’t leave unifi I was already using their stuff. Go grab a unifi express if you want to drop your NUC.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I think I was coming from a place of anger earlier. The UniFi stuff has been fine for like a decade, but I’ve been blaming some problems on it lately that this afternoon turned out to be unrelated.

I’ve got my isp coming out soon to replace my fiber ont so I can go from 30/30 to 300/300 (or even gig), and I need to pick up a router replacement because the existing one is coax. UniFi keeps announcing new hardware but they never seem to have anything I want in stock.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

adnam posted:

Do you ever access anything remotely or all local access?

There is no access to my controller from outside my network, even over my wire guard VPN I run on a pi. It would be nice to access the cameras remotely to see what shenanigans the dogs are up to, but I'm happy to check the replay later at home.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ROJO posted:

There is no access to my controller from outside my network, even over my wire guard VPN I run on a pi. It would be nice to access the cameras remotely to see what shenanigans the dogs are up to, but I'm happy to check the replay later at home.
Nothing is accessible from the outside of my network either thanks to a statefully-reflexive access control list, but when the IPsec VPN on the TP-Link gateway is used, I do have access to everything.

I figure that anyone capable of successfully attacking the small networks surface I have is either an APT, state-sponsored, or both - and while I might have the ability (well, I used to, but I suppose even infosec has changed in a decade), I don't have either the money or energy to fight back.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Noticed that while I have 300Mbps down with my ISP I could only get 100Mbps over the wifi, initially thought it was an ISP issue but I ran a speedtest from my media server that is going over cable and it hits 300Mbps no problem.

I've got the Deco X50 for the mesh wifi, is there another mesh wifi setup I should be using that uses a dedicated backhaul and provides higher throughput so I can hit 300Mbps? the 100 Mbps seems to be the maximum overall rate (All devices suffer when I run a speedtest)

Edit: Reading a bunch of reviews and the Deco XE75 seems like a good choice that won't break the bank.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 17, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
300 mbps isn't particularly tough for wifi if the spectrum's uncrowded and the X50 seems relatively recent. If the possibility of wired backhaul for your current setup exists, it's probably cheaper and better than going for a setup with extra radios for backhaul.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

That did the trick. I did a quick test and when I’m connected to a wired hub I get the full 300mbps. As soon as it bumps over to a non wired hub it drops so I’ll get some more cables and patch them all in.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

As far as the 100 down goes, I’d have to ask what the width of the channel is (20,40,80,160Mhz), what device are you testing with and are you connecting using the 2.4 or 5ghz band.

If the device is running off a default 20Mhz channel, 100 down over a single wireless hop is about what I’d expect in a good setup.

Which makes them advertising 3 Gbps speeds on the box fun.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 17, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Annoyingly, the TP-Link router doesn't do CAKE or PIE SQM, but the tiny bit of bufferbloat it does have (better than the best results from the DSLReports study) is fixed by its AQM:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Cyks posted:

As far as the 100 down goes, I’d have to ask what the width of the channel is (20,40,80,160Mhz), what device are you testing with and are you connecting using the 2.4 or 5ghz band.

If the device is running off a default 20Mhz channel, 100 down over a single wireless hop is about what I’d expect in a good setup.

That's why I was so confused, it should have been able to hit this speed without breaking a sweat. I disabled 2.5 Ghz and channel width is 160 MHz but it still couldn't exceed 100Mbps

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cyks posted:

The wifi speeds being the sum of the theoretical max rate of every channel is the most dishonest thing in router space rn it annoys me so much

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Ashex posted:

I disabled 2.5 Ghz and channel width is 160 MHz but it still couldn't exceed 100Mbps

Drop your channel width. There are only 2 good 80 mhz channels in the 5 ghz range -- 36-48 and 149-161. That's where you want to be if you don't have neighbors close. Anything wider and you're dealing with DFS.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm having a weird problem with my home internet and I think it's related to my Unifi USG.

About a month ago, I noticed some websites become essentially unusable due to incredibly long load times. Around the same time, I had difficulty connecting to the work VPN with my work issued laptop. When I do get connected to the VPN, I have no issues. Page loads are fast and I have none of these issues.

If I plug my laptop directly into my Verizon Internet Gateway, it works fine. No issues. If I plug it directly into the USG (the only thing attached to the Internet Gateway), it feels like I'm being throttled. If I try to download a driver from Nvidia for example, it gets about 10mb downloaded then stalls. Works perfectly on a machine connected directly to the gateway.

I've change cables with no luck. Next step is making a new one.

I've read through a bunch of threads on the Reddit Ubiquiti group about this and have everything turned on/off that they recommend with no success.

I just factory reset the USG and re-adopted it, which has not resolved the issue.

I am running a PiHole but if I set my DNS servers to public servers and then flush DNS, the problem persists.

What else can I do to try and figure out if the USG is the culprit? They've been discontinued by Ubiquiti and the replacement unit is out of stock, so throwing hardware at this isn't an option right now. The other possibility is a Verizon firmware update to the modem has changed how it's communicating through the USG. There was one in July (not sure when it pushed to my device) and there's another one from 12/12, but my gateway has not updated to that yet (and there appears to be no way to force it).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

LordOfThePants posted:

:words:

I am running a PiHole but if I set my DNS servers to public servers and then flush DNS, the problem persists.

:words:

Flush dns where? Depending on settings, DNS may be cached at every client as well as the router (USG) in this case.

It *smells* like DNS to me but I’m not sure.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

${DNS HAIKU}

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If it's the hardware, sometimes the power brick is failing and the device gets flaky without consistent voltage. Your various issues could mean it's something like that happening, it's worth a shot trying a new power supply. I usually get generic ones from Amazon with that same voltage and higher current capacity because they lie about what they can output. You could probably get one from ubiquiti as well if you don't want to mess around.

I think a lot of people who have routers that act up after 4+ years often have this kind of problem but it's by no means guaranteed to be that, it's just one possibility.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rexxed posted:

If it's the hardware, sometimes the power brick is failing and the device gets flaky without consistent voltage. Your various issues could mean it's something like that happening, it's worth a shot trying a new power supply. I usually get generic ones from Amazon with that same voltage and higher current capacity because they lie about what they can output. You could probably get one from ubiquiti as well if you don't want to mess around.

I think a lot of people who have routers that act up after 4+ years often have this kind of problem but it's by no means guaranteed to be that, it's just one possibility.

lovely electrolytic capacitors acting up / failing after running at the edge of their thermal envelope or in excess of surge current specs maybe... electronics just don't like heat.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

rufius posted:

Flush dns where? Depending on settings, DNS may be cached at every client as well as the router (USG) in this case.

It *smells* like DNS to me but I’m not sure.

DNS was my first suspicion, especially because I recall updating the PiHole recently (it was the only part of the network that had a recent update). The PiHole is running on a Rpi4 off a SD Card, which has worked reliably for years but I've just been waiting for it to fail since that is an inevitability. I had considered putting a jail for it on my TrueNAS server, now might be a good time to try that.

I will also check the USG power supply. Chances are I've got one around here that will work. Edit: Found one, has not resolved the issue.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 21, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was looking into wifi Access Points to replace an old Cisco AP from 2014 and was looking at an Aruba AP25.

But apparently based on what I read on reddit, it comes with cloud bullshit (controller in the cloud, can't self-host) and it can't run without it? This sounds uh, real lovely. Is this common nowadays?

Anyone care to recommend a similar AP that has the controller built in or can self-host one?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

How many APs do you have/need in your network? If only one, I would look for something on the OpenWRT compatibility list.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was looking into wifi Access Points to replace an old Cisco AP from 2014 and was looking at an Aruba AP25.

But apparently based on what I read on reddit, it comes with cloud bullshit (controller in the cloud, can't self-host) and it can't run without it? This sounds uh, real lovely. Is this common nowadays?

Anyone care to recommend a similar AP that has the controller built in or can self-host one?

AP25 is part of the Aruba Instant On brand. It’s good.

But to answer your question, no it isn’t common. Aruba Instant On and Meraki Go (and Meraki enterprise) are the only true APs that I am aware of that are cloud only.
That said, it’s not like traffic goes through the cloud, only the management interface is hosted and there’s really no reason not to go that way for your one AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If the management is hosted in the cloud that means you can't manage it without internet access and you've got an external connection to a third party.

I don't do cloud anything.