Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

slidebite posted:

We are so close now, I just wait unit we get to the after xmas/boxing week sales at this point.

As a side, do those Asus "gaming" laptops all have armoury crate baked into the BIOS that you can't get rid of?

I haven't dug into it yet, but could someone who knows more about it give me a primer an Armoury Crate? I was vaguely aware of it from the desktop space, and it mostly seems to be about :lsd:RGB:lsd: with some fan controls and such? It was pre-installed on my laptop but I only activated it kind of on accident while doing something else, and didn't do more than a cursory look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's just a way to control things like fan curves, RGB, power profiles, etc. I find it to be pretty innocuous on mine.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I use G-Helper now to control power limits, igpu/dgpu, RGB, battery charge, refresh rate. The armoury crate software just seemed unnecessarily bloated and garish. G-Helper just pops up a little control panel in the corner of the screen where I can control all the things I want to control.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's an Acer, but this is a 13700HX with a 2K 165Hz screen, a 4060, and a 1TB HDD for $999: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-p...p?skuId=6541302

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 9, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's an Acer, but this is a 13700HX with a 2K 165Hz screen and a 1TB HDD for $999: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-p...p?skuId=6541302

Seems to be a solid price for a 4060 at the moment, considering the screen resolution and standard storage anyways. I know Acer doesn't get recommended a lot here, but if it means anything, I've had two Acer Chromebooks and they've been incredibly reliable and well built machines. Of course, with a portfolio as varied as Acer I'm sure some machines are going to be better built than others.

If you don't give a hoot about ray tracing (it can do ray tracing, it's just not as good as comparable RTX cards) or Frame-gen and just want to do some FHD gaming at respectable framerates on a budget, this Asus packs a really solid punch. The CPU is Zen3+ based which is still very good (has an RDNA2 based iGPU too!), and the Radeon 7600S with its 8GB of vram should slot neatly between the RTX 4050 and 4060.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Acer's are not very good though the predator line is better than the nitro. No one should buy a nitro.

If you want a 4060 this legion is worth the extra $100, even if it has a smaller SSD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3048601488...607110c7b560INT

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I’ve also been eyeing $1k or under 4060 machines so I’m watching this discussion eagerly. I have been eyeing this Lenovo Legion with a Ryzen 7735HS for $870 or this similar one from the same seller with an i7-13700HX for $1099, which seems like less of a deal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah that $870 deal is great

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, you actually would have a hard time building a better gaming desktop out of new parts at that price.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, you actually would have a hard time building a better gaming desktop out of new parts at that price.

Ehhh, apples to oranges. A desktop 4060 if much faster than a mobile 4060. A mobile 4060 is a step below a desktop 3060, and the gap widens at higher resolution. You could probably get a clearance prebuilt that would be faster.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lockback posted:

Customer support will be a crapshoot, everyone will have horror stories or great stories.

For 2-in-1 that you draw on the best is an iPad Pro
If not that, the Surface Pro is pretty good.
If not that, then pretty equivalent to the Yoga would the HP 2 in 1s.
Maybe this guy? https://slickdeals.net/f/17111938-hp-envy-16-16-qhd-ips-120hz-i7-13700h-arc-a370m-16gb-ddr5-1tb-ssd-989-99

It has an Arc 370 in it which will be an adventure! The eGPU is pretty good too if you just need to disable the Arc. You still get 1600p. I've found HP's support to be fine. You'll need to get an active stylus, but they make them and they run about $25.

I think both Lenovo and HP's touch-screen is ok but probably not what you want for serious art, but if you were fine with Lenovo I don't think HP will be worse.

Surface Pro refurbs are actually priced pretty good too
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...mSG8JA%29%28%29
I ended up getting this Envy x360 with Ryzen 7730U, and 16GB RAM open box for $909, even though the box hadn't been fully opened. Add $41 for a new tilt pen and I'm good.

ArmTheHomeless posted:

I saw this posted earlier in the thread and am about to pull the trigger:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6535503

Any deals going on for similar strength laptops that I should consider before doing this?
If you're going to pick it up locally, just one quick tip
Check if your local BB has open box deals on the same computer in VG/Ex condition with higher specs in stock for the same or better price, or if they have the one you wanted open box and cheaper. If there are enough in stock that you can get one, order the open box model; if you have BB credit to buy both, do it to keep them ready and waiting for you. Take a look at the open box option and decide which one you want. Cancel the other order before you leave the store.

One weird trick that BB employees don't give a gently caress about because they don't get paid on commission, they're just making a sale to a customer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

I ended up getting this Envy x360 with Ryzen 7730U, and 16GB RAM open box for $909, even though the box hadn't been fully opened. Add $41 for a new tilt pen and I'm good.

I have a similar one I got for a steal a year or so ago, and it's a nice machine (I had to upgrade mine to 16GB, but it wasn't as bad as I expected to open it up). I even used it for some gaming while traveling, but that relied on a good enough Internet connection for cloud gaming, which I found is hard to find in cheap motels.

I also got a pen for it, but I still haven't gotten around to really seeing what I can do with it. :effort:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a similar one I got for a steal a year or so ago, and it's a nice machine (I had to upgrade mine to 16GB, but it wasn't as bad as I expected to open it up). I even used it for some gaming while traveling, but that relied on a good enough Internet connection for cloud gaming, which I found is hard to find in cheap motels.

I also got a pen for it, but I still haven't gotten around to really seeing what I can do with it. :effort:
I have Adobe CS so it's great, but I feel like it was a huge mistake to get rid of tablet mode for Win11. Stuff like Windows Ink and being able to just grab the stylus and annotate what's on-screen just by picking up the stylus were really useful and I miss them. I don't think I'll go back to 10 Pro just for that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I got my Dell xps15 laptop battery replaced a month or two back, but things still aren't quite right.

I've only fully charged it about twice since then (i don't use it much), but both times it's dropped from about 40% remaining power to <10% and both times it's been immediately after starting up the laptop.

I'm also getting error messages for the charger with the top saying it's not recognised and I should plug in a 130w charger.

It seems to be charging (looks like about 1% every 2 minutes or so, which would be a full charge in about 2 to 2.5 hours) so i dunno if the charger is actually broken.

For replacing that though, would any Dell laptop charger from Amazon do?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you've only charged it twice in 6-8 weeks you might just be confusing the poo poo out of the battery monitor. You ever run any commands to reset the battery monitor in the BIOS?

My other suggestion would be to do a full discharge and recharge on the battery another 2x back-to-back, same day or within a day or so if you can. I'd do that before replacing your charger.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trip report on adding an SSD and RAM to my new ASUS TUF A16:

Swapped the 2x8GB sticks with 2x16GB sticks of DDR5 and added a 2TB second SSD. Everything went well and my Time Spy score increased a few hundred, pushing it from Good to Great rating (whatever that means). Opening the back was pretty painless, and I was able to use my nails to separate the back panel without using a spudger or whatever.

The SSD slot was completely open and easy to access, and came with a retention screw.

The RAM was under layers of foil and what I assume are thermal pads - I didn't try to replace the thermal pad things but did get the foil back in place.

Hooked it up to my main monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse and it played Far Cry 6 at least as well as my desktop with a 3600X and 2070 Super, and the fan noise was loud but not terrible.

Pretty pleased so far, although I'm running into a bug where Fallout 4 will not properly detect the external display and shows no available resolutions - probably need to configure the launch parameters in Steam but :effort:

I also had some weird errors with CP2077 where it would launch in the background or something, but I just did Windows and driver updates so need to test that again.

All in all it seems like this laptop will meet my needs quite handily, particularly if I get a stand like we discussed earlier in the thread and rely on the built-in screen while travelling.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I had issues with fallout4 and my desktop displays so that wouldnt surprise me with that game at all

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I’ve also been eyeing $1k or under 4060 machines so I’m watching this discussion eagerly. I have been eyeing this Lenovo Legion with a Ryzen 7735HS for $870 or this similar one from the same seller with an i7-13700HX for $1099, which seems like less of a deal.

Costco has this Lenovo for $800, which is essentially identical to the $870 eBay one linked above. The Costco listing appears to have slightly incorrect specs compared to Lenovo's spec page for model 83EF0003US - resolution should be 1440, for example. I swung for it and we'll see who's spec sheets are right.

Seemed like the best combination of decent specs, decent brand, decent price, and from a good vendor - the $870 and a lot of the other deals around are from the same eBay store, Antonline, which apparently has some horror stories.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Antonline is fine, but that Costco deal is incredibly good. 1350 isn't a real resolution so I think you're safe assuming that means 1440.

The 1TB SSD is also nice, kinda annoying how so many laptops regressed to 512, even if it's trivial to add more.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Kin posted:

I got my Dell xps15 laptop battery replaced a month or two back, but things still aren't quite right.

I've only fully charged it about twice since then (i don't use it much), but both times it's dropped from about 40% remaining power to <10% and both times it's been immediately after starting up the laptop.

I'm also getting error messages for the charger with the top saying it's not recognised and I should plug in a 130w charger.

It seems to be charging (looks like about 1% every 2 minutes or so, which would be a full charge in about 2 to 2.5 hours) so i dunno if the charger is actually broken.

For replacing that though, would any Dell laptop charger from Amazon do?

Sounds like a dead cell and a power jack issue, or yeah your adapter may be dying. Does it have USB-c charging?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got a "space black" M4 MacBook pro for work. I kind of lean my other laptops (x390 thinkpad, xps15) up against the wall as I rotate through them

I've already mixed up the thinkpad and the MacBook three times this week

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Kazy posted:

Perfect timing for me. The MSI Stealth 14 Studio (i7 13620/4060 version) is $1100 at Best Buy this weekend.

Just got home from picking it up, still have to set it up. Will post my impressions once I get to use it a bit.

Impressions: Had to return it because the GPU was failing already. Would freeze up any time I played a game for more than 5 minutes or so, and couldn't even do Furmark for more than a couple of minutes.

Picked up the G14, since the paltry 512GB SSD was replaced by the 2TB SSD I bought to backup the MSI onto, and Best Buy was out of the Stealth.

I liked the blue color of the Stealth though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I got a "space black" M4 MacBook pro for work. I kind of lean my other laptops (x390 thinkpad, xps15) up against the wall as I rotate through them

I've already mixed up the thinkpad and the MacBook three times this week

I assume M3 unless you're a time traveler or have some REAL good hookups....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The good news is that the m5 MacBook pro comes with a LLM version of Siri that's almost not a complete disaster

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HP Pen Utility is only for Windows 10 and HP Pen Utility Pro claims the Tilt Pen with MPP2.0 is incompatible, and their whole website is a disaster with broken links everywhere so I just uninstalled the utility and it seems to work fine. Level 1 support is the HP Support Forums, which appears to be a free range refuge for people too stupid to post on Quora or StackExchange.

It's nice. to feel like I have a real computer again.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The RAM was under layers of foil and what I assume are thermal pads - I didn't try to replace the thermal pad things but did get the foil back in place.
The thermal pads probably conduct some heat to the foil, but the foil is probably there to keep RF interference in or out. RAM overheating isn't a particularly common problem, so you'll probably be fine in that regard.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
How do I find out what kind of video card I need to drive two monitors?

My current laptop has a RTX 2050 4GB and integrated intel graphics. It has one HDMI and a multi-purpose USB type-c (Power Delivery and DisplayPort 1.4).

How do I figure out what is the max resolutions it can support? Is it purely from graphics memory, if I upgraded to a laptop with 4060 6gb (or 4070 8gb) it would support higher resolutions?

I currently have one 1080 and one ultrawide 1080 monitor, but if I wanted to upgrade one or both monitors to 1440 or even 4k, what will I need?

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 17, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How do I find out what kind of video card I need to drive two monitors?

My current laptop has a RTX 2050 4GB and integrated intel graphics. It has one HDMI and a multi-purpose USB type-c (Power Delivery and DisplayPort 1.4).

How do I figure out what is the max resolutions it can support? Is it purely from graphics memory, if I upgraded to a laptop with 4060 6gb (or 4070 8gb) it would support higher resolutions?

I currently have one 1080 and one ultrawide 1080 monitor, but if I wanted to upgrade one or both monitors to 1440 or even 4k, what will I need?

You can drive 2 4K panels off of a laptop 2050, or just Intel integrated graphics for that matter. DisplayPort 1.4 is fine, HDMI 2.0 or newer is fine, you've been able to drive 3 4K displays off of Intel integrated graphics for more than a decade now if you have the ports.

Edit: go back a few years and people were gaming at a resolution equivalent to 3x4K with 2GB of VRAM, the actual VRAM used for multiple 4K desktops is well under 1GB.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2833

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 17, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Twerk from Home posted:

You can drive 2 4K panels off of a laptop 2050, or just Intel integrated graphics for that matter. DisplayPort 1.4 is fine, HDMI 2.0 or newer is fine, you've been able to drive 3 4K displays off of Intel integrated graphics for more than a decade now if you have the ports.

Edit: go back a few years and people were gaming at a resolution equivalent to 3x4K with 2GB of VRAM, the actual VRAM used for multiple 4K desktops is well under 1GB.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2833

Whoa, cool, thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I suppose it may fall under "if you have the ports" but laptops can be wonky in how the DisplayPort lanes are wired up. My T480 only supported two 1080p displays at 60 hz via the Thunderbolt output or one 4k display at 30hz because they cannibalized some DisplayPort lanes to put an HDMI port in the thing. Doing anything beyond two 1080p monitors at 60hz required me to use the HDMI port as well, ruining the idea of a single port docking station.

Things can get even wonkier with discrete graphics and you can have a case that you have multiple USB-C ports supporting DP, but only one is attached to the discrete GPU.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How do I figure out what is the max resolutions it can support?

You find out the exact model name of your laptop, then go to the manufacturer website and read the specifications for your laptop.

This again makes me wonder why can't people just post the model. Someone would have probably told you the exact information by now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Here's an example of external monitor support from a modern laptop: https://knowledgebase.frame.work/external-monitor-support-on-the-framework-laptop-rk5GVUwyY

There are a lot of factors like refresh rate, bit rate, and protocol.

Also this:

Saukkis posted:

You find out the exact model name of your laptop, then go to the manufacturer website and read the specifications for your laptop.

This again makes me wonder why can't people just post the model. Someone would have probably told you the exact information by now.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Saukkis posted:

Lenovo LOQ Model 82XV000VUS

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Lenovo LOQ Model 82XV000VUS

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/LOQ/LOQ_15IRH8

Under Connectivity -> Ports, the HDMI is listed as v2.1 and 8K/60Hz - I would guess it will do 144Hz at least for anything 4K and lower. The DP-enabled USB port is v1.4 and therefore should be able to do at least 8K/30Hz or 4K/120Hz.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 18, 2023

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Saukkis posted:

This again makes me wonder why can't people just post the model.
If only manufacturers would make it easy to find the model of the laptop you have. (Ubuntu will tell me "Lenovo Legion S7 16IAH7" but I don't think Windows would tell me anything so precise, and it's not written on the case anywhere.)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Eletriarnation posted:

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/LOQ/LOQ_15IRH8

Under Connectivity -> Ports, the HDMI is listed as v2.1 and 8K/60Hz - I would guess it will do 144Hz at least for anything 4K and lower. The DP-enabled USB port is v1.4 and therefore should be able to do at least 8K/30Hz or 4K/120Hz.

https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/LOQ/LOQ_15IRH8?M=82XV000VUS

Found mine, thanks, search engines are useless. Googling only gave me places to buy the laptop.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 18, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I keep having weird issues with my Lenovo Dock (ThinkPad Universal USB C Smart Dock - Type 40B2) and it's starting to get ridiculous.

First it was just shutting off all monitors/etc and telling me I needed to plug in an original power supply (which as it turns out, I was already using). I got it replaced under warranty after arguing with Lenovo for a bit, and the new one worked great...for three days, until it suddenly decided my 4k monitor is a 2560x1440 monitor when plugged in via HDMI, and a 1080p monitor when plugged in via displayport.

Again, this worked fine for several days, so this can't be a bare compatibility issue. I'm also using new cables from monoprice (1.4 for DP, 2.1 for HDMI). It also works fine when plugged directly into my laptop (which conveniently enough is my workaround for now).

On something that cost 2-300 bucks, this is pretty frustrating. Is there an actual gold standard for USB-C laptop docks that can handle 2 monitors, one at 4k? I can go back and request another warranty replacement but I use this for work and I'd almost rather bite the bullet and just swap it out for something I know will work.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 18, 2023

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Best Buy and Walmart currently have deals going for the Zenbook 14 OLED for both an Intel I7 and an AMD model.

Which would you prefer?

Best Buy: Zenbook 14x

Walmart: Zenbook 14

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Green Gloves posted:

Best Buy and Walmart currently have deals going for the Zenbook 14 OLED for both an Intel I7 and an AMD model.

Which would you prefer?

Best Buy: Zenbook 14x

Walmart: Zenbook 14

So I almost always say AMD, but the 7730 is the Zen 3 budget/low power cpu. It's still a good CPU but further away from the, say, 7840U than you'd think given the model numbers.

So here it will depend on your use case. The Intel is a faster CPU (30% or so, so significant) and a faster iGPU (smaller difference, 10-15%) but the AMD uses a lot less power and thus will have better battery and run cooler. On the whole I'd say the Intel is the better deal but if this is going to be a mobile productivity/web browser laptop the AMD may be worth more due to the more efficient processor.

Both are a good deal at the price point.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Lockback posted:

So I almost always say AMD, but the 7730 is the Zen 3 budget/low power cpu. It's still a good CPU but further away from the, say, 7840U than you'd think given the model numbers.

So here it will depend on your use case. The Intel is a faster CPU (30% or so, so significant) and a faster iGPU (smaller difference, 10-15%) but the AMD uses a lot less power and thus will have better battery and run cooler. On the whole I'd say the Intel is the better deal but if this is going to be a mobile productivity/web browser laptop the AMD may be worth more due to the more efficient processor.

Both are a good deal at the price point.

Thanks I will go with Intel. I found an open box for $628 locally. So its pretty much in line with the Walmart with better specs.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
If I get a Thinkpad T450s, which uses 802.11ac wifi, does that mean it won't be able to connect to 2.4ghz networks?