Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wow, chocolate and peanut butter, together, how NOVEL and ORIGINAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm beginning to think that Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Star wars fans want to feel how it was in 1977. Me personally? I want to see zack's offbrand 40k movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've seen it before in so many other mediums; people who don't actually like what they claim to be fans of, they just like their nostalgia. There's no actual elements or ideas they can explain why they like it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Reserving full judgement until I've seen the film, but my expectation is that Zack Snyder has made Star Wars unacceptably good again. The fans barely tolerate Andor and that's a fully integrated Star Wars Expanded Universe story with cross-over potential and the background characters you love. Rebel Moon, made without care to Star Wars canon, is going to be heresy. It's stealing Star Valour!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it is pretty interesting how Disney has so polluted the waters of the Star Wars Extended Universe. people are accusing this movie of being "star wars with the serial number filed off" or whatever and I'm like "cool, a story without really lame baggage attached to it"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so it’s Star Wars with zero percent chance I need to watch clone wars to understand what’s going on. sold

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
star wars with no chance of filloni's mary sue waifu??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would rather have Ashoka than Rey, still.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rey is charismatic. Ashoka isn’t anything. She’s monotone and dull and smug.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, live action Ahsoka sucked poo poo. The entire live action series are a joke minus… of course…

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only acceptable Star Wars film to like is The Last Jedi because it mentions the military industrial complex once and never does anything with it. The rest of it are things that were in previous films its superfans pretend weren't there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The new trilogy is everything people think they hate about Snyder.

Only good visuals.
poo poo story.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah but people currently hate the ST so I don't understand your point

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s cool to me that Snyder’s like “yeah this is my Star Wars ripoff movie. I made it to resemble Star Wars because it is based on Star Wars,” and now pro reviewers are like “hmm… heads up, consumers; I’m getting some distinct Star Wars vibes here.”

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Made all the funnier considering that one of the primary themes the series explored was resisting giving into the power of hatred

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jimbot posted:

The only acceptable Star Wars film to like is The Last Jedi because it mentions the military industrial complex once and never does anything with it. The rest of it are things that were in previous films its superfans pretend weren't there.

My favorite thing about Last Jedi superfans is when they point out that it's so great to finally have a Star Wars movie where someone who's not a Skywalker can become a Jedi. Yes... definitely not something we've ever seen before in a Star Wars movie. Also reminds me of how Lawrence Kasdan after Force Awakens came out talked about how Kylo Ren was such a unique villain because he started off as a Jedi before turning to the dark side... this is from the guy who cowrote Empire and Jedi.

Also think it's really funny when its supporters both embrace the thing the movie's villain says ("let the past die") and ignore that the ending scene is Luke rejecting the "radical critique of Star Wars" that they think the movie is saying. Like, all the "radical" stuff Luke says in the middle of the movie is explicitly rejected by Luke at the end but no one seems to grasp that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also think it's really funny when its supporters both embrace the thing the movie's villain says ("let the past die") and ignore that the ending scene is Luke rejecting the "radical critique of Star Wars" that they think the movie is saying. Like, all the "radical" stuff Luke says in the middle of the movie is explicitly rejected by Luke at the end but no one seems to grasp that.

Right. The actual conclusion of TLJ is "don't worry, children will still be playing with Star Wars toys for generations to come!" It's a story about struggling with the dark night of the soul, but for a brand. (Or slightly more charitably and diegetically, the Jedi religion.)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

When people start discussing The Last Jedi I feel like an alcoholic at a party where everyone else is drinking. Be cool tea party, everybody else can handle it but you, just go outside where you won't be tempted. You know it's tempting but it's not worth it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It’s cool to me that Snyder’s like “yeah this is my Star Wars ripoff movie. I made it to resemble Star Wars because it is based on Star Wars,” and now pro reviewers are like “hmm… heads up, consumers; I’m getting some distinct Star Wars vibes here.”

It is hilarious to me seeing people complain that the knowing riff on Seven Samurai and Star Wars isn't bursting with originality like the appeal isn't in seeing how Zack Snyder retells that story.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I'm not the world's biggest Zack Snyder fan but I respect anybody who is openly self-aware about their genre influence/trappings. The bountiful harvest of genre fiction that we have is made possible precisely because So much of it is derivative but remixed.

Maybe it's not exactly original to make a space opera, but what a sad world this would be if there was only one space opera

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nerds love Mass Effect, which is ripping off Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, and Star Wars

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tea Party Crasher posted:

When people start discussing The Last Jedi I feel like an alcoholic at a party where everyone else is drinking. Be cool tea party, everybody else can handle it but you, just go outside where you won't be tempted. You know it's tempting but it's not worth it

You bet your rear end when my friends talk about Star Wars/Star Trek/MCU/Snyder/whatever nerd property I shut my rear end up. There's a time and a place for vomiting up my heinous nerd opinions and that's this website.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

You bet your rear end when my friends talk about Star Wars/Star Trek/MCU/Snyder/whatever nerd property I shut my rear end up. There's a time and a place for vomiting up my heinous nerd opinions and that's this website.

Even online I have to restrain myself because I'm so inclined to go into hyperbole or direct vitriol towards that movie in specific. As many criticisms and gripes that I have, there are enough people who see something genuine in it that it makes me feel cruel and lovely when I go into a banshee rage about how boring I find it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As silly as this sub-forum can get, you can at least have conversations (that go in circles or in past each other or caused thousand page derails) about the body of the films. Other places on the net you can't even start one without the dumb culture war bullshit killing the conversation dead before it even begins. Like this sub-forum is one of the few places you can even talk about Snyder without it immediately derailing into the tired objectivist/fascism nonsense almost immediately or some culture war (only right-wing people watch Snyder, lefties watch Star Wars ((TLJ))) strawman. Star Wars to a lesser extent for different reasons (idiots going on about cultural marxists or sjws or woke or some other baby nonsense).

Basically that's just a long-winded way of saying you folks are alright! Decidedly neato!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I cannonball into every discussion with my bizarre, outlandish opinions until everyone present has pegged me as some kind of wise mystic who should be warily indulged.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh and with my Star Wars opinions, if I see my friends talking about it I insert myself into the conversation like the Kool-aid guy smashing through a wall and dropping my prequel opinions with such zeal they're taken as gospel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone is ripping off Star Wars? George Lucas is rolling in his grave.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

How dare someone smash a Kurosawa film together with a space opera. Everyone knows that’ll never work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rorschach is almost literally the template for comic book anti heroes, the melodrama, ultraviolence and ham-fisted moral ambiguity of muscular 90s punchmen is all based on him, something Alan Moore and everyone else rued for years.
Eh, well, don't you think those characters were more informed by e.g. Judge Dredd, Marshal Law, and other characters who were already gun-toting, musclebound antiheroes?

The difference between Moore's and Snyder's take on Rorschach is simply that Snyder has sympathy for him. Moore sums him up as, if I remember right, "a loser and a fool" and Snyder agrees.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

The difference between Moore's and Snyder's take on Rorschach is simply that Snyder has sympathy for him.

I can't find the quote off hand, but didn't Neil Gaiman once report that Alan Moore cried after killing Rorschach off?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Rorschach isn't the template, he's the distillation, yeah.

I do think there's a core irony to Rorschach in that in adding an element of patheticness to Rorschach, he was made more acceptable rather than less to the audience who has become just aware enough to think critically of the judge dreads and punishers. Violence is still in fact cool, but JUST doing violence BECAUSE it's cool has become passe, but doing violence because you're too hosed up by your own upbringing for regular society wraps you back around to being good again.

The audience who has not become aware enough to think critically of the judge dreads and punishers mostly just doesn't notice the element of pathethicness, and so also just thinks Rorshach is 100% cool as well.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

another big issue is that Rorschach IS extremely cool. so that's going to be a speed-bump immediately for the audience

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CelticPredator posted:

Rey is charismatic. Ashoka isn’t anything. She’s monotone and dull and smug.

If Rey is charismatic, Hayden's AotC Anakin is absolutely chewing the scenery in every shot he's in.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mandrel posted:

another big issue is that Rorschach IS extremely cool. so that's going to be a speed-bump immediately for the audience

He is the D&D murderhobo trope brought into comics, and people do love pretending to be murderhobos while rolling the dice.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I don't think it should be under estimated how important Rorschach being the only one to refuse the cover up is.

Yeah, he's a violent, smelly, right-wing, self-loathing homophobe, but he maybe had a line he wouldn't cross, unlike the slightly more respectable Night Owl.

Even if that stand contradicted his "Truman was correct to use the bomb" essay, having principles is something people can respect.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He can approve of mass death in the abstract, at a remove, but when confronted with it viscerally and asked to be complicit in it, he can't stand that. He has too much humanity in him, versus Doctor Manhattan who can only view any event in the abstract, at a remove

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also the essay he wrote about nuking japan was from when he was a teenager, so it's not like he's holding contradictory positions at the same time or anything. his character development might be bad, but he still underwent it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bogus Adventure posted:

If Rey is charismatic, Hayden's AotC Anakin is absolutely chewing the scenery in every shot he's in.

Daisy Ridley is a good actor dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Daisy Ridley is a good actor dude

I didn't say Daisy Ridley is a bad actor. I said Rey is boring as gently caress.