Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Conquer the kingom and fully indoctrinate all subjects as the only means of survival.

Ascendance of a bookworm is right over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Mao's a lot more seasoned this episode dealing with annoying ladies in waiting.
She name-dropped Jinshi at least this time. Different from the emperor's name which is of course much different. But at least she's being resourceful in using names she's connected to.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Man, I didn't recognize how HARD they hint at certain things, which shall remain nameless 'til they release on TV because I don't know if this is an anime-only thread. But still, two things about the background of two characters, hinted at boldly.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

OP doesn't say anime only, but that's what most of the discussion seems to be. For now I appreciate the lack of future spoilers, but I'm probably gonna read the LNs starting over Christmas so I'm also curious about what folks want regarding discussion of events in the LNs and/or mangas.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

perhaps people can restrain themselves for just 3 more months until the anime ends

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Tales of Woe posted:

perhaps people can restrain themselves for just 3 more months until the anime ends

Lmao we'll be lucky if they last 3 hours

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pan Dulce posted:

Man, I didn't recognize how HARD they hint at certain things, which shall remain nameless 'til they release on TV because I don't know if this is an anime-only thread. But still, two things about the background of two characters, hinted at boldly.

Hoho yeah. Some of the things that were in this last episode are incredibly relevant to the later LNs. It is pretty cool to see that stuff being setup even though I imagine the anime will probably never get to portray stuff that many books down the line.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

For anyone who reads the LNs I have a question. How many manga volumes are in one LN? Does it vary?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I'm not exactly sure where volume 12 ends, but I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 13 volumes to cover the first 3 LNs.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

I spent a while with a friend turning over some theories until we got something we were ok with that would also tie thematically into what we've seen so far. Have we gotten more in the anime than in the corresponding chapter of the books?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

I like this

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Pan Dulce posted:

For anyone who reads the LNs I have a question. How many manga volumes are in one LN? Does it vary?

About four manga volumes per LN volume, with a little wiggle room - like part of volume 8 in the manga is actually the first couple chapters of LN volume 3.

And yeah I'm keeping my peace about later manga and LN stuff, and really hope everyone else reading ahead does too.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

disposablewords posted:

About four manga volumes per LN volume, with a little wiggle room - like part of volume 8 in the manga is actually the first couple chapters of LN volume 3.

And yeah I'm keeping my peace about later manga and LN stuff, and really hope everyone else reading ahead does too.

Shiiiit. This is never going to adapt all the LN info, unless the mangaka is super lucky and gets to ride this gravy train to the bank, a la One Piece or Naruto.

Guess I'll dust off my spectacles and start reading the LNs.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Oh yeah, never happening. To pick a similar example: through some miracle bookworm is getting a fourth season and that's still only going to get to the point where it covers a third of the material total.

Apothecary isn't quite that long, but at a rate of two LN volumes/season it would still take like five to cover just the translated stuff.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
3 months?

wait is this not just one cour?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Don’t think I ever had real honey, just the fake stuff

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

3 months?

It's two cours, yeah. 24 Episodes ending on March 16.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

3 months?

Yeah, this is two cours so it's definitely adapting a decent amount but we wont get to the frog. Maybe afer Aoi Yuki does another stint as a spider will she get to be a cat again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

At the pace the anime is going it will cover one LN vol per cour. Yeah.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, this is two cours so it's definitely adapting a decent amount but we wont get to the frog. Maybe afer Aoi Yuki does another stint as a spider will she get to be a cat again.

She'll be a bird in the meantime.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

She'll be a bird in the meantime.

And a tiger-clad oni. Close enough.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
We only saw a little of Cocubine Ah-Duo, but I quite liked her from what we saw.

better than Lishu anyway, who is just a big headache.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ah-Duo's pretty cool. Would have liked to have spent more time with her. Lishu, I mostly just feel sorry for. What a mess she's been through.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like this is the kind of complaint I wouldn't make in a lesser anime, but everything else in this show is executed so well I can't help but comment on how the somewhat stereotypical character designs make the "big reveal" at the end of this episode soooooooooper obvious from the moment Ah Duo shows up

I understand that due to a lot of the rules of storytelling it's sometimes hard to hide these things effectively, but... makes me wonder if even something as simple as the monochrome nature of a manga adaptation would've done a better job of hiding it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

makes me wonder if even something as simple as the monochrome nature of a manga adaptation would've done a better job of hiding it

It doesn't.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

disposablewords posted:

Ah-Duo's pretty cool. Would have liked to have spent more time with her. Lishu, I mostly just feel sorry for. What a mess she's been through.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
so she's no longer a concubine, but she just moved like over the wall in the south district? and I guess she will still visit the emperor to drink together as just friends. Definitely a bit of a tragedy, like two servants gave their life for her, and its not like she got kicked out and became homeless. Did the servants not know this? And the emperor still values her so he will probably provide for her enough

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Finished book 4 earlier today after getting distracted for a bit. I've got some quibbles but overall pretty good still! A lot of stuff pays off, so much that having started book 5 it feels like I'm in for a lot of "well crap time to set up new plot pieces" for a while. Still a positive recommend on them so far for anyone inclined to check them out.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GateOfD posted:

so she's no longer a concubine, but she just moved like over the wall in the south district? and I guess she will still visit the emperor to drink together as just friends. Definitely a bit of a tragedy, like two servants gave their life for her, and its not like she got kicked out and became homeless. Did the servants not know this? And the emperor still values her so he will probably provide for her enough

Probably a bit far for that.

Also realistically speaking they're probably more than simply friends, but the job of "Emperor" in this setting doesn't really allow for just having a wife. Man gotta make babies.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

I understand that due to a lot of the rules of storytelling it's sometimes hard to hide these things effectively, but... makes me wonder if even something as simple as the monochrome nature of a manga adaptation would've done a better job of hiding it

They look like two peas in a pod in the manga too. I haven't read the books but I suspect that the introduction to Ah Duo is something like "she looks exactly like Jinshi but 2 inches shorter"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

trucutru posted:

They look like two peas in a pod in the manga too. I haven't read the books but I suspect that the introduction to Ah Duo is something like "she looks exactly like Jinshi but 2 inches shorter"

Not quite that blatant immediately, but it does lean on it pretty hard pretty quickly. You are extremely meant to make the connection this early on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

trucutru posted:

There's no illustration of Ah-Duo in book one of the LN as far as I remember. But MaoMao still makes her supposition about Jinshi's origins like she did in this episode so you only have the text to go on.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Now that we're 12 episodes in, can someone do a comparison and give the strengths and weaknesses of the different formats/adaptations? I'm really enjoying this, I just wish it was coming out faster.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i've only been reading the official english manga (the square enix one), and even then only up until approximately where the series is now, so i can't speak for the other manga or the lns. but:

so far i've been enjoying the adaption. the main differences are the ones you would expect: you get more of the characters' interiority in the manga, with even a narrator popping in from time to time (for instance we are explicitly told that maomao has a "budding sense of justice" in the first issue as motivation for her leaving the notes about face powder, maomao monologuing more frustration with lihua's attendents, etc.). since a lot of the events require maomao to not reveal what she knows/act stoically or submissively, i feel like the manga version of maomao, by giving us more of her decision-making process and emotions, results in a character with a bit more energy and agency. content-wise i didn't notice a ton of big changes, one thing that stuck out was that fengming is much more immediately suspicious in the manga: maomao even finds the slipper of maid who committed suicide in fengming's room almost immediately, and so most of the investigation is around looking for motives (i mean she's not exactly unsuspicious in the anime either, even right off the bat, but it's even more direct here). jinshi's pet name for maomao i think also hasn't come up very much in the anime? or maybe it has and my memory is going. i think today's episode has an interesting difference as well in that maomao seems more genuinely panicked and upset about leaving the palace (spinning palace montage and everything), whereas in the manga it felt more like "ugh, this isn't the best time", and jinshi's perspective seems more central.

just by virtue of the medium the anime can linger on things like scenery and meaningful silences and foreshadowing that are harder to do as explicitly in the manga (for instance, the kidnapping is just a panel or so in the manga, but is drawn out and includes some "gee i hope i don't get kidnapped today" bits to it in the anime). the little shudder movements that cat maomao gives whenever jinshi touches her are also more expressive than the manga, where it's usually just a death glare and a shudder onomatopoeia. and of course there's the rotoscoped hands scene. but otherwise i think the art is one place where the manga has more opportunity to shine. for instance, there's a bit more of a stylistic gamut, from full chibi pig mao mao to the stark panel for the slap, to the watercolor effect panel when the maid's corpse is found:

even in regular panels, the manga does a lot of interesting things with halftones. the anime art is fine i think, i don't mind it, and it can be very pretty especially when depicting the scenery of the palace or the courtesans in motion, but, other than the obligatory shifts from regular to cat maomao, it takes fewer risks.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 24, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As far as I can tell between rereading the two manga versions the GX (Shogakukan's Monthly Gene-X) manga version is a bit more fast paced? It certainly seems to lack certain things the manga that's getting adapted has, but without reading the LN, I'm not sure if it's the BG (Square Enix's Big Gangan) adaptation fleshing things out or the other one cutting things for brevity. To boot, the BG version has more pages per chapter. Each version has different bits they cut and include. For example, the BG version includes the part about Maomao salary getting "cut" while the GX version doesn't and moves the part where she threatens one of the servants in the Crystal Palace from when it happens chronologically to bringing it up when the servants meet at the garden party. Otoh, the GX version places Jinshi asking about the poisoned soldiers and the colored flames earlier where, I think, they happened in the LN that the BG version shuffled until it was relevant (I'm trying to go through the BG manga and I don't actually know where they put those scenes unless I missed them).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tree Goat posted:

with even a narrator popping in from time to time (for instance we are explicitly told that maomao has a "budding sense of justice" in the first issue as motivation for her leaving the notes about face powder

That particular line of narration is actually in the anime. Maybe the slightly different translation just stuck out to you less.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

As for the first LN, the B/W illustrations in the text usually focus on a single character and put a lot of detail on them. Little attention is paid to the background. There are a handful of color illustrations at the end of the volume which portray some fun moments of the book.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Clarste posted:

That particular line of narration is actually in the anime. Maybe the slightly different translation just stuck out to you less.

yep, just went back and dunno how i missed it. and there's narration in this episode as well, so i'm at least 2x wrong!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
2nd cour op is out, much more heavily romcom-y vibe than the 1st op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pmd1QiK-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The shot with the roses wilting and dropping off is a pretty cool way of introducing a character