Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I, too, come to beseech the wise and learned goons for recommendations for my Christmas list. I am always especially interested in sci-fi as a whole (The household already has a decent collection of genre classics so more off-beat, overlooked, etc. novels would be best), but am currently feeling an urge for cosmic horror, and I have always had a fascination for stories of mysterious, lost, or dead places; or the process by which those states of being come about. So, sci-fi as a whole, with an emphasis on Lovecraftian, Dying Earth, and apocalyptic fiction.

My thanks in advance!

You might want to look into M. John Harrison, particularly Viriconium or The Centauri Device. Or Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy.

Or if you want to go really old school, have you read Clark Ashton Smith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I, too, come to beseech the wise and learned goons for recommendations for my Christmas list. I am always especially interested in sci-fi as a whole (The household already has a decent collection of genre classics so more off-beat, overlooked, etc. novels would be best), but am currently feeling an urge for cosmic horror, and I have always had a fascination for stories of mysterious, lost, or dead places; or the process by which those states of being come about. So, sci-fi as a whole, with an emphasis on Lovecraftian, Dying Earth, and apocalyptic fiction.

My thanks in advance!

Dunsany's Pegana books were hugely influential on Lovecraft and still rule today even as proto-fantasy

You'll love basically anything by Michael Cisco

You might enjoy the Malazan books. There's a big emphasis on mysterious, lost or dead places.

Valancourt's re-releases of Robert Westall's horror fiction.

The Vampire Hunter D novels

City Under The Stars

Piranesi

The House On The Borderland by William Hope Hodgson

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

tuyop posted:

For fiction:
The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu is an epic “silkpunk” fantasy about an opportunistic bandit rebelling against a corrupt empire. Set in a fantastical medieval SE Asia, lots of leftist themes and ideas played with brilliantly.

Radicalized by Cory Doctorow is a series of short stories about radicalization. I believe I understand your husband based on your description and he’ll find these very enjoyable.

How Beautiful We Were by Imbolo Mbue is about a village that has its water poisoned by an oil company in a fictional West African country. The surreality of the experiences of the villagers is complimented with some light magical realism.

For non-fiction:
Necropolis: Disease, Power, and Capitalism in the Cotton Kingdom https://www.hup.harvard.edu/books/9780674241053
This is an incredible book about how capital captured public health in New Orleans and let Yellow Fever roll through the population for 100 years. Olivarius coins the term “immunocapitalism” to describe the system of privilege and perverse incentives that made this so stable and destructive. The parallels to the present are clear.

The Condition of the Working Class in England by Friedrich Engels
I think the blurb is perfect:

It’s public domain and available as audiobooks through Librivox so I wouldn’t buy it anywhere but it’s an excellent look at how far conditions can decline for us.

He’s likely read it, so it’s last but: The Dawn of Everything by Davids Graeber and Wengrow is an ambitious work on the history of anthropology and modern political philosophy, based on new breakthroughs in archaeology. I’ve probably ruined it, but in there is the story of how Indigenous North American political economy fueled the Enlightenment and the foundations of liberal philosophy (which, of course, led to the age of revolutions and the independence of the US). It’s written beautifully and cites hard evidence from all over the world that you don’t need violent hierarchies to run any kind of society worth living in. It’s kind of a masterpiece and the only issue is there were supposed to be three volumes but Graeber died of something.

Thank you, these all sound great! I bought him Radicalized and am noting the others to tell him to put on his list.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

boquiabierta posted:

Thank you, these all sound great! I bought him Radicalized and am noting the others to tell him to put on his list.

I apologize in advance for the rage some of the endings will enduce! In a good way :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Selachian posted:

You might want to look into M. John Harrison, particularly Viriconium or The Centauri Device. Or Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy.

Or if you want to go really old school, have you read Clark Ashton Smith?

fez_machine posted:

Dunsany's Pegana books were hugely influential on Lovecraft and still rule today even as proto-fantasy

You'll love basically anything by Michael Cisco

You might enjoy the Malazan books. There's a big emphasis on mysterious, lost or dead places.

Valancourt's re-releases of Robert Westall's horror fiction.

The Vampire Hunter D novels

City Under The Stars

Piranesi

The House On The Borderland by William Hope Hodgson

Awesome, thank you both! A couple of things here I'm familiar with but much I'm not, and thank you for reminding me about Clark Ashton Smith, I have always meant to read him but never got to it!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Opopanax posted:

That would be the aubrey maturin books

Selachian posted:

David Cordingly's Under the Black Flag is a really good history of the Golden Age of Piracy in the Americas if he might be interested in that sort of thing.

tuyop posted:

Oh man, I think Empire of Blue Water might be perfect for this. It’s about the rise and fall of captain morgan, including harrowing land expeditions to attack Spanish cities and stuff.

Gnoman posted:

Hard to go wrong with the classic Bounty trilogy by Nordhoff.. The middle book, Men Against The Sea, in particular sounds fitting.

yaffle posted:

Eric Newby's "The last Grain Race" might suit. At 16 (18 maybe?) he signs on as crew on the sailing ship Moshulu to bring grain from Australia back to Europe in 1938. He might also enjoy "Love and War in the Apennines" which take up where The Last Grain Race leaves off (more or less) and is about Newby's experiences during the war.

Khizan posted:

Maybe mountain climbing stuff like Into Thin Air? It’s a similar kind of non-fiction adventure story, and the kind of thing I definitely think of as prime dad lit.

rollick posted:

I liked the Thor Heyerdahl books about the Kon Tiki and Ra expeditions -- building boats with pre-industrial technology and sailing across the ocean. Tim Severin also did something similar, retracing famous voyages.

Other ideas: The Perfect Storm by Sebastien Junger (sea rescue), The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (space travel), maybe Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods too (just a light travelogue about a funny guy going hiking).

If he might like books that have been made into Tom Hanks vehicles, could try A Man on the Moon by Andrew Chaikin, Lost Moon by Jim Lovell or even Band of Brothers by Stephen A. Ambrose.

I feel like polar exploration and the space race are both classic dad fixations, so if he's into one of them there's like a million books out there for him.

(e: the number one classic dad fixation is obviously World War II, followed by Some Other War (misc), and the Roman Empire. But exploration books are up there).

escape artist posted:

Sounds like he might be into Nathanial Philbrick's nonfiction

Thanks all for the great suggestions for dad books. I ended up going with The Last Grain Race, but the other recs gave me ideas for books for my mom and sister. (my mom and I loved The Wager, another true story at sea book from the author of Killers of the Flower Moon)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Also, any suggestions similar to Bad Blood, in the sense of Silicon Valley fraud in this modern age of techno-grift? Crypto, Musk, NFTs, all fair game, just as long as its well researched and entertaining.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Number Go Up: Inside Crypto's Wild Rise and Staggering Fall by Zeke Faux just came out and sounds exactly like that sort of thing

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looking for recommendations for anything similar to Joe Abercrombie’s First Law books.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

Looking for recommendations for anything similar to Joe Abercrombie’s First Law books.

What do you like about them?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The battle scenes, the fantasy elements (without going full on LoTR), etc

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

RCarr posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora.
No large battles, but a group of thieves get in over their heads and having to survive assassins, the law and other gangs means plenty of knifework.
It has kind of a fantasy Ocean's Eleven vibe, with a focus on planning heists, taking place in fantasy Venice. Just humans, very little magic, but plenty of small fantasy elements.
The sequels are enjoyable as well, though not as good as the first book.

Alternatively; The Traitor Son Cycle.
Mercenary company, hired to defend a fortress during a siege.
Sieges, large scale battles, but more fantasy stuff than First Law. More magic, more races, paladins, people ascending to sainthood, etc.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 12, 2023

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
Just chiming in that this thread is a fantastic resource for gift-giving suggestions, you're doing wonderful work here!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

RCarr posted:

Glen Cook's The Black Company books

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Forgot to say thanks for the book ideas for my dad, scooped up something by Edward Rutherford for him.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Going slightly afield though Michener and James Clavell both wrote similar stuff set in Asia and the Pacific that probably matches better in tone. Check out _Shogun_, boomer dads will love it.

I would have loved to have gotten him a copy of Shogun, but Hulu is putting out a Shogun miniseries early next year. Which owns except for the fact that now everyone is rushing out to buy copies of the book and they seem to be sold out all over the place :(

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Just finished Chaos by Tom O'Neil and it's a must read for anyone who ever thought "Helter Skelter" was a neat read.

What other exposes are out there in a similar vein?

The Devil's Chessboard is already on my list.

Anything like the graphic novel The Department of Truth would be rad too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

C-Euro posted:

Forgot to say thanks for the book ideas for my dad, scooped up something by Edward Rutherford for him.

I would have loved to have gotten him a copy of Shogun, but Hulu is putting out a Shogun miniseries early next year. Which owns except for the fact that now everyone is rushing out to buy copies of the book and they seem to be sold out all over the place :(

The Rutherford pick is good too but clavells _Tai Pan_ is his second best book after Shogun.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Need a non-cliche crime thiller from an author who doesn't write a thousand books a year. A never ending bibliography is a huge red flag for me. Something that has a good character arc/development rather than just bodies with hasty backgrounds to serve a pristine plot. But also something with strong plot structure. Gimme

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

malnourish posted:

Just finished Mort today and rightly enjoyed it

The audiobook or the dramatization? I listened to the latter from audible recently, it was my first intro to prattchet and I liked it too. As an American I delight in regional English accents and dramatizations are a good way to enjoy that.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

caspergers posted:

Need a non-cliche crime thiller from an author who doesn't write a thousand books a year. A never ending bibliography is a huge red flag for me. Something that has a good character arc/development rather than just bodies with hasty backgrounds to serve a pristine plot. But also something with strong plot structure. Gimme

Given the assignment, I'll suggest The Night Manager by John le Carre. It's a book about a guy going undercover to try to disrupt an arms smuggler. It also seems structured as a negative of James Bond, which to me makes the path to the ending and the ending itself very interesting, but I don't want to spoil anything. I found several of the characters quite engaging, and the arcs go places (that may or may not be where one wanted them to go). The book has a different ending than the show, whose ending seemed to me a bit cliched.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

caspergers posted:

You might want to look into James Ellroy, Patricia Highsmith (particularly The Talented Mr. Ripley), or Jim Thompson.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

caspergers posted:

The strongest plotter in crime fiction was Donald Westlake/Richard Stark but his characters don't really develop (except for his Mitchell Tobin series) and he wrote a book a year. His books are always a joy to read however.

The Wire writer's room had a bunch of authors in the vein you're looking for:
George Pelecanos
Richard Price
Dennis Lehane

If you don't mind comics, Ed Brubaker's work is amazing

The Martin Beck novels

Stanley Ellin

Charles Willeford

Chester Himes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

caspergers posted:

Maybe they're just following Ray Bradbury's advice that it's impossible to write 52 bad novels in a row :colbert:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe they're just following Ray Bradbury's advice that it's impossible to write 52 bad novels in a row :colbert:

Odd, how come I never heard of the 8-ish good books he wrote before Fahrenheit?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Magnetic North posted:

Odd, how come I never heard of the 8-ish good books he wrote before Fahrenheit?

And nobody ever talks about Farenheit 1-450

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

caspergers posted:

There's a few of them by now, but I read Slow Horses earlier this year and it was good, and definitely a bit of a unique take on spy/crime stuff

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

caspergers posted:

Friend,, you should definitely read Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

fez_machine posted:

The Wire writer's room had a bunch of authors in the vein you're looking for:
George Pelecanos
Dennis Lehane
Don't particularly love the genre, but I will read anything these two wrote.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Still mad at Lehane for completely spoiling a previous book in one of his novels. I bought them both and read them in the wrong order. There was absolutely categorically 100% no reason for him to spoil the plot of the older work, but he did. I hate him. I will give him the finger if I ever see him.

e: So mad right now. "Väkjuu" Mr. Lehane!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azhais posted:

And nobody ever talks about Farenheit 1-450

:thejoke:

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

I'm stupid enough I legit thought I came up with this joke and I said on stage at an open mic. It did pretty well but it felt so hacky I had to drop it. As opposed to my totally non-hacky tight five :smugbert:

E: thanks for all the recommendations fellas

caspergers fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 17, 2023

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I'm in need of a good sci fi book for a book club for ladies who have never read science fiction before. I was thinking maybe of Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro, but I'm worried that they will look it up ahead of time and I feel that one is best if you read it without knowing anything about it. I don't trust those bitches! Any ideas? I love science fiction but I guess I'm trying to think of something more entry level but also just a good read.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bookish posted:

I'm in need of a good sci fi book for a book club for ladies who have never read science fiction before. I was thinking maybe of Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro, but I'm worried that they will look it up ahead of time and I feel that one is best if you read it without knowing anything about it. I don't trust those bitches! Any ideas? I love science fiction but I guess I'm trying to think of something more entry level but also just a good read.

R.U.R.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bookish posted:

Four Ways To Forgiveness by Ursula Le Guin
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Bookish posted:

The Infinite and The Divine by Robert Rath. It's a very fun book about the millennia-spanning feud between two immortal beings trapped in super powerful robot bodies. There's a lot of space ships and such but it's always anchored by these two very well-realized characters and their extremely human desires and bickering. It merges space opera and odd couple style shenanigans shockingly well.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

caspergers posted:

The audiobook or the dramatization? I listened to the latter from audible recently, it was my first intro to prattchet and I liked it too. As an American I delight in regional English accents and dramatizations are a good way to enjoy that.

Drama. Finished Equal Rites and onto Wyrd Sisters now, so far, so good!

tuyop posted:

Friend,, you should definitely read Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk

Having just finished that book myself, I'd instead recommend Peace by Gene Wolfe.

It scratches a very similar itch and I found the story much more emotionally resonating, the writing better, and it was quite simply scarier in hindsight.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 18, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

caspergers posted:

Tokarczuk was recommended earlier, you should also give Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman a try

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, just looking for some books my mom would like. Last year she asked for these 4 books:

Two Nights in Lisbon, by Chris Pavone
Trust, by Hernan Diaz
A World of Curiosities, by Louise Penny
A Twist of the Knife, by Anthony Horowitz

I looked for new stuff by those authors but no luck. Can anyone give me suggestions based on those? She often likes thrillers and mysteries, especially bestsellers. She reads a lot, so she might have already read the most popular ones.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Morning star by Knausgård might do it, from the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Got a craving for some military historical fiction and was going to look at Sharpe and Aubrey-Maturin.

Is it best to start them at the start? Or is there a better jumping off point for a first timer?