Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wrageowrapper posted:

Also don't forget the Christmas music thread in gbs. You not only can be bad at music you probably should be.

Yay, thanx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wrageowrapper posted:

Also don't forget the Christmas music thread in gbs. You not only can be bad at music you probably should be.

"all i want for christmas is you" tenor sax sheet music -> multed into Hyperion reverb and morphagene

then I sing through spectraphon

:hmmyes: but the clock is ticking fast

e:

idk if i can do this that uses basically all of the secret keys to hit unreasonably high notes. If i could take the week off.... and send the kids away....

further edit: I have abandoned the expert level and am going to see if I can butcher the intermediate level version which gets the point across without going into the satanic octaves. Use a friggin alto if you need to do that poo poo, IMO, and if you have to hot swap during a song, you're just cribbing a boss guitar move :colbert:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 10, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0IFYu-Di9E

Spectraphon is insane amounts of fun even without the new firmware.

All this audio started as a cassette sample from my uncle's jazz band. Somewhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was fully expecting E1M1 from that title. Make it happen :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially considering Doom is 30 years old today.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Was fully expecting E1M1 from that title. Make it happen :colbert:

:hmmyes:

E: also one of the first things I did with spectraphon was run the E1M1 music as a .mid into hydrasynth, to bitbox, and then spectraphon:
https://m.soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/2026-06-08-doomed-to-spectal

xzzy posted:

Especially considering Doom is 30 years old today.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 11, 2023

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
In my old hood, no less: A very cool idea for the kids

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Paywalled, what's it say? e: I link string says "synth library brooklyn" so I'm guessing its about a synth library in Brooklyn

Also, new firmware for Arturia Minifreak dropped today. New wavetable engine, supersaw, some new lfo and sequencer stuff, a bunch of presets. Seems p cool.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Paywalled, what's it say? e: I link string says "synth library brooklyn" so I'm guessing its about a synth library in Brooklyn

Also, new firmware for Arturia Minifreak dropped today. New wavetable engine, supersaw, some new lfo and sequencer stuff, a bunch of presets. Seems p cool.

Here's the library's website https://synthlibrarynyc.org/About-1

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The first thing I did to the TD3 when I got it was darken the filter, so I could make dark acid.

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/fiddler

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Building a 7u84, possibly today, if not, next week. I am out of space and I want to make my 6u70 into a dedicated video box, and then use the 7u84 as an upgrade to my main rack.

Who has 1u rows, and what do you do with them? I thought about a plum o_c and some other utility stuff but in the end I settled on (and ordered from Pusherman) a Lange Anna, which is a 3x 1-4 buffered mult @ 84hp. I will probably snag the 3u version of the Arm expander which just provides one more set of outputs.

My workflows seem to often involve sending 1-2 pitch CVs around various things and also often passing an audio channel around multed a lot into different stuff, so having a big rear end bus along the whole top of the case seems sweet. Or bottom; I need to figure out my layout.

I have all the parts, I wish I had a bored friend who'd do woodworking at like fifty bucks an hour to come tack it all together, because that would still end up being cheaper than a rackbrute or w/e and gently caress do I not have much time. I need to bust rear end at work today so I can ski tomorrow.

CVS001 - Circuit Bent Video Enhancer showed up yesterday. It has no problem eating mainbow output but I think it shines the most when mainbow is manipulating video.

edit: Just mainbow output, 1st ~7secs are mainbow, then we cut to same patch processed through a CVS001 patch being hit by an LFO from Mainbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs4wKy2ZjuM

This one is Mainbow processing Alice In Wonderland, same deal, first we see what mainbow is doing, then a cut to CVS001 bent. I really like the effect here, we go further from "recognizable movie" into "woah man there was something unusually funny in that tab of acid I took".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnZsuM4QMw

As you'd expect, as an enhancer, CVS001 has a more profound effect on things which have well defined edges etc, so, getting pure mainbow output to do interesting things is a higher bar. I'll definitely continue to explore it, though.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 12, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

For 1U, I have a befaco stereo mixer, and output modules, a bernoulli gate by someone else I can't remember, a filter from intellijel, a quantizer and hi hat modules from mosaic (great selection of lower cost 1U).
The motion meter 1U is pretty tempting.

Oh, and I almost forgot my cutest little module https://www.mosaic1u.com/shop/p/led

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Who has 1u rows, and what do you do with them? I thought about a plum o_c and some other utility stuff but in the end I settled on (and ordered from Pusherman) a Lange Anna, which is a 3x 1-4 buffered mult @ 84hp. I will probably snag the 3u version of the Arm expander which just provides one more set of outputs.

I have a bunch of 1U stuff, a lot of it intellijel - mults, oscilloscope, filter, steppy, quadratt, output and headphone out, plus a 1U o_c, probably some others I'm forgetting. I have a couple of the small Intellijel palette cases and a 10U84HP case I built so I get a lot of use out of 1Us. The modules that get the most use are the mults and the quadratt, followed by steppy if I've built out the case for it. I almost never use the o_c for some reason, probably option paralysis.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The Intellijel Midi 1U system is bonkers if you're using your system with a DAW and you like to patch up multiple independent "instruments" in your rack. You can expand it with up to 4 CVx expander modules, each giving 8 CV outs, for a total of 40 CV outs. Everything is assignable and programmable in their downloadable utility. You can make polyphonic blocks, you can make drum kits, you can define trigger length, note ranges, note priority etc for each CV out. It's definitely been exactly what I wanted out of Eurorack MIDI

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

toadee posted:

The Intellijel Midi 1U system is bonkers if you're using your system with a DAW and you like to patch up multiple independent "instruments" in your rack. You can expand it with up to 4 CVx expander modules, each giving 8 CV outs, for a total of 40 CV outs. Everything is assignable and programmable in their downloadable utility. You can make polyphonic blocks, you can make drum kits, you can define trigger length, note ranges, note priority etc for each CV out. It's definitely been exactly what I wanted out of Eurorack MIDI

that's super cool but I've already got an ES-9 interface to my DAW setup and also has MIDI I/O.

There's also a reason I asked this question after paying for Lange Anna. Which was 220 shipped and fills all the space. But I am sure I will build more 3x+1U racks in life.

I almost never use the o_c for some reason, probably option paralysis.

I've used like 7 out of 200 different modes on my Disting EX, lol. But, you know, Disting has an audio-to-pitch-CV that can be patched to its own compressor that really isn't exactly like much else out there. O_C has that harrington mode which, ditto.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Harrington 1200 produces the most unlistenable loving "chords" in the world and I hate it. At least let me requantize the results back into a proper scale.

"Neo-Riemannian transformations" are a mistake and an abomination.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Harrington 1200 produces the most unlistenable loving "chords" in the world and I hate it. At least let me requantize the results back into a proper scale.

I've been told that art which provokes an intensely negative reaction in some significant amount of art-experiencers is "good art".

Please don't shatter this idea, the whole concept that I am good at things is based on the number of things I do which I am told are "nearly intolerable".

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I've been told that art which provokes an intensely negative reaction in some significant amount of art-experiencers is "good art".

Please don't shatter this idea, the whole concept that I am good at things is based on the number of things I do which I am told are "nearly intolerable".

https://youtu.be/-ZpNlxoXpQg?si=xavFsTrYbhI8DhJ-

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Tayter Swift posted:

I dunno, I've gotten some cool stuff out of it: https://rocketmermaid.bandcamp.com/track/fernweh

I finally succumbed to the siren call of the Versio platform, and Desmodus Versio is a drat fine piece of kit so far. I've been prepping for an ambient gig I'm playing in a month, and I'm finding that its "infinite" mode with lots of shimmer is fantastic for haunting drones. Hell, brushing the springs of a spring reverb and outputting that into Versio is pretty much instant Halloween music. This thing is far from a traditional reverb but/and it rules.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

RocketMermaid posted:

I finally succumbed to the siren call of the Versio platform, and Desmodus Versio is a drat fine piece of kit so far.

Heck yeah, the DV is my favorite eurorack effect that I've tried. It sounds insanely good and really unique. Ive been putting it on drums a bunch and making use of the ducked/gated reverb thing it does.

The fact you can switch out the firmware to their other DSP effects is a bonus but it actually makes me want to add a Ruina to my setup. That's how they get ya.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

They got me by showing up as a delightful surprise on the Microfreak.
Oscillators from Noise Engineering? Cool.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

B33rChiller posted:

They got me by showing up as a delightful surprise on the Microfreak.
Oscillators from Noise Engineering? Cool.

Yep, it's pretty nice having those (and all the MI stuff too) on the Minifreak.

I found out about the woovebox a little while ago and thought it looked pretty rad. A tiny groovebox with a full bespoke synth engine, sampler, multipart sequencer with song mode and a million features made by some Australian guy. It fits in your pocket! Very cool. Also very sold out, of course. So I put myself on the list and then, in order to scratch the tiny, single-creator groovebox synthtoy itch, I ordered a Nunomo Qun mk II. Not as fully featured but much weirder. I figured it would be months before I heard back from woovebox but as soon as I got word the Qun mk II shipped, I got an email from woovebox and just now put in my order. Looks like I'm gonna have a bunch of minisynths in short order. Now I'm wondering if I'll ever hear from Audiothingies about that Micromonsta 2....

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Count me as a versio fan as well. I like using the Imitor Versio firmware.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

"this video stuff is probably just like other eurorack" turning out to be one of the dumber thoughts I've had lately

wikipedia posted:

A composite video signal combines, on one wire, the video information required to recreate a color picture, as well as line and frame synchronization pulses. The color video signal is a linear combination of the luminance (Y) of the picture and a modulated subcarrier which carries the chrominance or color information (C), a combination of hue and saturation. Details of the combining process vary between the NTSC, PAL and SECAM systems.

The frequency spectrum of the modulated color signal overlaps that of the baseband signal, and separation relies on the fact that frequency components of the baseband signal tend to be near harmonics of the horizontal scanning rate, while the color carrier is selected to be an odd multiple of half the horizontal scanning rate; this produces a modulated color signal that consists mainly of harmonic frequencies that fall between the harmonics in the baseband luma signal, rather than both being in separate continuous frequency bands alongside each other in the frequency domain. The signals may be separated using a comb filter.[6] In other words, the combination of luma and chrominance is indeed a frequency-division technique, but it is much more complex than typical frequency-division multiplexing systems like the one used to multiplex analog radio stations on both the AM and FM bands.

A gated and filtered signal derived from the color subcarrier, called the burst or colorburst, is added to the horizontal blanking interval of each line (excluding lines in the vertical sync interval) as a synchronizing signal and amplitude reference for the chrominance signals.

the practical upshot of this seems to mostly be understanding why some hue/saturation combos really glitch out but also has a ton of gear design implications. I'm realizing I never really understood how analog video worked.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 13, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A prototype keyboard that Moog built for David Rothenberg got recreated into a playable state. The video doesn't do a very good job actually demoing what it sounds like but the bits that are in there have it sounding like the most spacey farts ever farted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYL2LtMZFQ

Article with a little more history: https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2023/12/long-lost-moog-synthesizer-finally-makes-it-stage

I despise microtonal stuff but I still wanna play with that thing.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
With a divide down oscillator, thing's the wildest stringer ever made :yum:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYdAgrOKWSM

I'm figuring out mainbows audio abilities and limits. It's got 4 different modes; 2 of them relate to peak detection (used here), and 2 of them display a tunable version of the spectrograph itself as video.

The first thing works real good for being response to drums or high transient peaks; the second works real good for being fed whole-audio streams or individual voices with intesting/complex spectra.

I've got a 3rd send setup in Ableton now, so that ES-9 can only pass some subset of audio back to Mainbow.

Outside of other actual video synthesis modules, the things on my mind now are: video rate matrix mixers, LZX voltage clockable LFOs, etc.

Someone compared using an audio CV mixer for video, to "passing all your audio through an LPG you can't control". This seems apt; audio is 20hz-20khz and video is ~60hz - 10mhz, so even audio gear that's overbuilt to go way out of range, will lose some information. There's visual examples floating around online of video going through audio VCAs vs an LZX thing. Interesting.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Just got this weird little thing. It is...esoteric. I knew when I ordered it there was going to be a learning curve but so far this thing is somewhat impenetrable. Like, you'd figure you could goof around with it a bit and make some sounds and poke at it to see what it does but even getting it to make a sound is unintuitive. I'd seen some stuff online where people talked about it being hard to figure out but didn't think about it too much I guess. Also its a pocket synth that doesn't have a battery, or a place to put batteries, which seems like an odd choice. And micro USB for power, gah. TRS midi tho! Gonna gently caress around with it more and see if getting over the initial learning curve is worthwhile and if not it goes on craigslist when the woovebox shows up.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

*shaping my mashed potatoes into a facsimile of the tip top x buchla 296t*

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

*shaping my mashed potatoes into a facsimile of the tip top x buchla 296t*
Diy all over the place these days.
From the smallest
https://youtu.be/bmFmsn6VZSM?si=RXLZvA83I4mKRJbo
To really big
https://youtu.be/KyOwUBCtwG8?si=-wp1ExE3alJ7PjKC

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Made this a bit thicc and may cut it down before making a top for it, woodworking is very imperfect and I still need to make a top, but it all works fine so went from 60u70 to 7u84 in primary box. I think the Lange Anna is gonna be real nice and also I will get an Anna's Langer Arm 4hp 3u.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
What are you using for power? External power supply or did you build it internally?

Just saw a thing on a new sequencer/random cv source from Jasmine and Olive Trees called Water. It's a neat sequencer module but the cool thing is that you can change the firmware to switch it to their Traffic module, very similar to NE's Versio platform. Im liking this trend of multifunction modules, considering how expensive this hobby is.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 16, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

What are you using for power? External power supply or did you build it internally?

Just saw a thing on a new sequencer/random cv source from Jasmine and Olive Trees called Water. It's a neat sequencer module but the cool thing is that you can change the firmware to switch it to their Traffic module, very similar to NE's Versio platform. Im liking this trend of multifunction modules, considering how expensive this hobby is.

The next advance along those lines should/might be to have enough onboard storage (or whatever hardware necessary) so that the different firmwares can be switched between internally without whatever process is involved now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

There's a normal psu and two busboards in the bottom of the case. Even at that it's thicker than it needs to be, I may cut it down a bit in depth.

$200ish build. Couldn't find a 7u84 pre build much under 600.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Building stuff is cool and good.

You are cool and good.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Building stuff is cool and good.

You are cool and good.

Thanks for the encouragement, the next project is angled ears to let me mount my nifty case on top of the bArp

You never run out of space if you just keep making it bigger like some spatial Jenga game

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

There's a normal psu and two busboards in the bottom of the case. Even at that it's thicker than it needs to be, I may cut it down a bit in depth.

$200ish build. Couldn't find a 7u84 pre build much under 600.

Ah, yeah. I used a Meanwell transformer and diy'd some busboards from AI synthesis for mine. I'm looking to build out a bigger case in the near future but I'd like two rows of 1U and I'd make it a two section angled/straight. My current case is a straight box and at 10U its a little unwieldy. Its fun and cool to build your own case if you have the tools and means.

B33rChiller posted:

The next advance along those lines should/might be to have enough onboard storage (or whatever hardware necessary) so that the different firmwares can be switched between internally without whatever process is involved now.

That J&OT module has a dipswitch on the back, which is better than the NE Versio method which requires you to plug in a USB and have it connect to their website. That's the one thing I don't like about Versio. It would be better if you could at least download the firmware and store it offline for when their website eventually breaks.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Oh boy, am I excited to make this post! I did a thing for a friend and long time mentor for Christmas and I've been tight lipped about it because I know that in theory they have an account here, but they couldn't wait until the 25th to crack the box when they saw how big and heavy it was. The backstory is that this person is a long time skateboarder who I made a pact with to buy bArps last year, but they don't have any other Euro. So, trying ti pull them in but also give them a cool thing that instantly plays nice with the bArp. The other part of the backstory is that this is as much a reflection of gratitude for ~2 decades of friendship and mentoring, as it is a 2023 Christmas present.

The... Skakethesizer.

These videos were really geared at giving him a basic overview, but... it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-IaAdgOQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfKXbY_xKOA

e: marbles is fun as gently caress, the government should provide everyone with one

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

I'd seen some stuff online where people talked about it being hard to figure out but didn't think about it too much I guess. Also its a pocket synth that doesn't have a battery, or a place to put batteries, which seems like an odd choice. And micro USB for power, gah. TRS midi tho! Gonna gently caress around with it more and see if getting over the initial learning curve is worthwhile and if not it goes on craigslist when the woovebox shows up.

I have 2 nunomos, they are quite intuitive once you get it.
The developer is very active on the discord, and he just started a new series of tutorials. If you haven't, go to the github and download the sd image, it has a bunch of preset sounds, and the manual is available there too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSR3ob0aQUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Cabbages and Kings, you might be interested: inshallah, I have a BPMC Video Nasty on the way, to join my burgeoning stable of A/V monsters.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks again for the Behringer 2500 modules. All of them arrived and the process of finding case space/eurorack feng shui has begun.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 18, 2023