Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the only way to know if Purdy is elite or not is for 49ers to jettison all their offensive talent so they should do that as soon as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Purdy is 2nd in Air Yards / Completion but he’s 11th in Intended Air Yards / Completion. The stats suggest he is generally taking shorter passes but on occasion takes advantage of when play design and talent provide huge air-yard down-the-field openings.

Purdy is also middle of the road on advanced accuracy stats (like bad throw %), which is further evidence that the deep throws are just… a normal qb in an extraordinary situation.

At 10th out of 32, it doesn't suggest that unless you're predisposed to interpret it so. A more charitable person would say he's taking what the defense gives him until he sees a deeper open shot to take advantage of; something most great QBs do.

Bad Throw % is a stat that "punishes" QBs who throw with anticipation and/or throw to lead their targets in order to give them more YAC, which I believe we can agree is the kind of QB Purdy is.

Again that’s not saying Purdy is bad, but it’s further evidence that he’s not an MVP player making incredible plays. He’s just working the machine that Shanahan built.

It's not evidence of anything. It's potentially suggestive of some things that you would seemingly like to be true, but only if looked at through a biased lens.

Purdy’s receivers/tight ends are also hilariously better at catching than other teams. Purdy/SF leads the league in lowest drop rate at an unbelievable 2.0%. 2nd place is 3.5%. League median is around 4.7%. The gap between first place (Purdy) and second place is bigger than the gap between second and twenty-first.

If you want to continue to hold the talent on his team against him, that's your prerogative.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats kind of the crux of an MVP argument, yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean by more charitable you mean Homer then sure you can extrapolate till he’s basically Tom Brady if you so chose

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean by more charitable you mean Homer then sure you can extrapolate till he’s basically Tom Brady if you so chose

I don't think anyone has insinuated that Brock is a cheater.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Purdy is 2nd in Air Yards / Completion but he’s 11th in Intended Air Yards / Completion. The stats suggest he is generally taking shorter passes but on occasion takes advantage of when play design and talent provide huge air-yard down-the-field openings.

Purdy is also middle of the road on advanced accuracy stats (like bad throw %), which is further evidence that the deep throws are just… a normal qb in an extraordinary situation.

Again that’s not saying Purdy is bad, but it’s further evidence that he’s not an MVP player making incredible plays. He’s just working the machine that Shanahan built.

Purdy’s receivers/tight ends are also hilariously better at catching than other teams. Purdy/SF leads the league in lowest drop rate at an unbelievable 2.0%. 2nd place is 3.5%. League median is around 4.7%. The gap between first place (Purdy) and second place is bigger than the gap between second and twenty-first.

He’s a fine QB but he ain’t an MVP caliber QB.
Honest question: Have you watched any of his film? You're talking a lot about his stats but looking at the film is equally important. You have brought up his receivers having a lot of YAC and not a lot of drops like that means its a bad thing for Purdy when if you look at the same offense with the same players, as mentioned above, there were more drops and less YAC. Therefore seeing how/where Purdy throws his passes by watching film, I think the low drop % and high YAC numbers show how good he is; he has AMAZING anticipation, excellent touch, and impeccable placement which means it is easier for his (good) WRs and TE to catch (low drop rate) then run after they catch (good placement so they can run after making the catch).

I'm not trying to argue that your last line is wrong, but I have questions about how to came to that conclusion.
edit: Well, I will argue that he is more than "a fine" QB. I think he is top 5ish if you are looking at play this year (and not looking at contract/age/injuries).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Parallax posted:

the only way to know if Purdy is elite or not is for 49ers to jettison all their offensive talent so they should do that as soon as possible

It makes sense. This is good scientific process.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Honest question: Have you watched any of his film? You're talking a lot about his stats but looking at the film is equally important. You have brought up his receivers having a lot of YAC and not a lot of drops like that means its a bad thing for Purdy when if you look at the same offense with the same players, as mentioned above, there were more drops and less YAC. Therefore seeing how/where Purdy throws his passes by watching film, I think the low drop % and high YAC numbers show how good he is; he has AMAZING anticipation, excellent touch, and impeccable placement which means it is easier for his (good) WRs and TE to catch (low drop rate) then run after they catch (good placement so they can run after making the catch).

I'm not trying to argue that your last line is wrong, but I have questions about how to came to that conclusion.

I’m a fan of an NFC West team and I also think Shanahan is an incredible coach who I love to watch. So yes, I have seen many niners games this season.

I have questions about how anyone who watched the niners this year could not think Purdy has about the best context possible for a qb. Shanahan is spectacular.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have questions about how anyone who watched the niners this year could not think Purdy has about the best context possible for a qb. Shanahan is spectacular.
I dont think I mentioned anything about the context of Purdy being in a good situation? He is in an amazing situation but that doesn’t mean it makes Purdy’s special traits worse.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 15, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Also it is one thing to see 9ers games if you’re a Seahawks fan. That is not watching film. I’m talking about sitting down and watching some all-22 or at least something like the JT O’Sullivan breakdown videos.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There is no hope for people if they don't watch Purdy play and realize he is a Top 5 quarterback. Yes, his team is great, but he is a huge reason why.

I swear it has to be because he was drafted so late or he isn't the ideal size / arm strength. Like they're fooling themselves "He can't be this good - there has to be other reasons why!"

No, he's just the next Tom Brady (Not that he'll be one of the best QBs ever, way too early to say, but that he was a late round draft pick that's turned into an excellent quarterback).

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 15, 2023

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The 49ers would be more hurt by the loss of CMC, Deboo, or Kittle than by the loss of Purdy. Those guys create such a high floor that even the drop off from Purdy to Sam Darnold (which is substantial) would be less impactful.

That said, a pro-Purdy MVP argument that I haven't seen expressed is his tiny wee baby cap hit. If we are going to have a semantics argument about the word "valuable", why not throw in the fact that the 49ers are currently severely under paying based on their QB's market value? Hell, it's a big part of why they can be so stacked elsewhere.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Purdy doesn't suck but he also could be replaced by about 10 guys in the league if they were dropped into the 49ers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nodoze posted:

Purdy doesn't suck but he also could be replaced by about 10 guys in the league if they were dropped into the 49ers
Source your quotes.

edit: or at least list them

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 15, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like people are overhyping Purdy hard which is silly. He’s fine he’s doing good in a good situation. As a fan of the team you should be content with that as that is very very hard to get

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like people are overhyping Purdy hard which is silly. He’s fine he’s doing good in a good situation. As a fan of the team you should be content with that as that is very very hard to get

I'm definitely hyped on Purdy cause he's legit great but I would also be very happy with him not winning MVP, keep that chip on his shoulder

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think it was this one? In any case Kyle Shanahan deserves COY in every way and no one else is close.

https://twitter.com/thestevenruiz/status/1734600337820889448?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

this guy is like the world's #1 Purdy Hater for some reason. for example has has Purdy ranked on par with Justin Fields. he seems to really value draft position in his rankings

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
^ I remember people yelling about him having Purdy ranked 32nd entering the season, I hadn't checked since then, he's since been upgraded to 19th, behind Kyler Murray, Geno Smith, Jordan Love, Tom Brady, and two draft prospects.

Coldforge posted:

At 10th out of 32, it doesn't suggest that unless you're predisposed to interpret it so. A more charitable person would say he's taking what the defense gives him until he sees a deeper open shot to take advantage of; something most great QBs do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the thing is that Intended Air Yards/PA does not have much intrinsic good/bad implication and is another thing where you pretty much bring what you already think to the table or you need to look at nine million other things to contextualize. Being middle of the pack on this list could mean you're all checkdowns and deepshots, all intermediate, a flat distribution, half intermediate/quarter checkdowns/quarter shots, etc, and whether those were the right calls really depends on the play.

1. Levis
2. Stroud
4. Hurts
6. Lamar
8. Allen
10. Purdy
12. Dak
16. Herbert
17. Tua
18. Zach Wilson
26. Mahomes
29. Goff

My feeling on it is the supporting cast stuff is more a pro-Dak or Lamar argument than really a knock on Purdy. Lots of MVP QBs were throwing to good players but it is a plus when you're Lamar Jackson and have an entire top 5 offense on your back.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

this is my theory on why herbert is so overrated

It’s essential to the eye test—Herbert is gorgeous. That said, I think purdy is a qt thus a good qb

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i don't get the purdy looks thing, he looks like a qb to me. he's not like aidan o'connell who looks like my cousin when he was 11

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Source your quotes.

edit: or at least list them

In zero order.. Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Stroud, Hurts, Lamar, Allen, Cousins, Lawrence, Stafford, Tua

That is more than ten but I think all those guys can do what Purdy is doing right now, or better for some, if you dropped them on the 49ers. Again, that doesn't mean Purdy sucks but he's not like a top 5 QB in the NFL either. You could quibble about Stroud because of the body of work, but it's not like Purdys is huge either.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

After watching the Niners-Eagles game I do not think Hurts could replace Purdy, he just does too much stupid poo poo under pressure and the Niners o-line isn't good enough to give him time to operate. It's a below-average o-line! Nobody mentions that in the discussion of all the incredible weapons and tools Purdy has of course.

Also not sure Trevor could do it, he's got an awesome arm but he also seems to wilt a bit under pressure.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: quote is not edit

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nodoze posted:

In zero order.. Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Dak, Stroud, Hurts, Lamar, Allen, Cousins, Lawrence, Stafford, Tua

That is more than ten but I think all those guys can do what Purdy is doing right now, or better for some, if you dropped them on the 49ers. Again, that doesn't mean Purdy sucks but he's not like a top 5 QB in the NFL either. You could quibble about Stroud because of the body of work, but it's not like Purdys is huge either.
See thats why I was asking Ornery and Hornery about watching film. Hurts, Lamar, Herbert, and Dak are all good to great. Stroud looks promising. Lawrence still has a lot to prove. I dont think any of those 6 can throw with the anticipation and/or touch Purdy is. Disclaimer: I have not watched film on all of those guys and I am not saying I think they are bad. I am saying that, with the film (not games, but actual film) that I have been able to watch of this season, I think Purdy has better anticipation and/or touch on his throws than they do, and I think that is part of what is fueling his hype. I think that is what has unlocked SF's offense, which he deserves credit for.

Vox Nihili posted:

the Niners o-line isn't good enough to give him time to operate. It's a below-average o-line! Nobody mentions that in the discussion of all the incredible weapons and tools Purdy has of course.
Trent is amazing but otherwise yeah this is an important point.

Vox Nihili posted:

Also not sure Trevor could do it, he's got an awesome arm but he also seems to wilt a bit under pressure.
Trevor maybe could with time. I honestly think he is still recovering and/or permanently broken from that year of Urban Meyer.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trent is amazing but otherwise yeah this is an important point.

Yeah, there's a reason most of the big Niners running plays are to the left. Trent opens up the run and he's awesome. The other guys...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kind of eluded to this before with my post about ranking MVP seasons overall but did Peyton not deserve the MVP award because he had an all universe offensive line and was throwing to
Marvin Harrison
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Stokely
with Edgerrin James in the backfield ?

Did Tom not deserve his when he had Moss and he threw 50TDs?

Does that Make Lamar Jackson's MVP season more impressive because he didn't have GOATs catching passes?

Was Cam's MVP season better because he had no left tackle, his offensive coordinator was loving horrid and his primary receiver was Ted Ginn?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can post fake number charts and graphs too

BlindSite posted:

I kind of eluded to this before with my post about ranking MVP seasons overall but did Peyton not deserve the MVP award because he had an all universe offensive line and was throwing to
Marvin Harrison
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Stokely
with Edgerrin James in the backfield ?

Did Tom not deserve his when he had Moss and he threw 50TDs?

Does that Make Lamar Jackson's MVP season more impressive because he didn't have GOATs catching passes?

Was Cam's MVP season better because he had no left tackle, his offensive coordinator was loving horrid and his primary receiver was Ted Ginn?

yes, to all of these questions

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
It's weird how people don't get or don't care that different QBs have different strengths and skillsets, or that some of them fit different schemes better than others :shrug:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alaois posted:

i can post fake number charts and graphs too

Let's see 'em then

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

It's weird how people don't get or don't care that different QBs have different strengths and skillsets, or that some of them fit different schemes better than others :shrug:

Can't judge a fish by how it climbs a tree.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
First time seeing this thread and I only read the OP but my bold take is that Desmond Ridder Stinks

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Big Jesus posted:

First time seeing this thread and I only read the OP but my bold take is that Desmond Ridder Stinks

He probably shouldn’t be MVP either then.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The 49ers would be more hurt by the loss of CMC, Deboo, or Kittle than by the loss of Purdy. Those guys create such a high floor that even the drop off from Purdy to Sam Darnold (which is substantial) would be less impactful.

Niners fell apart when Trent Williams was out. Trent Williams is the best player on that team.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MrLogan posted:

Niners fell apart when Trent Williams was out. Trent Williams is the best player on that team.

Trent Williams is powerful beyond measure, a modern day Goku

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think we're learning this season that the most important QB stat is games played and by that measure Purdy is elite top five with "all of them"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Thinking about this post right now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrLogan posted:

Purdy was concussed for two of those games.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

awwwwwwww dammit OBJ

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am Happy Bryce Young got given his big boy shoes and was allowed to run some hurry up and change plays at the line.

His last drive he had no incompletions inclduing 3 completions for 19+ yards, was perfect on the drive and combined with Hubbard got us 87 yards down the field for the game winner.

Wasn't the prettiest game but he was poised, efficient, decisive, accurate and more important effective on that drive and I'm happy he had a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I have updated my tier list on how teams feel about their QBs.

Only seven on the top row, mostly because I'm not sure what's going to happen with Tua and Dak's next contracts. I'm 90% sure that the Fins/Cowboys will pay through the nose, but until that happens I can't place them on the top row.

Second row, Geno's play has fallen off some and short of a Seahawks playoff appearance and maybe run, I could see the team taking a flyer on someone like Bo Nix in a later round, assuming that Nix falls to like Day 3. I'm also moving Russ up here; Denver isn't what they planned on being but he's no longer actively hurting the team by being on the field.

Carr and Kyler are on row three by virtue of not being hurt at the moment, otherwise they'd be with a lot of the QBs on row 4. A-A-Ron's big return is just so going to be dashed by the Jets' incompetence and being eliminated from playoff contention, what a shame. We'll see how Herbert does with whoever ends up with the Chargers gig but he's not going anywhere. Daniel Jones might be challenged a little bit by DeVito next season. Watson and Joey Jumpoff will be back next year.

If Stroud wasn't a rook he'd be on the top row instead of row 5, and if Richardson wasn't hurt he'd be here as well. Levis is going to be the starter going into next season unless he completely shits the bed in these last few games.

If the Bears end up picking first I don't see how they don't take Caleb Williams and deal Fields, if only to give a new coach/potential GM a fresh start, plus save money on the QB side unless Fields' agrees to a far below potential market value contract. Baker's been up and down and even a Geno-type contract might depend on Tampa winning the NFC South on the basis that someone has to. Love is signed through next season, but I could also see Green Bay taking someone late and giving them looks in training camp in case Love struggles next year.

I still think Stafford's going to hang them up after the year, and whoever ends up taking over in DC is going to want their own QB, and lol if they end up taking Drake Maybe and replace one bad UNC QB with another.

Pats are in line for a complete rebuild, Steelers as well though they won't fire Tomlin. Ridder is garbo and why Atlanta can't win a winnable division. Raiders are done with yet another QB and Vikings are destined to be starting someone new next year.

lol panthers